Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47482 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by innervoice(m): 1:18pm On May 31, 2015
Chinom:

Ol' boy, your sense of equality is warped. The fact that men don't feel uncomfortable with s.exist comments from women only serves to confirm that we are not equal. If we were equal or rather if society considers us equal, then s.exist comments and sexual harassment should carry the same weight irrespective of the gender.

And who told you that we were biologically equal?
Can you see that you are discussing something here that you have no proper comprehension of?

If a woman pinches my butt, I laugh it off. If I pinch a woman's butt, I could go to jail for that. Maybe, this answers your question about how women are more protected by the society. I know the laws are there, but try convincing a Judge that a women raped you. You will be considered a clown. People will just laugh at you. Societal perceptions affects the ways laws are implemented. And this favours women big time.

Another fallacy. The fact that you laugh it off when a woman pinches your butt does not mean that you cannot sue a woman on grounds of it.
How you respond to it is your business, before the law you are equal and you don't have to accept it.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 1:20pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:
Missterious, are you not tired of the senseless back and forth? cheesy

Biko, live your life as it pleases you.
. And who is telling her not to live her life, you ****.

Sigh.

If anyone's posts here are senseless it's yours.

By the way, how come your likes aren't here? Call them na. You need encouragement wink

7 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 1:20pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:
Missterious, are you not tired of the senseless back and forth? cheesy

Biko, live your life as it pleases you.

Sigh.

By the way, how come your likers aren't here? Call them na. You need encouragement wink

Or have they grown tired of you too? lipsrsealed
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 1:20pm On May 31, 2015
hensben:
I believe/know you are a lady but why using 'm' as your gender identity, isn't that inferiority complex
How about we stop using M or F as identity, H=human will be cool cool
Have you looked up my skirt to know whether I am male or female?
Obviously, a simple mind will think it is inferiority but a great mind gets it. wink
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 1:25pm On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

In fact, pay discrimination is very illegal.

It's because women work fewer hours and do less overtime in a pay-per-hour job. So who do you think is taking home more money for the same work? The woman who works from 9 to 4 or the man who works from 8 to 6 and does overtime on the weekends?

Lady,

There is pay discrimination in Some sectors in Nigeria However, it is NOT as a result of gender. More as a results ofGod-fatherism and bbargaining power.

And yes, they do same work

I agree with you 100% that victim mentality also pulls us back a lot.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 1:26pm On May 31, 2015
Jman06:
Adichie is right!!!

I detest it when women are made to play second fiddle to men. I mean! When we already know that more women are smarter than their male peers in all spheres of life.

In this age, both the male and female gender should be raised with the mindset that non is superior to the other. The consequences of doing the opposite continuously stare us in the face, yet some would not accept that. I know a family where the first male child grew up to become an overgrown baby whilst his immediate older sister(not older than 2yrs anyway) is the architect of the family's success today. Of course the guy was overpampered because he's male, while the lady was exposed to work early in life. The result is a lazy man who goes about beating his chest about how masculine he is whilst his sister is the engine room of the family. Whenever I think about that family, my resolve to empower my unborn daughters as much (if not more) as I do my sons gets deepened.

Women should never be treated as inferior to men. In fact, any discrimination against the female gender should be treated as a criminal offence. Period
In as much as I respect chimamanda 4 her giant strides in d field of literature, I fear that she is only promoting what she says she's fighting against. First of all,d world we live is built and thrives on inequality. This isn't a function of gender but a function of roles, resources, responsibility and order. If all men or humans are equal, then there will b no order as it will b everyman 4 himself. It has nothing 2do with gender. would chimamanda say she wouldn't fly d "don't u no am a woman" banner if I told her 2go work as a bricklayer? There are things I wouldn't encourage my sisters or wife 2do yes cos she's a woman. I wouldn't encourage my wife 2do night vigilante cos she wants 2 feel equal with men. No man is superior 2 any woman cos of his gender and vice versa. All there is 2 it is that we COMPLEMENT each other. That's d foundation Nelson Mandela laid. He didn't say cos he was a victim let's reward d blacks at d xpense of d whites. He promoted a multi racial society. Chimamandas views are skewed and she is only trying 2 promote feminism. She got it wrong

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 31, 2015
innervoice:

And who told you that we were biologically equal?
Can you see that you are discussing something here that you have no proper comprehension of?
That's how pathetic they can be.

Men and Women are equal and they will start bringing biological bullsh1ts.

Genders are equal but humans are different.
All men are not the same.
All women are not the same.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 1:34pm On May 31, 2015
missterious:

I'm too stubborn. embarassed
You see what you are becoming? "What wave of feminism do you belong to"... And you're trying to find out? embarassed undecided
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by innervoice(m): 1:34pm On May 31, 2015
iPopAlomo:

None... now you see... you're covering for a woman... that's the kind of protection they get...

Back at you mehn... back at you...

And who told you I do not speak up for men if necessary?

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Is the OP whinning or encouraging graduants?

Doesn't sound encouraging to me personally, considering it's a graduation speech. More like 'but women are so oppressed' and 'men are so privileged'.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by innervoice(m): 1:35pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

That's how pathetic they can be.

Men and Women are equal and they will start bringing biological bullsh1ts.

Genders are equal but humans are different.
All men are not the same.
All women are not the same.

It's actually quite simple.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Chinom(m): 1:38pm On May 31, 2015
@Innervoice : Another fallacy. The fact that you laugh it off when a woman pinches your butt does not mean that you cannot sue a woman on grounds of it.
How you respond to it is your business, before the law you are equal and you don't have to accept it.

It's either you guys do not understand my point or you are just playing 'DUMB' . Go back and read my post again. Yes, we are equal before the law. We are equal on paper. But the judge who will handle the case did not fall from Jupiter. He is a member of the society that sees us as not equal.
Yes, I can sue, but will the judge and members of the jury find the woman guilty ?. How many %age of women are found guilty of male sexual harassment ?.

I am done thrashing this point. You have already admitted that men and women are not ' biologically' equal. So what is point of all these Feminism ?.

6 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 1:39pm On May 31, 2015
5minsmadness:

Sigh.

By the way, how come your likers aren't here? Call them na. You need encouragement wink

Or have they grown tired of you too? lipsrsealed

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 1:41pm On May 31, 2015
missterious:

I'm too stubborn. embarassed
Don't mind him dear.

In any relationships duties must be assigned out. You cannot leave the job for anybody to do if not nobody will do it. It's business management 101 dearie. If you love your man you won't have any qualms cooking for and nourishing him. Same as if a man loves his woman he would not have any issue protecting her, providing for her or solving her problems or even helping her with the dishes.
It's love. Not slavery or oppression.

I'm off to help my niece with her homework. I'll do same too when I get married, not leaving it all for wifey to do.
Have a nice Sunday missterious.

Francis you can take your time to write up a very intelligent post(haha) before I return. You have the floor cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 31, 2015
innervoice:

It's actually quite simple.
These guys made me think I was spewing gibberish. lipsrsealed

Thank God there are still some great minds who are not chauvinistic or trolling for fun. smiley
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Chinom(m): 1:43pm On May 31, 2015
shaybebaby:

If a woman pinches your butt and you deem it as harassment, the same laws are there for you to use to file a legitimate suit. The point is you chose to laugh it off, others might choose to exercise their right to punish the offender by law.
My understanding of feminism is the right as a woman to choose, to have the same choices as others of different genders. When it comes to making my choice, I'll let morality be my guide rather than my sex. Why is that idea so reprehensible to you menfolk?
Informed choices, freedom to exercise my right.. No need for postulations of what the eventual choices might be.

Yea ! but what are my chances of getting a conviction as opposed to yours. Go and do a research on that, then come back to me.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 1:45pm On May 31, 2015
Segzay:
I quite agree with some of her speech,,bt wait o,,dose ppl over thr(western world) knws all dis tins nd yet dey record d highest divorce rate,,,d fact stil remain dat our cultures and our beliefs here is d best,,I believe dos dat created dis path for us to follow also made dem tru wisdom and critical tinkins,,its jst dt dey r nt opportuned to stand in front of ppl nd givin out speech like dis woman wey go stil mislead una,,,am nt disputin her words,,bt most of our girls here wuld mis-interprete her words,,gender equality is real nd true,,bt no too cari dat mentality reach una husband house o,,or else e go clear fr una eye wen dat humble,,cool and submissive woman snatch him frm u!

Did you see the hilarious and pathetic thread one guy opened yesterday to discuss divorce? Are those stories from America?

And who deceived Nigerians they have better marriages or lower rates of divorce

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Did you see the hilarious and pathetic thread one guy opened yesterday to discuss divorce? Are those stories from America?

And who deceived Nigerians they have better marriages or lower rates of divorce
Because they don't keep record. grin
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by calista1234(f): 1:46pm On May 31, 2015
Do u knw I actually have to copy some point down
Great speech by a great writer
Although don't totally agree wif the "gay part" nothing like equal right for dat cos the bible is against it

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by innervoice(m): 1:47pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

These guys made me think I was spewing gibberish. lipsrsealed

Thank God there are still some great minds who are not chauvinistic or trolling for fun. smiley

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. (M. Gandhi)

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by innervoice(m): 1:49pm On May 31, 2015
Chinom:
@Innervoice : Another fallacy. The fact that you laugh it off when a woman pinches your butt does not mean that you cannot sue a woman on grounds of it.

It's either you guys do not understand my point or you are just playing 'DUMB' . Go back and read my post again. Yes, we are equal before the law. We are equal on paper. But the judge who will handle the case did not fall from Jupiter. He is a member of the society that sees us as not equal.
Yes, I can sue, but will the judge and members of the jury find the woman guilty ?. How many %age of women are found guilty of male sexual harassment ?.

Are you implying that all judges are s.exist and unfair?

I am done thrashing this point. You have already admitted that men and women are not ' biologically' equal. So what is point of all these Feminism ?.

Political, economic and socio-cultural equality. This is what it is about.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by shaybebaby(f): 1:52pm On May 31, 2015
Chinom:

Yea ! but what are my chances of getting a conviction as opposed to yours. Go and do a research on that, then come back to me.
I can't do that, in court of law for criminal cases, the facts decide whether or not there will be a guilty verdict. You present your facts, with evidence and the probability is that based on previous case laws similar to your which had a guilty verdict handed to the perpetrator, the same would be found in your case.
However, why should I do the leg work for you? If you ever feel an injustice has been done to you, pick up the mantle and fight for yourself.
This is no different to what feminists are doing, they are not waiting for anyone's permission before trying to right the wrongs of gender discrimination. Paulo freire put it succinctly when he said to be the oppressed, you have to give consent to the oppressor to oppress you. Both the oppressed and the oppressor are responsible. So now women are saying "no more"!! We will not allow this anymore.
If you feel there are injustices being done to men on the basis of their gender, please speak up and I will support your cause as well... Well as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 31, 2015
innervoice:

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. (M. Gandhi)
Men and Women are not equal as the gender are different - they claim.

Men is above Women - they claim.

Isn't the second statement contradictory?

Their argument can only make sense if they argue men and women aren't equal nor unequal since they can't be compared.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by shaybebaby(f): 1:56pm On May 31, 2015
innervoice:

Are you implying that all judges are s.exist and unfair?

Political, economic and socio-cultural equality. This is what it is about.
It is obvious he is speaking about a legal system( if it can be called that) as such as in Nigeria. That is why there are various levels of courts where if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your case, you can appeal it. This is why we have overturned verdicts, mistrials declared etc. where there is proof that the letter of the law has not been followed.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by innervoice(m): 1:58pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

Men and Women are not equal as the gender are different - they claim.

Men is above Women - they claim.

Isn't the second statement contradictory?

Their argument can only make sense if they argue men and women aren't equal nor unequal since they can't be compared.

You need to understand the psychology behind it. If you, in one way or another, feel insufficient or in other words, have self-esteem issues, then you are very likely to put somebody else down to feel superior because you have underlying feelings of inferiority for one reason or another.

Once you understand it, you will not get angry but feel some sympathy for those men.

No strong man will ever feel the need to put people down, he will rather lift people up, women or not.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by shaybebaby(f): 2:01pm On May 31, 2015
innervoice:

You need to understand the psychology behind it. If you, in one way or another, feel insufficient or in other words, have self-esteem issues, then you are very likely to put somebody else down to feel superior because you have underlying feelings of inferiority for one reason or another.

Once you understand it, you will not get angry but feel some sympathy for those men.

No strong man will ever feel the need to put people down, he will rather lift people up, women or not.
Boom!

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 2:02pm On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

Doesn't sound encouraging to me personally, considering it's a graduation speech. More like 'but women are so oppressed' and 'men are so privileged'.

It was encouraging If the ladies can apply it to their lives.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 2:04pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

Because they don't keep record. grin

I wonder where we get This African marriages are better or last longer bullshit.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

It was encouraging If the ladies can apply it to their lives.

However you take it, I guess. Hopefully you see where I'm coming from.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by conscript1967: 2:11pm On May 31, 2015
Most equality inclined women only think of benefits. How will they feel if their husband begs dem to step down from the car in de rain to change the tyre or push de car or even search for a mechanic in a strange town. Of course I expect them to jump up to de job because of equality baa?. No more "but u are de man naaaw" abi?
You still see dem lusting for rich powerful men who will take care of them because "dats how a man should be". Is it not sexist? They still won't toast a guy because "we ladies can't emotionally handle rejection like men" pffffffhh!
Most of the girls talking about men cooking cannot service a generator or a car or chop wood or handle a hammer or fix burnt wires or even a blown fuse. These are some things men do just because they are MEN. Women can do them but mostly choose not to because they are WOMEN and have their own duties. It is division of labour through gender difference not inequality.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 31, 2015
innervoice:

Funny, exactly.

Ivara Esege doesn't rant about Chimamanda's view.
Jay Z doesn't rant about Beyonce's view.
Hilary Clinton campaign for feminism and Bill Clinton doesn't rant about it.

Sadly, these ones that rant their girlfriends haven't heard the word "feminism" and don't know all it's about.
Why the vexation? lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Chinom(m): 2:26pm On May 31, 2015
conscript1967:
Most equality inclined women only think of benefits. How will they feel if their husband begs dem to step down from the car in de rain to change the tyre or push de car or even search for a mechanic in a strange town. Of course I expect them to jump up to de job because of equality baa?. No more "but u are de man naaaw" abi?
You still see dem lusting for rich powerful men who will take care of them because "dats how a man should be". Is it not sexist? They still won't toast a guy because "we ladies can't emotionally handle rejection like men" pffffffhh!
Most of the girls talking about men cooking cannot service a generator or a car or chop wood or handle a hammer or fix burnt wires or even a blown fuse. These are some things men do just because they are MEN. Women can do them but mostly choose not to because they are WOMEN and have their own duties. It is division of labour through gender difference not inequality.

Exactly. Most feminists are very selfish and self-absorbed women. That's why many are without children.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Wife Omitted From Obituary After Killing Husband And Children In Benue. Photos / How Some Ladies Are Destroying Their Marriage Without Knowing / My 17 Year Old Niece Is Addicted To Porn - Should I Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.