Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,610 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online (111363 Views)

Five Dashboard Signs On Your Vehicle That Needs Instant Attention. / 15 Tips To Prolong The Life-span Of Your Vehicle. / Abuja And Environs, Remotely Follow Your Car Repairs Online. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:36pm On Jul 15, 2015
More timing settings

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2015
More timing settings.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:49pm On Jul 15, 2015
Opened bottom of engine to check stariner and clean any dirt

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:50pm On Jul 15, 2015
Rav4 2003

Engine is ready to be installed.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Emperoh(m): 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2015
When will Abuja be blessed with your type? I come here everyday to learn...... Keep it up biko.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by rantexson(m): 10:48pm On Jul 15, 2015
Nice work you doing bro, i'm really overwhelmed and motivated. More grease to your steaming elbows.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:45am On Jul 16, 2015
rantexson:
Nice work you doing bro, i'm really overwhelmed and motivated. More grease to your steaming elbows.
Emperoh:
When will Abuja be blessed with your type? I come here everyday to learn...... Keep it up biko.

Thank you very much.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:47am On Jul 16, 2015
Rav4 2003.

Long crack on 2 of the sparkplug coils.

I cranked engine anyway, it idled rough and shut down. It also bunt the efi fuse.

All engine coils will have to be replaced.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:49am On Jul 16, 2015
Took the mdx on a small 10km trip after the harness repair, so far no codes, if none in the morning I will update and deliver vehicle after a wash.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Emperoh(m): 3:09am On Jul 16, 2015
Had a learning experience i do like to share here. . . . . .

Car: Lexus ES330
Year: 2005

So over a period of time, i just notice some sort of vibration on my car starting at 60km/hr.
Was quite disturbing since no amount of wheel balancing and alignment solved my problem. I think i even reported the case here.

Went to my mechanic and did a test drive with him. Closer observation showed weak front Stabiliser linkages and suspension bushings. He suggested they could be the cause. I had both parts changed and then a test drive. This somewhat reduced the vibration but did not solve the problem well enough. Still felt tingles at 70 and increased vibration at 80km upwards.

We fixed to meet following day for closer examination. We discovered a binding brake on left front wheel. One of the Caliper pistons was stuck out and the rubber linings also worn, causing a sort of hydraulic leakage. Mind you, there wasn't any hydraulic shortage too. Mechanic also attributed a type of gripping sound i heard on acceleration from a static position to the binding brake, but didn't specifically say it caused the vibration. We looked for the rubber linings but couldn't find any to re-kit the caliper. I also noticed that the brake discs i bought and changed last December were already warped angry angry sad sad shocked shocked Also, brake pads on the left front wheel totally worn!!

I asked them to couple the legs and let me have my car since they couldn't get the re-kit materials for the caliper. I was already making arrangements to order the part from Lagos when i decided to try out Apo mechanic village (my first time going there since i moved to Abuja). I also gave them all through Thursday to see if they can find a replacement caliper for the car or the rubber kit.

By Friday, with no response from the mechanic guys, i headed to Apo. Got there and took out the offending caliper. No matching part was found, as the most common for the 2005 Camry was single piston caliper, while mine was double piston. I insisted on what i needed. Eventually, some dude came and took the old one and left. Came back 30 minutes later, with my caliper rekitted grin grin. I got a new pair of brake pads and reinstalled on the car.

Meanwhile, i went for another round of wheel balancing before the caliper fix. So i kinda noticed an improved driving with no much vibrations. In fact i drove to the airport and back with no issues the saturday after the Friday i did an alignment. So it was hard for me to pick out that the vibrations were completely gone after the caliper service.

Fast forward 3 weeks later, and a trip to Kaduna inbetween, the vibrations paid me another visit grin angry angry angry
Just returned from an official trip and my car parked for 3 days. I made to move it out for work the next day and i heard this sound like something being let of a strong grip. I paid not much attention to it. Car drove smoothly to work on Thursday. But on Friday, omo, the vibrations came back. I couldn't do much as i left town the following day and returned on Monday morning.

Moved the car out a parked position and heard the same gripping sound again. I decided to pay less attention to it until wknd, and with the benefit of holidays, i would have time for it and to get to the bottom of this nonsense angry angry angry

But on Tuesday, after several rounds and all runs, the car became practically undriveable at any speed beyond 50km/hr. Could see the passenger front seats shaking. None of my two trust mechanics were available. One eventually asked me to return at 2pm since he was engaged. Well, i went to some third guy who works on a number of my colleagues car, who asked to go do an alignment. My insistence it was not an alignment issue was rebuffed. I asked him to refer me to someone and he did. I struck a deal with the alignment guy, if alignment didn't solve the wahala, I won't pay! And he set to work. When he finished, a test drive showed no difference. angry angry

I also noticed that at initial start up, when the wheel is relatively cold, the vibration goes away and return with intensity when hot. Well, i managed the car to my mechanic's workshop and somehow, met him. We fixed an appointment for this morning. He couldn't work on it yesterday as he was busy. I just queued and got fuel, sorted a number internet issues I had, used an ATM and was driving home when i just thought of ringing the second mechanic. Lo, he was back and asked me to come. I bought banana and drove to his shop, i anticipation of a long diagnosis and repair and maybe a sleep over (my car) at his workshop.

He test drove the car and was telling me about considering changing my tires shocked shocked sad sad angry angry lipsrsealed but somehow, noticed that my brakes were binding. We could even perceive some brake odour at shot stops. Lo, the right front wheel was binding. When in drive, the car won't even lunge forward. On neutral on a slope, the car is static. The slight gripping sound on braking also noticed. While i noticed these sounds, it never occurred to me they were the cause of the vibrations.

We dismantled the caliper and discovered one of the pistons were stuck out. Took the caliper to Apo and serviced the caliper and reinstalled. Did a test drive and my car was sailing smoothly at 140km/hr. grin grin cheesy cheesy I will have another set of balancing and alignment later today to solve a slight tingle at 120km. Also planning on changing my rotors once more.

So ends my long story grin grin cheesy
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
Emperoh:
Had a learning experience i do like to share here. . . . . .

Car: Lexus ES330
Year: 2005

So over a period of time, i just notice some sort of vibration on my car starting at 60km/hr.
Was quite disturbing since no amount of wheel balancing and alignment solved my problem. I think i even reported the case here.

Went to my mechanic and did a test drive with him. Closer observation showed weak front Stabiliser linkages and suspension bushings. He suggested they could be the cause. I had both parts changed and then a test drive. This somewhat reduced the vibration but did not solve the problem well enough. Still felt tingles at 70 and increased vibration at 80km upwards.

We fixed to meet following day for closer examination. We discovered a binding brake on left front wheel. One of the Caliper pistons was stuck out and the rubber linings also worn, causing a sort of hydraulic leakage. Mind you, there wasn't any hydraulic shortage too. Mechanic also attributed a type of gripping sound i heard on acceleration from a static position to the binding brake, but didn't specifically say it caused the vibration. We looked for the rubber linings but couldn't find any to re-kit the caliper. I also noticed that the brake discs i bought and changed last December were already warped angry angry sad sad shocked shocked Also, brake pads on the left front wheel totally worn!!

I asked them to couple the legs and let me have my car since they couldn't get the re-kit materials for the caliper. I was already making arrangements to order the part from Lagos when i decided to try out Apo mechanic village (my first time going there since i moved to Abuja). I also gave them all through Thursday to see if they can find a replacement caliper for the car or the rubber kit.

By Friday, with no response from the mechanic guys, i headed to Apo. Got there and took out the offending caliper. No matching part was found, as the most common for the 2005 Camry was single piston caliper, while mine was double piston. I insisted on what i needed. Eventually, some dude came and took the old one and left. Came back 30 minutes later, with my caliper rekitted grin grin. I got a new pair of brake pads and reinstalled on the car.

Meanwhile, i went for another round of wheel balancing before the caliper fix. So i kinda noticed an improved driving with no much vibrations. In fact i drove to the airport and back with no issues the saturday after the Friday i did an alignment. So it was hard for me to pick out that the vibrations were completely gone after the caliper service.

Fast forward 3 weeks later, and a trip to Kaduna inbetween, the vibrations paid me another visit grin angry angry angry
Just returned from an official trip and my car parked for 3 days. I made to move it out for work the next day and i heard this sound like something being let of a strong grip. I paid not much attention to it. Car drove smoothly to work on Thursday. But on Friday, omo, the vibrations came back. I couldn't do much as i left town the following day and returned on Monday morning.

Moved the car out a parked position and heard the same gripping sound again. I decided to pay less attention to it until wknd, and with the benefit of holidays, i would have time for it and to get to the bottom of this nonsense angry angry angry

But on Tuesday, after several rounds and all runs, the car became practically undriveable at any speed beyond 50km/hr. Could see the passenger front seats shaking. None of my two trust mechanics were available. One eventually asked me to return at 2pm since he was engaged. Well, i went to some third guy who works on a number of my colleagues car, who asked to go do an alignment. My insistence it was not an alignment issue was rebuffed. I asked him to refer me to someone and he did. I struck a deal with the alignment guy, if alignment didn't solve the wahala, I won't pay! And he set to work. When he finished, a test drive showed no difference. angry angry

I also noticed that at initial start up, when the wheel is relatively cold, the vibration goes away and return with intensity when hot. Well, i managed the car to my mechanic's workshop and somehow, met him. We fixed an appointment for this morning. He couldn't work on it yesterday as he was busy. I just queued and got fuel, sorted a number internet issues I had, used an ATM and was driving home when i just thought of ringing the second mechanic. Lo, he was back and asked me to come. I bought banana and drove to his shop, i anticipation of a long diagnosis and repair and maybe a sleep over (my car) at his workshop.

He test drove the car and was telling me about considering changing my tires shocked shocked sad sad angry angry lipsrsealed but somehow, noticed that my brakes were binding. We could even perceive some brake odour at shot stops. Lo, the right front wheel was binding. When in drive, the car won't even lunge forward. On neutral on a slope, the car is static. The slight gripping sound on braking also noticed. While i noticed these sounds, it never occurred to me they were the cause of the vibrations.

We dismantled the caliper and discovered one of the pistons were stuck out. Took the caliper to Apo and serviced the caliper and reinstalled. Did a test drive and my car was sailing smoothly at 140km/hr. grin grin cheesy cheesy I will have another set of balancing and alignment later today to solve a slight tingle at 120km. Also planning on changing my rotors once more.

So ends my long story grin grin cheesy

You are better off buying a single piston tokumbor calliper, than servicing the old one.

There might be ware on the bore, or the seals may be worn.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Emperoh(m): 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

You are better off buying a single piston tokumbor calliper, than servicing the old one.

There might be ware on the bore, or the seals may be worn.

I was thinking it won't fit?
Tell me more

Heard the gripping sound again this morning after a 14hr parking
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by oktawian(m): 7:53pm On Jul 16, 2015
the whole trick with rebuilding the brake calipers is to have proper kit with new bore cylinder and know what kind of grease you need to use .
you have special bore/cylinder grease, then you have grease only for calipers pins ! and in the end grease for fitting brake pads

Regards Oktawian
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
Sorry guys been really swamped with work, most cars have been fixed and owners have come for them. But let me summaries the repairs so far.

Rav4 2003 with the head gasket issue.

The coils were replaced with a brand-new set, but car had a hard time starting off and on so engine Ecu was replaced and car runs perfectly. Most likely the engine Ecu was damaged by the coils.

Opened engine Ecu of rav4 and saw a burnt patch.

Acura MDX 2004 CSV/overheating. Engine Ecu replaced and reprogrammed, so far no more issues, by morning if no codes then car is ok.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:55pm On Jul 17, 2015
Lexus RX350 front suspension fix
Another MDX 2004 front suspension fix
Camry 1998 front suspension fix
Camry 2001 front/rear suspension fix, radiator leak, valve cover oil leak.
Accord 2007 powersteering fix, IACV service, cooling fan fix,injector service, sparkplug change.

Will try and update as mush as possible.

Night duty begins. grin

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:16pm On Jul 17, 2015
Steering rack replacement on the camry 1998

Sway bar instalation on the Rx350.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by gtswt(f): 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2015
Nice job OP!
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:03pm On Jul 18, 2015
Rx350

Sway bar replacement and tie rod end inner right side replacement.

Procedure I used.

Steering rack down, engine beam lowered, propeller detached.

Please ensure the joint between steering and rack is marked before starting the job. That way you don't mess up the steering angle.

Also you need two containers to collect powersteering oil and gear oil when drained so you don't mess up the floor.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:03pm On Jul 18, 2015
gtswt:
Nice job OP!
Thank you
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2015
After installing return every thing back in reverse order.

Allign wheels top up fuilds (power steering and gear oil for axle and propeller) using synthetic fluids will keep your steering and axle in good shape.

Washed and ready to go.

Dedicated to

[size=1pt]lomomike[/size]

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by chukel(m): 5:47pm On Jul 18, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Rx350

Sway bar replacement and tie rod end inner right side replacement.

Procedure I used.

Steering rack down, engine beam lowered, propeller detached.

Please ensure the joint between steering and rack is marked before starting the job. That way you don't mess up the steering angle.

Also you need two containers to collect powersteering oil and gear oil when drained so you don't mess up the floor.
I no understand. Are u saying this ride did not come with sway bar shocked Who come de responsible for that? A white kazeem?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 18, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
After installing return every thing back in reverse order.

Allign wheels top up fuilds (power steering and gear oil for axle and propeller) using synthetic fluids will keep your steering and axle in good shape.

Washed and ready to go.

Dedicated to

[size=1pt]lomomike[/size]

I see am o! Chai! Man my head is bigging... grin thanks for honouring me bro, I feel humbled by your recognition. God bless your work.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:04am On Jul 19, 2015
chukel:
I no understand. Are u saying this ride did not come with sway bar shocked Who come de responsible for that? A white kazeem?

Sway bar de break

This one got damaged when link was removed, lots of rust.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12am On Jul 19, 2015
Camry steering rack replacement.

Not a lot of clear pics cause work was done at night.

As usual center the steering and lock it up.
Unbolt all joints linking steering wheelbfrom cabin area to rack

Unbolt outer tie-rod ends from wheel hubs, unbolt upper right engine mount, ubolt swaybar link, lower beam, unbolt steering rack and it shold come off when hoses are discconected.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by diportivo: 11:11am On Jul 19, 2015
Oga gazzuzz,iv called u twice dis mornin

U still dey sleep?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by aieromon(m): 11:57am On Jul 19, 2015
diportivo:

U still dey sleep?

I believe Sunday is Church day.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by chukel(m): 12:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Sway bar de break

This one got damaged when link was removed, lots of rust.
Ok. Now I get it.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:59pm On Jul 19, 2015
diportivo:

U still dey sleep?

Genesis 2:2 grin

2 Likes

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 19, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Genesis 2:2 grin

Chief, happy sunday! Have my friend with the RX300 spoken to you yet, if he has, what's the latest?

No vex I no wan call and disturb you due to your schedule and I feel you need some rest hence my posting via the Nairaland forum.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
lomomike:

Chief, happy sunday! Have my friend with the RX300 spoken to you yet, if he has, what's the latest?

No vex I no wan call and disturb you due to your schedule and I feel you need some rest hence my posting via the Nairaland forum.

Called and asked for an address, I was swamped withwork told himm I'll send it, got so many calls and could not locate his number on my phone again.

Please tell him to call again.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 19, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Called and asked for an address, I was swamped withwork told himm I'll send it, got so many calls and could not locate his number on my phone again.

Please tell him to call again.

He's been quite busy too. He hasn't picked my calls. I'll send you his number.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (45) (Reply)

2020 Mercedes Benz AVTR Unveiled: Breaks Car Record With Its Looks / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. / Igbo Big Boys Storm Their Village With Their Cars For Christmas. (photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.