Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss (1059 Views)

S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction / Mimiko Absent As South-west Governors Converge In Ibadan / Open Advice To South West Governors On Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by Austincrow(m): 1:07pm On Feb 20, 2009
I’m Disappointed with S’West Govs, Says Waziri•Blames judiciary, politicians for stalled cases
By Martha Eigbefoh with agency report, 02.20.2009

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment [b][/b]

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Chairman Farida Waziri yesterday expressed disappointment at what she called the attitude of South-west governors to the anti-graft campaign being waged by the commission.
Speaking with newsmen at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, Waziri said the poor attendance of the governors at the South-west launch of the Anti-Corruption Revolution (ANCOR) programme last Wednesday in Lagos left much to be desired.
Apart from the Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola who was represented by his deputy, Sarah Sosan, other governors from the region neither attended nor sent representatives.
“We sent a letter to them but they didn’t acknowledge receipt and they didn’t send any representative. They probably didn’t come because they don’t believe in the cause,” Waziri said, explaining that it showed the attitude of politicians to the anti-corruption war.
She said: “We are talking about corruption here and I think this is an event that should concern everyone because everybody, including those involved, agreed that corruption is Nigeria’s problem. It also goes to show the attitude of our politicians to national issues of that magnitude.
"We are talking about corruption here; I think it is an event that should concern all Nigerians because we are all involved. We have all admitted that corruption is the problem of Nigeria. This goes to show the attitude of our politicians to an issue of this magnitude. If it were the launch of another issue; they will flood the place and donate money," she declared.
Waziri said what she called the negative attitude of politicians to the anti-corruption crusade would not deter the commission especially with the massive turnout of youths for the launch.
She condemned the practice of stashing away funds in foreign countries instead of investing them in the nation’s economy to boost its growth.
Waziri also accused former state governors being tried for corrupt practices of paying huge sums to lawyers to stall the process.
“I’ve been crying myself hoarse that the cases are being stalled in courts. They get lawyers, pay them heavily and use the slow judicial system to stall the cases.
“They challenge the jurisdiction of the courts; ask for stay of execution and thus the cases my predecessor took to court are still there. It is worrisome,” she said.
Waziri explained that her duty was to investigate, charge suspects to court and ensure that exhibits were presented and witnesses testified, leaving the rest to the judiciary.
“Those who don’t like my face will say that the EFCC is not working. I can’t be the court and the EFCC. I ensure that witnesses go to court and exhibits are tendered. I can’t do more than I’ve done,” she stressed.
The EFCC boss also said she had met with bank executives in a bid to ensure that banks don’t go down to corruption.
“It appears the bank consolidation has relapsed with some papers flying out that Nigerian banks are in trouble and we don’t want Nigeria to be black-listed.
“That is the warning I sent out to them,” she said but did not elaborate.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=136219
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by Becomrrich: 3:31pm On Feb 20, 2009
The who south west too is disappointed with waziri. she only arrest people of Yorubas origin. I think she need to change her approach too. What did the Yorubas do to her. She is the one who got yar adua in trouble with the Yoruba leaders.

She need to change and the EFCC need to scrap.
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 20, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

it is a lie!!!!!!!!

not a single sat pic!!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by debosky(m): 3:42pm On Feb 20, 2009
Just you wait, you will soon see satellite evidence that Waziri is focusing only on Yoruba people while Hausas are far more corrupt. grin
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by asha80(m): 3:43pm On Feb 20, 2009
The who south west too is disappointed with waziri. she only arrest people of Yorubas origin. I think she need to change her approach too. What did the Yorubas do to her. She is the one who got yar adua in trouble with the Yoruba leaders

grin
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by mustafar1: 3:45pm On Feb 20, 2009
WAZIRI! WAZIRI! WAZIRI! maibe she wants land in those states as well.

debosky:

Just you wait, you will soon see satellite evidence that Waziri is focusing only on Yoruba people while Hausas are far more corrupt. grin

grin grin the power of satellite pictures should not be under estimated.
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by youngies(m): 3:50pm On Feb 20, 2009
Don't be too quick oyb, them satellite images will still come and when they do, they will come in torrents.
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by meexteriox(m): 4:58pm On Feb 20, 2009
Madam EFCC, what did you expect?
The only invitation they respond positively to is wedding, burial and birthday parties.
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by Sagamite(m): 6:41pm On Feb 20, 2009
Even if na true, abeg, clear all the Yoruba thieves especially the ones for my village.

Silly tribalists will even be complaining if police is catching armed robber for their town that why dey no dey catch robber for north.
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by jamace(m): 8:39pm On Feb 20, 2009
Another lame excuse from a failed outfit. Nigerians no longer obey government established institutions. Nigeria is finished angry angry?
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by bawomolo(m): 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2009
lol
debosky:

grin grin
Re: I'm Disappointed With South West Governors - Efcc Boss by comfort3: 12:02am On Feb 21, 2009
wink

(1) (Reply)

What If Yar Adua Was Not In The Ambulance We Saw / How Yar'adua Whiles Away Time. May Show Up At FEC Meeting Wednesday / Strongest Teeth In Africa-video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.