Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba (15434 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Abagworo(m): 1:58pm On Jun 20, 2015
Ojiofor:
I wonder what onye ihu abuo like you would have said if the likes of FFK,Fayose,Abati and Okupe were to be Igbos who led the verbal attacks against Buhari and the North but of course you won't hold it against them cos they are not Igbo..
Tell your Ikwerre kinsman(hopeathand)to stop contaminating every Igbo/Biafra thread with his Ikwerre stupidity.

You still do not get. Ordinary Igbos on Nairaland, FB and twitter were spoiling for war thereby giving an impression of all Igbos being involved while the opposing Igbo voices like mine and many others were threatened by fellow Igbos or called Hausa and Yoruba man. It is no different from what is happening on this thread and elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Macelliot(m): 2:05pm On Jun 20, 2015
Abagworo:

You have no right to insult Igbos because of few uninformed or misguided people. Sometimes I wonder why Igbos bring hate on themselves with their uninformed utterances. The Ikwerre issue should have been settled long ago but yet it is not. During last election they were everywhere abusing Hausa, Yoruba and every Nigerian that rooted for change but you would hardly see Ijaw people or even Otuoke/Ogbia people threatening Nigerians or acting antisocial.

Igbos are defined more by language and Ikwerre falls in that fold but on a closer look differences abound especialy in self belief to allegiance. The friction was always there but reached threshold during the Biafran attempted secession. Ikwerre is a different ethnic group hence you "hopeathand" should let Igbos be. There are Igbos in Rivers State at ONELGA, Omuma and Oyigbo.
tell the irrelevant hopeathand to get off from this thread.. The king never mentioned Ikwerre...

Ikwerres bring troubles upon themselves...

Apart from faceless forums, Has an Igbo man tagged the Ikwerres as Igbos in presence of "Ikwerre gathering"? = NO..
Has any Ikwerre Man call himself an Igbo in presence of "Igbo gathering"? = YES.

2 Likes

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Ojiofor: 2:20pm On Jun 20, 2015
Double post.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by coolitempa(f): 2:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
Hopeathand.........I agree with u...it is wrong for ibos to call ikwere....ibo.....they r diff......the obi is only playing politic.... angry

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Ojiofor: 2:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
Abagworo:

You still do not get. Ordinary Igbos on Nairaland, FB and twitter were spoiling for war thereby giving an impression of all Igbos being involved while the opposing Igbo voices like mine and many others were threatened by fellow Igbos or called Hausa and Yoruba man. It is no different from what is happening on this thread and elsewhere.
I think you are the one who does not seems to get it.You can never be the only wise man in your community while the rest are foolish....it's either you are part of your community or you are not simple.
People like you always like to dwell on every single mistake made by Ndigbo to justify your hatred and anti Igbo stand while condoning worst atrocities from other ethnic groups.

Imagine what people like you would have said/done if Ndigbo were the force behind BH .
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by HopeAtHand: 4:21pm On Jun 20, 2015
Macelliot:

tell the irrelevant hopeathand to get off from this thread.. The king never mentioned Ikwerre...

Ikwerres bring troubles upon themselves...

Apart from faceless forums, Has an Igbo man tagged the Ikwerres as Igbos in presence of "Ikwerre gathering"? = NO..
Has any Ikwerre Man call himself an Igbo in presence of "Igbo gathering"? = YES.

Do Igbos have the nerve to come into an Ikwerre gathering and say Ikwerres are Igbos....Nope.

You'll have to excuse one delusional fellow called Amaechi who was selling the candidacy of Buhari..He can say anything for politics.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by HopeAtHand: 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
Ojiofor:
I think you are the one who does not seems to get it.You can never be the only wise man in your community while the rest are foolish....it's either you are part of your community or you are not simple.
People like you always like to dwell on every single mistake made by Ndigbo to justify your hatred and anti Igbo stand while condoning worst atrocities from other ethnic groups.

Imagine what people like you would have said/done if Ndigbo were the force behind BH .

Abagworo is an Igbo guy who says the truth always, no matter who it pains or soothes..if the community is doing something wrong, he must not join them because a day of reckoning shall come and his stance shall vindicate him..Aknowledge him for always standing for truth, justice , fairness and equality.

If you are looking for someone to engage, be my guest..anyhow you want it, i am game.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by ChinenyeN(m): 4:56pm On Jun 20, 2015
I'm having somewhat of a difficult time deciding if it is the topic that is unnecessarily dumb, or if it is you all who are being unnecessarily foolish, or both.

And I'm actually blown away that people are still trying to rob others of their 'Igboness' here on NL after all these years. Akanu m..
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Ojiofor: 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Abagworo is an Igbo guy who says the truth always, no matter who it pains or soothes..if the community is doing something wrong, he must not join them because a day of reckoning shall come and his stance shall vindicate him..Aknowledge him for always standing for truth, justice , fairness and equality.

If you are looking for someone to engage, be my guest..anyhow you want it, i am game.
Sorry I don't need your information on who is Igbo or not cos by their fruit you shall know them.I don't have to engage you in anything concerning Igbo matter because you are not one And please stay out of my mention with your Ikwerre madness on every Igbo thread.....some of us don't care if they exist or not.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:56pm On Jun 20, 2015
PastorPLC:
We don't need Ikwerre to be part of us. They are not good in anything. They cannot be found in science and technology and they are also not good in sports. They have little oil but they boast because Igbos developed Port Harcourt for them. If oil dries tomorrow, they are finished. So, I see no reason to attach people who will be liabilities to Igbos.

The Igbos in the South East and Asaba are endowed with science and technology, but other Igbo speaking communities in South-south are dullard like Yorubas. Let them go to hell because we don't need them except Asaba.

I don't think you're brilliant either or at least, your write-up does not suggest so. Why Yoruba in what is supposed to be strictly Igbo affairs? There can only be one reason why you mentioned Yoruba in your write up- inferiority issue! You developed Port-harcourt for the Ikweres just like you developed Lagos for the Yorubas and very soon, Kano will become a no-man's-land too. You are truly great! Yorubas are dullard ? Unfortunately for you,the rest of the world don't think so,good evening !

2 Likes

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by darfay: 11:12pm On Jun 20, 2015
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 11:23am On Jun 21, 2015
PastorPLC:
We don't need Ikwerre to be part of us. They are not good in anything. They cannot be found in science and technology and they are also not good in sports. They have little oil but they boast because Igbos developed Port Harcourt for them. If oil dries tomorrow, they are finished. So, I see no reason to attach people who will be liabilities to Igbos.

The Igbos in the South East and Asaba are endowed with science and technology, but other Igbo speaking communities in South-south are dullard like Yorubas. Let them go to hell because we don't need them except Asaba.

Keep on ranting this way.... And watch your kinsmen move farther away from you.
Edos are Yorubas, Ikwerres are Yorubas, Itsekiris are definitely Yorubas, Igboid speaking groups in SS are Yorubas.... Who are the next Yorubas? .... maybe Urhobos.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
Drchristian:

We are Yorubas cuz we don't look like all of una. (Odenigbos)
God4bid igbos looking like yorubas do we look ugly to u ppl? undecided
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
meccuno:
The igbos are closely related to people of delta state from agbor.........while the yorubas are closely related to the hausas,fulanis,itsekiris......I guess the line should be drawn from this emphasis.....the igbos and yorubas have nothing in common.....religion,tradition,culture........the igbos are related with the people of the south south with the exclusion of edo state.....they are more like the yorubas

Edo people are their own entity.. stop claiming that they are like the Yorubas.... The only group in Edo State that even bears a slight similarity with the Yorubas is Bini.... the Esans, Etsakos, Owans and others have no connection with Yoruba so stop spouting nonsense.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Chiaka(f): 8:46am On Jun 22, 2015
emekachimek:

They are not. I've never even seen them as one. Being Igbo is genetic, and not regional or language orientation. Your ability to speak Igbo language doesn't make you Igbo. Pls stop calling them Igbo. Themselves don't even want to be regarded as Igbo. So, to your tents o' Israel

Who called them Ibos?? said close culture, etc keep having sleepless nights over Igbos
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 23, 2015
aim5:

Edo people are their own entity.. stop claiming that they are like the Yorubas.... The only group in Edo State that even bears a slight similarity with the Yorubas is Bini.... the Esans, Etsakos, Owans and others have no connection with Yoruba so stop spouting nonsense.
igbo boy, stop trying to cliam land dat is not urs... edo is part of yoruba land. grin
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 6:17am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:

igbo boy, stop trying to cliam land dat is not urs... edo is part of yoruba land. grin

I'm not igbo. I'm esan. I don't know why Yoruba people spout their ignorance and stupidity for the world to see. Edo people for the most part have their own unique look and culture and if anything, Edos(especially Esans) resemble Igbos/other Southeastern Nigerians more than Yorubas in terms of skin complexion and physical appearance.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 6:38am On Jun 23, 2015
aim5:

I'm not igbo. I'm esan. I don't know why Yoruba people spout their ignorance and stupidity for the world to see. Edo people for the most part have their own unique look and culture and if anything, Edos(especially Esans) resemble Igbos/other Southeastern Nigerians more than Yorubas in terms of skin complexion and physical appearance.

I still don't understand where this whole Idea of Yoruba overall looks comes from.... There is no monolithic look for all Yorubas. An Ilaje or an Akoko man is not the same as an Egba or Igbomina man.
If Esans or Edos are so Unique looking please post me a crowd picture of Esan people here please.... and show me the unique differences they claim to have ..... Y'all claim to be different, but guess what.. to Europeans, there are no differences at all, Not even slight difference......

Aren't these Esan people singing over here? Please What is so unique about their looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw8HZ79z3QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YksvJ0gQTGM

Note: I am not claiming Edos are Yorubas, I am just telling you not to let the whole Yoruba stereotype thing mostly perpetuated by some Igbos get into your head. But if being Dark African is a crime, then so be it... Yorubas are proud to be dark...
I guess Once I cross Asaba, all I would start seeing is Yellow People ..... damn, the 85% Dark skinned igbos I see all around must feel so bad about themselves, for not being "Yellow"

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by tonychristopher: 7:31am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

Keep on ranting this way.... And watch your kinsmen move farther away from you.
Edos are Yorubas, Ikwerres are Yorubas, Itsekiris are definitely Yorubas, Igboid speaking groups in SS are Yorubas.... Who are the next Yorubas? .... maybe Urhobos.

They said urhobo are Yoruba also..they claim igala they claim nupe they claim ijaw ilaje they said awori are Yoruba

In short everybody seems to be oduduwa (whoever he is) is Yoruba
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 7:48am On Jun 23, 2015
tonychristopher:

They said urhobo are Yoruba also..they claim igala they claim nupe they claim ijaw ilaje they said awori are Yoruba

In short everybody seems to be oduduwa (whoever he is) is Yoruba

loool..... I understand where you are coming from, BUT i also understand where they are coming from.
All those tribes you mentioned are all ethnic groups that have strong relationships with the Yoruba.

According to Yoruba legend, the ruling Omo n'oba dynasty are scions of Oduduwa.... not to mention that a lot of Edos actually do speak Yoruba and bear Yoruba names...look at Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga that was born in Owan East LGA of Edo state for example..... About 5 or 6 LGA's in Edo bear strong Yoruba affiliations.
If you go to Ondo state for example, The Arogbo and the Apoi Ijaws have almost completely blended into Yoruba culture... same is true for a lot of Ijaw groups sandwiched between Itsekiris of Delta and Ilajes / Ikales of Ondo.

Itsekiris and Igalas are Yoruboid language speaking groups...Normally, you can't gossip using Yoruba in their presence (like 40-50 of your secrets will be known, lol), and They pick up Yoruba with ease once they visit the west.... And if a Yoruba strain their ears hard enough, they will grasp a lot of Igala and most especially Itsekiri speech.
Nupe and Yoruba are neighbors... Go to Kwara and Parts of Kogi..... Nupes there have been 'Yorubalized"
Aworis are Yorubas.... However Eguns of Badagry and environs are not. (but even the Eguns have been culturally assimilated as well)
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

I still don't understand where this whole Idea of Yoruba overall looks comes from.... There is no monolithic look for all Yorubas. An Ilaje or an Akoko man is not the same as an Egba or Igbomina man.
If Esans or Edos are so Unique looking please post me a crowd picture of Esan people here please.... and show me the unique differences they claim to have ..... Y'all claim to be different, but guess what.. to Europeans, there are no differences at all, Not even slight difference......

Aren't these Esan people singing over here? Please What is so unique about their looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw8HZ79z3QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YksvJ0gQTGM

Note: I am not claiming Edos are Yorubas, I am just telling you not to let the whole Yoruba stereotype thing mostly perpetuated by some Igbos get into your head. But if being Dark African is a crime, then so be it... Yorubas are proud to be dark...
I guess Once I cross Asaba, all I would start seeing is Yellow People ..... damn, the 85% Dark skinned igbos I see all around must feel so bad about themselves, for not being "Yellow"
lol... yoruba stereotype thing being perpetuated by igbos, der is nothing they won't blame igbos for, proof they wud never produce ... stop claiming land dat is not urs go back to ur poverty stricken village.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:28am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:
lol... yoruba stereotype thing being perpetuated by igbos, der is nothing they won't blame igbos for, proof they wud never produce ... stop claiming land dat is not urs go back to ur poverty stricken village.

lol..... Was I addressing you, Mr?
And I can bet my guts that my "Village" is far richer than urs. ...
Not to mention the fact that There are more people from ur village in mine, than mine in Yours.
So what are you yapping about?

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

loool..... I understand where you are coming from, BUT i also understand where they are coming from.
All those tribes you mentioned are all ethnic groups that have strong relationships with the Yoruba.

According to Yoruba legend, the ruling Omo n'oba dynasty are scions of Oduduwa.... not to mention that a lot of Edos actually do speak Yoruba and bear Yoruba names...look at Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga that was born in Owan East LGA of Edo state for example..... About 5 or 6 LGA's in Edo bear strong Yoruba affiliations.
If you go to Ondo state for example, The Arogbo and the Apoi Ijaws have almost completely blended into Yoruba culture... same is true for a lot of Ijaw groups sandwiched between Itsekiris of Delta and Ilajes / Ikales of Ondo.

Itsekiris and Igalas are Yoruboid language speaking groups...Normally, you can't gossip using Yoruba in their presence (like 40-50 of your secrets will be known, lol), and They pick up Yoruba with ease once they visit the west.... And if a Yoruba strain their ears hard enough, they will grasp a lot of Igala and most especially Itsekiri speech.
Nupe and Yoruba are neighbors... Go to Kwara and Parts of Kogi..... Nupes there have been 'Yorubalized"
Aworis are Yorubas.... However Eguns of Badagry and environs are not. (but even the Eguns have been culturally assimilated as well)
Edo people who only bear yoruba names but dont speak der language is Yoruba, but igbo people in d ss who bear igbo names, and have almost similar language with igbos but with minor difference are not igbo's...lol'''' Yoruba man ur sense no reach.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:31am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:
Edo people who only bear yoruba names but dont speak der language is Yoruba, but igbo people in d ss who bear igbo names, and have almost similar language with igbos but with minor difference are not igbo's...lol'''' Yoruba man ur sense no reach.

You are Ill Upstairs.
What part of my speech mentioned anything about igbos or Igbo related groups....?
I think your insecurities about yourself & your neighbors are beginning to surface on this thread.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

lol..... Was I addressing you, Mr?
And I can bet my guts that my "Village" is far richer than urs. ...
Not to mention the fact that There are more people from ur village in mine, than mine in Yours.
So what are you yapping about?
LoL.... yes we know, d same way u say Igbo's are perpetuating propaganda dat u can never proove. I know u want to tell me ur village is Lagos smiley... so am not surprised.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:33am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:

LoL.... yes we know, d same way u say Igbo's are perpetuating propaganda dat u can never proove. I know u want to tell me ur village is Lagos smiley... so am not surprised.

Keep asking for "proof" like a blind man... while all the real facts fly past you.
My Village is still richer than yours..... Take it, or go drink chloroform smiley
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

You are Ill Upstairs.
What part of my speech mentioned anything about igbos or Igbo related groups....?
I think your insecurities about yourself & your neighbors are beginning to surface on this thread.
Tell dat to ur Yoruba brothers who keep jerking off over igbo issues.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:35am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:

Tell dat to ur Yoruba brothers who keep jerking off over igbo issues.

You are addressing me, not them...
No wonder you people fail exams ....

btw: Both groups wan.k to each other's threads...
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

You are addressing me, not them...
No wonder you people fail exams ....

btw: Both groups wan.k to each other's threads...
ok now pls explain dz statement ;
Yoruba stereotype thing mostly perpetuated by some Igbos get into your head.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:48am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:
ok now pls explain dz statement ;
Yoruba stereotype thing mostly perpetuated by some Igbos get into your head.

Some Igbos are the ones who call themselves Yellow (who else does?), and call others, including Yorubas dark, And I have seen other Igbos reprimand them for it, and ask them to be careful about their utterances.
If you deny it, ehn ......
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

Some Igbos are the ones who call themselves Yellow (who else does?), and call others, including Yorubas dark, And I have seen other Igbos reprimand them for it, and ask them to be careful about their utterances.
If you deny it, ehn ......
Those other igbos that reprimand dem for it are hausas now, right...
Me am igbo, but am dark of skin.
I ve known a delta gal who always thought I was yoruba because according to her igbos no dae dark like dz, so d delta gal dat said it is speaking for herself, while d oda igbos dat said it is speaking for d whole igbos.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:54am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:

Those other igbos that reprimand dem for it are hausas now, right...
Me am igbo, but am dark of skin.

I ve known a delta gal who always thought I was yoruba because according to her igbos no dae dark like dz, so d delta gal dat said it is speaking for herself, while d oda igbos dat said it is speaking for d whole igbos.

So, you missed the entire "SOME" part of the entire discussion .... ?
Eeehya.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hii! Vot For This Half Kenyan/nigerian Girlll Miss--competition / The Idea Of A Strong Black Woman / Ukwuani People, This Is For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.