Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,912 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Is Mary The Mother Of God? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mary The Mother Of God? (18393 Views)

How A Nairalander Celebrated The Mother's Sunday / Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 5:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

"God's Church" led by the Spirit of God, that wrote and compiled Scripture did not do it in error.

But a "God's Church" being humans, and without help from the Holy Spirit, can teach Scipture in error.
Show me where you heard that Luke and Mark were led by the Holy Spirit.

Show me where you heard that the compilation was led by the Holy Spirit.

Show me where you heard that the Holy Spirit can leave God's Church to teach error to God's people thereby putting them at risk of going to hell.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 5:51pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:
Ntcanon.org
It is ignorance that makes you say what you're sayingsmiley

Ntcanon.org did not say the Bible was written by the Roman Catholic Church.

Stil research further.

italo:
So St. Luke could teach error? smiley

You are saying so, not me.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 6:19pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:
Jesus said Mary is alive.

italo:
John 11:26.

It is ignorance that makes you say what you're saying.

John 11:6 "And WHOSOEVER liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" (KJV)

Jesus did not say in this verse of Scripture that Mary is alive, sir.

It is not even talking about dying the physical death.

Mary, like Peter, Paul and so many others believed but they are all physically dead!

But WHOSOEVER lived on this earth, who believed on the Son but died physically will be resurrected and shall never die again.

This is what this verse of scripture is saying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 7:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:
Show me where you heard that Luke and Mark were led by the Holy Spirit.

Show me where you heard that the compilation was led by the Holy Spirit.

Show me where you heard that the Holy Spirit can leave God's Church to teach error to God's people thereby putting them at risk of going to hell.

Please tell me what led Luke and Mark other than the Holy Spirit.

Please tell me the spirit that led those who compiled the Bible.

Please know that any church that do not have the Spirit of God is a dead church and any teaching emanating from that church is falsehood.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by fr3do(m): 7:58pm On Jun 09, 2015
segbe88:

For those who believe Jesus is God.

God is same yesterday, today and forever. His ways never changes, he remains the same. Whatever and whoever he chooses, is His decision.

First God cannot be born my a sinful man. We inherit original sin from birth until our baptism. God did not inherit original sin from birth like us, for this purpose He made His Mother pure and and sinless so that He can dwell in Her.

Was Jesus was not always man, He became man, when he was born. But Jesus was always God, He had already existed before time began.

You cannot deny Mary being the Mother of God and accept Jesus as always being God. Unless you have a different meaning of mother.

This is an article of faith.

Mary was only spotless in the human level of spotlessness, how can she be godly spotless when she was given birth to by a man and a woman?
Jesus in flesh, was able to be tempted by satan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:18pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

If God's Church can teach error, then the scriptures can be erroneous, since it is God's Church that wrote and compiled it.

You continue to blaspheme!
It is not a church that wrote the Scriptures. Men who wrote the scriptures did so under the influence of the Holy Spirit. After the writing came the compilation. Remember that there were scribes in the olden days who put down events happened in papers. Compilation is gathering what have been written.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

Jesus said Mary is alive.

You limited motherly role to telling a child what to do.

Do you still insist on that fallacy?
Show me where it was stated in the Scriptures whether directly or indirectly that Jesus said so.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

Ntcanon.org

So St. Luke could teach error? smiley
Luke recorded events as they happened. There was no error in his write-up. The error comes when one misquotes or misinterpretes that which has been written. Only God is error-free, so are the things written in the Scriptures. These words written in the scriptures have been tried and found pure.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by hahn(m): 8:49pm On Jun 09, 2015
fr3do:

Mary was only spotless in the human level of spotlessness, how can she be godly spotless when she was given birth to by a man and a woman?
Jesus in flesh, was able to be tempted by satan.

Another reason not to believe that horse poo of a story. So basically Mary was straffed by the holy spirit which makes the holy spirit a sinner for committing adultery.

Quite confusing
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

John 11:26.

You still haven't said if you insist on the fallacy that motherly role is limited to instructing a child.
See how you have misquoted the Scriptures. Whkch Mary was Jesus talking to?

John 3:25-26
25. Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he MAY DIE, he shall live.
26. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?

1 Thes.4:13-14,16-17
13. But I do not want you to be ignorant brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep (died), lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.
14. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep (died) in Jesus.
16. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and the DEAD in Christ will rise first.
17. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And that we shall always be with the Lord.

Rev.21:4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying...'
Acts 7:60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, Lord do not charge them with this sin. And when he had said this, he fell asleep (died).
John 21:19 Then He spoke signifying by what death he (Peter) would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, Follow Me.

So long as Jesus has not yet come again, people will continue to die. But our hope as believers is that the dead in Christ will rise, never to die again, while those who are alive will be changed into immortality within a twinkle of an eye.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:47pm On Jun 09, 2015
hahn:

Another reason not to believe that horse poo of a story. So basically Mary was straffed by the holy spirit which makes the holy spirit a sinner for committing adultery.

Quite confusing
Where did you get this your story from?
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her, The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you, therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God
37. For with God, nothing will be impossible.
How Jesus was implanted in the womb of Mary remains a secret. The scripture did not record that the Holy Spirit had sex with Mary. Let us stop where the word of God stops.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 11:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
Ubenedictus:

this should have ended the debate.

It has ended it for me.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 11:16pm On Jun 09, 2015
MsFaith:
Good Catholics, Glory to Jesus!!!

Honour to Mary! o Jare

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 6:14am On Jun 10, 2015
HopeAlive14:

WHERE was it written that the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

HopeAlive14:

Ntcanon.org did not say the Bible was written by the Roman Catholic Church.
Stil research further.

The bold highlights the hypocrisy and dubious nature of protestants.

Just when I give you the answer, you change the question.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 6:26am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

See how you have misquoted the Scriptures. Whkch Mary was Jesus talking to?

John 3:25-26
25. Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he MAY DIE, he shall live.
26. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?

1 Thes.4:13-14,16-17
13. But I do not want you to be ignorant brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep (died), lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.
14. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep (died) in Jesus.
16. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and the DEAD in Christ will rise first.
17. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And that we shall always be with the Lord.

Rev.21:4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying...'
Acts 7:60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, Lord do not charge them with this sin. And when he had said this, he fell asleep (died).
John 21:19 Then He spoke signifying by what death he (Peter) would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, Follow Me.

So long as Jesus has not yet come again, people will continue to die. But our hope as believers is that the dead in Christ will rise, never to die again, while those who are alive will be changed into immortality within a twinkle of an eye.

Luke 20:38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive

Where Moses and Elijah alive at the transfiguration?
Was Abraham alive in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man?

Finally: Rev 6:10 They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?”

Who were they and where they alive?

grin
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 6:29am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Luke recorded events as they happened. There was no error in his write-up. The error comes when one misquotes or misinterpretes that which has been written. Only God is error-free, so are the things written in the Scriptures. These words written in the scriptures have been tried and found pure.

Who told you it was Luke that recorded it?

Who told you it was error-free?

Who tried it and found it pure?

Is it only God that is error-free or it is God and men that wrote scriptures?

Please tell me! grin
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 6:38am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

It is not a church that wrote the Scriptures. Men who wrote the scriptures did so under the influence of the Holy Spirit. After the writing came the compilation. Remember that there were scribes in the olden days who put down events happened in papers. Compilation is gathering what have been written.

Show me where the Bible says Luke was under the influence of the Holy Spirit?

A lot was written, both good, ordinary and bad.

Compilation involved picking the inspired and removing the uninspired from circulation in the Church and among the people of God.

Was God's Church infallible in doing that or where they error-prone?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 6:46am On Jun 10, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Please tell me what led Luke and Mark other than the Holy Spirit.

You said it was the Holy Spirit. And I said show me where the Bible says so.
HopeAlive14:

Please tell me the spirit that led those who compiled the Bible.

You said it was the Holy Spirit and I said show me where the Bible said so.

HopeAlive14:

Please know that any church that do not have the Spirit of God is a dead church and any teaching emanating from that church is falsehood.

You said God's Church can teach error. Are you now saying God's Church can be dead?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Franklinus: 7:35am On Jun 10, 2015
FOR Catholics in the house and any one who is interested I invite you to read and comment on my blogposts...tell me what you think...we could have meaningful conversations and learn more about our Christian and Catholic faith. I invite those still in whatever form of doubt to log in to the credoexperience..com and ask your questions..... thanks as you do so...here is my latest post http://credoexperience..com/2015/06/the-holy-mass-forepatterned.html?m=1

Also here is my reply to the Rev.Chris OKOTIE http://credoexperience..com/2013/12/chris-okotie-i-challenge-you-my-reply.html?m=1
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 8:00am On Jun 10, 2015
italo:

I appreciate your smileys! Shows the right attitude to the discussion! Take the child was what was said bro! Pls read Philipians 2:6 - 8
You misunderstood my reply. I was trying to amplify that statement hence the quote from Philippians showing that He came shorn of the Divine Attributes. Of course the child did not fall from the sky!
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 8:16am On Jun 10, 2015
As regards the Word, see Isaiah 34:16

16 Seek out of the book of the Lord and read: not one of these [details of prophecy] shall fail, none shall want and lack her mate [in fulfillment]. For the mouth [of the Lord] has commanded, and His Spirit has gathered them.

The speaking had to be done by holy vessels 2 Peter 1:21

21 For no prophecy ever originated because some man willed it [to do so—it never came by human impulse], but men spoke from God who were borne along (moved and impelled) by the Holy Spirit.

The compilation (gathering) was also by Divine influence hence the non-inspired (eg Apocrypha) were set aside. Hence the credit goes to the Personality mentioned. Just as God used the heathen king Cyrus to release His people and Caiaphas (in spite of his role in conspiring against Jesus) to prophesy of the vicarious death of Christ, we cannot assume that the teachings or interpretations of the compilers should be swallowed lock, stock and barrel without cross-checking it with the Word. But for people like Luther, Wycliffe(who ws martyred for his good cause!) etc, the bible will still be stashed up away available only to a few who will wrest its content at will.(like Tetzel the monk did)to deceive the masses .

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by btoks: 8:25am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Then, the early apostles said things as were directed by the Holy Spirit and told the believers to hold unto them so that they would not be deceived by false teachings or doctrines. Then, the words they spoke were not compiled together. But now, the words they spoke and the letters they wrote to believers have been compiled to make it easy for believers to read and understand. Any other teaching anywhere that is not based on the ones compiled in the bible as directed by the Holy Spirit need to be discarded.
This is all made up!!! Early christianity never taught this!! Please let us know when we were asked not to follow the teachings by word or letter.What council decided this,which year? You'll find other teachings laid out clearly in 1 council or another.
The written scriptures could never contain all of christian faith,this is why Jesus left a church(Paul even talks about this in 1Tim3:15 among other scriptures)

Please also read the context of the (All scripture is God breathed. .....)you can't pluck scripture from its Context.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:38am On Jun 10, 2015
italo:

Luke 20:38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive

Finally: Rev 6:10 They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?”

grin
Yes in God all believers are alive. Does it mean that they will not die physically? As long as Christ has not come, people will continue to die, physically. But when He appears, believers will never die again. This is b/c those that died before His coming will be raised to life, while those that are alive when He comes will be changed to immortality. Human beings are dust and to dust they will return.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 8:48am On Jun 10, 2015
Scholar8200:
You misunderstood my reply. I was trying to amplify that statement hence the quote from Philippians showing that He came shorn of the Divine Attributes. Of course the child did not fall from the sky!

No need to beat around the bush.

I said Jesus existed before Mary yet the Angel called Mary his "mother."

You asked me to show you biblical evidence and I showed you:

Matt 2:13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt.

You replied: "take the child is what was said bro."

Who is fooling who?

Is Mary the Mother of Jesus who is God? Yes or no?

Have you seen the verse where the Angel called Mary his mother? Yes or no?

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 8:57am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Yes in God all believers are alive. Does it mean that they will not die physically? As long as Christ has not come, people will continue to die, physically. But when He appears, believers will never die again. This is b/c those that died before His coming will be raised to life, while those that are alive when He comes will be changed to immortality. Human beings are dust and to dust they will return.

You didn't answer my questions. I didn't ask if all believers are alive or not. Here they are again. Please put aside this dubious protestant/pentecostal behaviour and be straightforward for once in your life.

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:01am On Jun 10, 2015
italo:

Who told you it was Luke that recorded it?

Who told you it was error-free?

Who tried it and found it pure?

Is it only God that is error-free or it is God and men that wrote scriptures?

Please tell me! grin
Luke 1:1-3
1. Inasmuchas many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us,
2. just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, delivered them to us.
3. It seems good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus,
4. that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.
Do you want me to believe that there are mistakes made in the Scriptures?
Ps.12:6 The words of the Lord are pure words. Like silver tried in the furnace of earth, purified seven times.
I will not argue with you on this again. If you believe that there are mistakes in the Scriptures, so be it to you. It also means that what we believe contains mistakes and our faith in Christ has error. For me; God's word is error-free. Any error seen is as a result of misinterpretation.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by btoks: 9:31am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Luke 1:1-3
1. Inasmuchas many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us,
2. just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, delivered them to us.
3. It seems good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus,
4. that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.
Do you want me to believe that there are mistakes made in the Scriptures?
Ps.12:6 The words of the Lord are pure words. Like silver tried in the furnace of earth, purified seven times.
I will not argue with you on this again. If you believe that there are mistakes in the Scriptures, so be it to you. It also means that what we believe contains mistakes and our faith in Christ has error. For me; God's word is error-free. Any error seen is as a result of misinterpretation.
This doesn't tell us that Luke wrote that book . How do we know he did?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:40am On Jun 10, 2015
italo:

Show me where the Bible says Luke was under the influence of the Holy Spirit?

A lot was written, both good, ordinary and bad.

Compilation involved picking the inspired and removing the uninspired from circulation in the Church and among the people of God.

Was God's Church infallible in doing that or where they error-prone?
Anything done under the guidance of the Holy Spirit is erro-free, but if done by the wisdom of man is error-prone.
If those that wrote them did so with human wisdon, then what we have contain errors and christians cannot boast of having the truth. Anything done of the flesh (human wisdom) is of the flesh and has errors, but anything done of the Spirit is of the Spirit and is error-free.

If you feel that what you have contains error, so be it to you. It also shows how shaky and uncertain you are in your belief in Christ.
1 Corinth 12:3 '.... And no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
If sb cannot say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit, how much more those that wrote and compiled the Scriptures we have today?

All that is required is that you quote from the bible you have while others quote from the ones they have, then we shall know whether the interpretation is the same while comparing them with other passages.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 9:51am On Jun 10, 2015
italo:

No need to beat around the bush.

I said Jesus existed before Mary yet the Angel called Mary his "mother."

You asked me to show you biblical evidence and I showed you:

Matt 2:13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt.

You replied: "take the child is what was said bro."

Who is fooling who?

Is Mary the Mother of Jesus who is God? Yes or no?

Have you seen the verse where the Angel called Mary his mother? Yes or no?
(Yes or no? are two in number, the latter is shorn of the issue under discourse which the former carries) I will rather answer thus: The Word (Eternal from the beginning) was made flesh (not before stripping Himself of the Divine attributes as Philippians 2 reveals)and by the Power of the Spirit Mary was used as the human vehicle to bring Him to this world. While He (in the nature of man, Divinity being stripped) was a child, Mary was His mother.

However, the fact that He took of Divinity (philippians 2) already makes the title mother of God, void ab initio. Else why would Jesus pray thus

John 17:5

And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

He was here praying for something to come (of course not before the cross) after His resurrection. The glory which He had to strip Himself of to become a man. Why pray? It's one of the ordinances (matthew 7:7) on which the world operates and He was not exempted.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:52am On Jun 10, 2015
Scholar8200:
As regards the Word, see Isaiah 34:16

16 Seek out of the book of the Lord and read: not one of these [details of prophecy] shall fail, none shall want and lack her mate [in fulfillment]. For the mouth [of the Lord] has commanded, and His Spirit has gathered them.

The speaking had to be done by holy vessels 2 Peter 1:21

21 For no prophecy ever originated because some man willed it [to do so—it never came by human impulse], but men spoke from God who were borne along (moved and impelled) by the Holy Spirit.

The compilation (gathering) was also by Divine influence hence the non-inspired (eg Apocrypha) were set aside. Hence the credit goes to the Personality mentioned. Just as God used the heathen king Cyrus to release His people and Caiaphas (in spite of his role in conspiring against Jesus) to prophesy of the vicarious death of Christ, we cannot assume that the teachings or interpretations of the compilers should be swallowed lock, stock and barrel without cross-checking it with the Word. But for people like Luther, Wycliffe(who ws martyred for his good cause!) etc, the bible will still be stashed up away available only to a few who will wrest its content at will.(like Tetzel the monk did)to deceive the masses .
One truth that stares us in the face is that the things written in the Scriptures are true. Our denial to this truth comes when what is explained clearly from it goes contrary to what we have always believed to be true. When such comes, the question now becomes 'who compiled the bible?' This is to shift one's focus from the God's word and begin to talk history. All that is needed is for anyone to quote from the bible he/she has while others compare such quotes with what is written in their own bibles.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:55am On Jun 10, 2015
btoks:
This is all made up!!! Early christianity never taught this!! Please let us know when we were asked not to follow the teachings by word or letter.What council decided this,which year? You'll find other teachings laid out clearly in 1 council or another.
The written scriptures could never contain all of christian faith,this is why Jesus left a church(Paul even talks about this in 1Tim3:15 among other scriptures)

Please also read the context of the (All scripture is God breathed. .....)you can't pluck scripture from its Context.
Noted. What you need to do is to quote from your bible, while others compare it from their own bibles, alongside other passages to get balanced understanding of a matter.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 9:57am On Jun 10, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

One truth that stares us in the face is that the things written in the Scriptures are true. Our denial to this truth comes when what is explained clearly from it goes contrary to what we have always believed to be true. When such comes, the question now becomes 'who compiled the bible?' This is to shift one's focus from the God's word and begin to talk history. All that is needed is for anyone to quote from the bible he/she has while others compare such quotes with what is written in their own bibles.
You are right. All Scripture is given by Inspiration of God hence should be our final authority in issues concerning Its contents.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What They Don't Tell You About Atheism / Did Joseph Prince Really Say This? / Samuel Uche Accuses Buhari Of Plans To Islamise Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.