Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47472 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by shaybebaby(f): 5:10pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
You are the inferior ones constantly claiming for equality, really think about it, are you equal with a man?
I don't need a man to tell me I am a small girl and then I go find a lipstick, I use one because I feel the need to use one.
I know what I am entitled to, I know my responsibilities as a woman, a sane responsible man knows his, any sane person should. Right, there are some who disrespect women and that is wrong and should be addressed but the line is drawn when you think you are being unjustly oppressed by the world especially when the world is a free place.

I support a fight for your God given rights and not a fight for ridiculousness and I dnt need to make a speech to anyone to be important. No one has enslaved anyone. If you feel enslaved, that's just too bad.
Do tell, what is a woman's responsibility and why do you deem this? Likewise the same for men.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 5:14pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Did you see the hilarious and pathetic thread one guy opened yesterday to discuss divorce? Are those stories from America?

And who deceived Nigerians they have better marriages or lower rates of divorce
when it is everyday new story at that igando and ejigbo court houses.

The problem with Nigerians is that we love to solve other people's problems before ours.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lezz(m): 5:14pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
You are the inferior ones constantly claiming for equality, really think about it, are you equal with a man?
I don't need a man to tell me I am a small girl and then I go find a lipstick, I use one because I feel the need to use one.
I know what I am entitled to, I know my responsibilities as a woman, a sane responsible man knows his, any sane person should. Right, there are some who disrespect women and that is wrong and should be addressed but the line is drawn when you think you are being unjustly oppressed by the world especially when the world is a free place.

I support a fight for your God given rights and not a fight for ridiculousness and I dnt need to make a speech to anyone to be important. No one has enslaved anyone. If you feel enslaved, that's just too bad.
this what the modern feminists can't stand; a strong intelligent woman with the wisdom to know what's right and the bravery to stick to it.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by missterious(f): 5:16pm On May 31, 2015
VictoriaBee:

Speak wetin? American girls don't reason like her.
She'll be booed.

I recommend ibadan poly. undecided

Why does this sound like an insult to Ibadan poly? grin

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 5:17pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:
Male and Female weren't created to live together in the minds of chauvinist but I can cohabilitate peacefully with them.

I, and my future wife will live till death do us.
My sons will tow my path and no man can subdue my daughter.

C'est fini! cool
kiss

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by swaggzo(m): 5:18pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
In as much as I respect chimamanda 4 her giant strides in d field of literature, I fear that she is only promoting what she says she's fighting against. First of all,d world we live is built and thrives on inequality. This isn't a function of gender but a function of roles, resources, responsibility and order. If all men or humans are equal, then there will b no order as it will b everyman 4 himself. It has nothing 2do with gender. would chimamanda say she wouldn't fly d "don't u no am a woman" banner if I told her 2go work as a bricklayer? There are things I wouldn't encourage my sisters or wife 2do. yes cos they are women. I wouldn't encourage my wife 2do night vigilante cos she wants 2 feel equal with men. No man is superior 2 any woman cos of his gender and vice versa. All there is 2 it is that we COMPLEMENT each other. That's d foundation Nelson Mandela laid. He didn't say cos he was a victim let's reward d blacks at d xpense of d whites. He promoted a multi racial society. Chimamandas views are skewed and she is only trying 2 promote feminism. No one made chimamanda feel inferior. She made herself feel that way and she wants every woman 2 feel same. She got it wrong

YOU,
JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CITIZEN
GETS CHIMAMANDA WRONG ALL THE TIME OVER.

IF WE START TO DIG FOR DEEPER MEANINGS TO THE THINGS WE HEAR OR SEE,
ITS GONNA PAY OFF PROPERLY, LATER ON.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by missterious(f): 5:19pm On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
being single is definitely no sin but the love of money is, and the fact that you strive towards money says so much that I needn't waste my words anymore.
The suffragettes (original feminists) achieved most of their aims and faded into oblivion after that, they fought for worthy causes, they fought for their rights which were being withheld, pls tell me what modern day feminists are fighting for..... That men be given same paternity leave as their wives, that they be allowed to expose their chest areas like men or according to Chimamanda, women should be allowed to break kolanuts, seems as if they envy the men. Mtchewww ..... Just being ridiculous but of course they wouldn't know they are.

Anyhoo, I wish all of you luck breaking out of your self imposed bondage.

K

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 5:22pm On May 31, 2015
VictoriaBee:
Speak wetin? American girls don't reason like her. She'll be booed.
I recommend ibadan poly. undecided
hahaha...no shaking. Whatever suits u
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 5:25pm On May 31, 2015
swaggzo:

YOU, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CITIZEN GETS CHIMAMANDA WRONG ALL THE TIME OVER.

IF WE START TO DIG FOR DEEPER MEANINGS TO THE THINGS WE HEAR OR SEE, ITS GONNA PAY OFF PROPERLY, LATER ON.
And u got her right
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 31, 2015
I love this ... smiley
bukatyne:
Nice speech...

Never do anything because you are a woman...nice and true.

Remember when I was an exco in university and was washing the plates used after an event...

A lecturer of mine asked If I was doing it because I was a woman... I smiled and told him I was doing it because of my office. smiley

I believe So much in leadership by example.[b][/b]

Congratulations to the graduants
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Jman06(m): 5:28pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
In as much as I respect chimamanda 4 her giant strides in d field of literature, I fear that she is only promoting what she says she's fighting against. First of all,d world we live is built and thrives on inequality. This isn't a function of gender but a function of roles, resources, responsibility and order. If all men or humans are equal, then there will b no order as it will b everyman 4 himself. It has nothing 2do with gender. would chimamanda say she wouldn't fly d "don't u no am a woman" banner if I told her 2go work as a bricklayer? There are things I wouldn't encourage my sisters or wife 2do yes cos she's a woman. I wouldn't encourage my wife 2do night vigilante cos she wants 2 feel equal with men. No man is superior 2 any woman cos of his gender and vice versa. All there is 2 it is that we COMPLEMENT each other. That's d foundation Nelson Mandela laid. He didn't say cos he was a victim let's reward d blacks at d xpense of d whites. He promoted a multi racial society. Chimamandas views are skewed and she is only trying 2 promote feminism. She got it wrong
Bro, apart from reproductive role difference, any role that can be played by a man can equally be played by a woman. Haven't you seen female bricklayers and night guards before?? I have my dear and they do it perfectly well.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 31, 2015
missterious:

Why does this sound like an insult to Ibadan poly? grin
Ibadan girls are local and PolyIbadan has large chunk of them. grin

Even my neighbouring school, Yabatech, won't accept that venomous trash she spewed. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 5:41pm On May 31, 2015
Jman06:
Bro, apart from reproductive role difference, any role that can be played by a man can equally be played by a woman. Haven't you seen female bricklayers and night guards before?? I have my dear and they do it perfectly well.
Yes I have seen women in those vocations but I won't encourage my wife or female siblings 2 tow that line. Would u encourage your wife and sisters 2do those jobs?

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kinglekan: 5:46pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
In as much as I respect chimamanda 4 her giant strides in d field of literature, I fear that she is only promoting what she says she's fighting against. First of all,d world we live is built and thrives on inequality. This isn't a function of gender but a function of roles, resources, responsibility and order. If all men or humans are equal, then there will b no order as it will b everyman 4 himself. It has nothing 2do with gender. would chimamanda say she wouldn't fly d "don't u no am a woman" banner if I told her 2go work as a bricklayer? There are things I wouldn't encourage my sisters or wife 2do. yes cos they are women. I wouldn't encourage my wife 2do night vigilante cos she wants 2 feel equal with men. No man is superior 2 any woman cos of his gender and vice versa. All there is 2 it is that we COMPLEMENT each other. That's d foundation Nelson Mandela laid. He didn't say cos he was a victim let's reward d blacks at d xpense of d whites. He promoted a multi racial society. Chimamandas views are skewed and she is only trying 2 promote feminism. No one made chimamanda feel inferior. She made herself feel that way and she wants every woman 2 feel same. She got it wrong
[b]
Interesting point of view! smiley

Well I think the crux of this issue is hinged on the fact that, when women find themselves accomplishing great feats that would have been termed as "normal" if it were a man, it is rather seen as remarkable.

This is however influenced largely by gender inequality.

Like you rightly said, we live in a world that is built and thrives on inequality. Just like the popular quote in George Orwell's animal farm "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others". Absolute equality is just a farce and a mirage that only exists in the mind of a few.

But still, there are some focal points raised by Adichie which I totally agree with.

1. Never ever accept "Because you are a woman" as a reason for doing anything. That's not good enough. If a lady decides not to give herself to a particular career, cause, or whatever, it should definitely go beyond the fact that she is female.

2. Opportunities should be open regardless of gender. Certain things should be based on achievements rather than gender. Which of course would mean merit.

3. In media interviews, fathers should be asked how they balance work and home. The role of parenting has always had the bulk of it heaped on the woman and I think she made a fantastic point by highlighting this. Fathers should get more involved in parenting.
[/b]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 31, 2015
Jman06:
IMHO, Women don't need to do those works to feel equal.

Is working not a choice?
Are men doing those tedious work forced?
Aren't they getting paid?

Anyone who don't want do it, should abandon it and die of hunger.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Jman06(m): 5:53pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
Yes I have seen women in those vocations but I won't encourage my wife or female siblings 2 tow that line. Would u encourage your wife and sisters 2do those jobs?
if that is what they want to do, I have no problem with that. Personally,I may not encourage my wife or sister to do such jobs just like I cannot encourage my sons or brothers to do such jobs, simply because they can do better than that. Not necessarily because such jobs are meant for a particular gender.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 6:05pm On May 31, 2015
Jman06:
if that is what they want to do, I have no problem with that. Personally,I may not encourage my wife or sister to do such jobs just like I cannot encourage my sons or brothers to do such jobs, simply because they can do better than that. Not necessarily because such jobs are meant for a particular gender.
when growing up in benin, we had what was called civil defence. A form of night vigilante or night watch in which landlords took turns in batches 2 keep watch over their streets at night. Bro do u xpect that if I was a landlord I would allow my wife, daughters and sisters out at night while I snore away all night long just cos we want prove gender equality and respect their choices? Bros maybe u can do such but me I no do that one. No sentiments

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by liquidmetall: 6:06pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:
Male and Female weren't created to live together in the minds of chauvinist but I can cohabilitate peacefully with them.

I, and my future wife will live till death do us.
My sons will tow my path and no man can subdue my daughter.

C'est fini! cool

What about your daugther subduing a man? tongue
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:14pm On May 31, 2015
liquidmetall:

What about your daugther subduing a man? tongue
No. She'll respect anybody irregardless of gender.
I believe in reciprocity of respect.

She'll respect a man and it doesn't mean the man will boss her to do whatever she doesn't like.
I'll file the divorce myself - singleness isn't a curse. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Jman06(m): 6:19pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
when growing up in benin, we had what was called civil defence. A form of night vigilante or night watch in which landlords took turns in batches 2 keep watch over their streets at night. Bro do u xpect that if I was a landlord I would allow my wife, daughters and sisters out at night while I snore away all night long just cos we want prove gender equality and respect their choices? Bros maybe u can do such but me I no do that one. No sentiments
Bro, what of those other women who don't have other people to discourage them from doing such jobs? But who must do the job to survive? Do you stop them because they are women? Well, like I stated earlier, I cannot permit my wife, sisters, sons or brothers to engage in such jobs, not because of gender issues, but because I can afford to help them get something better. Simple
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by liquidmetall: 6:25pm On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

No. She'll respect anybody irregardless of gender.
I believe in reciprocity of respect.

She'll respect a man and it doesn't mean the man will boss her to do whatever she doesn't like.
I'll file the divorce myself - singleness isn't a curse. undecided

Bros I wan ask you something o
If your daugther is married to someone like buhari and she is wife to the president and he orders her around and bosses her around

Like you said
How will you come and file for divorce?
Is it in kirikiri or guard room or where are u going to file for the divorce
Remember we are in nigeria not europe or america
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 6:31pm On May 31, 2015
kinglekan:

[b]
Interesting point of view! smiley

Well I think the crux of this issue is hinged on the fact that, when women find themselves accomplishing great feats that would have been termed as "normal" if it were a man, it is rather seen as remarkable.

This is however influenced largely by gender inequality.

Like you rightly said, we live in a world that is built and thrives on inequality. Just like the popular quote in George Orwell's animal farm "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others". Absolute equality is just a farce and a mirage that only exists in the mind of a few.

But still, there are some focal points raised by Adichie which I totally agree with.

1. Never ever accept "Because you are a woman" as a reason for doing anything. That's not good enough. If a lady decides not to give herself to a particular career, cause, or whatever, it should definitely go beyond the fact that she is female.

2. Opportunities should be open regardless of gender. Certain things should be based on achievements rather than gender. Which of course would mean merit.

3. In media interviews, fathers should be asked how they balance work and home. The role of parenting has always had the bulk of it heaped on the woman and I think she made a fantastic point by highlighting this. Fathers should get more involved in parenting.
[/b]
Societies evolve so do cultures. Don't tell that u weren't surprised 2c 4d first time a woman strap a baby 2 her chest instead of her back or an electric yam pounder. But now its "normal". We can go and on if u like. Even in arab countries, not a few people are impressed seeing female airforce pilots and horse racers. Like every new cultural occurence, there is a wow b4 we all get used 2 it. I don't c y adichie is making it an issue. Right now women are heading banks nd its "normal". d way adichie painted it, its as if d world is anti women. I don't buy that. Women are their own enemies not d world. A woman like a man has a will. If she makes up her mind she can do anything. Opportunities are open 4 everyone irrespective of gender I can proudly say that 4 my country and with my little experience in life. I have read several interviews and men have been asked several times how they balance work and home. This isn't an issue cos whether they are asked or not, every man has 2 balance being a father, husband and employee. I don't have kids but from my father 2 my friends who are fathers they are all role models who their wives and children are proud of. like I said we complement each other. We were created 2 support one another. That ought 2 have been d msg
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 6:38pm On May 31, 2015
Jman06:
Bro, what of those other women who don't have other people to discourage them from doing such jobs? But who must do the job to survive? Do you stop them because they are women? Well, like I stated earlier, I cannot permit my wife, sisters, sons or brothers to engage in such jobs, not because of gender issues, but because I can afford to help them get something better. Simple
d example I gave on civil defence isn't about a job. Would u allow your wife, sisters and daughters keep watch over u at night while u sleep?
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Jman06(m): 6:54pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
d example I gave on civil defence isn't about a job. Would u allow your wife, sisters and daughters keep watch over u at night while u sleep?
To answer your question, I may not allow that. But there are many men who will allow, and there are many women who are willing and ready to watch over their men at night, and there are also many men who are weaker and not capable of watching over anybody at night, in that case shouldn't the woman simply do it? Provided she willingly want to?
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 6:59pm On May 31, 2015
peppyluv02:
I love this ... smiley

Thanks
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kinglekan: 7:00pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
Societies evolve so do cultures. Don't tell that u weren't surprised 2c 4d first time a woman strap a baby 2 her chest instead of her back or an electric yam pounder. But now its "normal". We can go and on if u like. Even in arab countries, not a few people are impressed seeing female airforce pilots and horse racers. Like every new cultural occurence, there is a wow b4 we all get used 2 it. I don't c y adichie is making it an issue. Right now women are heading banks nd its "normal". d way adichie painted it, its as if d world is anti women. I don't buy that. Women are their own enemies not d world. A woman like a man has a will. If she makes up her mind she can do anything. Opportunities are open 4 everyone irrespective of gender I can proudly say that 4 my country and with my little experience in life. I have read several interviews and men have been asked several times how they balance work and home. This isn't an issue cos whether they are asked or not, every man has 2 balance being a father, husband and employee. I don't have kids but from my father 2 my friends who are fathers they are all role models who their wives and children are proud of. like I said we complement each other. We were created 2 support one another. That ought 2 have been d msg
[b]
I understand your point of view perfectly but that's just "your point of view".

There a still a whole lot of chauvinistic men
out there who feel that the woman's place is in the kitchen, who feel she should not engage in intellectual issues with men, who feel they should nod and smile at anything thrown at them.

These changes you talked about didn't just happen by chance, they were first ideas in the minds of certain individuals and next they became reality through necessary action.

Societies don't just evolve by default. Its a hunger for change and a determination of a few which you might not necessarily know about that brought that change.

A lot of women have been defeated internally by the expectations of their family, friends, society and what nots. They feel they cannot do certain things, pursue certain careers, have to twist their personality in a particular form to be accepted.

All these are what Adichie is trying communicate to these graduates. For as many that have placed imaginary barriers and limitations on what they can achieve. In other words, telling them to emancipate themselves from such thinking.

Finally I don't think Adichie stance is that the world is anti-women, rather that women should go all out and not be constrained by their thoughts or societal expectations.
[/b]
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 7:02pm On May 31, 2015
cococandy:
when it is everyday new story at that igando and ejigbo court houses.

The problem with Nigerians is that we love to solve other people's problems before ours.

Stop it o!

Is Ejigbo or Igando in Nigeria? angry

If we are solving problems, it is even better.

We are very hypocritical and condemn people doing same things we are. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lexy2014: 7:18pm On May 31, 2015
Jman06:
To answer your question, I may not allow that. But there are many men who will allow, and there are many women who are willing and ready to watch over their men at night, and there are also many men who are weaker and not capable of watching over anybody at night, in that case shouldn't the woman simply do it? Provided she willingly want to?
Well I was only trying 2 localise d situation, make it practicable. Am sure your unwillingness 2 allow your female relatives watch over u while u sleep is cos they are women
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 31, 2015
This lady is a b*tch, i just dislike her for her over Feminism.. angry
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Jman06(m): 7:38pm On May 31, 2015
lexy2014:
Well I was only trying 2 localise d situation, make it practicable. Am sure your unwillingness 2 allow your female relatives watch over u while u sleep is cos they are women
Not really because they are women, but because I think I am more experienced in security matters than them. If any of them proves to be more capable than I am, then I have no problem allowing her do it.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Stop it o!

Is Ejigbo or Igando in Nigeria? angry

If we are solving problems, it is even better.

We are very hypocritical and condemn people doing same things we are. undecided

Ayaf die... grin grin grin
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 8:00pm On May 31, 2015
Zacking:

Ayaf die... grin grin grin

Abeg live

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

My Aunty Is Cheating On Her Husband / Man Cries Out Over Wife's Sudden Weight Gain, Says Her Body Doesn't Arose Him / Wife Omitted From Obituary After Killing Husband And Children In Benue. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.