Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,341 members, 7,826,352 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? (26706 Views)

7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think / Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? / Help! My Brother Have Not Being Paid Since September 2014. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 26, 2015
Theory X and Y. ..redundancy noni..
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by whoisuche: 4:23pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:

Exactly my point.

Good so that at the end of the month u have the courage to ask for ur salary.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by fairheven: 4:23pm On May 26, 2015
Why don't you talk to him about it, that's if you are truly concerned
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by richard870(m): 4:38pm On May 26, 2015
Abeg keep doing nothing jare grin
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Sparkles003(f): 4:42pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:
What should be your response? or what are you expected to do? or what could be the implication? If your employer continue paying you, when you are actually doing nothing in the firm. Also note that he (employer) doesn't complain and has never threatened to drop you.

Matured answers please.... A fellow needs to know.
Presently in this same situation,tried going for marketing to at least bring one buyer they always doubt as if i go somewhere else.and if you leave the office for your own personal runs na gobe.so i just keep thanking GOD for my present job while praying to him to make way for me to be relevant to the company or give me another job where i will be relevant.thou i do go to errands and update the company website and other social medias.

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by NEROSKY(m): 4:44pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:
What should be your response? or what are you expected to do? or what could be the implication? If your employer continue paying you, when you are actually doing nothing in the firm. Also note that he (employer) doesn't complain and has never threatened to drop you.

I think KIM KARDASHIAN has this answer

2 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by deemma(m): 5:29pm On May 26, 2015
FOR A MAN OR WOMAN TO BE PAID WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING IS WRONG.YOUR BOSS MIGHT NOT BE COMPLAINING BUT SERIOUSLY SPEAKING,HE/SHE IS ONLY CHEATING YOU COS NO EXPERIENCE ABOUT THE JOB U RE CLAIMING TO BE WORKING ABI NA TO GO WARM SEAT FOR OFFICE BE UR WORK?WISE UP BRODA N SISTA.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by neduson(m): 5:43pm On May 26, 2015
First, it is the inalienable duty of an employer to provide work and when that is not done the employee can sue the employer despite being paid salary.
The implication is that by the provision of work the employee has an opportunity to learn and improve his skills and knowledge thus increases his/her chances for a bigger and better job.And when that is not done ,you have every reason to be worried.
For instance, In 2010 when Shuaibu Amodu was the coach of Super Eagles his contract among other things was to qualify Nigeria for the 2010 world cup, which He did. However the NFF went ahead and hired a foreign coach. Though NFF paid Amodu and sponsored him to SA, He sued upon return to Nigeira for Denial of work. The case was quietly and well settled out of court to Amodu's favour.Enough reason the man has not been so keen about Super Eagles job ever since.

So if you do not have the balls to sue your employer, I will advice you look for another Job.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by TheAlchemist: 5:45pm On May 26, 2015
Two possible scenarios 1. Your boss owns an oil bloc...or 2. He fears your Godfather that told him to employ you.

2 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by vislabraye(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2015
pocohantas:
Na Ministry?

Exactly. It's only in the ministry such things happen. But a private business ? Don'tthink do.

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 26, 2015
Don't wait for your name to be in the redundancy list.... seek better opportunities.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Ninilowo(m): 6:15pm On May 26, 2015
kilokeys:
kilantaa

ile ise ajibade. grin

bros abeg make i send my CV?

on a serious note.. u should help urself. responsibilities gives room for mastery. u need to b relevant anywhere u find urself
Gbam! Ile ise Ajibade niyen. Enjoy urself while it lasts
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by EkeBarry(m): 6:34pm On May 26, 2015
Make internal research(4rm coworkers) via d previous person b4 u in dat capacity wat were his roles...or ist a new position or simply appeal2dem on ur concern of being under-utilized...!
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by castro316: 7:02pm On May 26, 2015
Simply put. He is just waiting for the right substitute for you and when that happens, he's gonna drop you like it's hot. E go do you 'voom' in your eyes.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by frwadmvnt: 7:27pm On May 26, 2015
It's a very disturbing situation. I'm currently going tru a similar case. How can u explain this, a company trained 4 of u new guys but your manager keep sending other 3 out to fix and service machines ( on wc u r all trained). He only delegates jobs that r not so technically challenging to u or may even tell u to go home whenva there is no much job. No chance to even practice what u ve learn and to even learn more on field. Infact, this is given me a serious concern. But I am trying to be patient for a while shaa.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by felix281(m): 7:41pm On May 26, 2015
Most people that falls in this category are informant or gossipers in the organization,they are just there to give the boss any information concerning the other staffs whether true or false just to continue getting their favours from the boss...i have one right in my office,he usually loves to open up a conversation sequel to the happenings in the company,but as a guy man,i always keep mute or be nooding sheeplishly to his talk without uttering any word...life na sense!!
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by jify(f): 9:22pm On May 26, 2015
It happens mostly in a one-man business where the owner has so much money and does not know what to do with it but wants to own a business or office.

2 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by DonaldTrump(m): 9:22pm On May 26, 2015
@OP kindly ask John Obi Mikel as he'll be in a better position to answer such question.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Yunus2012(m): 10:31pm On May 26, 2015
I had a similar experience. I was actually given responsibilities way below my pay. Tried to make myself useful several times but was always rebuffed. Two months latter I was sacked. Later discovered that the employment was political In the first place. I was employed because of the person who revered me. It happens that the employer was looking for a favour from my refre. When the favour was not forth coming after me employed me he sacked me.
There are a lot of vacancies to be filled in the organisation but the guy prefers to over-work the staff and refused to recruit except for political reason.
The good thing is that that experience made me make up my mind not to seek for employment again. Not to be a pawn in anybody's game. To be an employer of labour myself.
Bottom line the guy could just be waiting for 'kick backs 'for employing your.

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by ayodejisure: 4:04am On May 27, 2015
Mbkite:

Your forefathers have done d work.... You have come to receive d pay!

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Princess4eva(f): 5:11am On May 27, 2015
kilokeys:
kilantaa

ile ise ajibade. grin

bros abeg make i send my CV?

on a serious note.. u should help urself. responsibilities gives room for mastery. u need to b relevant anywhere u find urself

African Magic Thinz.......lol
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Sanuzi(m): 9:34am On May 27, 2015
Well its not the best except the person is indebted to your parents or you somehow and you dont understand how

or breeding you until he feeds on u or need your skill for a particular purpose.

BE PRAYERFUL

Lets Talk:

Mobile/Whatsapp: 07038641600

BBM: 7B663F3A

www.africanwebservice.com

An expert in Blog Design,content management systems (CMS) such as
Webpagemaker,Frontpage, wordpress, joomla, drupal,
ecommerce platforms such as opencart, magento, Abante cart,WHMCS, prestashop.
Blogs:Ghost,serendipity,eggblog
Forums:SMF,Vanilla,phpBB,
Polls and Survey Sites:Limesurvey,littlepoll,piwik
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Franky9584(m): 11:36am On May 27, 2015
BasseyJ:
Maybe he's holding on to you for the future, he might have a plan that just someone with your set of skills might be able to do and instead of hiring again when he's ready, he might not mind paying you few months salary till d plan matures. How long has the person been paid for doing 'nothing '? Guess it gives you more time to perfect a skill during your time in the office doing 'nothing'.
skills like wot n wot?
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by ayobase(m): 11:51am On May 27, 2015
kennygee:
They are feeding you fat for sacrifice.
grin
this your comment na die!
So, I could eventually comment after weeks of reading and glancing.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Cookbook: 12:27pm On May 31, 2015
When your parents was praying for you to meet up opportunity that you did not deserved, little you know about it, now God has answered their prayer you are now complaning. I really wonder what you want from God? May be you want to go and push trolley to make money. You have forgot you are not the only one that was interviewed that day. Keep upgrading the skills that is relevant to your field and stop blaming God for your good fortune. Okocha created leg over, but ronaldo learn leg over, whose fortune is greater? all you need is to continue to give God the glory.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Mbkite(m): 1:42pm On May 31, 2015
Cookbook:
When your parents was praying for you to meet up opportunity that you did not deserved, little you know about it, now God has answered their prayer you are now complaning. I really wonder what you want from God? May be you want to go and push trolley to make money. You have forgot you are not the only one that was interviewed that day. Keep upgrading the skills that is relevant to your field and stop blaming God for your good fortune. Okocha created leg over, but ronaldo learn leg over, whose fortune is greater? all you need is to continue to give God the glory.
Thank u very much bro.
U knw we are all human.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / Can Someone Earning 40k Salary Survive In Abuja? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.