Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,633 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba (15380 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

So, you missed the entire "SOME" part of the entire discussion .... ?
Eeehya.
d same way some igbos it, Dats how some people from oda tribes are also saying, it then y single out igbos?
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:58am On Jun 23, 2015
lygn19:
d same way some igbos it, Dats how some people from oda tribes are also saying, it then y single out igbos?

Because the Igbos who say it, are more than the others who say it. Or are Igbos and small Deltan tribes like Isokos now the same in numbers?
Simple logic.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by pazienza(m): 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Abagworo is an Igbo guy who says the truth always, no matter who it pains or soothes..if the community is doing something wrong, he must not join them because a day of reckoning shall come and his stance shall vindicate him..Aknowledge him for always standing for truth, justice , fairness and equality.

If you are looking for someone to engage, be my guest..anyhow you want it, i am game.

Abagworo is not an Igboman. Stop the joke already.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by HopeAtHand: 6:07pm On Jun 23, 2015
pazienza:

Abagworo is not an Igboman. Stop the joke already.
If Abagworo isnt Igbo, then wherever he comes from, you come from also.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2015
scholes0:

I still don't understand where this whole Idea of Yoruba overall looks comes from.... There is no monolithic look for all Yorubas. An Ilaje or an Akoko man is not the same as an Egba or Igbomina man.
If Esans or Edos are so Unique looking please post me a crowd picture of Esan people here please.... and show me the unique differences they claim to have ..... Y'all claim to be different, but guess what.. to Europeans, there are no differences at all, Not even slight difference......

Aren't these Esan people singing over here? Please What is so unique about their looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw8HZ79z3QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YksvJ0gQTGM

Note: I am not claiming Edos are Yorubas, I am just telling you not to let the whole Yoruba stereotype thing mostly perpetuated by some Igbos get into your head. But if being Dark African is a crime, then so be it... Yorubas are proud to be dark...
I guess Once I cross Asaba, all I would start seeing is Yellow People ..... damn, the 85% Dark skinned igbos I see all around must feel so bad about themselves, for not being "Yellow"

Ah, guy. First off, I never perpetuated the stereotype that all Yorubas are black as night. There is a Yoruba man that is good friends with my father and he is medium brown in skin tone while one of his daughters is light brown, so I'd be foolish to just sit here and claim that all Yorubas are one tone. And I'm not insinuating that the vast majority of Igbos and Edos are fair.. Anyways this topic is primarily about the Igbos so keep it moving and squash this useless debate.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by scholes0(m): 8:16pm On Jun 23, 2015
aim5:

Ah, guy. First off, I never perpetuated the stereotype that all Yorubas are black as night. There is a Yoruba man that is good friends with my father and he is medium brown in skin tone while one of his daughters is light brown, so I'd be foolish to just sit here and claim that all Yorubas are one tone. And I'm not insinuating that the vast majority of Igbos and Edos are fair.. Anyways this topic is primarily about the Igbos so keep it moving and squash this useless debate.

See him trying to act all innocent now....
Please, you still haven't shown me the Esan look you were talking about.... And how it is different from the Yoruba look.
because that was exactly what you said in the post i quoted.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Macelliot(m): 5:19pm On Jun 24, 2015
Many people Wan die upon Igbo matter, Why?
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 19, 2015
HopeAtHand:
The Obi of Asaba should speak on behalf of his constituency.He cannot speak for Rivers State.

If the people of Oyigbo are tired of being called Rivers people, they can swim across the Imo River into Abia state.

Obi of Asaba should speak for himself..he should stop talkong like a fool.

Listen they will not swim anywhere. .
They will remove their ancestral territories out of ur Rivers state.
You people think it is like when the Fulani forced plateau Tiv people out of their ancestral land in Plateau state n they just left without saying anything and the other people of Plateau were so happy that now they have Tiv land(thanks to the Fulani)
Then the same Fulani went to Nasarawa state and tried to force Nasarawa Tiv people from their ancestral land too but this time Nasarawa Tiv were ready for them and murdered them.
Then they went behind and tried to bribe the other Nasarawa indigenes to help them pursue Nasarawa Tiv but the other Nasarawa indigenes were wiser than Plateau indigenes and refused.
They said that Nasarawa Tiv are their christian brothers and that if they chase them out by aiding the Fulani that the same Fulani will turn around tomorrow and murder them.
They refused to do so and since then the Tiv have been a strong base for the other minority tribes.
What the Fulani do is that when they come to a place they conquer the strongest tribe first and then devour other smaller tribes later.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Kirigidi(m): 10:13pm On Nov 19, 2015
Duru1:

Origin ascertained through distorted historical facts is like building a foundation on sandy soil. The jackasses did not know that Ikwerre as written to today is heavily Anglicized. They moronically calmed to have descended from Akalaka (Akaraka), the birth lines on someone's palm, but such terminology has no place in Benin vernacular. None of the goons knew the meaning of Isiokpo, the acclaimed ancestral home of Akalaka (Akaraka), yet they make fool of themselves at any given opportunity. I had wished the people of Bakassi had the opportunity to rewrite history too.
U lied! Akalaka has a strong meanin in Edo language, espcialy in Urhobo. Do u knw dat d ancient name of Bini land/kngdom is "AKA"? D name "EDO" is of later origin. Til date, d commonest name we Urhobo/Isoko pipo call d Binis nd dia lands is AKA. D name EDO is not familiar to us. AKALAKA or AKANAKA in Edo language means Aka pipo frm Aka land. Som Urhobo/Isoko clans trace origin to Elele/Ikwerre.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
Kirigidi:
U lied! Akalaka has a strong meanin in Edo language, espcialy in Urhobo. Do u knw dat d ancient name of Bini land/kngdom is "AKA"? D name "EDO" is of later origin. Til date, d commonest name we Urhobo/Isoko pipo call d Binis nd dia lands is AKA. D name EDO is not familiar to us. AKALAKA or AKANAKA in Edo language means Aka pipo frm Aka land. Som Urhobo/Isoko clans trace origin to Elele/Ikwerre.

Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Kirigidi(m): 2:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
Radoillo:

Interesting.
One thing I hav com to undastnd is dat, language is dynamic nd shuldn't b d main perimeter for determinin origin of a pipo. Many ancient languages hav died out or gone extinct due to influences of far superior languages on them. For exmple, Northrn Nigeria is made up of hundreds of ethnic groups or languages, but today d Hausa language (due to its superior influence) has virtualy replaced d rest languages as d sole langua-franca of d north. D history of d Urhobo/Isoko clans of Evwreni nd Emede tell of migratn journey frm AKA LAND (BINI LAND) to Elele in Ikwerre where they settled for years b4 later movin north-west ward to dia present locatns in Urhobo/Isoko homeland. Names such as Rumu, Emowhua, etc, in Ikwerre land ar somtimes thought to b of Edoid origin. D period frm 15th to 18th centuries witnessd d outward migratn or spread of Igbo pipo into lands of dia neighbors, where d Igbo language ova-shadowd d original languages of dia hosts, e.g. Ika.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by patrick89(m): 12:39pm On Dec 07, 2015
Kirigidi:
One thing I hav com to undastnd is dat, language is dynamic nd shuldn't b d main perimeter for determinin origin of a pipo. Many ancient languages hav died out or gone extinct due to influences of far superior languages on them. For exmple, Northrn Nigeria is made up of hundreds of ethnic groups or languages, but today d Hausa language (due to its superior influence) has virtualy replaced d rest languages as d sole langua-franca of d north. D history of d Urhobo/Isoko clans of Evwreni nd Emede tell of migratn journey frm AKA LAND (BINI LAND) to Elele in Ikwerre where they settled for years b4 later movin north-west ward to dia present locatns in Urhobo/Isoko homeland. Names such as Rumu, Emowhua, etc, in Ikwerre land ar somtimes thought to b of Edoid origin. D period frm 15th to 18th centuries witnessd d outward migratn or spread of Igbo pipo into lands of dia neighbors, where d Igbo language ova-shadowd d original languages of dia hosts, e.g. Ika.
Mr man stop writing trash! edo is state not a people!! Keep lying to yourself
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Kirigidi(m): 4:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
patrick89:

Mr man stop writing trash! edo is state not a people!! Keep lying to yourself
I'm so surprise at ur level of ignorance. So ar u tryin to say dat u don't knw dat "Edo" was d alternative name for d ancient Bini Empire nd its pipo? D modern Edo State was only named afta d ancient Edo Empire. I suggest u go study history properly to enlighten urself wit knwledge of events of d pasts.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Donarozzi: 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2015
Kirigidi:

Kirigidi, you are trying so hard to rewrite history. "Emowhua" is a wrong spelling. The correct spelling is "Emuoha" which is the name of a community in the Ikwerre area of Igboland. Emuoha is derived from "Emu + Oha" two Igbo words, similar to the many "Oha" names in the Owerri/Ngwa/Etche areas of Igboland. Secondly, people know that the Urhobo/Isoko clans of Igbide, Enhwe, Evwreni and Emede originated from Igboland. So, do not deceive yourself with your baseless agenda.
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Kirigidi(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
Donarozzi:

Kirigidi, you are trying so hard to rewrite history. "Emowhua" is a wrong spelling. The correct spelling is "Emuoha" which is the name of a community in the Ikwerre area of Igboland. Emuoha is derived from "Emu + Oha" two Igbo words, similar to the many "Oha" names in the Owerri/Ngwa/Etche areas of Igboland. Secondly, people know that the Urhobo/Isoko clans of Igbide, Enhwe, Evwreni and Emede originated from Igboland. So, do not deceive yourself with your baseless agenda.
But do u agree wit me dat language is very dynamic nd can b alterd completly by strong influences frm anoda language? Dat was wat happend in Ikaland nd Ndokwaland wich receivd large influx of Igbo migrants btw d 14th nd 19th cnturies durin wich d Igbo lnguage seriously alterd d original Edoid lnguages of dese pipo. As prove, do u knw dat d Igbo lnguage is already threatenin d Urhobo language in Arhagba town to d extnt dat many of d natives can't undastnd or speak Urhobo, but speak Igbo well?
Re: Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
Na dem sabi.

Let no christian tribe ever look up to Igbo from henceforth in any case of Islamic incursion again in this country.
Shebi all of una don dey deny us abi?
Don't worry we all will be Islamized one day n all our future generations will turn out as terrorists.

As for Britain they put us in this wahala and may our future terrorist prone Islamic children be a thorn in their flesh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland / Emir Sanusi Celebrates 2 Years In Power / Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.