Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,298 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) (21498 Views)

Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / I Was Sidelined In Disbursement Of Campaign Funds- Chris Anyanwu. / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by naptu2: 3:47pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:
I have banned myself from engaging in long and unending arguments on nairaland (for obvious reasons), but this is one of those times that I wish I could violate the ban.

"National Assembly sets 11 years as the age of consent in Nigeria".

What level of stupidity is this? What kind of ignorance is this?

I remember how I wasted my time and almost ruined my health the last time people ignorantly spread this kind of stories. At that time they claimed that the National Assembly wanted to legalise child marriage.

The criminal code specifies punishments for people who commit the offence called defilement. The punishments are usually graduated and the determining factor is the age of the minor. For example, a person who has sex with a child below the age of 13 would be sentenced to life imprisonment, a person who has sex with a child between the ages of 13-16 would be sentenced to 5 years in prison and someone who has sex with a child that is between the ages of 16-18 years would be sentenced to 2 years in prison.

Now, the silly person that created this sensation probably only looked at one subsection in the act and went ahead to write the very stupid headline that he wrote, and Nigerians, as usual, will not bother to find out if he is right or wrong, but will rather react emotionally.

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by naptu2: 3:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:
Imagine if someone picks out just one subsection from below and tries to use just that subsection alone to determine what the age of consent is in Nigeria and what the punishment for defilement is.

(Note: This is the old law).

218.         Any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without caning.                

Any person who attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years -is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years, with or without caning.                

A prosecution for either of the offences defined in this section shall be begun within two months after the offence is committed. 

A person cannot he convicted of either of the offences defined in this section upon the uncorroborated testimony of one witness.

219.         Any person who, being the owner or occupier of any premises, or having, or acting, or assisting in the management or control of any premises, induces or knowingly permits any girl of such age as is in this section mentioned to resort to or be in or upon such premises for the purpose of being unlawfully carnally known by any man, whether a particular man or not, is guilty of an offence.                 

If the girl is of or above thirteen and under sixteen years of age, he is guilty of a misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning.                

If the girl is under the age of thirteen years, he is guilty of felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without caning. 

220.       *It is a defence to a charge of any of the offences defined in the last preceding section to prove that the accused person believed, on reasonable grounds, that the girl was of or above the age of sixteen years. 

221.         Any person who- (1)            has or attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl being of or above thirteen years and under sixteen years of age; or 

(2)             knowing a woman or girl to be an id.iot or imb*ecile, has or attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of her;                  

is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning.                

*It is a defence to a charge of either of the offences firstly defined in this section to prove that the accused person believed, on reasonable grounds, that the girl was of or above the age of sixteen years.                 

A prosecution for any of the offences defined in this section shall be begun within two months

A person cannot be convicted of any of the offences defined in this section upon the uncorroborated testimony of one witness. 

222.         Any person who unlawfully and indecently deals with a girl under the age of sixteen years is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning.               

If the girl is under the age of thirteen years, he is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for three years, with or without caning.                

*It is a defence to a charge of the offence defined in this section to prove that the accused person believed, on reasonable grounds, that the girl was of or above the age of sixteen years.                

The term "deal with" includes doing any act which, if done without consent, would constitute an assault, as hereinafter defined.

222A.  (1)       Whoever, having the custody, charge or care of a girl under the age of sixteen years, causes or encourages the seduction, unlawful carnal knowledge or prostitution of, or the commission of an indecent assault upon, such a girl, shall be liable to imprisonment for two years.   

(2)         For the purposes of this section, a person shall be deemed to have caused or encouraged the seduction, unlawful carnal knowledge or prostitution of, or the commission of an indecent assault upon, a girl who has been seduced, unlawfully carnally known, or indecently assaulted, or who has become a prostitute, if he has knowingly allowed her to consort with, or to enter or continue in the employment of, any prostitute or person of known immoral character. 

222B.  (1)       Whoever, having the custody, charge or care of a child or young person who has attained the age of four years and is under the age of sixteen years, allows that child or young person to reside in or frequent a brothel, shall be liable. to a fine of one hundred naira or to imprisonment for six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.

(2)            If upon the trial of a person charged with an offence against section 219 the facts proved in evidence authorise a conviction for an offence against this section, the person charged may be convicted of the offence against this section although he was not charged with that offence.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Criminal%20Code%20Act-PartIII-IV.htm#Chapter 21

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by naptu2: 3:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:
This is what the act (Chris Anyanwu's bill) actually says.

(You can download the bill from the National Assembly's website. Click on the link below and click "Sexual Offences Bill 2014)

http://www.nassnig.org/nass/legislation2.php?search=sexual+offences&Submit=Search

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2487485_img20150606122115_jpegb2027ffe21fc722db8797b4a5e4c6cbd

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by prizelezz11(m): 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
I'm present
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
Good work. Nigerians don't like to read. Nairaland is the main culprit in spreading stupiid rumors like this one. SMH for an entire country.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by searay(m): 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
I still don't understand after reading

5 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 07, 2015
[size=18pt]Thank You![/size]

I was really really getting tired of some people's sensationalistic behaviour.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:
[size=18pt]Thank You![/size]

I was really really getting tired of some people's sensationalistic behaviour.

Lol I was waiting for you to do this thread
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Melasam(f): 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
Hmmmm......dis one na big rumor, I correct myself. tnx

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

S

Oremus....you are still in denial.

Ah well......grow up

8 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
Issorai

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by DickDastardly(m): 4:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
Pouring carbide on a sepulcre. Crap as usual!
kalindaminda:

Lol I was waiting for you to do this thread

Yes wherever there is misinformation, false propaganda....etc.....I shall be there to always save the day.! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by ThisMeansWAR: 4:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
It's Nigerians thing now... We just love criticizing and yapping nonsense... That's why the media houses are giving it to us the way we wanted it... Even the bloggers and nairaland are left out... Just bring a damn shame to the country and make us look like barbarians to the world... It drives traffic.

17 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by ajbabs(m): 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
okay. I need girlfriend in Ibadan ooo. lol
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by missKiffy(f): 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
Nigerians and lies
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by VickJames(m): 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
Okay
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by domack99(m): 4:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
That the problem with Nigerians, we never bother reading any full story or consult the source itself. I remember the case of Yerima also, people went gaga including top celebrity that Nigeria constitution has legalized this and that.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Trendy247: 4:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by UjSizzle(f): 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2015
This is why I love Naptu2 cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TheOtherview: 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2015
Naptu Sir, you know that I have never found any of your posts disagreeable up till this point.
But I beg to disagree on this one.

Let me explain why...

6.-(1) A person Who commits an act which causes penetration with a child aged Sexual activity with a child eleven years or less shall upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for life.

^^^No wiggle room - the language is clear and unambiguous

(2) A person who engages in sexual activity with a child between the age of twelve and fifteen years is liable upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for life.

^^^ By inserting the word "liable", wiggle room was provided here

Now I am no legal bird but I think changing shall to liable leaves clause 2 open to interpretation

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 4:10pm On Jun 07, 2015
Truly, being half-informed is worse than being totally ignorant.

To think I joined in bashing and tongue lashing the Senate.......I deserve 10,000 strokes of cane. shocked shocked I hope there are no provisions for false rumour mongers in the criminal code? I don't wanna go to jail embarassed

God, please forgive me embarassed for I have participated in spreading a false rumour.

To those desperate bloggers out there that feed us with half-information in order to gain traffic............na traffic jam go kill una! You bloggers will rot in the hottest part of hell after Sango must have struck y'all dead. angry

To those I misinformed, make una no vex.......na bandwagon cause am grinangry Next time, I'll search deeper, at least that is why I went to school.

Thanks naptu2........one crate of Orijin and three plates of Isi ewu for you. Correct guy! cool

13 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by DankemzI(m): 4:10pm On Jun 07, 2015
This is what Cynthia Morgan calls German Juice
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by oracle009(m): 4:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
Naptu2...wow! M impressed... I was so lazy to check d right stuff online nd I made alot of noise on d issue... Tnx for d enlightenment. Itz a cool ammendment

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by EasternPride: 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
Zoo people, they claim they know, they don't know anything, they don't like to dig in and research to find out more...they will swallow everything thrown at them e.g the white men religions, which we are either subservient either Canterbury/Vatican or Saudi.

Shame!

3 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by oracle009(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by obainojazz(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
So you are telling me yerima, yakubu and musa dem can't penetrate a child again.....this is really bad news for them
Good news to southern part though
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
TheOtherview:
Naptu Sir, you know that I have never found any of your posts disagreeable up till this point.
But I beg to disagree on this one.

Have you ACTUALLY read the bill?

Isn't it clear enough that anyone molesting a minor is subject to life imprisonment?

Liable means that the person WILL be sentenced if proven guilty!

If you want to talk about enforcement...that is another thing!

9 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
I guess this law is for poor men .......

What of buhari that had an unlawful carnal knowledge with Aisha at the age of 9yrs? Is he above the law ? Why is buhari walking around as a free man after committing FELONY?

What of Yerima?? Is he also untouchable like buhari

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by lordhugo(m): 4:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
PEOPLE LIKE ME ALREADY KNOW THIS!

But, Thanks to you naptu2 for doing what I personally find very draining to do!

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
One day I will just troll Nigeria with a false story and see how far it goes. Something hilariously absurd, like "saltwater cures ebola"... oh, wait...

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ex- Commissioner In Police Net For Defiling 15-yr Old In Calabar / APC NWC Summons Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara / Supreme Court Upholds Samuel Ortom's Election As Benue Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.