Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,185 members, 7,811,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online - Car Talk (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online (111356 Views)

Five Dashboard Signs On Your Vehicle That Needs Instant Attention. / 15 Tips To Prolong The Life-span Of Your Vehicle. / Abuja And Environs, Remotely Follow Your Car Repairs Online. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Experience4u(m): 11:53am On Jul 20, 2015
Have your gripping sound been fixed? If he's what was the last solution. I am having the same issue. Serviced my four wheel calipers cus the mechanic said it is stocked but after 5days the gripping and whistling sound reappeared. I changed my whole brake pads yet this sound.
Emperoh:
Had a learning experience i do like to share here. . . . . .

Car: Lexus ES330
Year: 2005

So over a period of time, i just notice some sort of vibration on my car starting at 60km/hr.
Was quite disturbing since no amount of wheel balancing and alignment solved my problem. I think i even reported the case here.

Went to my mechanic and did a test drive with him. Closer observation showed weak front Stabiliser linkages and suspension bushings. He suggested they could be the cause. I had both parts changed and then a test drive. This somewhat reduced the vibration but did not solve the problem well enough. Still felt tingles at 70 and increased vibration at 80km upwards.

We fixed to meet following day for closer examination. We discovered a binding brake on left front wheel. One of the Caliper pistons was stuck out and the rubber linings also worn, causing a sort of hydraulic leakage. Mind you, there wasn't any hydraulic shortage too. Mechanic also attributed a type of gripping sound i heard on acceleration from a static position to the binding brake, but didn't specifically say it caused the vibration. We looked for the rubber linings but couldn't find any to re-kit the caliper. I also noticed that the brake discs i bought and changed last December were already warped angry angry sad sad shocked shocked Also, brake pads on the left front wheel totally worn!!

I asked them to couple the legs and let me have my car since they couldn't get the re-kit materials for the caliper. I was already making arrangements to order the part from Lagos when i decided to try out Apo mechanic village (my first time going there since i moved to Abuja). I also gave them all through Thursday to see if they can find a replacement caliper for the car or the rubber kit.

By Friday, with no response from the mechanic guys, i headed to Apo. Got there and took out the offending caliper. No matching part was found, as the most common for the 2005 Camry was single piston caliper, while mine was double piston. I insisted on what i needed. Eventually, some dude came and took the old one and left. Came back 30 minutes later, with my caliper rekitted grin grin. I got a new pair of brake pads and reinstalled on the car.

Meanwhile, i went for another round of wheel balancing before the caliper fix. So i kinda noticed an improved driving with no much vibrations. In fact i drove to the airport and back with no issues the saturday after the Friday i did an alignment. So it was hard for me to pick out that the vibrations were completely gone after the caliper service.

Fast forward 3 weeks later, and a trip to Kaduna inbetween, the vibrations paid me another visit grin angry angry angry
Just returned from an official trip and my car parked for 3 days. I made to move it out for work the next day and i heard this sound like something being let of a strong grip. I paid not much attention to it. Car drove smoothly to work on Thursday. But on Friday, omo, the vibrations came back. I couldn't do much as i left town the following day and returned on Monday morning.

Moved the car out a parked position and heard the same gripping sound again. I decided to pay less attention to it until wknd, and with the benefit of holidays, i would have time for it and to get to the bottom of this nonsense angry angry angry

But on Tuesday, after several rounds and all runs, the car became practically undriveable at any speed beyond 50km/hr. Could see the passenger front seats shaking. None of my two trust mechanics were available. One eventually asked me to return at 2pm since he was engaged. Well, i went to some third guy who works on a number of my colleagues car, who asked to go do an alignment. My insistence it was not an alignment issue was rebuffed. I asked him to refer me to someone and he did. I struck a deal with the alignment guy, if alignment didn't solve the wahala, I won't pay! And he set to work. When he finished, a test drive showed no difference. angry angry

I also noticed that at initial start up, when the wheel is relatively cold, the vibration goes away and return with intensity when hot. Well, i managed the car to my mechanic's workshop and somehow, met him. We fixed an appointment for this morning. He couldn't work on it yesterday as he was busy. I just queued and got fuel, sorted a number internet issues I had, used an ATM and was driving home when i just thought of ringing the second mechanic. Lo, he was back and asked me to come. I bought banana and drove to his shop, i anticipation of a long diagnosis and repair and maybe a sleep over (my car) at his workshop.

He test drove the car and was telling me about considering changing my tires shocked shocked sad sad angry angry lipsrsealed but somehow, noticed that my brakes were binding. We could even perceive some brake odour at shot stops. Lo, the right front wheel was binding. When in drive, the car won't even lunge forward. On neutral on a slope, the car is static. The slight gripping sound on braking also noticed. While i noticed these sounds, it never occurred to me they were the cause of the vibrations.

We dismantled the caliper and discovered one of the pistons were stuck out. Took the caliper to Apo and serviced the caliper and reinstalled. Did a test drive and my car was sailing smoothly at 140km/hr. grin grin cheesy cheesy I will have another set of balancing and alignment later today to solve a slight tingle at 120km. Also planning on changing my rotors once more.

So ends my long story grin grin cheesy
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by fkj950ax(m): 7:38pm On Jul 20, 2015
Where is your Workshop?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Emperoh(m): 9:00pm On Jul 20, 2015
Experience4u:
Have your gripping sound been fixed? If he's what was the last solution. I am having the same issue. Serviced my four wheel calipers cus the mechanic said it is stocked but after 5days the gripping and whistling sound reappeared. I changed my whole brake pads yet this sound.

Mine has been sorted even though i still have to change the calipers to get a complete closure.
What symptoms and signs are you experiencing?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nettuno: 9:37pm On Jul 20, 2015
Oga Gazzuzz, please do you have any outlet in the South East? Imo, Abia or even Port Harcourt. We seriously need your services down here urgently.....especially on Lexus Rx 350.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:59pm On Jul 20, 2015
Nettuno:
Oga Gazzuzz, please do you have any outlet in the South East? Imo, Abia or even Port Harcourt. We seriously need your services down here urgently.....especially on Lexus Rx 350.

Chucks +234 803 312 3865

He's in PH. He's excellent at car maintenance, and very reliable and trustworthey
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Experience4u(m): 11:09pm On Jul 20, 2015
It makes a gripping and whistling sound when I try to accelerate from static position. I serviced my calipers yet the sound came back after some days. I don't know if my new break pad is jamming on the disc. I have really spent cash on this issue

Emperoh:

Mine has been sorted even though i still have to change the calipers to get a complete closure.
What symptoms and signs are you experiencing?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nettuno: 11:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
Thanks Oga Gazzuzz. I will put a call across to him. Does he do your kind of Job? I mean is he thorough and able to diagonize well?. From what I read about you here, how I wish u are d one in PH. May be in future you think of opening an outlet in the south east.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 21, 2015
Nettuno:
Thanks Oga Gazzuzz. I will put a call across to him. Does he do your kind of Job? I mean is he thorough and able to diagonize well?. From what I read about you here, how I wish u are d one in PH. May be in future you think of opening an outlet in the south east.

Don't doubt who a professional refers you to most times especially if its within his field.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:03am On Jul 21, 2015
Acura MDX 2004

Suspension work
Spark plug change
Oil change
Throttle body service
Engine wash

Suspension work.
Noticed a clunking sound while driving on rough roads, swaybar bushings, will be replaced along with swaybar links. Also brake pads will be replaced.

Engine bay area.

Sparkplug change, oil/filter change, oil throttle body service and anythings that is noticed.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:07am On Jul 21, 2015
MDX 2004

Suspension work.

You have to lower the beam to unscrew sway bar bushings.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 21, 2015
Wonderful work you have going here Gauzz, do you have someone you can refer me to in onitsha/ nnewi axis as regards to what you do ?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by Emperoh(m): 11:36am On Jul 21, 2015
Experience4u:
It makes a gripping and whistling sound when I try to accelerate from static position. I serviced my calipers yet the sound came back after some days. I don't know if my new break pad is jamming on the disc. I have really spent cash on this issue

When in Drive, does the car move without you accelarating? Again, when in neutral on a gradient, without holding you brakes, does the car move?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:05pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mdx 2004 Brakepad replacement and job is complete.

Always use a clamp to compress caliper pistons, that way you do not bend the bolts.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:11pm On Jul 21, 2015
Accord 2007

Faults

Power steering pump pulley damaged
Suspension work
Serpentine belt replacement
Oil change
Injector sparkplug and throttle body cleaning.
Transmission oil drain and re-fill

Parts have been supplied after dis assembly of suspension.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
Accord 2007

A few worn out suspension parts

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:18pm On Jul 21, 2015
Accord 2007 ball joint replacement.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
Accord 2007

More repair jobs

Old and new lower control arms

Belt and pulley replaced

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:21pm On Jul 21, 2015
Will continue with the accord later tonight.

Next.

2011 hyundai sonata 2.4 liter GDI. Was towed to our office.

Not cranking.

Installed another battery and car started, allowed to run for 30mins and car refused to crank.

Battery was tested in another vehicle and cranks fine.

Primary fault is starter motor.

Vehicle was also scanned comprehensively and it had Evap codes (powertrain), and steering angle sensor with the anti skid warning on.

We will start by removing the starter motor whic is under the intake manifold.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:27pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mazda6 2006 I4

Primary error, cylinder misfire on cylinder 1.

Sparkplugs will be replaced, injectors serviced, intake checked for leaks.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:38pm On Jul 21, 2015
Toyota sienna 1999

Suspension work.

Parts to be replaced.

Lower control arm

And shock absorbers.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:41pm On Jul 21, 2015
Going for a drive test on the mazda 6 grin

Wonderful vehicle to drive grin
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by nissparts(m): 5:52pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Yes it is....save for the turning radius
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by abbeYhart(m): 6:01pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice job you are doing Gazzuzz..Seems that was the toyota sienna I saw at the gate of your auto workshop yesterday morning when I came to drop my car..Well done bro
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:10pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Speed demon!!!! grin chai! Need to get me 1 of these toys.

Meanwhile I will not be doing a customary engine wash since it's a misfire I'm trying to solve. So I'll just be doing a drycleaning. grin

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
Siena lower control arms down.

Now if you ever want to buy any part that has a bushing, always go with a long screwdriver, stick it in the center and tilt sideways. grin our brothers in the toks market like using superglue to hide cracks on bushings and paint over it, this test will catch any fraudulent part dealer.

Old and new control arms with bushings in pic below.

Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by chukel(m): 6:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Mdx 2004 Brakepad replacement and job is complete.

Always use a clamp to compress caliper pistons, that way you do not bend the bolts.

this is exactly what i am suffering now. changed my brake pads 2 months ago as a preventive measure. afterwards i started hearing some clunking sound, grinding sound (only once in the morning when pulling out and applying brakes) then brake drag, and increased fuel consumption. then i started hearing some intermittent squeaky sound all from the same rear passenger tire. went back, we dismantled the caliper, greased the components and coupled back. symptoms lessened, then appeared with greater intensity. i came back from church on sunday, raised the car on jack and discovered tyre couldnt spin on its own (except with so much force from me). removed tyre, dismantled caliper and behold, upper caliper bolt was well bent. unfortunately couldnt get it in bayelsa. will be sourcing for it in PH tomorrow. gazzuz, is there any greater problem this might have caused to any other component?
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:38pm On Jul 21, 2015
chukel:
this is exactly what i am suffering now. changed my brake pads 2 months ago as a preventive measure. afterwards i started hearing some clunking sound, grinding sound (only once in the morning when pulling out and applying brakes) then brake drag, and increased fuel consumption. then i started hearing some intermittent squeaky sound all from the same rear passenger tire. went back, we dismantled the caliper, greased the components and coupled back. symptoms lessened, then appeared with greater intensity. i came back from church on sunday, raised the car on jack and discovered tyre couldnt spin on its own (except with so much force from me). removed tyre, dismantled caliper and behold, upper caliper bolt was well bent. unfortunately couldnt get it in bayelsa. will be sourcing for it in PH tomorrow. gazzuz, is there any greater problem this might have caused to any other component?

Uneven wear on the brakepads.

Heat might have made the o rings in the caliper and piston weak. (not too likely)
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:41pm On Jul 21, 2015
abbeYhart:
Nice job you are doing Gazzuzz..Seems that was the toyota sienna I saw at the gate of your auto workshop yesterday morning when I came to drop my car..Well done bro

Dass IT!! grin almost complete.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by chukel(m): 6:42pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Uneven wear on the brakepads.

Heat might have made the o rings in the caliper and piston weak. (not too likely)
yea, i saw the pads chopping from that upper side. the disc almost burnt my finger. thanks. that small bolt no de the whole of bayelsa o.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
chukel:
yea, i saw the pads chopping from that upper side. the disc almost burnt my finger. thanks. that small bolt no de the whole of bayelsa o.

As e bend, bend am back grin
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by chukel(m): 6:52pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

As e bend, bend am back grin

grin. my oga, are u serious. can it be bent back without breaking.
Re: Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
chukel:
grin. my oga, are u serious. can it be bent back without breaking.

Look for a mallet and a good metal surface.

Also look for a hollow pipe of almost same diameter, when you nack am well e go pass thru with ease. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (45) (Reply)

2020 Mercedes Benz AVTR Unveiled: Breaks Car Record With Its Looks / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. / Igbo Big Boys Storm Their Village With Their Cars For Christmas. (photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.