Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (35460 Views)

Fashola: How We Added 400MW To Power Nat Grid Despite Sabotage / Nationwide Darkness Looms As Electricity Supply Drops To 1,400MW / FG To Build 2,400MW Nuclear Plants In Kogi, A' Ibom States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by gaussy(m): 6:25am On Jun 17, 2015
The Federal Government through the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC) has selected Geregu in Kogi State and Itu in Akwa Ibom State as the sites for building two nuclear power plants in Nigeria that could generate up to 2,400 megawatts (mw) at both sites.

In a presentation yesterday at the plenary of the Phase 2 Integrated Nuclear Infrastructure Review (INIR) mission in Abuja, NAEC Chairman, Mr. Erepamo Osaisai, said part of its progress is the concluded preliminary site selection activities and “detailed evaluation and characterization to be conducted on preferred sites on the approval of government in Geregu, Ajaokuta Local Government Area of kogi State and Itu in Itu LGA of Akwa Ibom State.”

Daily Trust had reported in April that NAEC was holding talks with Russia’s Rosatom Corporation to build four nuclear power plants costing about $20 billion (about N3.9 trillion) which would generate 4,800 megawatts (mw).

Erepamo said the plants will be co-financed by Rosatom, which will then build, own, operate and transfer (BOOT) them to the government. He noted that the preliminary licensing of the approved sites is expected by the end of 2016 from the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA) which is currently developing the licences’ procedures.

The commission said training and capacity building for building and operating the plants are ongoing while it has developed a framework to establish a ‘National Nuclear Insurance Policy and Scheme’ to “adequately address the civil liability of component for the Nuclear Power industry in conformity with the 1963 Vienna Convention on Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage.”

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Power, Dr. Godknows Igali, said government’s intervention in the power sector includes the diversification of the electricity sources from the present 80 percent gas and 20 percent hydro to integrate nuclear power to meet its target of generating 20,000 megawatts (mw) by year 2020.

“With NAEC’s plan to inject 1,200mw from first nuclear power plant in 2025 and increase to 4,800mw in 2035, the energy mix is expected to have increased to about 20 percent power generation from clean sources,” Igali said.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Director General, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Dr Mikhail Chudakov, who led the agency’s delegation on a two-week trip to Nigeria, said Nigeria should be prepared to take adequate responsibility for the safety culture and for safe operation of a nuclear power in the country.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/business/57411-fg-picks-geregu-itu-as-2-400mw-nuclear-power-sites

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by lolaxavier(m): 6:26am On Jun 17, 2015
Ok
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 17, 2015
Nigeria is known for lack of maintenance strategy, how will they maintain this facility? Considering the risk posed by it to the society

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by PRYCE(m): 6:36am On Jun 17, 2015
I just hope our scientists would be able to maintain those fragile reactors else it'll be a case of Jobs created but leased to foreign Vultures!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by EMANY01(m): 6:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Well well....
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 17, 2015
Great

- 2016 is too far for licensing
- what is the role of Nigerian engineers and scientists
- I believe in this project because its coming from Buhari
- Since it's coming from Russia, I support the big dream
- Meanwhile can generators be banned undecided

Sai Buhari

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by solarview(m): 6:42am On Jun 17, 2015
N
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by GogetterMD(m): 6:44am On Jun 17, 2015
Issues
1- is it just a Nigerian situation or why are all contracts in Nigeria overly inflated? $20billion USD for just 4800 MW of electricity?
2- I am afraid for Maintenance culture here. Nigerians can know how to vandalize and steal anything, electricity cables, transformer parts, blow up gas pipelines etc. Their ignorance won't make them realise the importance of staying away from a nuclear power plant. Even Japan is shutting down all her nuclear reactors after the calamity that came last decade

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by cerzo(m): 6:46am On Jun 17, 2015
i only kn oga buhari nd vp commisioner as FG for nw..where re d remaining FGs..

3 Likes

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by efilefun(m): 6:47am On Jun 17, 2015
Good
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by vanunu: 7:32am On Jun 17, 2015
Buhari should stop this ruffplay, when other countries ara moving away from nuclear power, he wants to build one. He should site it in daura.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Jorussia(m): 7:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Igali should just go and sit down jare,$20b for less than 5000mw of electricity?I know that when pmb settles down in office, this will be one of the power projects that will be scrapped.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by tempest01(m): 7:38am On Jun 17, 2015
Why akwaibom? Them wan come kill us?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 17, 2015
What about your fada?

hypertension:
buhari is a thief
osibanjo is handicapp
saraki is a known criminal
ike ekweremadu is a known pdp member

ben bruce is now dumb..
this apc/pdp bigots would want to fight for their party..yet..they are all united against the national cake..

23 Likes

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Jorussia(m): 7:39am On Jun 17, 2015
vanunu:
Buhari should stop this ruffplay, when other countries ara moving away from nuclear power, he wants to build one. He should site it in daura.
This is not a project from PmB,it is actually from GEJ.Igali is just trying to show himself.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 17, 2015
I hope Geregu is not close to Igboland because we will not allow that to happen in Akwa Ibom State also.

When the want to site WMD they will locate close to Igboland.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 17, 2015
well,recently I now sleep and wake up to power.That's something,I sometimes meet power when I come back from the work place.PMB,God help u.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by heatflux: 7:57am On Jun 17, 2015
Nuclear?? No problem. Hope they have also planned how to dispose the nuclear toxic waste too? If not..... those chosen sites.....hmmm grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by DaGC(m): 8:06am On Jun 17, 2015
So, basically its still the same thing. That we have to wait till 2020 before having at least 20,000MW which doesn't translate to constant power. Worse is, these nuclear plants will take till 2035 before contributing their quota to the power sector.

See as them dey call the years like Naira undecided
Una want make I die before una promise of constant light go come to fruition?

I believe last time, a certain governor said constant power supply was achievable in 8months. Please someone should refer him to this report. Thanks.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by MINISTER2000: 8:20am On Jun 17, 2015
$20b to generate jst 4.8MW is outrageous and a complete rip off! why can't we have more hydropower dams which r cheaper, safer n hv more advantages. Nuclear plant is a disaster in wainting n that is why even developed nations r some hw considering other options.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by princetigris(m): 8:34am On Jun 17, 2015
Incase it hits FP #ChangenotMiracle
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 17, 2015
Please this project shouldn't be sited anywhere 1000 nautical miles away from the east. Itu isn't a good choice. Mr Buhari please site your Nuclear project either around the Saraha states or 1000 nautical mile into the Atlantic.

#LessonsFromJapan
#ProudlyAnambay

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:49am On Jun 17, 2015
What happen to wind power and solar energy power plants? Are they too expensive to build and maintain? those ones are eco-friendly BTW this is GEJ initiative not PMB

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by owobokiri(m): 8:49am On Jun 17, 2015
This is costly compared to the cost of biulding such elsewhere. . By the time we are through with biulding power stations in this country, we would have spent over 100 billion dollars to generate 4000 megawatts of power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by AgreatMan: 8:57am On Jun 17, 2015
I hate nuclear plants, nigeria is too reckless for such ventures.

we shd emulate our sister, president merkel of West Ger-ma-ni who is decommissioning all her nuclear plants.

btw, $20B for 5000mw and we have to wait till 2035. These russians must be high on vodka that is mixed with ondo ogogoro.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by homerac7: 9:02am On Jun 17, 2015
GogetterMD:
Issues
1- is it just a Nigerian situation or why are all contracts in Nigeria overly inflated? $20billion USD for just 4800 MW of electricity?
2- I am afraid for Maintenance culture here. Nigerians can know how to vandalize and steal anything, electricity cables, transformer parts, blow up gas pipelines etc. Their ignorance won't make them realise the importance of staying away from a nuclear power plant. Even Japan is shutting down all her nuclear reactors after the calamity that came last decade
Aaaargh! Too much ignorance here !

gbl01:
Nigeria is known for lack if maintenance strategy, how will they maintain this facility? Consisting the risk posed by it to the society

Read again, it is a BOOT arrangement, meaning it will be built , owned, operated by the Russians before being transferred to Nigeria after a stipulated period.

PRYCE:
I just hope our scientists would be able to maintain those fragile reactors else it'll be a case of Jobs created but leased to foreign Vultures!

Scientists don't maintain plants, technicians[b][/b] do.

GogetterMD:
Issues

1. I'm not sure of average rate at the moment, but nuclear plants are the costliest to set up among the popular energy plants. They don't come cheap. Consolation is that they produce the cheapest electricity of the lot.

2. Japan is shutting down because of its environmental risk profile I.e it is in an earthquake prone region, while Nigeria has a better environmental risk profile in that respect.

Other nations shutting down have better energy mix and older nuclear reactors/plants. Ours is new and based on newer and safer technology too.

vanunu:

It would have been a good thing for people of Daura, but nuclear plants are sited near large fresh water source for (tertiary) cooling of reactors. So that's why it is in Kogi (rivers Niger and Benue) and Akwa Ibom (Qua Oboe river).

Jorussia:
Igali should just go and sit down jare,$20b for less than 5000mw of electricity?I know that when pmb settles down in office, this will be one of the power projects that will be scrapped.

No he will carry on with the national policy on energy mix and nuclear power generation. It is part of our national development programmes.

Jorussia:
This is not a project from PmB,it is actually from GEJ.Igali is just trying to show himself.

No sir. It is a national policy inducted under late president UMYA

BuddahMonk:
I hope Geregu is not close to Igboland because we will not allow that to happen in Akwa Ibom State also.
When the want to site WMD they will locate close to Igboland.

Geregu is in Kogi state in Ebira (?) land. Calm down, it is a national asset. Stop reasoning like boko haram.

heatflux:
Nuclear?? No problem. Hope they have also planned how to dispose the nuclear toxic waste too? If not..... those chosen sites.....hmmm grin

Read it again and see IAEA being involved. Building nuclear plants is not like buying Tiger or Elepaq generators. There are stringent statutory requirements and operational procedures to meet.

MINISTER2000:
$20b to generate jst 4.8MW is outrageous and a complete rip off! why can't we have more hydropower dams which r cheaper, safer n hv more advantages. Nuclear plant is a disaster in wainting n that is why even developed nations r some hw considering other options.

Hydro dams have their strong points, but they are not exactly environmental friendly and are highly susceptible to hydrological cycle and plenty of community related issues both upstream and downstream. Moreover, you need energy mix to improve your general reliability.

givan:
Please this project shouldn't be sited anywhere 1000 nautical miles away from the east. Itu isn't a good choice. Mr Buhari please site your Nuclear project either around the Saraha states or 1000 nautical mile into the Atlantic.
#LessonsFromJapan
#ProudlyAnambay

I pray and hope (and would lobby if I'm in such prime position)that one of the next sets planned will be sited between Imo river and Anambra river courses. You don't know what you are wishing away. Pls aclm down and atop reasoning like Boko Haram.

owobokiri:
This is costly compared to the cost of biulding such elsewhere. . By the time we are through with biulding power stations in this country, we would have spent over 100 billion dollars to generate 4000 megawatts of power.

Many things go under project capital cost sir. You can't be sure until you see the breakdown. Most times, associated infrastructure, consultancy/supervision, and logistics make such costs swell especially in low developed environment like ours.

AgreatMan:
I hate nuclear plants, nigeria is too reckless for such ventures.
we shd emulate our sister, president merkel of West Ger-ma-ni who is decommissioning all her nuclear plants.
btw, $20B for 5000mw and we have to till 2035. These russians must be high on vodka that is mixed with ondo ogogoro.

It is natural reaction to "hate" new ideas. Please calm down and adapt to change sir. Lol

Comparing Nigeria energy policy to Germany's is like comparing a poor man that has family of 12 and earning #18k minimum wage with Osun State ( :p ) and idle house wife to a senior manager in Schlumberger with a senior bank manager wife and two kids on choices of food: one has better options than the other.

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 17, 2015
He should build it in the DAURA for crying out loud

2 Likes

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 17, 2015
homerac7:
Aaaargh! Too much ignorance here !

Read again, it is a BOOT arrangement, meaning it will be built , owned, operated by the Russians before being transferred to Nigeria after a stipulated period.

Scientists don't maintain plants, technicians[b][/b] do.

My brother, its wise to understand people before you talk rather than pouring out insult. I sure won't speak to you in same Manner because you sound childish.

One quick point against urs. Ajaokuta steel company was built and managed by Russia, it was booming, employed over 150,000 people. Today, its managed by Indians, its completely dead and the workforce is less than 3000. They're struggling to resuscitate it nevertheless, but the rot is massive.

So when the Nuclear plants are transferred to Nigerians, 30years after what will happen? Think about the future before you defend the indefensible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by major466(m): 9:15am On Jun 17, 2015
The technology involved in Nuclear power plant is highly advanced. It will take more than 30 years for Nigeria to reach the desired capacity to handle a Nuclear power station.

The risk associated with these technologies are life threatening with severe consequencies, not only to humans but the environment. The biggest risk of all is not even the power plant itself, - it is the WASTE. How are we going to handle nuclear waste Where are they going to be disposed Nuclear waste especially Plutonium are very harmful substances with dangerous consequences when accidentally exposed to the environment. To make matters worse, they can be use to make nuclear weapons. Is it a good idea to venture into Nuclear power with these associated security risk even as we faced security challenge like Terrorism What if terrorist get hold of nuclear waste or decide to bomb the facility as part of their terror campaign What happens
Its important we understand that a nuclear termination as a result of accident or natural disaster will render the location and surrounding areas unhabitable for more than 100 years! Which means that thousands of people in that area will have to abandon their lands and be evacuated to another area. Are we ready for that kind of challenge (God forbid) if it happens The risk far outweights the advantages.

The fact that Japan and Germany are having a rethink about Nuclear Power plants calls for concern.
Instead of nuclear power, Nigeria should spread her tentacles to coal, hydro, gas, wind and thermal power plants as credible alternatives.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by CSTR2: 9:18am On Jun 17, 2015
$20b is a ripoff.
China built the biggest dam in the world with that same amount.
Btw, why are they siting it in akwaibom?
Akwaibom is the home of gas, water and tropical beauties.
The only electricity infrastructure built there should be gas plants and dams.
Nuclear power plants are a bad idea.
We just can't maintain it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 17, 2015
Nuclear power is a bad idea. We can come up with better things.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar's Daughter Marries Aminu Sani Bello, As He Shares Her Photo / FFK: If Buhari Finds Oil In The North, He Will Call For Nigeria To Split / Ize-Iyamu Casts His Vote In Ongoing Edo APC Primaries (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.