Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

What Next For Igboland - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Next For Igboland - Vanguard (2493 Views)

We Are Biafrans In Spirit, We Need 50 Year Devt Plan For Igboland – Obi Of Onits / Judge Threatens National Hospital Over Olisa Metuh - Vanguard / El Rufai 'insults' Osinbajo - Déjà Vu (Vanguard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Amaudeogu(m): 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
Igbos have displayed a clear preference for ex-President Goodluck Jonathan; and their fondness for him is understandable.

They like the fact that Jonathan has two Igbo middle names (Ebele and Azikiwe). And many of them feel that he did well for them by, for example, appointing the first Igbo Chief of Army Staff (Lt Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika) since the civil war.

A friend of mine recently bumped into Peter Obi, the former Governor of Anambra State; and Obi told my friend that he supported Jonathan (despite belonging to a different political party, APGA) because Jonathan had given him almost everything that he had requested on behalf of his state.

Meanwhile, because South-Easterners are close neighbours of South-Southerners, there is plenty of interaction on every level and many of the latter (this columnist included) have Igbo mothers, Igbo spouses and Igbo relatives.

It is also worth noting that a significant number of Niger Deltans (the Ikwerres of Rivers State and Ikas of Delta State, for example) have Igbo ancestries.

Long story short, despite occasional tensions, the fact that Ikwerres, etc, sometimes vehemently deny their Igbo roots (weird, given that they have names like Ngozi and Chidi!) and the fact that Niger Deltans sometimes make nasty remarks about Igbos, the two groups actually have a lot in common and often do business together and are bound together by strong emotional and blood ties.

In other words, plenty of Igbos regard Jonathan as their cousin! And I hope that President Buhari will also make a special effort to woo the millions of Igbos who have been in mourning since he won the election and are flooding the internet with bitter ranting complaints about his past “sins” and his current performance (even though he has been in charge for only a fortnight!).

The most successful leaders are loved and respected across the board, even by people who originally viewed them with scepticism or hostility and once backed their political rivals.

Igbos are enterprising and hard-working. Many professions are populated by clever Igbos. Many top entrepreneurs are Igbo. Igbos can survive without government patronage because they know how to generate real wealth.

In a nutshell, they add a lot of value to the Nigerian Project; and since most of them are practical, logical, no-nonsense people, I’m sure that they will warm to Buhari eventually if he reaches out to them and does well in general.

ALL sane and decent Nigerians will hail Buhari without reservations if he pulls off major feats like curbing corruption and sorting out the electricity problem.

By the way, the kind of people who say that no Niger Deltan should ever rule again are also the kind of people who insist that Igbos must never rule. And I despair when I hear this bigoted rubbish! Even if I didn’t have Igbos in my family tree, I would wonder why anyone should write off an entire ethnic group.

As far as I am concerned, the next time the South is given a chance to deliver a president, it will be their turn and we should all back a good Igbo candidate.

I would like to warmly thank Edem Duke, the former Minister of Culture/Tourism, Pius Anyim, the former SGF and the other PDP officials who were kind to me and other APC supporters during the transition period.

They didn’t sulk or give us the impression that they resented our election victory and regretted the fact that they would soon lose their jobs.

I was a member of the Inauguration Committee’s media/publicity sub-committee and was deeply touched by gentlemanly gestures such as Mr Duke’s insistence on providing us with a lovely lunch whenever we had a meeting in his office.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/what-next-for-igboland/#sthash.ssw4Lrdf.dpuf
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by ApcSucks: 6:24pm On Jun 12, 2015
waternogatenemy:
Yorubas murdering Journalism with sentiment since 1960s.

I pray they grow up, some day and rise above tribalism.

Greatness is next for igboland we are not follow follow and servants like yorubas

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by cooljude(m): 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
This is a story nairaland tribalist would love. You guys should finish yourself. As for me, i see different individuals as they are with their respective personality.
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by fulanimafia: 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
Amaudeogu:

In other words, plenty of Igbos regard Jonathan as their cousin! And I hope that President Buhari will also make a special effort to woo the millions of Igbos who have been in mourning since he won the election and are flooding the internet with bitter ranting complaints about his past “sins” and his current performance (even though he has been in charge for only a fortnight!).

grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile, after the 2nd Niger bridge deception, anyone with a cousin like Jonathan doesn't need enemies.

9 Likes

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by fulanimafia: 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2015
Amaudeogu:

Meanwhile, because South-Easterners are close neighbours of South-Southerners, there is plenty of interaction on every level and many of the latter (this columnist included) have Igbo mothers, Igbo spouses and Igbo relatives.

The writer is from the South South.

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Aegon(m): 7:08pm On Jun 12, 2015
cooljude:
This is a story nairaland tribalist would love. You guys should finish yourself. As for me, i see different individuals as they are with their respective personality.
Me too.
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by tiger28: 7:59pm On Jun 12, 2015
ApcSucks:

Greatness is next for igboland we are not follow follow and servants like yorubas
greatness while playing follow follow and attaché with your MINORITY neighbor??. Oya carry go nau! !

5 Likes

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by tobtap: 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2015
sour losers undecided

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by chamboy(m): 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2015

3 Likes

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Tolatutu: 8:18pm On Jun 12, 2015

Lmao, so everyone has noticed their mad rants grin

6 Likes

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by SESSOL: 9:16pm On Jun 12, 2015
Time to start thinking liberation.
SESSOL will make it happen. Let's join hands.
SESSOL berths with a New Biafran flag. Courtesy: South-East, South-South Organization for Liberation.

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by ApcSucks: 7:16am On Jun 13, 2015
tiger28:
greatness while playing follow follow and attaché with your MINORITY neighbor??. Oya carry go nau! !

Na yoruba get follow follow every1 knws that

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Majesty2OA: 7:34am On Jun 13, 2015
Igbo betrayal of the Nigerian TRUE FEDERALISM dates back to 1966.

They are self centered and truly extremists. They take themselves as from a different country and look down others as inferiors.

No wonder, kidnappings, armed robbery, 419, human trafficking, baby factories abound there.

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Mckennedy: 7:35am On Jun 13, 2015
tiger28:

Nobi follow follow carry u attach ya sef with Egun and Aworis by force?

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by bonechamberlain(m): 8:00am On Jun 13, 2015
hmm
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by bonechamberlain(m): 8:05am On Jun 13, 2015
hmm.. don't understand the essence of this write up
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by dayo23(f): 8:08am On Jun 13, 2015
grin
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by T8ksy(m): 10:16am On Jun 13, 2015
Tolatutu:

Lmao, so everyone has noticed their mad rants grin

It's highly difficult not to notice their mad rants against Buhari but am sure in due course, he would deal with them, accordingly. First of all , Buhari has to contend with his allies in order to consolidate his power.
Buhari (like his other fellow militicians), neither forgive nor forget. Nigerians Don enter one chance with this man.

As for me, I just dey look & laugh.

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by disumusa: 10:50am On Jun 13, 2015
ApcSucks:

ibos are the higest followfollow in africa 1) b/4 independent ibo started runing from se to west or north some even answer kaduna ezogu just to buy the mind of hausa 2) after independent yoruba decided to play oposition i.e human right actives i.e taisolarin, wolesoyinka, femi falana, gani fawemi, beko kuti etc these are the people that can collect contract slot from f.g govement but they refuse and ibo did. 3) in civilian setting for more than 16yers yoruba decided to stay oposition infact ibo follow obj than yoruba 4) now ibo surport gej >agbaje>fayose>bukola>dongara infact the mistake of ibo or igbo start from their na

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Dannidom(m): 10:55am On Jun 13, 2015
My fellow Igbo kinsmen ndi nwe mmadu please check my signature is for our own good
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by ApcSucks: 11:06am On Jun 13, 2015
disumusa:
ibos are the higest followfollow in africa 1) b/4 independent ibo started runing from se to west or north some even answer kaduna ezogu just to buy the mind of hausa 2) after independent yoruba decided to play oposition i.e human right actives i.e taisolarin, wolesoyinka, femi falana, gani fawemi, beko kuti etc these are the people that can collect contract slot from f.g govement but they refuse and ibo did. 3) in civilian setting for more than 16yers yoruba decided to stay oposition infact ibo follow obj than yoruba 4) now ibo surport gej >agbaje>fayose>bukola>dongara infact the mistake of ibo or igbo start from their na

We ain't follow follow rada yorubas are
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Pangea: 11:20am On Jun 13, 2015
Chai
Barcanista where are you,
You guys should stop mourning o
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Pangea: 11:20am On Jun 13, 2015
See finishing

are flooding the internet with bitter ranting complaints about his past “sins” and his current performance (even though he has been in charge for only a fortnight!).

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by brize(m): 11:23am On Jun 13, 2015
hmm, one thing i know that wont work is... One Nigeria..
The columnist abi the writer is really funny, igbos supported jonathan becos he atleast gave us a breathing space for our business to strive,at least listened to our complains (even though many was not solved), and i guess the final reason was that APC lead government in the south east was a disaster(Ngige) and is a shame and deceit(Rochas) so who in his common sense in igbo land will still listen to APC?? Buhari was a dictator, though he claims to be a repented democrat, but campaign is campaign, his past sins was brought out doing campaign thus making people(igbo) to vote for the person who showed some signs of a leader(GEJ) than to vote for an ex dictator(Buhari) which truely truely we wont for now ascertain if he repented as claimed........ i hate it when people talk rubbish about igbos, saying they voted this person and because of that this person will deal with them, lol (as if igbos are government dependent) they voted for their conscience and you cannot do anything about it, come to think of it, lets judge our selves right now, why did hausa people voted massively for Buhari?? my hausa friend was secretly told me when we were having a discussion that muslims dont seem happy when ever a christian governs them, that it makes them feel inferior(even if you kill yourself for their sake, they wont praise you) and so they will try everything possible to take you off the post when ever the chance occures, Buhari is a muslim from the north also.. Yorubas nko? They voted Buhari because they have alliance with the north (which is not so good for our democracy) and that made them to vote(even if its not what their conscience told them) they voted for who they trust and for the sake of their Tinubu and the alliance too, you will find out that EKITI voted PDP that should send you a signal..(someone will say its because its a PDP lead government).... What of igbos??, the writer of this article said they voted because of Azikiwe and Ebele, hmm lol funny columnist, if name is what we voted for then what happened to chekwas okorie?, charles okoye and martin Onovo?? Are they not igbo sons?? And we leave them or leave their name just to vote for an ijaw man with Ebele and adopted Azikiwe name, (even in Imo state, GEJ won), this shows you that once the igbos are behind you that they are definitely behind you, no matter the allegiance or the party ruling the same(as in the case of EKITI & IMO) but i dont blame the columnist(poverty tickled mind) that shows how our mentality runs in this part of the world... Thanks all

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 13, 2015
The writer isn't so fair with the Igbos. Anyway, I have come to realise that when an Igboman loves you, he does so genuinely and is willing to stake his all for your sake. I have also realise that the average Igboman is concerned with enabling environment and equal opportunity which the GEJ administration gave everyone. Their vote for GEJ has nothing to do with "Ebele" or "Azikiwe" but because of what he did. Buhari could not boast of such, hence, their support. I urge Buhari to consider seeking favoravle relationship with the Igbos(and all Nigerians) without expect anyone to beg him. Politics is over, governance should be the main.

One debt I owe the Igbo nation is to support their cause especially to lead this country, because I so believe in them. May God spare our lives till 2019!

7 Likes

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by chamboy(m): 12:29pm On Jun 13, 2015
They would continue chest-beating nii

2 Likes

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by Hardheolar(m): 8:12pm On Jun 13, 2015
barcanista:
The writer isn't so fair with the Igbos. Anyway, I have come to realise that when an Igboman loves you, he does so genuinely and is willing to stake his all for your sake. I have also realise that the average Igboman is concerned with enabling environment and equal opportunity which the GEJ administration gave everyone. Their vote for GEJ has nothing to do with "Ebele" or "Azikiwe" but because of what he did. Buhari could not boast of such, hence, their support. I urge Buhari to consider seeking favoravle relationship with the Igbos(and all Nigerians) without expect anyone to beg him. Politics is over, governance should be the main.

One debt I owe the Igbo nation is to support their cause especially to lead this country, because I so believe in them. May God spare our lives till 2019!
I agree with you on this.

1 Like

Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by owobokiri(m): 10:15pm On Jun 13, 2015
fulanimafia:

grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile, after the 2nd Niger bridge deception, anyone with a cousin like Jonathan doesn't need enemies.

Second Niger bridge was/is no deception. Work is seriously going on there. I don't know why some of you want to hear or read something else. . You can even see the emerging new structures from the original bridge. Second niger bridge under GEJ was no scam. It was/is real.
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by fulanimafia: 10:29pm On Jun 13, 2015
owobokiri:

Second Niger bridge was/is no deception. Work is seriously going on there. I don't know why some of you want to hear or read something else. . You can even see the emerging new structures from the original bridge. Second niger bridge under GEJ was no scam. It was/is real.

And what about the tolls?
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by StOla: 10:34pm On Jun 13, 2015
barcanista:

Buhari could not boast of such?

Yet he had a fair distribution of ministers and state military administrators between the North and South, between the Christian ,Muslim and even the irreligious.

He led a comprehensive pursuit and prosecution of all political office holders irrespective of religion or tribe.

Yet you still question his fairness and equal opportunity.

You so believe in the Igbo man?
LMAO! You need to go revisit your old threads and posts. Your true opinion of the Igbo man is well cast in stone.

Any Igboman that takes you seriously in on the road to disappointment.

barcanista:
My personal Opinion is that Ojukwu wanted to do a Hitler...he wanted to control by force!

As for towing that path, I am assuring you that even Jonathan knows that it won't work. Time will tell

barcanista:
My dear, one thing I always know is that Truth Cannot be hidden. If I am to even mention Biafra attrocities on Ijawland/Old Rivers state you will be shocked.

To them every1 is Yoruba. They keep trying all they could to avoid responding to issues, instead they play to personal attacks/character assassination

Your past is already a part of you, you cannot delete everything, unless you want to delete the internet.
Re: What Next For Igboland - Vanguard by owobokiri(m): 11:36pm On Jun 13, 2015
We will cross that bridge when we get there. . .

fulanimafia:

And what about the tolls?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The 10 Most Richest People Of All Time / We’re Ready To Suppress Pro-biafra Agitators — Army / Mbaka Launches New Product Lines For His Company Aqua Rapha Investments Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.