Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? (3094 Views)

Caption This Photo Of A Lastma & Police In Serious Fight / One Civil Servant Collects 20 Salaries - Finance Minister / Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by Jakumo(m): 9:40am On Feb 20, 2009
Governor Fashola, if there is any justice in this world, you will ultimately rise to become the president of Nigeria.

To further enhance your amazing track-record of VISIBLE and dramatic improvement in Lagos State, Your Excellency, PLEASE consider disbanding that private army of car-jackers and extortionists called LASTMA, that has terrorized motorists in Lagos for so long now,  removing or concealing road signs in order to ambush and hijack vehicles of " traffic violators" who turn into unsigned one-way streets, and then pilfering parts from the impounded vehicles of those who fail to pay demanded bribes quickly.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by gbolah1(m): 11:44am On Feb 20, 2009
For me I still appreciate the work of LASTMA in Lagos state, if they are not in Lagos today, Lagos road will not have been motorable, everybody always in hurry to reach where ever he or she is going, including me, but with the fear of LASTMA, people get it to there head that you can not obstruct the traffic rule and go away with it easily,

If police arrest you for any traffic offence, immediately you gave them N100 they will leave you, especially if you now give them N500 you will become GOD, they will be the one to cleared the road for you, but LASTMA will never do that even if they are going to collect bribe from you they will first delay you, and if you don’t want them to embrace you then obey the traffic law. (I sea them as classic bribe collector)

My point is that, am not saying the way they are rubbing innocent citizen is right but I still appreciate there present in Lagos state, the center of excellence
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by tboss2(m): 12:48pm On Feb 20, 2009
Men, police (in Lagos) is better than LASTMA; police most often ask for weekend pocket money in polite manner, but L-A-S-T-M-A! Haaaaaaaaaaaa, they can deceive, lure, and manipulate one into taking illegal lane. Many of them were recruited out of Lagos metropolis Tugs A.K.A Area Boys. The minimum they collect (unofficial) is N3,500. Also, they sometimes steal phones, laptops, cash etc. They have practically robbed me at 3rd mainland when I stopped to check a sound under my car (it is not as if the car broke down). WARNING! DO NOT ALLOW ANY LASTMA OFFICIAL INTO YOUR CAR. EVEN IF THEY WANT TO TOW THE CAR WIND UP AND LET THEM TOW IT.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by otukpo(f): 1:38pm On Feb 20, 2009
Jakumo:

Governor Fashola, if there is any justice in this world, you will ultimately rise to become the president of Nigeria.

To further enhance your amazing track-record of VISIBLE and dramatic improvement in Lagos State, Your Excellency, PLEASE consider disbanding that private army of car-jackers and extortionists called LASTMA, that has terrorized motorists in Lagos for so long now, removing or concealing road signs in order to ambush and hijack vehicles of " traffic violators" who turn into unsigned one-way streets, and then pilfering parts from the impounded vehicles of those who fail to pay demanded bribes quickly.

Ohhh. LASTMA officials are very good at this. Those roads/streets that were converted to one-way, there are no visible road signs to show they are one-way. And what the LASTMA officials do is to go somewhere hidden so that once they see u just entering they street, they just rush out and pounce on u. If u decide to argue it with them, they will take u to one corner where they have hidden the sign to prove u wrong. It is just a terrible situation.

U can only get few ones that are really doing the job of traffic control. Maybe i out of 50. Most of them will even go to the extent of endangering ur life just to make sure they catch u. They cause road accidents oo , the way they pursue some vehicles. i dont need to keep writing some of the terrible things i have seen them do. Most of them lack conscience, just b/c of money. They can be so wicked eh.

i have observed 2 good LASTMA officials. One at Cele b/stop, along Apapa-Oshodi Express way. He's been there for over 2 years. He just controls traffic and helps out even when a vehicle breaks down just to make sure there is no traffic obstruction.

Another one at Allen R/abt. He stays there in the afternoon/evening at that BankPHB side, controlling and easing traffic especially vehicles coming from alausa end. He is dark and stout. He deserves an award 4m Fashola.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by amaikama(m): 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2009
@ nuzo!!! come, no be you say you slug it our with police wey dem want arrest you angry why now you no fit slug it out with ordinary LASTMA officials wey no even get kondo as a weapon? chi!!!! nuzo!!! your lie tooo mushhh ooooo!!!!!! angry
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by amaikama(m): 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2009
LASTMA & POLICE are half cast.

like half brothers to be more precise grin
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by damola1: 2:22pm On Feb 20, 2009
Too much power in lastma hands, just too much, KAI, same,
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 20, 2009
amaikama:

@ nuzo!!! come, no be you say you slug it our with police wey dem want arrest you angry why now you no fit slug it out with ordinary LASTMA officials wey no even get kondo as a weapon? chi!!!! nuzo!!! your lie tooo mushhh ooooo!!!!!! angry

I thought they were robbers cos they didnt tell me my crime. And the whole thing happened within 5 minutes.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by labiola20(m): 3:30pm On Feb 20, 2009
LATMAS wosre oh, i had a bitter experience with them once, but that day i show them oh, i was receiving call inside traffic, and the useless lastma official saw me, and he told me to park, i just asked him, are you a road safety officer? that you will be telling me to park, i started the argument before i could say jack robinson, the other guy deflated my tyre, so i left my car on the road, this now caused a terrible hold up, and the next thing i did was to pretend as if i wa am calling somebody in alausa, and i was accusing him(lastmas officer) of demanding money from. Later he boss came and apologised but not until they inflated my tyre. i promise one of them, that if he dare stand of my way next time i will kill him. Atimes is good to know your right.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by amaikama(m): 3:35pm On Feb 20, 2009
Nuzo!!! that what we see every day in the hands of the police and any other govt authorities.

Na God dey help and protect us ooohhhh!!

So, whenever u come down and you encounter them, just behave. no give them any reason to rough handle you at all.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 20, 2009
amaikama:

Nuzo!!! that what we see every day in the hands of the police and any other govt authorities.

Na God dey help and protect us ooohhhh!!

So, whenever u come down and you encounter them, just behave. no give them any reason to rough handle you at all.

Thanks but no thanks for your advice.
I will never degenerate to that even if I will have to pay the ultimate sacrifice.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by amaikama(m): 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2009
Okay ooohhh nuzo!!! carry go but take the altimate sacrifice small, small. allo of people take the same altimate sacrifice too, some regret some play wise.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by ayo2pec(m): 4:15pm On Feb 20, 2009
IF YOU AGREE THAT POLICEMEN AND LASTMA ARE LEADERS IN THIER OWN RIGHT, THEN YOU GUYS WILL AGREE WITH ME THAT WE(NIGERAINS GOT THE OFFICERS OR LEADERS WE DESERVE) WHAT THEY (LASTMA AND POLICE DO ON THE FIELD ARE SAMPLE OF WHAT MAJORITY OF HIGHLY PLACED CITENZEN DOES IN THEIR BOARD ROOM/OFFICES AND IN SECRET PLACE WHERE NONE EXCEPT THE SUPREME GOD CAN SEEK THEM

MY CONCLUSION THEN IS THAT WE NEED A SHIFT IN CHARACTER THE POLICE AND LASTMA ARE PART OF US. WE PROBABLY HAVE BROTHER AND SISTER AMONG THEM. SOMEONE ONCE SAID IF YOU MOVE AMERIACNS TO NIGERIA AND NIGERIA TO AMERICA IN A SHORT PERIOD AMERICA WILL CHANGE SYSTEMATICALLY TO NIGERIA AND NIGERIA TO AMERICA DO YOU BELIEVE THIS?

WISHING US A DEVELOPED AND CORRUPT FREE NATION.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by oge4real(f): 8:19pm On Feb 20, 2009
This is like choosing between the devil and deep blue sea.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by clerc(m): 10:32pm On Feb 20, 2009
i think it really depends on what u are carrying, riding and what you look like but i thnk the policemen collects more bribes cos this Lastma will still the bribe the police to stay in :BUSINESS"
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by hackney(m): 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2009
Nothing works in that dump called nigeria
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by TheOne2(m): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2009
@ hackne

how come you sound so stupid?
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by Ejike3: 5:38pm On Feb 21, 2009
The One:

@ hackne

how come you sound so stupid?

so simple. Enemy of the State angry
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by khaytoon: 4:41am On Feb 23, 2009
Both, duh! shocked
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by yinkus1(f): 11:45am On Feb 25, 2009
lastma oo police oo which one is ok among of this people u are talking about, lastma they are thief to the call, the work they suppose to do they are not doing it anymore instead of that they will be looking for someone to enter their net which is bad i pray that the lord we renovate them like a house.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by yinkus1(f): 11:49am On Feb 25, 2009
lastma oo police oo which one is ok among of this people u are talking about, lastma they are thief to the call, the work they suppose to do they are not doing it anymore instead of that they will be looking for someone to enter their net which is bad i pray that the lord we renovate them like a house.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by Olizz: 11:55am On Feb 28, 2009
i think police collects more bribe because its a daily offering compared to latsma.Latsma will only demand for money if you disobey thier rules and regulations,which is very avoidable.The police demands for money irrespectve of the fact that you are right. OLIZZ
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by MUZBO(m): 11:34am On Mar 04, 2009
Na Lastma dey collect heaviest bribe but na police they collect bribe most frequently, I mean it goes without saying, they fit collect bribe from lastma guy sef.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by femosky07(m): 4:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
As far as i'm concerned, power is the only important thing in this country, u don ever hear say LASTMA catch Army/Navy/Airforce Officer or even their useless cousins (Police)?, e no possible

My simple advice is: If you dont want common criminals like LASTMA/Police to keep harrasing you in this country, just go and do Short Service Commision in the Military for just 3 years, then we'll know who has more power. If LASTMA tries stopping you, you have the POWER to put the LASTMA Official in your car booth and drive them to the nearest Barracks, wink
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by yinkafenwa(m): 9:10pm On Mar 09, 2009
[color=#990000][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]IT'S A SERIOUS ISSUE AND ITS RATHER UNFORTUNATE THAT THESE INSTITUTIONS ARE SET UP WITHOUT GUIDELINES OF OPERATION; LASTMA IS NO DIFFERENT FROM POLICE TO ME BECAUSE THEY BOTH OPERATE ILLEGALLY EXTORTING POOR CITIZENS WITH THE AUTHORITY VESTED ON THEM; AND THERE'S NO CHECK AND BALANCE JUST AS WE DON'T HAVE IT VISIBLE IN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS; HARDLY WILL YOU HAVE ANY GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL OF ANY CADRE OR INSTITUTION OR SERVICE DISCHARGE DUTIES WITHOUT OVERSTEPPING BOUNDARIES; ALL BECAUSE THINGS DON'T WORK AND THE CITIZENS ARE VICTIMS OF EVERY BAD DECISION OF GOVERNMENT AT ALL LEVELS; IT RATHER UNFORTUNATE,
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by classictim(m): 7:54am On Mar 10, 2009
Well talking about corruption the Nigeria Police is an emblem of it, no doubt both the LASTMAN and every other government agencies on the road are out to exploit from helpless citizens. I hate the attrocities the Nigerian Police are commiting day by day, God forgive me but i hate those man on black with passion more than any other, the Nigerian police is a metaphor for corruption no DISPUTE.
Re: Lastma & Police; Who Collects The Heaviest Bribe? by MoVinTrAin: 6:14pm On Mar 12, 2009
LASTMA are freaging BASTARDS and they are far worse than police just like someone said they hide themselfs in converted road to one way and nab innocent vehicles passing unknowingly and arrest you without warning telling you if you get to the office you will pay 250k including a physchatric test so its better you pay then 25k.then you have to price it down to like 3k-5k before the s**kers will let yah go.DAMN they are worse than the cops

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dhl Boss, Komolafe Beaten By Osun Lga Chairman Is Dead / List Of Africa's Sit-tight Leaders- Who Is The Next Person We Are Removing! / Awolowo's Doctrines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.