Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,417 members, 7,836,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? (30884 Views)

The Unforgotten Yoruba Adekunle Fajuyi, Assassinated 50years Ago Today! / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Raymondgabriel(m): 7:51am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember him for securing our boarders, especially Bakasi Pennisula. Even when france came to help cameroon, he threaten to ban any import from france including the then famous Peugeot and france fleed! He doesnt give a damn!!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by CharliParker: 7:52am On Jun 08, 2015
The day this man Abacha died there was a very big jubilation in place.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by timoney45(m): 7:53am On Jun 08, 2015
On the 1st day of October, 1996 he created Bayelsa State. My darling State
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by lexking10(m): 7:54am On Jun 08, 2015
pamcode:
Well from what i have heard about him he is nothing but a blood-thirsty mzn and nigeria most feared dictator tho i hear he is still part of naija best leader ironic isnt it?.
if he was still the pres. naija would ve been transformed like south africa
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Keyana(f): 7:54am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember people were jubilating when he died.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by madridguy(m): 7:55am On Jun 08, 2015
Continue to rest in peace my general.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 08, 2015
Mr. Sani Abacha was indeed brutal. If he's still alive, he would have been called a "hero" maybe by some people who benefited a lot through his government.

As a young child then, I told my parents that Nigeria is ruled by brutal forces.

But one thing I would remember Abacha for is exchange rate. It was so stable that I gave my friend some money to buy me track-suit in the UK, he ended up not buying it, rather asked me to chill.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember his son Sadiq Abacha wouldn't go to NMS,Zaria because the RSM then was such a disciplinarian that he bit the ears of disobedient students. When d late Abacha found out,he practically dismissed the man from the army. Yes! Abacha was that strict and was also a loving father(weird but true)
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by sixtus3606(m): 7:58am On Jun 08, 2015
Chiscomax:
i remember him as a man who ate an apple given to him by an indian prostitute and died. #Careless Aristotle!.

But sha, apple don dey do great things since time immemorial;
1)Apple made Adam realize he was adamatical. who gave him the apple? (A lady,Eve)
2)Isaac Newton postulated the law of motion after apple fell on his head. who plantes the apple tree? i guess a lady also
3)the mighty man of terror fell in the year 1998, Sani Abacha. What killed him? Apple from an indian B!TCH.

shout out to all Barcelona fans in the house!

Na how barcelona come take concern this matter now?! :/
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Rexyl(m): 7:59am On Jun 08, 2015
Abacha's loots are one of the highest in the history of African or world leaders. FG is yet to complete collection of the ones which whereabouts are known. No wonder one of his family members believes no matter the loots discovered and collected back from different deposits all over the world, the family can not be as poor as Dangote.

He is remembered for good and bad, fair and unfair behaviors. He increased the number of States for Kano to 44 while the bigger city - Ibadan was sidelined. Anyway before he is risen to face the judgment may his soul rest in peace! That's the general wish for the dead.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by sonofspada(m): 8:00am On Jun 08, 2015
Sunshades undecided
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 08, 2015
henryadex:
During his tenor dollar was peged to N89 to $1

Actually it was between 80 and 85.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Rashdimuh(m): 8:06am On Jun 08, 2015
malbro:
ABACHA IS NOT CORRUPT... grin grin cheesy
Abacha is not corrupt, what of the billion pounds he stole. Though during his time Nigeria's economy was okay and he didnt increase petrol just that he is a dictator.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Segman22(m): 8:09am On Jun 08, 2015
For making sure I finished the last two years of my university without strikes. The guy dealt with ASUU eh..lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Calbarian(m): 8:09am On Jun 08, 2015
sixtus3606:

Na how barcelona come take concern this matter now?! :/

How e no take concern FC Barçelona ehn? Abeg allow Chiscomax and all the other Barça fans and supporters out there. If you no get anything about Abacha, go and start your own Barça-hate thread.

What I remember about Abacha? "OPERATION SWEEP"!

FORZA BARÇA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by nunzk: 8:09am On Jun 08, 2015
He is the president that most people know how he died but really know nothing at aLl. RIP....badoo!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by chigoizie7(m): 8:11am On Jun 08, 2015
All I could remember was posters of a very beautiful young lady sitting on Abacha's laps and feeding him one red apple like that,

in other posters, it was when he finally died and on his way to hell,

also in other posters, it was how money was littered everywhere in his house to the extent of using money as foot mat.

Those days, I was in primary school and when going to school, u will see crowd gathered to a spot to comment on such posters. those days shaaa.

I never really knew Abacha until he died.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by ife01(m): 8:16am On Jun 08, 2015
Abacha Stove
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 08, 2015
Chiscomax:
i remember him as a man who ate an apple given to him by an indian prostitute and died. #Careless Aristotle!.

1)Apple made Adam realize he was adamatical. who gave him the apple? (A lady,Eve)
2)Isaac Newton postulated the law of motion after apple fell on his head. who plantes the apple tree? i guess a lady also
3)the mighty man of terror fell in the year 1998, Sani Abacha. What killed him? Apple from an indian B!TCH.

And who told you that the forbidden fruit was an apple??
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Calbarian(m): 8:16am On Jun 08, 2015
Let's forget abacha and celebrate with all barca fans abeggg grin grin

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by obayaya(m): 8:18am On Jun 08, 2015
funshint:

U̶̲̥̅̊ seem not to know anything about Abacha..there's a diff btw power play and outright wickedness. This guy was in the league of pple like Idi-amin and Mobutu. Their wickedness has no rivalry. Bloodthirsty vampires. And talking about the economy; it was simply in shambles despite the huge revenue being made from oil at that time. This guy looted Nigeria blind even till now the total billions of dollars syphoned by this man to other countries is yet to be ascertained. His yearly address to workers is always "We must tighten our seat belt" while the minimum wage at that time was N500. Wonder how U̶̲̥̅̊ survive with that. The economy was simply on a standstill with infrastructural decay, armed robbery was the order of the day *thank God for groups like OPC,Egbesu boys, etc. May his soul never find rest wherever he is now!!!

You are being sentimental... Coming into power in a country where soldiers aspire to lead through coup, you have to keep a tight leash on things or risk being overthrown or killed.

As for Economy..

The Abacha administration became the first to record unprecedented economic achievements:[7] he oversaw an increase in the country's foreign exchange reserves from $494 million in 1993 to $9.6 billion by the middle of 1997, reduced the external debt of Nigeria from $36 billion in 1993 to $27 billion by 1997, brought all the controversial privatization programs of the Babangida administration to halt, reduced an inflation rate of 54% inherited from Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida to 8.5% between 1993 and 1998, all while the nation's primary commodity, oil was at an average of $15 per barrel.[7] His administration is also credited with creating the most comprehensive and realistic blueprint for Nigeria's development through the Vision 2010 committee chaired by his predecessor Ernest Shonekan

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sani_Abacha

Compare it with IBB and Buhari...

I think you are letting Abacha's corruption and brutality override his many other achievements

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Ricswagger: 8:24am On Jun 08, 2015
from a sports/football point of view is has been the best,under his govt,9ja won nations cup,qualified for her first ever world cup in u.s.a 94 and qualified again in 98,won gold in football at the olympics...
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Skmoda360(m): 8:26am On Jun 08, 2015
kerosene was very cheap during his time.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Dagoma: 8:27am On Jun 08, 2015
History will remember him as someone who was trust to the forefront of national leadership, during the time of national crises, grabbled with the chllenges and left the scene a better place.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by mimicious(f): 8:28am On Jun 08, 2015
Chiscomax:

Up barca # barca for live
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by cooljoe(m): 8:30am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember and hold him in deference for creating my state of origin - Bayelsa State
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by 9jatatafo(m): 8:36am On Jun 08, 2015
Always putting on dark glass and never see his eyes. Steady highness.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 08, 2015
Dark aviator shades. ..original I don't give a fu..ck master.real cool and calculated.harder than buhari and obj..put together..he reminds me of Putin
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember fr him for a lot of things ....
Despite his brutality he had his good side too ...contributions he made to Nigeria which still hold water till date .
his contributions to education by setting up TETFUND ever since no government has paid profound attention to education reasons why we have strikes here and there and till date TETFUND I one of the major financier of tertiary institutions
His contributions to economy creating an alternative means to generate revenue other than oyel....VAT (Value added tax)
The selfish Europeans were exploitative and wouldn't allow us develop he bullshit them something Gaddafi did to get lybia the required infrastructure... he was dogged and mean .u dare not still . If u observe clearly no government has been as innovative as he was during his time .
He was the kind of leader we needed to take us to the promise land .but no the west don't us to develop just ..
I will recommend some peeps check out "The theory of imperialism and dependency and The confession of an economic hitman " u all will know that we ain't developing because the west don't us too

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Omotayor123(f): 8:40am On Jun 08, 2015
Abacha bacha bacha!!!!!!

.Iranu! Abacha.....

I remembered he was a cursed Head of state.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Calbarian(m): 8:43am On Jun 08, 2015
ehie:
Dark aviator shades. ..original I don't give a fu..ck master.real cool and calculated.harder than by hard and obj..put together..he reminds me like Putin

I keep telling you to not smoke anything else besides cigarettes but you just won't listen. See yasef now undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Orji Uzor-Kalu Patronizes Akara Sellers (Photos) / It's A Shame That 27 Out Of 36 States Can't Pay Salaries- Buhari / Ekwueme: What The Law Says About His Treatment Abroad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.