Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,977 members, 7,828,457 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over (1045 Views)

"When It Comes To Women, Nigerian Men Are The Kings Of Africa" - South African / Why Do Nigerian Men Come Back Home To Marry? / Why Short Men Have Fewer Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by tommysparks: 4:01pm On Jun 10, 2015
It has come to my notice that we Africans and Nigerians in particular have fallen into a trap of marrying a single woman 3times over, while one marriage and ceremony is enough. Our traditional cultural marriage has been here with us for years before the white man came with his religion and culture and we were forced to imbibe it through colonialism. We now marry a girl in the traditional African way, in court and in church. If I may ask why do we guys have to go through all these processes as if one is anyway lesser? Why don't we stick to one form of marriage or if possible fuse all the forms into one. The white man still does his normal white wedding or court marriage and it's legal, the Jewish people whom christ attended a traditional marriage still do only thier traditional Jewish wedding, why is our case in nigeria so different such that a young man has to keep doing parties and ceremonies three times over by tradition, in the court and in church before it is assumed he has been properly married . I am therefore proposing that we should only perform a traditional marriage then invite a priest, pastor or imam as the case may be to pray for the couple at the traditional venue and then the local govt marriage clerk should witness it there and give the couple a marriage certificate. This way most of our young men will get married with less stress on thier finances and have what to plan on after marriage. What do you gents and ladies think of my adjustment in marriage style?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by INTROVERT(f): 4:03pm On Jun 10, 2015
I agree with you intoto. Many mature young men would have been married today but when you consider all the costs you'd have to just chill a bit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Cutehector(m): 4:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
INTROVERT:
I agree with you intoto. Many mature young men would have been married today but when you consider all the costs you'd have to just chill a bit.
if only u can reason wit ur dad to cut down on d bride price, I go come wit ring asap
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by INTROVERT(f): 4:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
Cutehector:
if only u can reason wit ur dad to cut down on d bride price, I go come wit ring asap

What about my uncles and BIG BROTHER grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2015
We only do one type of wedding at a time. either traditional (customary) or white (civil), and never both. Which ever one you choose, the bride price must be paid and the marriage must be registered in court (i.e. legally married)!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Cutehector(m): 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2015
INTROVERT:

What about my uncles and BIG BROTHER grin grin
as for ur uncles, I wil buy dem wine.. Ur big bro will like me
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by GeneralQuamdeen: 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2015
Nice
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
Nice one@op,this is Total wasting of money and energy undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by INTROVERT(f): 4:16pm On Jun 10, 2015
Cutehector:
as for ur uncles, I wil buy dem wine.. Ur big bro will like me

You ain't that charming Niggi.... angry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by tommysparks: 4:19pm On Jun 10, 2015
vfactor:
We only do one type of wedding at a time. either traditional (customary) or white (civil), and never both. Which ever one you choose, the bride price must be paid and the marriage must be registered in court (i.e. legally married)!
what you are saying is what is presently obtainable, if you do customary without civil it is assumed the marriage is not complete secondly the church will not even accept if you haven't done customary and if you do customary and don't do a church wedding it is assumed you are still living in sin, why can't we stick to one and it remains acceptable worldwide.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Cutehector(m): 4:21pm On Jun 10, 2015
INTROVERT:

You ain't that charming Niggi.... angry
u dnt need charmin.. U need one who will love and respect u.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by tommysparks: 4:25pm On Jun 10, 2015
Hector and introvert you guys should discuss the matter on ground na, see as in a just dey derail this thread. Chei.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Tallesty1(m): 4:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
And yet they wonder why their husbands mistreat them.

Why wouldn't he when you were bought?

Imagine after you don spend all that money on marriage and wedding and she come dey preach equal right/feminism for your house?gringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by dhardline(m): 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2015
Op you are so on point.We have even gone to the extent of using Cakes in traditional weddings.For goodness sakes when did 'cakes' become a part of tradition?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by tommysparks: 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2015
dhardline:
Op you are so on point.We have even gone to the extent of using Cakes in traditional weddings.For goodness sakes when did 'cakes' become a part of tradition?
my brother I tire, just another useless extra expense without reason. Cakes don't come cheap either from 20k-250k depending on how you want it. Wahala dey oh
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
All i see in this thread are poor dudes that can't afford to go all out to wed that loved one.
So, they have resorted to complaining.
Expenses are nothing when love is involved.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 10, 2015
Na follow follow dey kill black man.

Things That Make A Guy Look Interesting To Girls

Interesting
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by jmoore(m): 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2015
Teempakguy:
All i see in this thread are poor dudes that can't afford to go all out to wed that loved one.
So, they have resorted to complaining.
Expenses are nothing when love is involved.
Dangote na your father abi?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 10, 2015
jmoore:

Dangote na your father abi?
no... But their companies are a bit similar... Why do you ask?

What, was that a joke
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Have To Marry A Woman 3 Times Over by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
tommysparks:
what you are saying is what is presently obtainable, if you do customary without civil it is assumed the marriage is not complete secondly the church will not even accept if you haven't done customary and if you do customary and don't do a church wedding it is assumed you are still living in sin, why can't we stick to one and it remains acceptable worldwide.

What I am saying is that my 'church' makes it compulsory to do just one! You either do the "traditional" or do the "white". never both of them. However, the bride price for the girl must be paid irrespective of which one you choose to do and the marriage must be registered!

(1) (Reply)

A Teenager Arrested In U S For Having MouthAction With 2-face / He Sleeps With Female Corpses To Satisfy His Libido. / For The Ladies Please!!! True Response Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.