Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47479 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 2:27pm On May 31, 2015
cococandy:
forgive my pidgin Yoruba. bukatyne refused to teach me
angry
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Acidosis(m): 2:27pm On May 31, 2015
Joavid:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I've told myself, if I don't get to a certain point in my career and finance, I won't bother about marriage.
When you grow older, you'd change your mindset
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 2:44pm On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

However you take it, I guess. Hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

I do smiley
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by tomy5: 2:45pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

Funny, exactly.

Ivara Esege doesn't rant about Chimamanda's view.
Jay Z doesn't rant about Beyonce's view.
Hilary Clinton campaign for feminism and Bill Clinton doesn't rant about it.

Sadly, these ones that rant their girlfriends haven't heard the word "feminism" and don't know all it's about.
Why the vexation? lipsrsealed

IT IS BECAUSE ALL THE PEOPLE U MENTIONED ARE RICH AND LIVE A NICE LIFE.Name one that is poor.The average people they are deceiving are poor.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 31, 2015
tomy5:

IT IS BECAUSE ALL THE PEOPLE U MENTIONED ARE RICH AND LIVE A NICE LIFE.Name one that is poor.The average people they are deceiving are poor.
If I'm not mistaken, one has to be self-independent to be a feminist.

Not all girls are feminist.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by twosquare(m): 2:49pm On May 31, 2015
"There is nothing like gender equality, we live in a world of hierarchy where 'gender-marxism' prevails..."
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by obiaguna(m): 3:08pm On May 31, 2015
[quote author=Velocitron post=34267938]

Look, this is getting exhausting. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm 100000% for gender equality. I'm a woman myself, why would I think any man is better than me simply by just being a man?

I just think modern feminism or third-wave feminism has been sidetracked into making women victims of circumstance rather than empowering them and helping those really in need, like women whose faces are being mutilated with acid for fleeing from abusive husbands or victims of FGM etc. Those are real issues not 'my uncle didn't let me break kolanut when I was a child'.[/quote
]

Why are you so intelligent? I love you already ahn ahn..

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by dubylhover(m): 3:41pm On May 31, 2015
calista1234:
Do u knw I actually have to copy some point down
Great speech by a great writer
Although don't totally agree wif the "gay part" nothing like equal right for dat cos the bible is against it

okk..so the bible supports gender feminism,dats y the bible recognises women abi
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 3:41pm On May 31, 2015
In Nigeria, divorce rate have been rising since the beginning of the 20th century, and especially since the 1980s. Some experts contend that the availability of divorce laws has helped weaken the strength of marriage making it difficult for couple to work out the inevitable difficulties that arise in marriage (Browne and Hamilton, 1998; Snyder and Sickmund, 1999; Mezieobi and Okpara, 2007; Edinyang, 2012a). This is evident considering the numerous divorce laws available. But, is divorce truly the answer for family instability? This question is what this research work seeks to explore.(http://www.aessweb.com/pdf-files/ijass%203(3)-772-782.pdf)

Still the U.S. divorce
rate remains high when compared with the rate in
earlier eras and in other societies (Whites 1990).

Number of marriages: 2,118,000
Marriage rate: 6.8 per 1,000 total population
Divorce rate: 3.6 per 1,000 total population (44 reporting States and D.C.)
CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/marriage-divorce.htm

In the United States, couples marrying for the first time have approximately a fifty percent chance of divorcing. (amerian psychological association http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/ ). With all the modernisation and enlightenment, I wonder why.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by conscript1967: 3:44pm On May 31, 2015
Most equality inclined women only think of benefits. How will they feel if their husband begs dem to step down from the car in de rain to change the tyre or push de car or even search for a mechanic in a strange town. Of course I expect them to jump up to de job because of equality baa?. No more "but u are de man naaaw" abi?
You still see dem lusting for rich powerful men who will take care of them because "dats how a man should be". Is it not sexist? They still won't toast a guy they like because "we ladies can't emotionally handle rejection like men" pffffffhh!
Most of the girls talking about men cooking cannot service a generator or a car or chop wood or handle a hammer or fix burnt wires or even a blown fuse. These are some things men do just because they are MEN. Women can do them but mostly choose not to because they are WOMEN and have their own duties. It is division of labour through gender difference not inequality.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by pickabeau1: 3:45pm On May 31, 2015
maybe men and women were really not made to live with each other...

maybe the ancestors knew this

impregnate and move on.. marry multiple wives.. etc

i mean see all this gender battles.. it will get worse..

5minsmadness:

In Nigeria, divorce rate have been rising since the beginning of the 20th century, and especially since the 1980s. Some experts contend that the availability of divorce laws has helped weaken the strength of marriage making it difficult for couple to work out the inevitable difficulties that arise in marriage (Browne and Hamilton, 1998; Snyder and Sickmund, 1999; Mezieobi and Okpara, 2007; Edinyang, 2012a). This is evident considering the numerous divorce laws available. But, is divorce truly the answer for family instability? This question is what this research work seeks to explore.(http://www.aessweb.com/pdf-files/ijass%203(3)-772-782.pdf)

Still the U.S. divorce
rate remains high when compared with the rate in
earlier eras and in other societies (Whites 1990).

Number of marriages: 2,118,000
Marriage rate: 6.8 per 1,000 total population
Divorce rate: 3.6 per 1,000 total population (44 reporting States and D.C.)
CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/marriage-divorce.htm

In the United States, couples marrying for the first time have approximately a fifty percent chance of divorcing. (amerian psychological association http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/ ). With all the modernisation and enlightenment, I wonder why.

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by dubylhover(m): 3:46pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

I wonder where we get This African marriages are better or last longer bullshit.

our parents are living testimony and proof of dis..my mother cant train my sister with this deluded mindset of feminism

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by meiloya: 3:57pm On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

I never read articles from biased sources or based on biased studies. The study in the article was done by the "The American Association of University Women". Doesn't sound very neutral to me.

Besides, other factors such as work experience, pay negotiation, confidence (to ask for raises), connections, time spent at that company, education etc were not accounted for.

You can fumble with numbers or twists facts as much as you want to. There just isn't a wage gap between men and women in developed countries.

The question is whether pay gap between men and women still exists or not.

If wage gap does not exist, a reasonable thing to do would be to provide a positive, not normative, study to back up the claims that it does not exist. This is assuming that the difference between a positive and normative study is clear.

Wage gap between male and female workers on the same level, with the same experience and doing the same job is real in some sectors/industries, it exists, even in UK and USA. If the claim that wage gap does not exist is true, then it means that it must be true in all sectors/industries. Clearly, this is not the case. Positive studies do not just support that. Any interested person might want to see this ..

http://ebm.email.efinancialcareers.com/c/tag/hBVE9GcB82qzIB85GwSAAMhZvE4/doc.html?t_params=PASSWORD%3DB82qzIAAMhZvBVE9Gcd77W5fCOhkce

Am I happy about the pay difference? Definitely No. But that does not preclude the fact that it exists in some sectors. I'm quite familiar with the financial services sector in the UK/US, that's why examples are tilted in that direction. The same thing may exist in other sectors, who knows..

I'm well aware that a bill has been passed in the US which makes it illegal for employers to pay different wages to men and women who perform the same work, but this does not erase the simple fact that wage gap still exists between male and female workers. Even the white house acknowledges it ..https://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/equal-pay Obama's administration is doing all it can to close this gap. But, again, the gap just still exists. Unless white house and other quoted sources are lying.

Finally, people should do some research before making claims. Reality is not always the same as how we wish things were.

An excerpt from https://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/equal-pay

....Decades of research shows that no matter how you evaluate the data, there remains a pay gap — even after factoring in the kind of work people do, or qualifications such as education and experience — and there is good evidence that discrimination contributes to the persistent pay disparity between men and women....

If after this, there is still persistence in the claim that wage gap between males and females does not exist, and no sound source or positive research is cited to back claims, then I would've no choice than to give up.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by repogirl(f): 3:58pm On May 31, 2015
missterious:

Marriage is a beautiful thing. I would love to get married. It is possible to be rich & married & that is what I pray for. But if I had to choose, I would choose money. Being single is not a sin.

FYI, this "feminist crap" is the reason women can vote, the reason your daughter can go to school. Feminism is advocacy for social & economic equality of the sexes.
being single is definitely no sin but the love of money is, and the fact that you strive towards money says so much that I needn't waste my words anymore.
The suffragettes (original feminists) achieved most of their aims and faded into oblivion after that, they fought for worthy causes, they fought for their rights which were being withheld, pls tell me what modern day feminists are fighting for..... That men be given same paternity leave as their wives, that they be allowed to expose their chest areas like men or according to Chimamanda, women should be allowed to break kolanuts, seems as if they envy the men. Mtchewww ..... Just being ridiculous but of course they wouldn't know they are.

Anyhoo, I wish all of you luck breaking out of your self imposed bondage.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 31, 2015
Male and Female weren't created to live together in the minds of chauvinist but I can cohabilitate peacefully with them.

I, and my future wife will live till death do us.
My sons will tow my path and no man can subdue my daughter.

C'est fini! cool

9 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by dubylhover(m): 4:02pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
being single is definitely no sin but the love of money is, and the fact that you strive towards money says so much that I needn't waste my words anymore.
The suffragettes (original feminists) achieved most of their aims and faded into oblivion after that, they fought for worthy causes, they fought for their rights which were being withheld, pls tell me what modern day feminists are fighting for..... That men be given same paternity leave as their wives, that they be allowed to expose their chest areas like men or according to Chimamanda, women should be allowed to break kolanuts, seems as if they envy the men. Mtchewww ..... Just being ridiculous but of course they wouldn't know they are.

youre a realist nd i like that..calling a spade a spade
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by repogirl(f): 4:06pm On May 31, 2015
conscript1967:
Most equality inclined women only think of benefits. How will they feel if their husband begs dem to step down from the car in de rain to change the tyre or push de car or even search for a mechanic in a strange town. Of course I expect them to jump up to de job because of equality baa?. No more "but u are de man naaaw" abi?
You still see dem lusting for rich powerful men who will take care of them because "dats how a man should be". Is it not sexist? They still won't toast a guy they like because "we ladies can't emotionally handle rejection like men" pffffffhh!
Most of the girls talking about men cooking cannot service a generator or a car or chop wood or handle a hammer or fix burnt wires or even a blown fuse. These are some things men do just because they are MEN. Women can do them but mostly choose not to because they are WOMEN and have their own duties. It is division of labour through gender difference not inequality.
a million likes for you, I guess they only want equality where it benefits them only. They choose to forget men have responsibilities and women have theirs also and that physically they aren't even equal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:

You mean only breaking of kolanut is all you could pick from her writeup?.
Your short-sightedness is pathetic. cry
You can tow your path and definitely won't choke it on someone's throat.

So, requesting that justice should be done and respect earned is now envy. Your inferiority complex is pathetic.

I implore you work hard and give your own speech in Ibadan poly. undecided

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by dubylhover(m): 4:14pm On May 31, 2015
VictoriaBee:

So, requesting that justice should be done and respect earned is now envy. Your inferiority complex is pathetic.

so,out of her own speech,its only breaking of kolanut yu cud comprehend or deduce.. angrysmh...
do yu even knw d meaning of inferiority complex..yu that implores her to give a speech in ibadan ploy,if dis is ur own form or manner of speech,dnt even cum close to my 4 yr old cousin in primary skul,cos she wud brainstorm you smiley

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lavatoz(f): 4:20pm On May 31, 2015
Menace2Society:
I won't die but I will surely go on exile undecided
Haba! You would go on exile because the presido is 'She'?
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by repogirl(f): 4:23pm On May 31, 2015
VictoriaBee:

You are the inferior ones constantly claiming for equality, really think about it, are you equal with a man?
I don't need a man to tell me I am a small girl and then I go find a lipstick, I use one because I feel the need to use one.
I know what I am entitled to, I know my responsibilities as a woman, a sane responsible man knows his, any sane person should. Right, there are some who disrespect women and that is wrong and should be addressed but the line is drawn when you think you are being unjustly oppressed by the world especially when the world is a free place.

I support a fight for your God given rights and not a fight for ridiculousness and I dnt need to make a speech to anyone to be important. No one has enslaved anyone. If you feel enslaved, that's just too bad.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by swaggzo(m): 4:26pm On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:
She is correct.

Women have for a long time been made to feel that being powerful, being an authoritative figure or being in a positions of power isn't their right so when such happens it becomes seen as a remarkable thing, as something exceptional.

The political social and religious structures of the world have belittled the feminine gender into being seen as nothing but second to the male gender.
Men are seen as leaders, while women are seen as followers. Men are seen as rulers , while women are seen as helpers and supporters.
Men are seen as strong, while women are seen as weak.

Women are taught silence, while men are taught to speak.
Women are taught to serve men, to obey men, not to talk back at men and a lot of bullshit.
Most of our religious institutions especially ones like Islam, and christianity have a huge role to play in all this through their customs, doctrines and stories.

This has created a default mentality towards what women are supposed to be, So when people see a confident powerful woman, they become amazed. They see her as extraordinary.

Women need to see themselves differently from what they have been told and forced to believe.

I'VE ALWAYS LAUGHED ABOUT YOUR 'JOKES", BUT NOT THIS TIME.

I FEEL THE SENSE IN WHAT YOU SAID, AND AGREE TO THE FACTS YOU MENTIONED.

BUT YOU SEEM TO, JUST LIKE MAJORITY OF THE WOMEN IN THE WORLD,
BLAME THE MEN FOR THE PROBLEMS WE ALL COMPLAIN ABOUT.

I AM STRONGLY BEHIND THIS EQUALITY STUFF, EVEN THOUGH I'M A MAN. I DO NOT LIKE HOW OUR WOMEN ARE TREATED, NOR LIKE HOW THEY ARE ALWAYS PLACED EVEN LOWER THAN MALE CHILDREN, IN OUR SOCIETY.

BUT HAVE ONE THING IN MIND.. .
ITS THE WOMEN THAT PLAY THE BIGGEST ROLE IN ALL OF THESE SOCIETAL PULLBACKS THE WHOLE WORLD IS STARTING TO NOT REALLY ENJOY.

WE TALK ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE SEEN AS SEX OBJECTS, HOW WOMEN AS SEEN AS INFERIOR PEOPLE AND UNWORTHY TO BE LEADERS,
BUT MERE FOLLOWERS AND ALMOST SEEN ON THE SAME LEVEL AS RATS CUZ "WE FEEL ITS A MAN'S WORLD ",

BUT TELL ME...

IF THE WOMEN DO NOT HAVE TO RING THE BELLS OF MARRIAGE TO THEIR DAUGHTERS SINCE DAY 1, NOTHING WILL HAVE TO MAKE HER FEEL TERRIBLE WHEN SHE'S 30, A BOSS IN HER OWN HOUSE EARNING HALF A MILLA PER MONTH, AND STILL SINGLE.

NO ONE WILL SEE THE GIRLS AS SEXX TOOLS IF THEY DO NOT STAND UNCLAD IN MUSIC VIDEOS OR ON STAGE FOR A VERY CHEAP PAY. NO ONE WILL COUNT THEM UNREASONABLE IF THE MEN VISIT THE BROTHELS AND DO NOT FIND ANYONE THERE.

NO ONE WILL FEEL THAT THEY ARE WEAK AND DULL, IF THEY TAKE UP THESE CHALLENGES IN REAL LIFE, AND BE UP TO THE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE GET TO SEE THEIR GOALS ACHIEVED.
THEY BARELY CONTRIBUTE ON MOST OF THE ARISING MATTERS.
THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS ON BOTH IMPORTANT AND UNIMPORTANT THREADS ARE MOSTLY IRRELEVANT. .. C'MON, IF YOU URGE THEM EVEN FURTHER THEY ASK YOU "DON'T YOU KNOW I'M A WOMAN? "

THE WOMEN WILL ACHIEVE A LOT MORE IF THEY SPEND THEIR TIME IN REAL LIFE BEING BETTER PEOPLE, INSTEAD OF WALKING ABOUT THE WHOLE PLACE TALKING "FEMINISM" THE WHOLE TIME.
THEY BARELY KNOW WHAT IT IS, THAT'S THE WRONG ASPECT.

one time I made this thread... in 2014
all these problems starts with the whole of us.
https://www.nairaland.com/1947677/gender-inequality-why-things-wont

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
You are the inferior ones constantly claiming for equality, really think about it, are you equal with a man?
I don't need a man to tell me I am a small girl and then I go find a lipstick, I use one because I feel the need to use one.
I know what I am entitled to, I know my responsibilities as a woman, a sane responsible man knows his, any sane person should. Right, there are some who disrespect women and that is wrong and should be addressed but the line is drawn when you think you are being unjustly oppressed by the world especially when the world is a free place.

I support a fight for your God given rights and not a fight for ridiculousness and I dnt need to make a speech to anyone to be important. No one has enslaved anyone. If you feel enslaved, that's just too bad.
Well, you should know there are radical feminists and not all feminists support that ridiculous niiples showing.

I don't believe i'm oppressed but I have experienced sexism and chauvinism.
You can't deny that you haven't experienced it.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by swaggzo(m): 4:30pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
I know what I am entitled to, I know my responsibilities as a woman, a sane responsible man knows his, any sane person should.
Right, there are some who disrespect women and that is wrong and should be addressed but the line is drawn when you think you are being unjustly oppressed by the world especially when the world is a free place.

ENTIRELY

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by swaggzo(m): 4:34pm On May 31, 2015
conscript1967:

I DIG THIS YOUR POST. IT'S WONDERFUL.

BUT IF YOU IN A CAR WITH YOUR LADY AND IT STARTS TO RAIN AND YOU EXPECT HER TO STEP OUT TO CHANGE TYRES AND STUFF, YOU DON'T DESERVE HER. .

OR ANYONE.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by emzila(m): 4:36pm On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:

One can never know God's true plan/intention.
if man doesn't know God's plan, then man is lost on earth
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by swaggzo(m): 4:40pm On May 31, 2015
emzila:

if man doesn't know God's plan, then man is lost on earth

MAN ALREADY LOST HIMSELF SINCE HE STARTED TO BELIEVE IN RELIGION MORE THAN HE BELIEVES IN HIS OWN SELF.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Menace2Society(m): 4:43pm On May 31, 2015
lavatoz:

Haba! You would go on exile because the presido is 'She'?
Of course
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 4:55pm On May 31, 2015
VictoriaBee:

In as much as I respect chimamanda 4 her giant strides in d field of literature, I fear that she is only promoting what she says she's fighting against. First of all,d world we live is built and thrives on inequality. This isn't a function of gender but a function of roles, resources, responsibility and order. If all men or humans are equal, then there will b no order as it will b everyman 4 himself. It has nothing 2do with gender. would chimamanda say she wouldn't fly d "don't u no am a woman" banner if I told her 2go work as a bricklayer? There are things I wouldn't encourage my sisters or wife 2do. yes cos they are women. I wouldn't encourage my wife 2do night vigilante cos she wants 2 feel equal with men. No man is superior 2 any woman cos of his gender and vice versa. All there is 2 it is that we COMPLEMENT each other. That's d foundation Nelson Mandela laid. He didn't say cos he was a victim let's reward d blacks at d xpense of d whites. He promoted a multi racial society. Chimamandas views are skewed and she is only trying 2 promote feminism. No one made chimamanda feel inferior. She made herself feel that way and she wants every woman 2 feel same. She got it wrong

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 5:01pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:

Babe I love your confidence. I would have prefered u speaking 2 those graduands at Wesley College instead of chimamanda. I respect her achievements but she seems 2b carrying a lot of hurt from her past and distributing it. Wish u d best

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 5:03pm On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:
She is correct.

Women have for a long time been made to feel that being powerful, being an authoritative figure or being in a positions of power isn't their right so when such happens it becomes seen as a remarkable thing, as something exceptional.

The political social and religious structures of the world have belittled the feminine gender into being seen as nothing but second to the male gender.
Men are seen as leaders, while women are seen as followers. Men are seen as rulers , while women are seen as helpers and supporters.
Men are seen as strong, while women are seen as weak.

Women are taught silence, while men are taught to speak.
Women are taught to serve men, to obey men, not to talk back at men and a lot of bullshit.
Most of our religious institutions especially ones like Islam, and christianity have a huge role to play in all this through their customs, doctrines and stories.

This has created a default mentality towards what women are supposed to be, So when people see a confident powerful woman, they become amazed. They see her as extraordinary.

Women need to see themselves differently from what they have been told and forced to believe.
In as much as I respect chimamanda 4 her giant strides in d field of literature, I fear that she is only promoting what she says she's fighting against. First of all,d world we live is built and thrives on inequality. This isn't a function of gender but a function of roles, resources, responsibility and order. If all men or humans are equal, then there will b no order as it will b everyman 4 himself. It has nothing 2do with gender. would chimamanda say she wouldn't fly d "don't u no am a woman" banner if I told her 2go work as a bricklayer? There are things I wouldn't encourage my sisters or wife 2do. yes cos they are women. I wouldn't encourage my wife 2do night vigilante cos she wants 2 feel equal with men. No man is superior 2 any woman cos of his gender and vice versa. All there is 2 it is that we COMPLEMENT each other. That's d foundation Nelson Mandela laid. He didn't say cos he was a victim let's reward d blacks at d xpense of d whites. He promoted a multi racial society. Chimamandas views are skewed and she is only trying 2 promote feminism. No one made chimamanda feel inferior. She made herself feel that way and she wants every woman 2 feel same. She got it wrong
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
Babe I love your confidence. I would have prefered u speaking 2 those graduands at Wesley College instead of chimamanda. I respect her achievements but she seems 2b carrying a lot of hurt from her past and distributing it. Wish u d best
Speak wetin? American girls don't reason like her.
She'll be booed.

I recommend ibadan poly. undecided

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

My Aunty Is Cheating On Her Husband / Man Cries Out Over Wife's Sudden Weight Gain, Says Her Body Doesn't Arose Him / Wife Omitted From Obituary After Killing Husband And Children In Benue. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.