Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,269 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After (31229 Views)

Yemi Osinbajo Swears In Onnoghen As CJN (Photos) / Obiano Swears In Mark Okoye As A Commissioner! (PICS) / Jonathan Swears In New Ministers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by 4kasibe24(m): 6:19pm On May 27, 2015
yes, I agree with osho decisions, atleast we should be our brothers keeper instead to wish ill, I strongly believe that after u find him guilty then fire him again as to teach others lesson.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 27, 2015
So Oshiomole has taken over the responsibility of effecting suspension without any formal indictment but based on "them say"? So Oshiomole is saying that is is unconstitutional and illegal to demand for the resignation of a bedridden official? Should administration suffer because somebody is in a vegetable state and unable to perform his duty? APC and their rape on democracy.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by omenka(m): 6:29pm On May 27, 2015
Mogidi:

Others with different talents (Discernible knack) would disagree.
Knack: a special skill, talent, or aptitude
Your application is totally wrong. Pele. grin
Oga, abeg nor use am for public outside.
#Stay simple. wink
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Mogidi: 6:39pm On May 27, 2015
omenka:
Your application is totally wrong. Pele. grin

Oga, abeg nor use am for public outside.

#Stay simple. wink

Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by otunbakolawole(m): 6:46pm On May 27, 2015
I think what Oshiomole did was wrong. In normal societies, the late Chairman should have handed over powers to the Vice Chair in acting capacity if he's in good health, better still, resign on the grounds of illness. This sit tight mentality of the black man must change.

The allegation made against the suspended chairman that he financed a protest against an individual on sickbed could be investigated but, what will he be charged or accused of, 'breach of public peace'.

A leader should not govern by emotions, yes, a leader should empathise, but his decision and judgements should be based on solid proofs.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by crystaliyamu20(m): 6:47pm On May 27, 2015
Win big on soccer games as you enjoy the matches, get 100% fixed games, this is a screenshot of one of our winnings, get subscribed today and start winning, to subscribe contact our agent on 2348136171479
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 27, 2015
Osho baba! You Have earn my Respect again &again& again!
This is one of the [/b]KEY actors in the [b][/b]NEW [b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]NIGERIA.

President in waiting should take note of Osho Baba and keep him as one of his key men even after Osho tenure as governor expires.

God bless Osho Baba
God bless Eze ifeanyi
God bless Nigeria
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by sucess001(m): 7:26pm On May 27, 2015
lastpage:

No Sir,
We did it after he was dead and the likes of Turai and Segun Adeniyi and some other Cabal-members were plotting on making Turai the De-facto President (against the letter of the constitution) by deceiving the Nation that he was still doing 100 push-ups per minute.
Our Protest was for Jonathan to be sworn-in, LONG AFTER the Death of his principal, as stipulated in the Constitution.
(Oshiomole promptly did that as well)

I am saying we WAITED UNTIL HE DIED.

I am not sure if you know the underground details of what went on during that period or when Yar Ardua actually passed-on in a Saudi Hospital because if you do, you wont compare both situations.

Let me also point out that the dead man actually witnessed a RIOT/PROTEST taking place in the Hospital he was being treated, on the same day he died. I dont want to insinuate that the event may have contributed to his death via increased BP or Depression.
I am not a Doctor but those are the differences.

Cheers.

Lastpage!

No sir.

you are incorrect. go and do some google research. we protested when he was on the sick bed in saudi arabia.

so there is absolutely no difference.

lets not criticize others for what we also do...that makes us same as them.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by 9jatatafo(m): 7:30pm On May 27, 2015
Oshiomole just did a Mourinho when he changed a player and not too long removed the player from field. Osho baba ride on after there is beautiful kpekus as home.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by jude33084(m): 7:46pm On May 27, 2015
radgenez:
Let the hypocritical apc plebs come and defend teir employer, he justbroke the so called law they have been screaming about
Hypocrites!!!

Where did he do wrong?
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by 20bc(m): 7:51pm On May 27, 2015
wellmax:

Don't advertise your ignorance. The law requires that he swears in the Deputy on the death of the office holder. Punishment for whatever reasons can come later as in this case.
. Well to me that looks like an interparty dispute, didn't any party leader hear of such sh!t....
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by 20bc(m): 7:58pm On May 27, 2015
lastpage:

Relax and dont be too eager to criticize!

For one, the Constitution mandates him to swear-in the Vice, once the substantive LGA Chairman is dead.
He cannot wait and MUST NOT WAIT for investigation to be started and finished.
In that, Osho-Baba has followed the law, to the letter. (recall he said "I was pained to do what l did, but that is the law).

Secondly, it is still an allegation and the suspended man might be proved innocent!
By "suspension", as opposed to "outright deposition" (removal), Osho-Baba is also obeying the law of natural Justice.
All are assumed to be innocent until proven guilty!
Even if we are almost (99%) sure of what the man did, we must give him the benefit of a "fair hearing", which is what the Panel will do.
In this again, l think Osho-Baba is fair.

Finally, if the allegation is found to be true, l think the man should then be removed so as to serve as a "moral lesson" to others, something that is gradually becoming extinct in our Nation, that yo dont get overzealous and too greedy for material things.
If God says you will be there, with hardwork and patience, you will get there eventually, at God's appointed time .... and you will succeed.

Gov. Fashola is an example of this Patience and Hardwork.
Jimi Agbaje is an example of that "anxiousness and greed". Where is he today? I cant remember! undecided

Cheers.....

And your spelling is terrible!

Lastpage!
[i]Sorry about the spelling..... But your point is 98%valid but in the case of someone having suspicion about someone wishing another person dead especially when it involes the LGA chairman....should at least be made know to the governor
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by 20bc(m): 8:01pm On May 27, 2015
oshiosense:
Are you blind or you can't read, atleast for common sense? He sworn in the Vice chairman and later got petition that he organized a protest against his sick boss which led to the suspension. You are here commenting stupidly. Where are you from by the way?
am not from that sh°t hole you call your home/village/town..... angry
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by donuba61: 8:59pm On May 27, 2015
All this people justifying the suspension should not misinterprete the rule when wike start to suspend amechi chairmen since the governor has power to suspend any chairman. Mind u there is already petition against them and it should b investigate.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Johnterryfama(m): 9:37pm On May 27, 2015
agarawu23:
suspend him due to allegations that he fomented a protest against the late former Chairman, Alhaji Kadiri, trying to get him to step down while he (Kadiri) was battling for his life, a battle he lost

yes! he has a good reason. not our presido way dey sack/suspend without good reason. undecided

why he (gej) suspended sanusi then isn't clear to Nigerians till date undecided
agarawu23:
suspend him due to allegations that he fomented a protest against the late former Chairman, Alhaji Kadiri, trying to get him to step down while he (Kadiri) was battling for his life, a battle he lost

yes! he has a good reason. not our presido way dey sack/suspend without good reason. undecided

agarawu23:

no mind the fisher man

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Johnterryfama(m): 9:38pm On May 27, 2015
agarawu23:

Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 27, 2015
agarawu23:

shatap ya smelly math abeg!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by bodee(m): 10:35pm On May 27, 2015
CoCoLav:
Nigerians and emotional/sentimental judgment. So if someone is suspected of a wrongdoing and the person is sick, you have to chill for the person to recover before you take any action? What does that even mean? What is unethical about that?

I'm not heartless but sometimes what has to be done has to be done. This is politics.

Lmaooooo!!!
it seems you don't understand the message he was passing.

you don't fight against something you intend to enjoy. The suspended chairman ought not to have incited the protest cos if successful, he then becomes the new chairman. Here comes simple ethics!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by bodee(m): 10:40pm On May 27, 2015
sucess001:

No sir.

you are incorrect. go and do some google research. we protested when he was on the sick bed in saudi arabia.

what I sha know be say, if Jonathan had been the one that organized the protest against Yaradua, then it is quite similar to the suspended chairman but Jonathan remained calm all through. He did not not say or do anything that our ever conscious Nigerians could hold on to.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by runi: 3:34am On May 28, 2015
Very unfortunate, this governor is running the state as though he is dealing with his children. What has sentiment got to do with administration of a LGA? Not sure if he ever took a course in public administration in his life. He is too erratic in the manner with which he treats people without respect. It bothers on harassment. If it were a developed country these people will sue him for harassment and intimidation.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by tk4rd: 3:58am On May 28, 2015
iyatrustee:
He was chairman for some minutes!

His name would be included in the ex-Chairmen's list forever cheesy
Generations to come would also hear his story and learn
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by lastpage: 5:29am On May 28, 2015
CoCoLav:

You are kidding right?? Moral lesson? In politics? Politics that is governed by law? And if God says its the right time?

OMG!

You have no idea what common law is about. Common law has no business with morals or ethical code, As in NO BUSINESS.

You only suspend someone when the person had breached the public officers code of conduct or committed a crime. The law is the law, keep your personal moral code to yourself. By instigating a protest when the chairman was on his sick bed...pls tell me what law he has broken.
Sharrap, Eediat!

I dont discuss with riff-raffs like you.
Go and study it first and get some good education, if you want to engage me on such issues.
I may recommend a few "Beginners" Law Books for you.

Now Gerrout of my face before l .....
Mtchew.

Lastpage!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by lastpage: 5:38am On May 28, 2015
20bc:
[i]Sorry about the spelling..... But your point is 98%valid but in the case of someone having suspicion about someone wishing another person dead especially when it involves the LGA chairman....should at least be made known to the governor

I was just joking about the spelling, its no biggy! wink

Back to the issue:
It actually went beyond "suspicion".
The Ex-Chair allegedly took concrete actions by inciting, funding and organising a riot against his "Boss".
It is an act of gross irresponsibility. If you do such in the corporate world, you get sacked.

Let me ask you: What do you think the "dead Chairman" will do to the suspended Chair, had he recovered from his illness?
Dont forget that it is the Chairman that gets "elected" by the public (Like Governors) while the Chairman simply picks/nominates his Vice, at his choosing! undecided

Did l hear you say Sack him?

Like l said, it is a revolting thing to do and should not be allowed to go un-investigated.
And to begin to investigate someone in public office, first thing that happens is that the person must "temporarily vacate" that office but in Nigeria, l am aware that "office no dey resign or step-down" for investigations to take-off since it is do-or-die, as the man is already showing.

Osho has taken the right step, IMO.

Lastpage!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by lastpage: 5:42am On May 28, 2015
sucess001:

No sir.

I will believe and accept your position if you can tell me THE EXACT DATE Yar Ardua DIED" in Saudi Arabian Hospital.
The implication of that is that "you knew he was still alive", when you were protesting" . undecided
You can as well provide a link to the "google research" you are talking about, ....which confirms such date grin grin

NB: I am not asking for the date the cabal decided to bring him back in the dead of the night, from Saudi Arabia, or "officially announce" that he was dead..... he was long dead ( a few months) before then.

Okay, Up to you, ball is in your court

Lastpage!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by lastpage: 5:55am On May 28, 2015
otunbakolawole:
I think what Oshiomole did was wrong. In normal societies, the late Chairman should have handed over powers to the Vice Chair in acting capacity if he's in good health, better still, resign on the grounds of illness. This sit tight mentality of the black man must change.

Correct, 100%

otunbakolawole:
The allegation made against the suspended chairman that he financed a protest against an individual on sickbed could be investigated but, what will he be charged or accused of, 'breach of public peace'.

Add "incitement" to it, and probably "funding of terrorism" to it, if it were to be in America. wink

And it is not just "an individual", it was done against[b] "his Boss" who appointed him![/b]
Its a sort of in-house Coup, .... if it were in the military, he gets court marshalled right -away.

otunbakolawole:
A leader should not govern by emotions, yes, a leader should empathise, but his decision and judgements should be based on solid proofs.

Suspension from official position, to allow for the investigation of that same position and person, is not a punishment but the usual, standard procedure in "normal societies".

Infact, when such an allegation is made against you in a normal society, the responsibility is on YOU, to "step-aside" so as not to be accused of impeding the investigation!.... but in Nigeria, we know say 'you' would rather use your "official power" to frustrate the investigation ......hence the Governor has to step-in. wink

If he is proved innocent, he simply resumes his office on a stronger Pedestal than before.

Lastpage!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by CoCoLav(f): 7:17am On May 28, 2015
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Common+law. Common-law courts base their decisions on prior judicial pronouncements rather than on legislative enactments. Where a statute governs the dispute, judicial interpretation of that statute determines how the law applies. Common-law judges rely on their predecessors' decisions of actual controversies, rather than on abstract codes or texts, to guide them in applying the law. [b]Common-law judges find the grounds for their decisions in law reports, which contain decisions of past [/b]controversies. Under the doctrine of Stare Decisis, common-law judges are obliged to adhere to previously decided cases, or precedents, where the facts are substantially the same. A court's decision is binding authority for similar cases decided by the same court or by lower courts within the same jurisdiction. The decision is not binding on courts of higher rank within that jurisdiction or in other jurisdictions, but it may be considered as persuasive authority.

Because common-law decisions deal with everyday situations as they occur, social changes, inventions, and discoveries make it necessary for judges sometimes to look outside reported decisions for guidance in a case of first impression (previously undetermined legal issue). The common-law system allows judges to look to other jurisdictions or to draw upon past or present judicial experience for analogies to help in making a decision. This flexibility allows common law to deal with changes that lead to unanticipated controversies. At the same time, stare decisis provides certainty, uniformity, and predictability and makes for a stable legal environment.
Under a common-law system, disputes are settled through an adversarial exchange of arguments and evidence. Both parties present their cases before a neutral fact finder, either a judge or a jury. The judge or jury evaluates the evidence, applies the appropriate law to the facts, and renders a judgment in favor of one of the parties. Following the decision, either party may appeal the decision to a higher court. Appellate courts in a common-law system may review only findings of law, not determinations of fact.
Under common law, all citizens, including the highest-ranking officials of the government, are subject to the same set of laws, and the exercise of government power is limited by those laws. The judiciary may review legislation, but only to determine whether it conforms to constitutional requirements.

So Mr last page, explain to us again how common law has to do with personal opinions or moral and ethical code.

That said, I think you need to school yourself on the difference between customary law and common law because you must have been sleeping during your class on Nigerian Legal System (that's me assuming you are not an illiterate).

Have a nice day.

lastpage:

Sharrap, Eediat!

I dont discuss with riff-raffs like you.
Go and study it first and get some good education, if you want to engage me on such issues.
I may recommend a few "Beginners" Law Books for you.

Now Gerrout of my face before l .....
Mtchew.

Lastpage!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Hakeem3(m): 7:44am On May 28, 2015
Oshiomole even made a mistake by swearing him in at d first place...the vice chairman is a vet desperate power monger do u know he literally called the sick chairman a day bfore he passed on to hand over power to him as the new chairman?! What a show of shame our politicians display
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by Fatherherokay(m): 9:36am On May 28, 2015
Nigeria, politics and power!
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by 20bc(m): 9:50am On May 28, 2015
lastpage:

I was just joking about the spelling, its no biggy! wink

Back to the issue:
It actually went beyond "suspicion".
The Ex-Chair allegedly took concrete actions by inciting, funding and organising a riot against his "Boss".
It is an act of gross irresponsibility. If you do such in the corporate world, you get sacked.

Let me ask you: What do you think the "dead Chairman" will do to the suspended Chair, had he recovered from his illness?
Dont forget that it is the Chairman that gets "elected" by the public (Like Governors) while the Chairman simply picks/nominates his Vice, at his choosing! undecided

Did l hear you say Sack him?

Like l said, it is a revolting thing to do and should not be allowed to go un-investigated.
And to begin to investigate someone in public office, first thing that happens is that the person must "temporarily vacate" that office but in Nigeria, l am aware that "office no dey resign or step-down" for investigations to take-off since it is do-or-die, as the man is already showing.

Osho has taken the right step, IMO.

Lastpage!
Hmmm did you studie political science in school, cause you know how to analys the whole show
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by sucess001(m): 11:10am On May 28, 2015
lastpage:

I will believe and accept your position if you can tell me THE EXACT DATE Yar Ardua DIED" in Saudi Arabian Hospital.
The implication of that is that "you knew he was still alive", when you were protesting" . undecided
You can as well provide a link to the "google research" you are talking about, ....which confirms such date grin grin

NB: I am not asking for the date the cabal decided to bring him back in the dead of the night, from Saudi Arabia, or "officially announce" that he was dead..... he was long dead ( a few months) before then.

Okay, Up to you, ball is in your court

Lastpage!

even if he was long dead as you claimed, we were not aware and we protested that he should hand over while we though he was still alive. lets not differentiate pls. the office is more than the person and the minute you cannot effectively function in that office, you hand over to your vice...thats why you have a vice in the first place. we shouldnt be hypocritical.
Re: Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After by TheAdvocate(m): 12:06pm On May 28, 2015
Oshiomole does not have ANY powers whatsoever to suspend a LG chairman. That power is with the House of Assembly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fayose Inspects 1.2km Flyover Bridge Project In Ekiti / We Regret Getting Rid Of Jonathan To Elect Buhari, Northern Elders Lament / Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.