Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,648 members, 7,816,662 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review (613 Views)

Reactions Over Rats In President Buhari's Office / #OperationCallYourSenators: Senators Express Displeasure With Their Callers / Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Johnnyessence(m): 7:53am On Jun 13, 2015
SOME senators have expressed mixed reactions over the review of remunerations of lawmakers in the country.

Speaking on the review, Senator Kabir Marafa, who represents Zamfara Central, on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, said the claim that legislators in the country were receiving high remunerations was untrue.

Marafa, while challenging Nigerians to go and verify from banks how much senators were earning, insisted that some Nigerians mistook constituency allowance, as part of the salaries which the lawmakers earned.

He said: Our monies are paid through banks, they don’t give us directly; so let the bankers come out and say how much a senator earns.

“When you get the correct figure, that is when you and I can sit down and talk but you cannot invent an amount and then tell me how much I should reduce from it.

“I think there is general ignorance as to how much a Nigerian senator earns. I would want Nigerians to know exactly how much we earn; then they can come up with criticisms on basis of facts,” he said. When asked how much a Senator earns he still referred the reporter to find out from the banks.

Senator Dino Melaye, APC, from Kogi State, had vowed to champion a campaign for salary cut for federal lawmakers when the new National Assembly resumes.

Melaye insisted that legislators must begin to sacrifice their comfort and allow a pay cut, saying that money realised from the exercise would be used for developmental projects and proper oversight roles.

Senator Ben Bruce, who represents Bayelsa-East Senatorial Zone, on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, said that he would support any reduction in the pay of members of the National Assembly, noting that he was elected into the Senate to render service and not to waste tax-payers’ money.

He said: “I subscribe 100 per cent to pay cut for National Assembly members; they can cut it to whatever they want, I am in support of it.”

But he warned against singling out lawmakers for the pay cut, saying it must be extended to all other government officials, who maintained exorbitant lifestyles with the taxpayers’ money.

He further said, “The problem we have now is that people seek public office to enrich themselves, that must stop.

“If you seek public office, you must care about the poor people who voted you into power; the people who voted me into office live under the tree, the rich ones went abroad.

“If we come into office and we live this exorbitant lifestyle, and we consume the resources of our country, then we have failed them and we have failed God.

“It cannot be business as usual; we are here for the real change, for the right change,” Bruce said.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/senators-express-mixed-reactions-over-pay-review/#sthash.SucmvNpW.dpuf
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by kaycexx(m): 8:07am On Jun 13, 2015
I smell change....

In fact can feel it.

God bless senator Ben Bruce.
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Mayowasoaga: 8:07am On Jun 13, 2015
Ministry of Finance cannot lie about What they earn
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Zaikon(m): 8:14am On Jun 13, 2015
this zamfara guy no get truth for mouth.
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by 240naija(m): 8:17am On Jun 13, 2015
SOME senators have expressed mixed reactions over the review of remunerations of lawmakers in the country. Speaking on the review, Senator Kabir Marafa, who represents Zamfara Central, on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, said the claim that legislators in the country were receiving high remunerations was untrue. Marafa, while challenging Nigerians to go and verify from banks how much senators were earning, insisted that some Nigerians mistook constituency allowance, as part of the salaries which the lawmakers earned. He said: Our monies are paid through banks, they don’t give us directly; so let the bankers come out and say how much a senator earns. “When you get the correct figure, that is when you and I can sit down and talk but you cannot invent an amount and then tell me how much I should reduce from it. “I think there is general ignorance as to how much a Nigerian senator earns. I would want Nigerians to know exactly how much we earn; then they can come up with criticisms on basis of facts,” he said. When asked how much a Senator earns he still referred the reporter to find out from the banks.
www.levitoday..com/2015/06/senators-express-mixed-reactions-over.html
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by softvio(m): 8:30am On Jun 13, 2015
When a man of intergrity is speaking y'all should listen.. God bless Ben Bruce ..he's d next President of Nigeria
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by sammyj: 8:33am On Jun 13, 2015
Na God win. However this shows that the so called legislative arm of the government are all there for their pockets. Selfish people !!! tongue
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by adekayo1234(m): 8:36am On Jun 13, 2015
Am sure there wouldn't have been mixed feelings if it were a pay increase. I will take all this crap seriously if the cut should cover their allowances also

(1) (Reply)

Where Is The Gatekeeper Of Hell / The Minimum Wage Should Be Made 60,000 ( See Reason) / Buruji Kashamu Donates 30 Trailers Of ‘rice’ To The Suffering People Of APC Con

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.