Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! (9480 Views)

Europe By Road; My Ordeal And Death Of A Friend / Europe By Land Or By Air / Warning: Disturbing Images, The Horror Of Attempting Europe By Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 10:13am On Feb 17, 2009
[size=14pt]huge number of people trying to get to europe by land do not make it alive, the ultimate risks in this daring trip indeed outweigh the sacrifice. let's consider the risks factors involved and the ratio between those who succeed and those who died trying to. . .
how many people we see drowning in the Mediterranean sea every now and then on euronews? what about those who died by the roasting heat of the sahara deserts, is it those who are being killed by armed rubbers or those bitten by desert snakes and scorpions? did i add those who starved to death on the (many days) long journey without food nor water? what about those who are stranded in the middle of no where and can't even find the money or means to return home?
in fact, no journey man succeeds without being rescued by coast guard or the eu navy.
with all these and many other factors, one can understand that the amount of those who succeed does not even represent 15 percent of the people who attempt the journey because, even the people lucky enough to succeed by rescue teams are then kept to be fed with the long needed food and eventually deported. learn a lesson. chao[/size]
people should be careful and think twice b4 taking the do-or-die measures to get to europe. here you can see a photo of a nigerian stranded and frustrated in bamako, mali on the "road to europe".
from sources, this young man has just been paid a wage of a free dish of malian delicacies after massive axing of fire-wood for a local restaurant in bamako sad

Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 10:25am On Feb 17, 2009
http://uk.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=312&l=dir&q=illegal+immigrant+drown&dm=all

More Somali Illegal Immigrant Drown; Yemen Seeks to Stop their Flow

Yemeni Coast Guard Forces pulled out the corpses of five illegal immigrants on Friday evening off Yemen's southern coasts while they were trying to infiltrate into the country.
www.yemenpost.net/31/LocalNews/20086.htm

Illegal immigrants drown after forced to jump ship - Telegraph
NINE illegal African immigrants drowned today near Spain's Canary Islands after they were reportedly forced to jump off the boat transporting them. ,
304k - 43 sec @ 56k
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1338273/Illegal-immigrants-drown-after-forced-to-jump-ship.html

Eight Egyptian illegal immigrants drown in botched attempt to ,
15 Sep 2007 , Eight Egyptian illegal immigrants drown in botched attempt to reach Italy.
465k - 66 sec @ 56k
www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/15/africa/ME-GEN-Egypt-Human-Trafficking.php

Illegal immigrants drown - Truveo Video Search
Illegal Immigrants Drown (DHA) A boat carrying illegal immigrants sank off the shore of Bodrum in Mugla. The bodies of 7 illegal immigrants were found in ,
uk.truveo.com/Illegal-immigrants-drown/id/3310628954

Illegal immigration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some illegal immigrants seek to live with loved ones, such as a spouse or , resulting to the abandonment and sometimes drowning of said immigrants. ,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigration

Illegal immigrants drown off coast of Libya (2nd Lead)
Tripoli - At least 150 illegal immigrants drowned when their boat capsized an hour after it sailed from Libya on its way to Italy, an Egyptian diplomat in ,
www.monstersandcritics.com/news/middleeast/news/article_1411559.php/Illegal_immigrants_drown_off_coast_of_Libya__2nd_Lead_

Four illegal immigrants drown near eastern Aegean island | Article ,
Four illegal immigrants drown near eastern Aegean island , find AP Worldstream articles. AP Worldstream 09-13-2004 Dateline: ATHENS, Greece Four ,
77k - 11 sec @ 56k www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-98960616.html

Illegal Immigrants Drown off Mauritania
Illegal Immigrants Drown off Mauritania. Abidjan 19 December 2005 , "It concerns a certain number of immigrants, who are 45 persons, who left this weekend ,
www.voanews.com/english/archive/2005-12/2005-12-19-voa57.cfm

News - West Africa: Would-be illegal immigrants drown
Four women have drowned while trying to cross illegally into Spanish territory, the authorities said.
www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=86&art_id=nw20090112204655389C460747

Sponsored Results Legal Immigration
information on immigration laws & benefits allowed for immigrants!
www.everyclick.com

Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 10:34am On Feb 17, 2009
http://mpelembe.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2009/2/16/4094872.html
Eighteen African immigrants drown off Canary Islands
by Mnet on Mon 16 Feb 2009 02:36 PM GMT  |  Permanent Link  |  Cosmos
Eighteen African migrants, some of them children, die as they try to reach the Canary Islands in a wooden boat.

LANZAROTE, SPAIN (FEBRUARY 16, 2009) FORTA -
Spanish coastguards found the corpses of 18 immigrants, some of them
children, off the coast of Lanzarote in the Atlantic after their boat sank on
Sunday (February 15), emergency services said.

Coast guards plucked six immigrants from the water alive after their
boat sank around 7 p.m. local time (1900 GMT) in the waters off the most
northerly of the Canary Island chain.

Emergency services believe the boat was thought to be carrying between
24 and 28 people.

Over the weekend two other boats carrying 145 people, around 20 of them
children, landed safely on nearby Tenerife.

Rights groups say the majority of immigrants trying to make the voyage
on rickety open-topped boats die in their attempts to make it from West
African countries
like Mauritania and Senegal to Spain and a better life in
Europe. They accuse criminal gangs which run the trade of failing to equip the
boats with enough fuel, water and accurate navigation instruments, condemning
many of the immigrants to death at sea.

A total of 13,424 illegal immigrants arrived last year -- 9,181 to the
Canaries -- down from a peak of 39,180 overall in 2006, according to the
Spanish Interior Ministry.
Posted to:  World News

Post a comment
http://mpelembe.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2009/2/16/4094872.html
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 10:35am On Feb 17, 2009
http://news.iafrica.com/worldnews/1111923.htm
71 immigrants drown
Article By: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:44
Seventy would-be illegal African immigrants to Europe perished when their boat sank in the Mediterranean Sea, according to eight companions rescued on Wednesday off Malta, officials said.

If their tale is confirmed, it would be one of the worst such incidents ever recorded off Malta, a target destination for Africans trying to reach Europe in often-flimsy watercraft.

The survivors were plucked out of the water by a Maltese fishing vessel, the Madonna di Pompei, from a semi-submerged dinghy 70 kilometres (40 nautical miles) off Malta, then transferred to a military patrol boat.

An Armed Forces of Malta twin-engine Islander patrol aircraft went out to the area to look for other survivors, but none were found.

It earlier emerged during police questioning that the original group consisted of 79 people — all men, apart from eight women, four of them pregnant, and one child.

But a UN official later placed the original number at 78.

Investigations were continuing, a police spokesperson told AFP.

The passengers, all African, had apparently set sail from Libya last Thursday and hit bad weather, said Neil Falzon, a representative of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Malta, who met with the survivors.

Four of those dead were women, three of them pregnant, he said.

"On Monday, the rubber dinghy started taking water and it overturned with the immigrants drowned," Falzon said. "They just kept holding on to the dinghy until last night they were spotted by the Maltese fishing vessel."

He identified the immigrants as Eritreans, Ghanaians, Somalians and Sudanese, according to news reports.

"My appeal goes to the government to release these immigrants from the detention centre because of their health and traumatic conditions," Falzon said, adding that three needed urgent medical care.

Malta, the smallest of the 27 EU member states, is a target for Africans trying to get into Europe by boat from North Africa, with Libya being the most common point of departure.

Some 1700 illegal immigrants landed on Malta in 2007, according to an AFP count.

On Sunday, more than 100 illegal immigrants were brought ashore in two separate operations off Malta.

The last case of serious loss of life off Malta came in May 2007 when 53 would-be immigrants perished at sea.

"Nothwithstanding that they know about (previous) tragedies, these desperate people still try and make the journey to Europe," Falzon said.

Some 380 illegal immigrants have died at sea over the first six months of this year in the Sicily Canal, the Mediterranean strip between Sicily and Tunisia, the aid charity Doctors Without Borders estimates. About 500 died there in 2006.

Elsewhere on the Mediterranean, the crew of a Dubai-bound ship discovered 14 stowaways aboard off the coast of Algeria this week. It turned them all over to the Algerian authorities, coast-guard officials in Algiers said on Wednesday.

http://news.iafrica.com/worldnews/1111923.htm
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by wolfdog: 10:58am On Feb 17, 2009
cry sorry no response, grin guy u should have done that b4 bandiejay, try and be creative
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Busybody2(f): 2:46pm On Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, there are no responses yet because it was posted a couple of hours ago and people have not really viewed it yet, those who have are reflecting and pondering over the issues raised by Tegese cry

I can see girls in some of those pictures, and know that some families make those journeys too cry Why - if most of the females who undertake these journeys resort to prostitution to make ends meet - don't they just sit at home instead embarassed Over here its an average £10 for a blow-job and £25 for full sex, if picked on the roadside, surely they make more than these in Nigeria undecided

It is not even as if these journeys are cheap, correct me if I am wrong, but don't one need at least $500 to survive the treacherous journey fron Africa to Mainland Europe

Hmmn, oro p'esi je cry
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 17, 2009
Are these risky, expensive crossings justifiable? undecided

God help them.

DeltaVAGTM
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Kx: 4:11pm On Feb 17, 2009
On board an airplane for 6-8hrs journey,one prays and begs God for journey
mercy,why are our peps damn desperate?

Any use for this kind of journey?

How I come across the sea its HEAVEN!
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Kx: 4:15pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kx:

How I come across the sea its HEAVEN!

How I wish across the sea its HEAVEN!
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2009
Oh, some reasonable people are here, smiley . . .Big-Bumper, i salute you kiss
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Busybody2(f): 6:46pm On Feb 17, 2009
Siena:

Are these risky, expensive crossings justifiable? undecided

God help them.

DeltaVAGTM

I know it costs a lot more than that, was just trying to be vague undecided Some people spend close to £30,000 in their mission to abandon their country of birth by any means embarassed
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Treetop20(m): 10:37pm On Feb 17, 2009
30,000 quid? shocked shocked
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 11:26pm On Feb 19, 2009
babycool:

Tegese, thank you for the information and pictures, for those who still want go travel illegally, you better think twice!
nothing actually appeases a person than this; seeing people appreciating one's efforts. thanks, sis

1 Like

Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Busybody2(f): 11:59pm On Feb 19, 2009
Treetop20:

30,000 quid? shocked shocked

I will dredge up the threads someday, and you would be shocked to see people even justifying it that they can make that amount back in 5 years if they really work hard shocked

Give me the £30,000 and see if I wouldn't quickly jump on the next plane back to Africa, before the £pounds drops to 1-2-1 and the money becomes N30,000naira before my very eyes cheesy
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by tope2000(f): 12:00am On Feb 20, 2009
Gosh . . . . . .is it by force to come to Europe undecided
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Busybody2(f): 12:03am On Feb 20, 2009
tope2000:

Gosh . . . . . .is it by force to come to Europe undecided

It is a do or die affair for some peeps apparently undecided
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Gamine(f): 12:09am On Feb 20, 2009
O di kwa Vely Dan ge rus shocked
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by benincitys(f): 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2009
my blood brother told me he will perfer to be a flower in Europa  than  be a human B  in Nigeria .
they all want to leave Nigeria by all means  all the young boys and young girls   in   EDO state  want to move out
ever if it cause them their life .
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Busybody2(f): 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2009
Just thinking out loudly Why can't those people who are prepared to die in the process of leaving Nigeria, can't instead mobilise themselves to overthrow the Government undecided
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 6:07pm On Feb 22, 2009
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Vicjustice: 9:40am On Mar 10, 2009
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by busybody20: 11:29am On Mar 10, 2009
Busy_body:

Yeah, there are no responses yet because it was posted a couple of hours ago and people have not really viewed it yet, those who have are reflecting and pondering over the issues raised by Tegese cry

I can see girls in some of those pictures, and know that some families make those journeys too cry Why - if most of the females who undertake these journeys resort to prostitution to make ends meet - don't they just sit at home instead [size=18pt][ Over here its an average £10 for a blow-job and £25 for full sex[/size], if picked on the roadside, surely they make more than these in Nigeria undecided

It is not even as if these journeys are cheap, correct me if I am wrong, but don't one need at least $500 to survive the treacherous journey fron Africa to Mainland Europe

Hmmn, oro p'esi je cry

hmmm na wa ooo.  How you take know? Abi na from experience or u don do  lipsrsealed   lipsrsealed before? 

Anyways missed ya, how u dey?
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Vicjustice: 12:49pm On Mar 20, 2009
Busybody20 and Busy_body, i really can't distinguish Who is talking to whom. By the way, who amongst you is the one i am fond of, i mean the Human Rights Activist?
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by blacksta(m): 5:25pm On Mar 20, 2009
Europe or die. Very sad .

I blame all those who go back home on holidays spending money like there is no tomorrow but the truth of the matter this money was saved through out the year doing useless menial jobs

1 Like

Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Tegese: 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2009
blacksta:

Europe or die. Very sad .

I blame all those who go back home on holidays spending money like there is no tomorrow but the truth of the matter this money was saved through out the year doing useless menial jobs
don't blame anyone for them, people should take responsibilities for their own behaviour. Also, it doesn't matter what one does to make money as long as it's not illegal
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by grace5: 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2009
My God to See  all this is quite pathetic,even as a Nigerian residing in Europe ,life are quite difficult.

In Ireland a family with Austrian   resident permit 5 in family relocate to Ireland no work can not claim welfare as new regulation said,

that you must have work for 3 years to claim state assistance been assisted by a church.

Many people are in limbo, no work not enough money to settle back in Nigeria.

many cases,Europe and America not a place to come now.

like is quite difficult for niger in Europe
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by justwise(m): 5:05pm On Nov 12, 2009
grace5:

My God to See all this is quite pathetic,even as a Nigerian residing in Europe ,life are quite difficult.
In Ireland a family with Austrian resident permit 5 in family relocate to Ireland no work can not claim welfare as new regulation said,
that you must have work for 3 years to claim state assistance been assisted by a church.
Many people are in limbo, no work not enough money to settle back in Nigeria.
many cases,Europe and America not a place to come now.
like is quite difficult for niger in Europe

PPle don't research well b4 relocating, some got wrong advice or refused to listen to warning. Its not easy anywhere when u have no source of income

1 Like

Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by OAM4J: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2009
I don’t understand why someone will put his life at risk in other to pursue uncertainties.
I know the discussion that it is not easy everywhere has been fully exhausted with little result, but to pursue this uncertainty at the risk of your life is TOTAL MADNESS.

And those people/agents deceiving and tricking people into such dangers have to be summarily executed, they do not deserve to live.
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by zoebaby: 2:56am On Dec 11, 2009
Tegese,

Please email me at zoebabywells@hotmail.com. I don't know any other way but to use this public forum.

Zoe
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by Busybody2(f): 6:37pm On Dec 11, 2009
busybody20:

hmmm na wa ooo.  How you take know? Abi na from experience or u don do  lipsrsealed   lipsrsealed before? 

Anyways missed ya, how u dey?

angry Does our busybody bidness bring home enough money angry Did I send you message to propagate my bidness angry SHOMBO tongue

Vicjustice:

Busybody20 and Busy_body, i really can't distinguish Who is talking to whom. By the way, who amongst you is the one i am fond of, i mean the Human Rights Activist?

Dokita, do you have to ask again angry Can't you see the number 20 in her moniker depicts she is the 20th in line to carry my bags and attend to my every whims - HINT - I HAVE 20 HOUSEHELPS/PERSONAL ASSISTANT, but she has a chronic problem of verbal diarrhoea, since you are a Doctor, can you please book an urgent appointment to have her checked out please, you can charge the bill to my account, thanks cheesy grin cheesy

zoebaby:

Tegese,

Please email me at zoebabywells@hotmail.com. I don't know any other way but to use this public forum.

Zoe

And why are you dropping your number for my Hubby Tegese in my presence angry tongue tongue tongue

@ Tegs

Hi babes, long time no hear kiss kiss kiss
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by mevisbleek: 4:54pm On Dec 12, 2009
@busy body where did u get such an info from, that people pple spend 30,000quid to abandon their country. Do u know what 30k quid is 7.5million naira.
Re: Europe By Land, A Suicide Mission! by akanbijm: 1:22pm On Dec 14, 2009
This is serious.May God help African leaders to think about the welfare of their citizens especially Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Road Trip From Lagos To Abidjan And Back / Why Are You Still Abroad? / Journey To Waterside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.