Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders (2021 Views)

Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami / Murder Of Innocent Kokorifa: Protest In Yenagoa By Ijaw Youths (Photos) / Ijaw Leaders Promise To Resolve Militancy Crisis In 30 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 15, 2015

By Valentine Amanze, Lagos

June 15, 2015 

Leaders of Ijaw communities of Bayelsa State, Nigeria, will this week file an action at the Supreme Court to protest against the appellate court ruling, which struck out the $1.5 billion oil spillage and environmental degradation case against Shell Petroleum Development Company Nigeria Limited.

They are also drafting a petition to the National Judicial Council (NJC) against some judges, “who were allegedly compromised and bought over by Shell.”

The group lamented that the judges were allegedly bought over by Shell to deliver a favourable judgement for them “despite the overwhelming and convincing evidences of death, oil spillages and environmental pollution,” which Shell’s activities in the land has brought to them. They further disclosed that they had forwarded a petition to the NJC to take actions against the concerned judges.

At a media briefing on the judgment Saturday in Abuja, the leader of the Ijaw communities and ex-presidential aspirant in the aborted Third Republic, Chief Pere Ajuwa, said that the Ijaw nation has been in a violence-free battle with Shell over death and other hazards the company has allegedly caused them.

He added that the matter has appeared before the two chambers of the National Assembly, which he said, ordered Shell to pay $1.5 billion to the 145 Ijaw communities in Bayelsa State.

Ajuwa lamented that rather than paying the stated amount to the Ijaw nation for irreplaceable damages done to them, Shell decided to use its money to pollute the Nigerian judiciary system, alleging that the Anglo-Dutch oil major bought over the Federal Court of Appeal judges to deliver the judgment that was to their favour.

Ajuwa said: “I have never seen a place where blood is shed and the law enforcement agencies will shut their eyes to it. Our people have kept their promise not to resort to violence. We have instructed our team of lawyers to proceed to the Supreme Court to challenge the appellate court judgment and by by next week, we will be in the apex court.

“This decision will not stand because we have already prepared our petition to the NJC to sanction those Shell judges. Nigerian judges have always been role models in countries like Uganda, Gambia and Sierra Leone. But just a few bad eggs in the system have allowed themselves to be used to upturn justice even in the face of convincing and overwhelming evidences.

“We have been in a battle with Shell Development Petroleum Company of Nigeria. When the Traditional Rulers Council of Bayelsa State invited me to handle the case, I gave them my conditions which included non-violence from any Ijaw group. In 2003, a commission of enquiry was called at the National Assembly and there has not been any single violence against Shell since that period till now.

“But in this process, we have been undermined even by certain agents of government and Shell. The commission of inquiry specified that 1,247 indigenes of Bayelsa State died due to Shell’s oil pollution. There was an unmitigated outpour of cholera and other water borne diseases. This figure was confirmed by both NNPC and the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

“The National Assembly proclaimed that Shell was guilty of environmental degradation that led to death of people, Shell was asked to pay the 145 Ijaw communities in Bayelsa State the sum of $1.5 billon, but Shell went through the courts and said that the National Assembly cannot give a legislative judgment or award such amount of money to the Ijaw nation. When we went to the Federal High Court, it ruled in our favour, noting that if the two parties agree to submit themselves to a non judicial body, any decision taken by the body should stand. It therefore upheld that Shell should pay us the stated amount.

“But Shell took us to the Court of Appeal where they had their judges who struck out the decision of the lower court despite the convincing and overwhelming evidences of oil spillages, degradation and deaths which Shell activities in Bayelsa has brought to us. In striking out our case the Appeal Court said that we are abusing court process.”
www.dailyindependentnig.com/2015/06/shell-corrupting-nigerias-judiciary-ijaw-leaders/
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by hassan85(m): 3:53pm On Jun 15, 2015
Ijaw community are very corrupt too. Its a fact. We only hear their voice when their is money to spend or when they feel cheated. All the amnesty money what have they been using it for? Agreed Shell is inhumane, how about pipe vandalism is it shells doing again or Ijaw youths? How about illegal refinaries bn operated by ijaw leaders causing enviromental degridation? Lets just be honest with ourselves and help ourselves deal with the realistical issues. Safe journey to suprime court. I hope if they eventualy get d 1.5b, they wil also go to National tv and National Newspaper to tell us what it would be used 4. I hate being a pessimist

6 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by delishpot: 3:54pm On Jun 15, 2015
Even if shell gives compensation, the thieving chiefs will swallow it all like snakes swallow eggs. None will be used for tge good of the community.
Ehm.....Shell, biko do something na! Handle their environment well and reduce pollution in their land to the very best of human ability.
Where are the Naija delta rats? stop bursting pipe lines to bunker oil. You burst pipe lines, bunker oil and slink back into your creeks leaving oil to spill from the vandalized pipes into the environment and then, blame shell for the spillage. Respect ya selves o. Anyhoe Buhari has promised to make Nigeria better. Waiting.......

4 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jun 15, 2015
Make I sit down here And see how apc thugs go bash barca

1 Like

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by stepo707: 3:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
Era of corruption will soon be over
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Blakjewelry(m): 3:56pm On Jun 15, 2015
No be today na
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 15, 2015
Shell is the most inhuman and the most irresponsible corporate entity in the Niger Delta. They are the number one corporate enemy of Niger Deltans. The shameless judgement that they obtained from the kangaroo and biased judge at the court of appeal will not stand.

Cc Lalasticlala Ishilove Seun
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:
Shell is the most inhuman and the most irresponsible corporate entity in the Niger Delta. They are the number one corporate enemy of Niger Deltans. The shameless judgement that they obtained from the kangaroo and biased judge at the court of appeal will not stand.

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by abduljabbar4(m): 4:00pm On Jun 15, 2015
hassan85:
Ijaw community are very corrupt too. Its a fact. We only hear their voice when their is money to spend or when they feel cheated. All the amnesty money what have they been using it for?
They are very very corrupt. Why do you think the op is a protection seeker?

2 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by MzJackBaueress(f): 4:02pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:

I was waiting for you to blame this on President Muhammadu Buhari lemme pounce on you this hot afternoon.

Oniranu!

6 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 15, 2015
abduljabbar4:

Must u cage ya brain?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by agarawu23(m): 4:02pm On Jun 15, 2015
delishpot:
Even if shell gives compensation, the thieving chiefs will swallow it all like snakes swallow eggs. None will be used for tge good of the community.
Ehm.....Shell, biko do something na! Handle their environment well and reduce pollution in their land to the very best of human ability.

stop bursting pipe lines to bunker oil. You burst pipe lines, bunker oil and slink back into your creeks leaving oil to spill from the vandalized pipes into the environment and then, blame shell for the spillage. Respect ya selves o. Anyhoe Buhari has promised to make Nigeria better. Waiting.......
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by abduljabbar4(m): 4:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
The Ijaws are the major thieves stealing Nigeria's oilgrin

1 Like

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2015
hassan85:
Ijaw community are very corrupt too. Its a fact. We only hear their voice when their is money to spend or when they feel cheated. All the amnesty money what have they been using it for?
It is your own community that isn't corrupt. Please I don't want this thread to be an Ijaw bashing thread. Our people are being oppressed by the criminals in suits that calls themselves shell. This is a community fight and not the fight for some of our irresponsible politicians. You have no idea of what is going on. Our people are in court because we believe in legal process rather than take laws into our hands. No matter how long it takes, Shell shall be defeated in this fight.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 15, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
I was waiting for you to blame this on President Muhammadu Buhari lemme pounce on you this hot afternoon.

Oniranu!
Get a husband dear
Datz wad u nid
Not misbehaving on NL

Lalasticlala and ishilove take note, I no insult am

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by hassan85(m): 4:07pm On Jun 15, 2015
abduljabbar4:

exactly. Now its ijaw youth he wants Suprime court to come to dia aide forgeting dt we have many Hausa Daulads and certificateless Abokis in suprime court. Smh. Attention is what he is seeking
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by nke001: 4:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
Those guys and their fellow cankarworms 9ja politicians are the ones hoarding the PIB for being passed, destroying the ND for their own gain, etc..

Thank goodness that our youths chased them off our boundaries.
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
That we are following legal process should not be interpreted as being foolish. If bunkering persists other region will suffer economically. A wise fellow will explore peace and justice. Be a wise fellow!
delishpot:
Where are the Naija delta rats? stop bursting pipe lines to bunker oil. You burst pipe lines, bunker oil and slink back into your creeks leaving oil to spill from the vandalized pipes into the environment and then, blame shell for the spillage. Respect ya selves o. Anyhoe Buhari has promised to make Nigeria better. Waiting.......
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Ngasky(m): 4:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
In as much as we want justice for the poor Niger deltas they contributed in this mess. How can you blowup or break a pipe to steal oil and expect shell to pay for damage incurred by this act?

2 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

Get a husband dear
Datz wad u nid
Not misbehaving on NL

Lalasticlala and ishilove take note, I no insult am
bro pls ignore the old woman that wouldn't respect her age and gender.

3 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by doublewisdom: 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:

My brother , Shell no dey try but what about our communities leaders? Many of them so called leaders also receive bribes to give Oil companies a soft landing.
BTW, Wetin dem dey use GMoU millions do?

3 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by delishpot: 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:
That we are following legal process should not be interpreted as being foolish. If bunkering persists other region will suffer economically. A wise fellow will explore peace and justice. Be a wise fellow!

And I said anything aginst the good ordinary people of Ijaw land or what is your point?

NB Ordinary here means the common man o. Brcause e nor dey tey you read comments and turn talk upside down.
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by hassan85(m): 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:
It is your own community that isn't corrupt. Please I don't want this thread to be an Ijaw bashing thread. Our people are being oppressed by the criminals in suits that calls themselves shell. This is a community fight and not the fight for some of our irresponsible politicians. You have no idea of what is going on. Our people are in court because we believe in legal process rather than take laws into our hands. No matter how long it takes, Shell shall be defeated in this fight.
Rubish. How about BH? not criminals inflitrating the north ryt? U blame it on PMB and APC now u want sympathy. See Barcanista u knw it, i knw it. Ijaw nation are problem of themselves. Just tell me why non of them have EVER go to suprime court to help stop vandalism of pipe line. Thiefs and corruptions.
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by doublewisdom: 4:14pm On Jun 15, 2015
delishpot:

And I said anything aginst the good ordinary people of Ijaw land or what is your point?
Who be dis?
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 15, 2015
nke001:
Those guys and their fellow cankarworms 9ja politicians are the ones hoarding the PIB for being passed, destroying the ND for their own gain, etc..

Thank goodness that our youths chased them off our boundaries.
Those guys at shell along with politicians and some treacherous locals are the cancers ofthe Niger Delta region. I'm not surprised that they bought judgement for themselves.

Btw: the PIB has been tampered with by the criminal House of Representative

1 Like

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by delishpot: 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2015
doublewisdom:

Who be dis?

JAMB question. I dey come Make I go eat and tgen read then I will come and answer ya exam question.

Who be you?
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
doublewisdom:

My brother , Shell no dey try but what about our communities leaders? Many of them so called leaders also receive bribes to give Oil companies a soft landing.
BTW, Wetin dem dey use GMoU millions do?
I said it earlier that shell and others are working alongside some of our treacherous local leaders.
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by opeaceo: 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:
Those guys at shell along with politicians and some treacherous locals are the cancers ofthe Niger Delta region. I'm not surprised that they bought judgement for themselves.

Btw: the PIB has been tampered with by the criminal House of Representative

Now you are coming out with the truth "treacherous locals". The leadership of the ijaw peeps are culpable here, and Shell is the most CORRUPT organisation operating in the region.

1 Like

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by jantofubu(m): 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2015
brb
Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 15, 2015
hassan85:
Rubish. How about BH? not criminals inflitrating the north ryt? U blame it on PMB and APC now u want sympathy. See Barcanista u knw it, i knw it. Ijaw nation are problem of themselves. Just tell me why non of them have EVER go to suprime court to help stop vandalism of pipe line. Thiefs and corruptions.
how smart are you? Did anybody stop the government from fighting BH or what? How can people go to court to stop vandalism when vandalism is a criminal offence in the first place? Did we protest that no vandals be prosecuted? Do you have an idea the economic effect on Nigeria should the youth resort to arm struggle and violence? Everyday I pray for an end to BH. I criticise government so as to see it bring the menace to end. We should be more about justice and humanity. This is not a PDP/APC subject. I wonder your rationale in trying to politicise it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:

. . . . . . . .minion, a month ago an Ijaw man was the ruler of the manor, what was his position on the shell issue? . . . . . . . . . . .a month ago, an ijaw woman was the most powerful woman in the country, what was her position on the shell issue? . . . . . . . . . . . . .the lord of thunder and fire (Asari) is ijaw, what is his position on the shell issue? . . . . . . . . . . . . .goon, Edwin Clark rode the corridors of power like a hailstorm, what was his position on this issue? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .imp, you are ijaw . . . . . . . .how many threads have you opened so far this year that are related to Buhari as against the ones you have opened on this shell issue? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How Shell Is Corrupting Nigeria’s Judiciary, By Ijaw Leaders by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 15, 2015
delishpot:

NB Ordinary here means the common man o. Brcause e nor dey tey you read comments and turn talk upside down.
Nothing do you bros. Just that your first comment was not so it.This fight for justice is for the common man

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Newspapers: 10 Things You Need To Know This Tuesday Morning / Igbo Member Of Lagos State House Of Assembly Protest Against Use Of Yoruba In Ch / Nairaland Problem Will Start 2moro With This By 4pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.