Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) (19260 Views)

SGF Babachir Lawal Corruption Case : Company Documents Leaked (pics) / Court Quashes Charges Against Sylva / Alleged 19.2bn Fraud: Court Dismisses Charge Against Sylva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by citizenisb: 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2015
The Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr. M.S Diri, on Monday withdrew the N2.45bn fraud charges instituted against a former governor of ‎Bayelsa State, Mr. Timipre Sylva.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had on May 18, 2015 re-arraigned Sylva on six counts of fraud before Justice Evoh Chukwu of a Federal High Court in Abuja.

But the EFCC, represented by its Assistant Director, Legal and Prosecution, Mr. J.O Ojogbane, said the anti-graft agency was not part of the decision to withdraw the charges.

Following the withdrawal of the former prosecuting counsel, Mr. Festus Keyamo, from the case on May 25, 2015, it was handed over to the DPP.

But instead of the DPP appearing in court on Monday for commencement of trial‎, he issued a fiat to a private lawyer, O.J Nnadi (SAN), to continue prosecuting the case.

Nnadi, during the Monday’s proceedings tendered the freshly issued fiat before the court and told the judge that the EFCC had instructed him to withdraw the suit. He then urged the court to strike out the case.

He said, “‎We are ready for trial, but following the instruction this morning, EFCC directed that this charge be withdrawn.‎

“I received instruction from Ojogbane that this charge against the defendant be withdrawn. We urge this court to strike out the charge.”

‎But Ojogbane, who appeared together with Nnadi and other lawyers for the prosecution, expressed surprise over the team leader’s claim that the EFCC gave the instruction for the withdrawal of the case.

The EFCC lawyer said, “I’m a little bit surprised by the submission of the learned silk (Nnadi).

“The instruction from my own director, legal and prosecution of the EFCC, Mr. Chime Okoroma, is for me to appear with the DPP of the Federation‎ who he said would be coming to court this morning to withdraw this charge on behalf of the Attorney General of the Federation.

“When I got to the court this morning I did not see him (DPP) but I saw the name of the learned silk on the cause list. I approached him and he confirmed to me that he had been briefed by the office of the AGF. He (Nnadi) told me he has the fiat of the AGF which is already admitted as exhibit in this court.

“He (Nnadi) put a call through to the DPP Federation whom I had the privilege of speaking with on the learned silk’s phone and he told me that the learned silk was going to withdraw the charge.

“It is not correct to say that EFCC asked him to withdraw the charge. EFCC did not instruct me to come and withdraw the charge.”

Ojogbane explained that the ‎reason given by the the DPP for withdrawing the case was that the Sylva had similar charges pending against him before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the same Federal High Court in Abuja.

‎He said, “I can confirm that this charge is to be withdrawn this morning by the office of the DPP and the reason given was that there are two similar matters against the accused person in this court – one before your lordship and another one beofre Justice A.R Mohammed which has progressed more than the one before your lordship.”

Sylva’s lawyer, Mr. Israel Olorundare (SAN), did not oppose the application for the withdrawal of the suit.

He urged the court to strike it out as prayed by the prosecution but he also urged the court to order the release of his client’s passport which had been in the custody of the court since he was first arraigned in 2012.

Olorundare also urged the court to restrain the EFCC from arresting Sylva based on the charges that were withdrawn.

While Nnadi did not oppose the release of ‎Sylva’s passport to him, the lawyer said the court could not possibly give any order in anticipation of his arrest.

Justice Chukwu in his ruling struck out the case as he held that the Attorney-General of the Federation possessed the power under the constitution to delegate his power to issue a fiat as it was done in the case.

http://www.punchng.com/news/dpp-withdraws-n2-45bn-fraud-charges-against-sylva%e2%80%8e/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by socialmediaman: 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2015
The Full Story:

Title: DPP withdraws N2.45bn fraud charges against Sylva‎
http://www.punchng.com/news/dpp-withdraws-n2-45bn-fraud-charges-against-sylva%e2%80%8e/

The Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr. M.S Diri, on Monday withdrew the N2.45bn fraud charges instituted against a former governor of ‎Bayelsa State, Mr. Timipre Sylva.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had on May 18, 2015 re-arraigned Sylva on six counts of fraud before Justice Evoh Chukwu of a Federal High Court in Abuja.

But the EFCC, represented by its Assistant Director, Legal and Prosecution, Mr. J.O Ojogbane, said the anti-graft agency was not part of the decision to withdraw the charges.

Following the withdrawal of the former prosecuting counsel, Mr. Festus Keyamo, from the case on May 25, 2015, it was handed over to the DPP.

But instead of the DPP appearing in court on Monday for commencement of trial‎, he issued a fiat to a private lawyer, O.J Nnadi (SAN), to continue prosecuting the case.

Nnadi, during the Monday’s proceedings tendered the freshly issued fiat before the court and told the judge that the EFCC had instructed him to withdraw the suit. He then urged the court to strike out the case.

He said, “‎We are ready for trial, but following the instruction this morning, EFCC directed that this charge be withdrawn.‎

“I received instruction from Ojogbane that this charge against the defendant be withdrawn. We urge this court to strike out the charge.”

‎But Ojogbane, who appeared together with Nnadi and other lawyers for the prosecution, expressed surprise over the team leader’s claim that the EFCC gave the instruction for the withdrawal of the case.

The EFCC lawyer said, “I’m a little bit surprised by the submission of the learned silk (Nnadi).

“The instruction from my own director, legal and prosecution of the EFCC, Mr. Chime Okoroma, is for me to appear with the DPP of the Federation‎ who he said would be coming to court this morning to withdraw this charge on behalf of the Attorney General of the Federation.

“When I got to the court this morning I did not see him (DPP) but I saw the name of the learned silk on the cause list. I approached him and he confirmed to me that he had been briefed by the office of the AGF. He (Nnadi) told me he has the fiat of the AGF which is already admitted as exhibit in this court.

“He (Nnadi) put a call through to the DPP Federation whom I had the privilege of speaking with on the learned silk’s phone and he told me that the learned silk was going to withdraw the charge.

“It is not correct to say that EFCC asked him to withdraw the charge. EFCC did not instruct me to come and withdraw the charge.”

Ojogbane explained that the ‎reason given by the the DPP for withdrawing the case was that the Sylva had similar charges pending against him before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the same Federal High Court in Abuja.

‎He said, “I can confirm that this charge is to be withdrawn this morning by the office of the DPP and the reason given was that there are two similar matters against the accused person in this court – one before your lordship and another one beofre Justice A.R Mohammed which has progressed more than the one before your lordship.”

Sylva’s lawyer, Mr. Israel Olorundare (SAN), did not oppose the application for the withdrawal of the suit.

He urged the court to strike it out as prayed by the prosecution but he also urged the court to order the release of his client’s passport which had been in the custody of the court since he was first arraigned in 2012.

Olorundare also urged the court to restrain the EFCC from arresting Sylva based on the charges that were withdrawn.

While Nnadi did not oppose the release of ‎Sylva’s passport to him, the lawyer said the court could not possibly give any order in anticipation of his arrest.

Justice Chukwu in his ruling struck out the case as he held that the Attorney-General of the Federation possessed the power under the constitution to delegate his power to issue a fiat as it was done in the case.

The judge also ordered that Sylva’s passport be released to him with the striking out of his case before the court.
Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by citizenisb: 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2015

The judge also ordered that Sylva’s passport be released to him with the striking out of his case before the court.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Trut(m): 5:59pm On Jun 01, 2015
OK ooo
Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by citizenisb: 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2350918/aisha-buharis-inauguration-wristwatch-cost

Investigations by BREAKING TIMES on Monday revealed that Aisha Buhari, wife of the President of Nigeria wore a Cartier Baignoire Folle 18-Carat White Gold Diamond Ladies Watch that cost £34,500 to President Muhammadu Buhari’s inauguration on Friday, May 29 2015.

The equivalent of this at the current Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) foreign exchange rate of N303 to £1 is N10, 453, 000 (Ten Million, Four Hundred and Fifty Three Thousand Naira).

The Cartier Baignoire Folle 18-Carat White Gold Diamond Ladies Watch comes in a case made of rhodiumised white gold set with brilliant-cut diamonds. On the side of the case is an octagonal crown set with a diamond. The case is 44mm high, 35mm wide and 10mm thick and is covered by glare-proof sapphire crystal glass.

5 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:05pm On Jun 01, 2015
whether PDP go die or hang, it is so sure that you cannot go against all people. especially not those who contributed to your success.

now, this doesn't say that PDPigst will go scoff free, we shall jail them all. it is time for political witch hunting, take it or leave it...tinubu is clean, amaechi shall be exonerated...yes, as a clear plot of gratitude. but all the rest (except Jonathan wey don beg buhari tired. he don use all his life turn to his friend suddenly. including holding his hands and asking the camera man to focus on it and broadcast it). mama piss, the sheepopo sef no dey safe.

oya, cry me a river when you quote me.
una don live your life, na we turn...

but, no stealing I'm our time...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2015
citizenisb:
https://www.nairaland.com/2350918/aisha-buharis-inauguration-wristwatch-cost

Investigations by BREAKING TIMES on Monday revealed that Aisha Buhari, wife of the President of Nigeria wore a Cartier Baignoire Folle 18-Carat White Gold Diamond Ladies Watch that cost £34,500 to President Muhammadu Buhari’s inauguration on Friday, May 29 2015.

The equivalent of this at the current Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) foreign exchange rate of N303 to £1 is N10, 453, 000 (Ten Million, Four Hundred and Fifty Three Thousand Naira).

The Cartier Baignoire Folle 18-Carat White Gold Diamond Ladies Watch comes in a case made of rhodiumised white gold set with brilliant-cut diamonds. On the side of the case is an octagonal crown set with a diamond. The case is 44mm high, 35mm wide and 10mm thick and is covered by glare-proof sapphire crystal glass.
do u realise that this woman is self made? she owns one of the best spas in the country. she doesn't need anyone to buy her jewelries. she is capable and worthy.

in case you don't knw, she has the first beauty shop in the north and she has a big branch in Abuja. and its not like the one you girlfriend has, they offer special and advanced treatments as mesotherapy, advanced gold facial and TCA and so on. she even has a lot of documentation including a book on essentials of beauty therapy and so on

she has her certicifate from international beauty schools from United States, UK, Dubai and so on. she is worth every penny. pls don't foam for mouth abeg... the woman is a silent achiever

now, this must be hard on you...but kindly visit

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://lindaikeji..com/2015/05/the-first-lady-of-nigeria-aisha-buhari.html&sa=U&ei=xJBsVYbUF8KAUc-fgpgG&ved=0CBoQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNGD5woS78akwlQZBJObiNjo38E4Xw

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by citizenisb: 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2015
http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/changing-story-dpp-withdraws-n2-45bn-fraud-charges-against-timipre-sylva/

The Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr. M.S Diri, on Monday withdrew the N2.45bn fraud charges instituted against a former governor of ‎Bayelsa State, Mr. Timipre Sylva PUNCH newspaper is reporting.

BREAKING TIMES had reported how Festus Keyamo was pressurized by Buhari to hands off the prosecution of Timi Sylva’s case.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by richidinho(m): 6:09pm On Jun 01, 2015
Are you surprise?

Buhari once said "Abacha was not kwarrupt"

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by helpee(m): 6:11pm On Jun 01, 2015
Just 3 days into buhari Govt, EFCC is now withdrawing cases....i thought they said we need more prisons. Yeye dey smell

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by ProfessorPeter(m): 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2015
I will pight kworuption . 3days in Office, Buhari has released APC chieftain.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by atlwireles: 6:14pm On Jun 01, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin Jonathan why are you killing the judiciary grin grin grin grin grin grin

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Trut(m): 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2015
Lalasticlala pls do the needful grin
Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2015
PDPigst, why now? ehn? una don dey foam for mouth already?

ok...maybe u forgot...

it was said that out great general will not prosecute past governments, but they should be ready to strike a deal and return the loot.

but, no more stealing under our nose.

so, keep forming epilepsy...I hope u get strength to keep up for the first four years?

5 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by doctokwus: 6:26pm On Jun 01, 2015
This is honestly shocking,uncalled for and must be reviewed.
Whoever thinks Nigerians voted for the same of d same must be joking.We voted for change and change we must get into how we conduct our business in Nigeria.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by omolami: 6:27pm On Jun 01, 2015
See how Buhari onechance is fighting corruption. He first ordered Kayemo Festus to stop the prosecution of Sylvia and now has ordered the withdrawal of the case from the court. See who is fighting corruption. A person that came to power through corruption can't fight same corruption. I congratulate Buhari for promoting corruption

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Bayswater: 6:28pm On Jun 01, 2015
I just said it in a post today that we cannot have a free, fair and independent judiciary under an APC government. Never!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Jorussia(m): 6:29pm On Jun 01, 2015
.You guys should stop embarrassing yourselves here,the case was withdrawn because sylva is facing similar charges before another judge.

8 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by donphilopus: 6:33pm On Jun 01, 2015
Rubbish! This OP clearly knows nothing. 'The DPP withdrew his case against Sylva' is different from 'Court dismisses corruption case against Sylva'. If the person who filed the suit said he's no longer interested with the case, what do you expect the court to do?! Una no even get sense!!

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by captainBIAFRA(m): 6:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
Jorussia:
.You guys should stop embarrassing yourselves here,the case was withdrawn because sylva is facing similar charges before another judge.

In that Federal High Court, there are only three fearless Judges that don't run away from cases orinterpreting the law as it is. Hon Justice Evoh Chukwu is one of them. Many litigants run away from the trio when they know that the Law might not be in their favour.

Keep a tab on this case. They know what they did. The case is as good as dead.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by gregg2: 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
[size=13pt]Buhari is starting his regime by courting corrupt persons? This man's regime will be worst than every other before him.

First, Buhari and vice refuse to declare asset publicly.

Second, Buhari ordered Festus Keyamo to withdraw corruption case against Sylva

Third, Buhari ordered court to strike out corruption case against Sylva
[/size]

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Gepheral: 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
Long overdue
Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by 1miccza: 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
Baba at work,dem dey crase ni!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by ayusco85(m): 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
dickrider:
[size=28pt] undecided
WHERE IS THE CHANGE[/size]

Ask conductor

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by kingiykon(m): 6:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
Same old story

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
how can corruption fight corruption

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Godswill Akpabio Celebrates His 55th Birthday With Family, Friends & Associates / 2020 Budget Is A Budget Of Bankruptcy ― Odilim Enwegbara, Economist / Nkechi Ikpeazu To Offset Medical Bill Of Abused 10-year-old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.