Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial (2855 Views)

Abandoned N449m: Suspect In EFCC Custody, Threatens To Reveal Owner If… / Whistle-blower: FG Recovers Another $151m, N8b Looted Funds / 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by gratiaeo(m): 5:04am On Jun 04, 2015
THE second batch of suspects from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and some commercial banks involved in the theft and recirculation of defaced and mutilated currencies of over N8 billion into the public were yesterday arraigned before a Federal High Court sitting in Ibadan amidst a mild drama.

One of the 14 accused persons arraigned before Justice Adeyinka Faaji, a cash officer with a first generation bank, Ayodeji Aleshe, claimed that he did not understand English Language when the charges were read to him. The court, however, provided an interpreter, who explained the charges to him in detail in Yoruba language.

He, thereafter, pleaded not guilty to the charges. A 63-count charge was preferred against the 14 suspects; three are CBN staff while six others were workers of three commercial banks.

This brought the number of suspects who have been arraigned in the first two days of the trial to 21.

The suspects who appeared before the court in three sets were accused of conspiracy, theft and recirculation into the public the defaced and mutilated currencies they were instructed to destroy by substituting the notes with newspapers cutting in naira note sizes.

They were alleged to operate fat bank accounts and own luxury properties in foreign countries as well as shopping complexes in excess of their actual income since they started earning salaries.

The accused persons however pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Justice Faaj fixed June 8, 2015 for motion on bail application for the first and second sets of the suspects and directed that they be remanded in prison custody.

The suspects who appeared before the court in three sets were accused of conspiracy, theft and recirculation into the public the defaced and mutilated currencies they were instructed to destroy by substituting the notes with newspapers cutting in naira note sizes

Lead counsel to EFCC, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) in a chat with reporters after the court sitting said Aleshe purportedly escaped custody after his arrest before the arraignment, adding: “We were looking for him.

He had to disguise somewhere. All his sureties were arrested last night (Tuesday) before we were able to get him.” Jacobs also stated that the court would form an opinion on Aleshe on why a cash officer of a first generation bank claimed he does not understand English, yet he allegedly has a credit balance of N132 million in one of his bank accounts, apart from other properties.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/i-dont-speak-english-says-suspect-in-n8b-mutilated-money-trial/

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Pavore9: 5:13am On Jun 04, 2015
He does not understand English Language......how did he get the job?

11 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by bishop4APC: 5:15am On Jun 04, 2015
132 million ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by fashoo2010(m): 5:16am On Jun 04, 2015
Na wa ooo....what a country, he doesn't understand English again because he is a thief... Corruption has really eaten deep in dis country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Nobody: 5:19am On Jun 04, 2015
Pavore9:
He does not understand English Language......how did he get the job?

His father's elder brother's son in law's mother's friend's Sugar daddy must be related to somebody somewhere at the top

Thank God the corrupt god of otuoke is far gone. The law will definitely take its law in this case

3 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Nobody: 5:22am On Jun 04, 2015
yoruba...

4 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Bishop4bella(m): 5:22am On Jun 04, 2015
Incomplete news...what was his/her response after translating the offence.
Is the offender guilty or not?
Don't just give incomplete news. Thanks
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by pedel: 5:29am On Jun 04, 2015
With all the noise about this trial the maximum they will give him is 7 years.
The law must be amended to give cases of corruption minimum of 100 years.
Some people don't deserve to live among men.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by efilefun(m): 5:31am On Jun 04, 2015
Who noticed In less than a week of buhari's administration Efcc had been in the news than the entire tenure of GEJ.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by highmood(m): 5:35am On Jun 04, 2015
I don't want to believe he doesn't understand English, but if that is truly the case, it is a big shame to that financial institutions that employed him. Meanwhile, hope something good comes out of this case, because they have already started pleading not guilty. Probably the money being siphoned will be useful at this moment.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Maxymilliano(m): 5:36am On Jun 04, 2015
Bishop4bella:

The accused persons pleaded not guilty ... It's in the main news.

6 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by ki02020(m): 5:40am On Jun 04, 2015
What language does he speak......french? undecided
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Soskid(m): 5:41am On Jun 04, 2015
AfricanGod2:
yoruba...
Wetin do yoruba? I wonder d difference btw u and a slowpoke if u actually blv that crap that he doesnt understand English.

Anyway, mine is not to blame u but to understand d fact that ure blinded with hatred. Foolish goat
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by 7footre(m): 5:44am On Jun 04, 2015
Last last it will end up with them paying a few millions as fine and they would continue enjoying their sleaze!..... hope EFCC proves me wrong sha at least to send a msg
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by M4gunners: 5:46am On Jun 04, 2015
Chineke someone who doesn't understand English working in CBN? Please give him a Translator to wear.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Nobody: 5:49am On Jun 04, 2015
Hahahahaha... See them. People wey school pass no fit spark simple English . May Na cleaner him be for thebank?

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Burger01(m): 5:55am On Jun 04, 2015
Thief, you are from Korea, abi? You don't speak English yet you were employed and handling cash for the bank. If na French or German you speak we'll get translator or interpreter for yousmiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 04, 2015
An illiterate working with CBN while the literate ones are typing on NL

This is why nepotism and corruption has eaten deep into the fabric of this country.

This man case is not an exception becaUse in Abuja a lot of federal parastatals are headed by northerners who can't speak or understand english but are controlling the other *sophisticated* tribes

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Emphany: 6:02am On Jun 04, 2015
Get him an interpreter thats all. No be all of us wei go school fit speak good english and even the ones that claims to prefer to speak english we dont understand without pocking up a dictionary.
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Nobody: 6:04am On Jun 04, 2015
I'm not suprised because Obafemi Martins said same in a london court, why is it that my yoruba brothers don't like speaking english in court?

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by Nobody: 6:16am On Jun 04, 2015
That man who don't understand English surely speaks Money.
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by vanndubi: 6:18am On Jun 04, 2015
Reading is when you go thru every single line in a passage. Try reading Complete.

Bishop4bella:

One of the 14 accused persons arraigned before Justice Adeyinka Faaji, a cash officer with a first generation bank, Ayodeji Aleshe, claimed that he did not understand English Language when the charges were read to him. The court, however, provided an interpreter, who explained the charges to him in detail in Yoruba language.

He, thereafter, pleaded not guilty to the charges. A 63-count charge was preferred against the 14 suspects; three are CBN staff while six others were workers of three commercial banks.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by sinkhole: 6:20am On Jun 04, 2015
M4gunners:
Chineke someone who doesn't understand English working in CBN? Please give him a Translator to wear.
He works in a commercial bank and not CBN!
I dont think you are very much different from the "illiterate" theif!

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by 3ace(m): 6:26am On Jun 04, 2015
efilefun:
Who noticed In less than a week of buhari's administration Efcc had been in the news than the entire tenure of GEJ.
I had a headmaster in primary school who was a disciplinarian. As soon as he's around, an unusual silence envelopes the whole school that you need no one to tell you he's around. Everybody go just adjust sharpaly.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by 3ace(m): 6:28am On Jun 04, 2015
sinkhole:
Symptom of not reading before commenting.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by M4gunners: 6:29am On Jun 04, 2015
sinkhole:
Fick you ,your entire house hood is also not different from the illiterate.
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by hucienda: 6:29am On Jun 04, 2015
how did he get the job??
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by 3ace(m): 6:32am On Jun 04, 2015
pedel:
With all the noise about this trial the maximum they will give him is 7 years.
The law must be amended to give cases of corruption minimum of 100 years.
Some people don't deserve to live among men.
I agree with you jare; the law against corrupt practices is too light and I will blame it on the national assembly members who have refused to stiffen it. Imagine, the morons hurriedly passed 46 bills into law in 10 minutes. There was never a time when they even considered ammending punishment for financial malpractice because they are also involved-bunch of morons. I pray "the no business as usual" spirit of PMB won't die.

As for the fool who said he doesn't understand English; that's a fat lie! Speaking a language is even more difficult than understanding it and it will be difficult for him work in a banking environment without understanding English. He was just trying to frustrate court proceedings and he was a fool for thinking that will work.
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by midolian(m): 6:33am On Jun 04, 2015
efilefun:
I have noticed same

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by QuotaSystem: 6:41am On Jun 04, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
An illiterate working with CBN while the literate ones are typing on NL

This is why nepotism and corruption has eaten deep into the fabric of this country.

This man case is not an exception becaUse in Abuja a lot of federal parastatals are headed by northerners who can't speak or understand english but are controlling the other *sophisticated* tribes

Keep quiet with your obsession with northerners. If you were literate yourself, you would have known a cash officer is a semi-skilled role, to supervise the burning of old notes in this context. Besides he was a Primary 6 drop-out who was employed by the bank as a security guard before promotion.

http://www.punchng.com/news/n8bn-scam-cash-assistant-has-n134m-in-one-account-says-efcc/

3 Likes

Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by egelege: 6:47am On Jun 04, 2015
Why withhold the banks name? can recommend an english teacher for him while in prison
Re: I Don’t Speak English, Says Suspect In N8b Mutilated Money Trial by LecturerIFE: 6:50am On Jun 04, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of People Travelling To The USA With Mr President / Secret Burial Of 105 Soldiers Killed Bh / Herdsmen Writes A Letter Of Reprisal Attack To Affa Town In Udi Lga Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.