Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,255 members, 7,811,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday (24574 Views)

Dino Melaye's Ex Classmates Visit Him At The National Assembly (Photos) / Three Things I Did While In Prison — Obasanjo / National Assembly Leadership: ‘Your Threats Are Empty’, PDP Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Williamso(m): 1:54pm On Jun 10, 2015
Now that the elections to the Senate and House of Representatives leadership have come and gone, here are some things we can say have been learnt:

1. Buhari may be a good leader, but he is a terrible politician: This goes without saying; playing completely neutral in who becomes the senate president when your party is in the majority? In a country like Nigeria? That is gross political ignorance. Two key tactics that make a great politician are the ability to lobby, and the ability to intervene. How is it possible that while everyone was lobbying for a preferred candidate, he chose not to intervene? That smacks of political naivety. One need not go too far to see how previous presidents were overtly lobbying for their preferred candidates for legislative leadership positions. We can only hope that his nonindulgence will not come back to haunt his presidency. (Although something tells me he had a hand in the emergence of the SP and the Speaker. Take that with a tablespoon of salt though)

2. Everyone is a winner (Except Tinubu): Yes there are winners everywhere (Except Ndume, Gbajabiamila and Monguno of course). The APC unwittingly won an internal battle against the outrageously influential Tinubu, and can boast of being a party without (conspicuous) godfatherism.
PDP are even bigger winners than APC; this is the first time a member of a minority party will be made a principal officer in the senate (excluding minority and deputy minority leaders) in Ekweremadu. This also shows that PDP's 16 years in power taught them a lot about hardcore politics. All they had to do was cash in on the crisis in APC, which they so deliciously did, and now they can boast of being influential in the scheme of things (at least it seems so on the surface). (Make no mistake, had APC supported Saraki, PDP would so easily have backed Lawan, and the rest would have been history).
But the biggest winner in all these has to be Senator Bukola Saraki. Knowing how to lobby the right people for his personal ambition (I'm not saying it's a good thing). He has just shown how smart a politician he can be, and his overzealous ambition might actually take him places - I won't be shocked to see him running for the number 1 office come 2023, or even 2019 (Watch this space).

3. Politicians will always be politicians, and Dino Melaye is no exception: One would have expected that after all that the PDP did to this man to terminate his political career, and the respite and platform the APC gave to him, he would at least be somewhat loyal to his party. Well, that's something honest people do, and politicians are not honest. So after vilifying the PDP at any given opportunity, the first thing he did as a senator was to defy the APC (that rebounded his political career), and align with the same PDP (you would think he loves to hate) just to get in his candidate as the senate president. That speaks volumes of a man's character. I tend to find solace in this quote though "Leave politics for politicians and governance for technocrats" - PMB 2015, because politicians will always be cunning, deceitful, dishonest, unscrupulous, insincere, crafty, mendacious and Machiavellian; but that is what makes them politicians.

93 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by mprexx: 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2015
Nice writeup. However I believe APC lost out completely on this one...

CC: lalasticlala

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by bettercreature(m): 2:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
Make no mistake there was no election

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Williamso(m): 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2015
mprexx:
Nice writeup. However I believe APC lost out completely on this one...

CC: lalasticlala
Actually they didn't. You should see APC beyond the Tinubu vision.

bettercreature:
Make no mistake there was no election
Errm, there wasn't any contestant you know. Why weren't the APC senators meeting somewhere in the House of Assembly complex?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by CR77(f): 3:22pm On Jun 10, 2015
I am still waiting to see the Change APC promise nigeria

#NoChange

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by softnipples(f): 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
Buhari's regime would have been one chance if not for what happened yesterday grin grin

I so much love the begining of this regime grin

PDP is not dead and buried afterall

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by 20bc(m): 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
The fourth thing I Lent was that Titus sardine still has only 3 fishes.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Gepheral: 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Anyi3(m): 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
Please give me some time still especially police CR77

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by chamboy(m): 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
Although something tells me he had a hand in the emergence of the SP and the Speaker. Take that with a tablespoon of salt though)
So true

2 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Hysmady(m): 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
I learnt,they are all past thieves...Dats'all cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Moneyyy: 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2015

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Abugab(m): 3:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
In Bode George's words: Tinubu is a local champion
.......with legs crossed this time around

9 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by BeeBeeOoh(m): 3:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
Me don learn sey, "Even Though Your Eyes Big E No Mean Sey You Dey See..

12 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by CR77(f): 3:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
Receive common sense now
boman2014:
G
BeeBeeOoh:
Ok
softnipples:
R
tongue
Anyi3:
Typing...
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
A general is not necessarily a politician, so was GEJ. He was not a politician.

Dino Melaye is a thug, not a politician.

He only won his election because his people voted APC, not him.

15 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by boman2014: 3:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
WHEN WILL ALL THESE LAMENTATIONS STOP? AM OFF TO TOGO.... BYEEEEE

1 Like

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by RichDad1(m): 3:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
It's time they get down to work. Enough of this brouhaha. angry
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by millionboi(m): 3:25pm On Jun 10, 2015
TINUbu is a clown

9 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by yorke1: 3:25pm On Jun 10, 2015
okay
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by yorke1: 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
millionboi:
K

K for ?

1 Like

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by RichDad1(m): 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
softnipples:
R
Fine girl booking space shocked shocked Bet why? cry

1 Like

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
But the biggest winner in all these has to be Senator Bukola Saraki. Knowing how to lobby the right people for his personal ambition (I'm not saying it's a good thing). He has just shown how smart a politician he can be, and his overzealous ambition might actually take him places - I won't be shocked to see him running for the number 1 office come 2023, or even 2019 (Watch this space)
A dream that will never come to pass! Take it or leave it, Hausa's will never go to the extent of supporting bukola for d no 1 seat. They have not and will never see Ilorin as real Huasas and by extension Muslims, its high time people got in touch with reality. If wishes could be evaluated, then this is definitely a white elephant one!

6 Likes

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by akins56(m): 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
Saraki might be the biggest loser, though he his the biggest winner currently, but we all know his biggest ambition is to be the nations number 1, he might have dent this ambition with his desperate moves in past few days, he blocked lawan(a core northerner) chance of becoming the SP, do you think the north would support him if he decide to contest in the future ?
As if that was not enough, he betrayed Ali ndume at the last minute just to further his own ambition, the north would still hold him for that.
Tinubu of the SW would have his own pound of flesh when he comes calling for support from the SW.
He has the abubakar audu, the germade's, the akume's to contend with in the north central.
As it is, the north sees him as a yoruba man, you do not expect them to give him their slot for presidency when the time comes. I think saraki might have won now, but he just make his chance of becoming Nigeria's president in the future more difficult!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by yorke1: 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
boman2014:
G

G for ?
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Franzeez(m): 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
Change came blowing ni, But on a serious note, In Politics if you want something, go for it with all your skill and stop fuming.

1 Like

akins56:
H

H for ?
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by CR77(f): 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
G for girls
yorke1:

G for ?
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by chamboy(m): 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
RichDad1:

Fine girl booking space shocked shocked Bet why? cry
u bliv that fake graphical pics

1 Like

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by RichDad1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
akins56:
H
yorke1:
okay
Moneyyy:
:
chamboy:
Although something tells me he had a hand in the emergence of the SP and the Speaker. Take that with a tablespoon of salt though)
So true
Gepheral:
Ok
BeeBeeOoh:
Ok
See una life?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NDLEA Allows Graduate To Drown During Raid / Bello Is A Useful Idiot, Slave - FFK Attacks Governor Over Loyalty To Buhari / Ekiti Governorship Election: APC Wins First Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.