Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? (30829 Views)

The Unforgotten Yoruba Adekunle Fajuyi, Assassinated 50years Ago Today! / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by henryadex(m): 7:32am On Jun 08, 2015
nathdim:
The only thing we will gain if he was still our leader is the non existence of boko haram

He was doing the boko's job himself
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by silvertuke(m): 7:32am On Jun 08, 2015
For those of you saying he ate an Apple given to him by an Indian Lady, How did you know if the news was true? were you there? who poison the apple? what happen to the Indian after they find out that it was the Apple she gave Abacha that killed Him? was there no Security at Aso Rock as at then?
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 08, 2015
Macro-economic stability. Foreign reserves was steadily going up. He also conceptualized the GSM and feed gas optimization. But he was ruthless and also stole huge.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 08, 2015
Wicked man
The north has oppressed nigerians for far too long...I hope the one we have now wil prove us wrong...abacha promised to restore democrazy but went crazy with tyranny...buhari no mad follow ya brother ooo...

I doff my heart for ken sarowiwa....wish we had more of ken rather than the thieves and greedy bobo's in the form of militants

As for abacha death really did its good work on you...
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by omojeesu(m): 7:33am On Jun 08, 2015
A blight in the history of Nigeria! Though some consider him a hero, even till date. I guess one man's meat is another's poison!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by wahalababe(f): 7:34am On Jun 08, 2015
His death was a relieve to the whole country. Thank God he is gone....whr we for dey right now??

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:35am On Jun 08, 2015
A - After

B - Babangida

A - Another

C - Criminal

H - Has

A - Arrived

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by ollyruffy: 7:36am On Jun 08, 2015
Na wah ooo... So we are celebrating that ruthless, selfish and thief dictator?

He should die and die again wherever he is.

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by gabe: 7:36am On Jun 08, 2015
The success of his PTF program has not been replicated since d advent of democracy 16 years ago.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by tutulatata: 7:36am On Jun 08, 2015
BARBALIC and excessive looting.......... angry

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by KoredeBellosMum(f): 7:37am On Jun 08, 2015
WisdomCanada:
Koredebellosmum, this moniker is a drug, lol grin
angry
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 08, 2015
Well he was a dictator, nothing much to remember. Its my birthday NL pals. I thank God for the gift of life. So'mto Chineke!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Teespice(f): 7:38am On Jun 08, 2015
he is not missed.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by cbi24: 7:38am On Jun 08, 2015
He was a killer

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Samirana360(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2015
dictator just lik d one we hav now as president
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Dgunnerz(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2015
I didn't know this man..I think,I'll remember him for showing men how an apple can close ones' eyes forever!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 08, 2015
"My fellow Nigerians"

"Unscrupulous elements"

The worst nepa administration in Nigerian history

Enough recovered loot to feed four of my generations comfortably

Tyranny

But if he was alive today - would he have handed over to democratic rule, gotten power usurped from a coup or stayed in power till further notice like Mugabe?

Also, was Obasanjo jailed only once by Abacha or was jailed twice by Buhari then Abacha? If once each by both men then he really is the most corrupt president we've had in all history.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by bigtt76(f): 7:41am On Jun 08, 2015
Abacha was never Babangida's second in command rather Ebitu Ukiwe and much later Augustus Aikhomu undecided

Omoalhaja7:

Sani Abacha,  (born September 20, 1943, Kano, Nigeria—died June 8, 1998, Abuja), Nigerian military leader, who served as head of state (1993–98).

Abacha received his formal military training at Nigerian and British military training colleges. He rose through the ranks in the Nigerian military and by 1983 had achieved the rank of brigadier when he assisted Ibrahim Babangida in overthrowing Shehu Shagari, who had been elected to his second presidential term in 1983. Muhammad Buhari became Nigeria’s leader, but just two years later Babangida overthrew Buhari and installed himself as leader with Abacha second in command. Elections were held in 1993 and were won by Moshood Abiola, a candidate supposedly supported by Babangida, who, however, annulled the elections and set up a civilian interim government, which Abacha quickly overthrew.

Although Abacha promised a return to democracy, his actions were anything but democratic. He banned political activity of any kind, fired a large portion of the military, controlled the press, and assembled a personal security force of some 3,000 men. While he supported the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and its military arm, ECOWAS Monitoring Group (ECOMOG), in sending troops to restore democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone, he brutally suppressed dissent at home. Abiola and Olusegun Obasanjo, a former military leader of Nigeria (1976–79), were jailed for treason. Wole Soyinka, Nigeria’s Nobel laureate, was also charged with treason, although he had voluntarily left the country. Perhaps Abacha’s most brutal act was the imprisonment, trial, and subsequent execution for treason of writer Ken Saro-Wiwa and other Ogoni activists who were concerned with the environmental exploitation of their region by multinational petroleum companies.

Abacha’s sudden death in June 1998 moved along the process of returning the country to civilian rule. His military successor, Abdusalam Abubakar, oversaw the return to an elected civilian government in 1999. After Abacha’s death, it was rumoured that he and his family had enriched themselves by some $3 billion, most of it held in European banks. In 2002 a settlement, which returned most of the money to the government in exchange for dropping criminal prosecution, was reached between the Obasanjo government and the Abacha family.

So, my fellow NL'ders, what do you remember him for?
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by rocoh(m): 7:42am On Jun 08, 2015
Hmmmmmmmm.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Jalal(m): 7:42am On Jun 08, 2015
A national hero who tolerated no nonsense and stood up to the west. And put nigeria on the road to development.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by temitayomie: 7:42am On Jun 08, 2015
zinachidi:
nutin, i was just 3 then... grin
lol. I was 11. but all I could remember was the wild jubilation in my town then, my mum even left the pot of amala with turning stick inside and came back hours later and my father did not complain because of the overwhelming joy. lolz .

But I remember we use to have 24hrs electricity in Osun state that time.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by felifeli: 7:43am On Jun 08, 2015
Indian prostitutes
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Equiano: 7:43am On Jun 08, 2015
Abacha the only Nigerian president who refused to be a stooge of the so called world rulers. His no work no payment attitude to striking lecturers, 1994 full session closure of Unical, the president that build the most equiped hospitals in Nigeria, a great leader that dealt wt obj and co.d ideal ruler/president of a country. I still miss u my Fearless General!

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by ybalogs(m): 7:43am On Jun 08, 2015
"SA is a white country with a black President" Abacha on Mandela as the President of SA. He was asked to apologize but for where!? That cost us 1996 nations cup.

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by natedalo: 7:44am On Jun 08, 2015
freeborn76:
Despite all his perceived weaknesses, his administration was better than OBJ and GEJ put together. The economy was stable, efforts were made to improve infrastructure through the PTF and insurgents (similar to today's Boko Haram) in the form of NADECO were quashed...loathe him if you like, but with the benefit of hindsight, Nigeria has not fared any better since his demise...I don talk my own!
I knw say u neva get sense that time naim make u dey talk like this.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by ybalogs(m): 7:45am On Jun 08, 2015
Abacha also said Mandela is an old senile man that has spent his most active years in Prison so he's got nothing to offer.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by papin5: 7:45am On Jun 08, 2015
He gave us gwarimpa estate,the largest estate in africa. Housing wouldn't have been an issue in abuja.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by funshint(m): 7:47am On Jun 08, 2015
obayaya:

I'm here boss!!!

How far?

@Topic... Love or hate him.. General Sani Abacha understood the game of Thrones and he played the game like a real master.

He commanded no love but he had the loyalty of his men. He was unpredictable and feared. And that alone kept everyone in line.

He looted the country dry.. Yes.. But the Economy under him was better than the economy under IBB's and Buhari.

The history of Nigeria will never be complete without mentioning the Kano born General
U̶̲̥̅̊ seem not to know anything about Abacha..there's a diff btw power play and outright wickedness. This guy was in the league of pple like Idi-amin and Mobutu. Their wickedness has no rivalry. Bloodthirsty vampires. And talking about the economy; it was simply in shambles despite the huge revenue being made from oil at that time. This guy looted Nigeria blind even till now the total billions of dollars syphoned by this man to other countries is yet to be ascertained. His yearly address to workers is always "We must tighten our seat belt" while the minimum wage at that time was N500. Wonder how U̶̲̥̅̊ survive with that. The economy was simply on a standstill with infrastructural decay, armed robbery was the order of the day *thank God for groups like OPC,Egbesu boys, etc. May his soul never find rest wherever he is now!!!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Jalinco: 7:47am On Jun 08, 2015
I know him as a fucking terrorist, cannibal and founder of Boko Haram.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by chachanga: 7:48am On Jun 08, 2015
the guy stood up to the US imperialism
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by orubebe1(m): 7:48am On Jun 08, 2015
I am 24yrs old. That means when died, I was 7, then I used to buy 3naira rice, 2naira beans nd I wuld be satisfied... Nd I culd remember vividly wen his death was announced, a Man knelt down nd started giving thanks to GOd...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary / Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food / Idris Wada, Serving Governor, 7 Others In Trouble Over ₦6.5 Billion Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.