Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Christians And Buhari's Criticisms - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians And Buhari's Criticisms (698 Views)

Atheist Killed After Posting Criticisms Of Religion On Social Media (graphic Pic / Shiite Members Celebrate Christmas With Christians In Kaduna (Photos) / Simple Question For Christians And Creationists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by 2rivers: 11:45am On Jun 06, 2015
The last election is perhaps the most divisive, close and intense election the country has ever witnessed. Sadly at the end, there can be only one winner.

And since the emergence of President Buhari, I have been struck by the kind of criticisms and attack his government is being exposed to. Dont get me wrong - as I am not saying there should not be criticism of his government, its only that like everything in life - maintaining a balance is critical.

I'm very much aware that even the Church of God got extremely polarized during the election so I am focusing on how I believe we Christians should approach this new administration.

By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted,
but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed - Prov. 11:11

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)

The bible instructs us to spend less time looking and secretly wishing the government to fail. Less time condemning, cursing and predicting . It is a disservice to ourselves, our children and their children for generations to come for YOU will have what YOU say. Rather, we are to pray for them, subduing them to do good on our knees, for we wrestle not against flesh and blood.

Cynicism and pessimism is not the way of Christ and should not be for us His followers.

Remember the story in the bible - 2 King Chapter 7:

1. Elisha replied, “Hear the word of the Lord. This is what the Lord says: About this time tomorrow, a seaha of the finest flour will sell for a shekelb and two seahsc of barley for a shekel at the gate of Samaria.”

2. The officer on whose arm the king was leaning said to the man of God, “Look, even if the Lord should open the floodgates of the heavens, could this happen?”

3. “You will see it with your own eyes,” answered Elisha, “but you will not eat any of it!”

The lesson here is to guard our heart and watch what we say. If the government fails, Nigerians suffer - and that includes the people we love and cherish. If we would rather exercise our heart and mouth in hate and unbelief, then we should be afraid of God contending against us when He moves.

It doesn't matter who you support, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God - Rom 13:1.

Should criticism not be allowed? Definitely NO. We should criticize when things are not been done properly. Buy it is not IF we criticize but HOW we criticize. My final advice is in James 1:19 & 20 - Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Re: Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by kay1one2(m): 11:59am On Jun 06, 2015
Its very easy to differentiate between constuctive; based on facts, and destructive criticism; void of it!
If anyone has facts to back up their claims, then I don't think he/she should be labelled a "religious bigot".
For now all I see are facts.
Re: Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by 2rivers: 12:32pm On Jun 06, 2015
Yes. Criticism should be based on facts. But we know how hard it is to come by a fact nowadays, hence the need to be slow to speak.

Also like someone said, FACTS are dynamic - they can change. Only TRUTH is enduring and stands forever.
For example, its a fact that I saw Mr. Y having dinner in a posh restaurant with Mrs. X. But that fact does not validate a claim that they are having an affair.

I also believe motive is important in criticism whether we have facts or not - at least for a Christian.
Re: Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by kay1one2(m): 1:40pm On Jun 06, 2015
If a "Christian" presents facts, I don't think the person should be classified as a bigot.
Insensitivity should be criticised be it from a muslim or christian.
You might end up being classified as the bigot here if you think every analysis of buhari's govt from a Christian is rife with bias.
Re: Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by Honesty007(m): 2:37pm On Jun 06, 2015
I donot hate PMB,the only thing i can say is that Christians betrayed their own and sold their birthright and that is y GMB emerged ruler today.It is very Glaring that
1)GEJ was betrayed
2)CAN ,PFN and other s where bribed.Instead of them correcting GEJ when he made a mistake by going to OSUN state to worship pagan gods also,it could have bee better,but they never told him the truth so God became Angry with Nigerian christian leaders!!
3)idon't think Christians are to become politicians,but it became worse when we began to vote for another than GEJ.we became intellectually looking puppets than spiritually discerning ones when we began to walk by sight and not by faith.
3)Electing PMB is a Permissive will and we christians would still suffer for behaving like Esau.
4)christians are fooled into Thinking we and muslims are serving the same God.that is alie,we are not serving the same God ooh.iam not trying to create religious intolerance,but it is the truth.our God is in heaven,while allah is beneath,underground.

6)Bokoharam has 2000 members in all southwestern states.its just that they would change their tactics and start attacking christians soon.Am not surprised if all these tanker explosions are from bokoharam.
7)There is a way out ,though in captivity ,if we cry unto God and are convicted of our transgressions and disobedience,God would heal our land
Re: Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by 2rivers: 8:03am On Jun 07, 2015
kay1one2:
If a "Christian" presents facts, I don't think the person should be classified as a bigot.
Insensitivity should be criticised be it from a muslim or christian.
You might end up being classified as the bigot here if you think every analysis of buhari's govt from a Christian is rife with bias.

I am not saying any criticism of Buhari is not justified especially when the fact is there and it is also true. The bible frowns at untrue accusation and bearing of false witness and the easiest way to fall for this is to become too emotional or sentimental in our attitude towards the government. So many times you read something online only to find out it is not true. That's what I meant.
If we have our true facts however, then we can criticize in a constructive manner, with goodwill towards the target of our criticism
Re: Christians And Buhari's Criticisms by 2rivers: 8:20am On Jun 07, 2015
@honesty007

God's thought are higher than ours and His ways are so too.
He loves all men and He never violate their wills even though He has the power to do so. So many times in our lives, we end up on the side of God's permissive will but Hr still shows mercy.
The important thing is that He can use anybody to achieve His purpose if we as His people humble ourselves, turn from our wicked ways and pray.
His eyes are always roaming the earth searching for those whose heart are perfect towards Him - whether or not they are Christians or Jews is not really critical.
Buhari is not the enemy but the force of evil bent on destroying this nation. These ones we are called and equipped to fight and if we fight well, we will subdue kings and nations.

(1) (Reply)

15 Years Muscle Cramp Gone By Only Praising God @ Salvation Ministries / Pastor Fails To Rise Up After Instructing Members To Bury Him Alive / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens (fri,aug 7th 2015)- HELP FROM SUBORDINATES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.