Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,723 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. (43150 Views)

Interesting Facts About Ibadan / Things You Might Not Know About Ibadan City / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ThisMeansWAR: 5:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Lies
People renovate their houses periodically where I come from. 50-60% is too way off the mark
lmao.. So people change their roofing sheet every 2 years where you come from.. Smh
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ThisMeansWAR: 5:21pm On Jun 19, 2015
Macelliot:

I disagree...
Here in Obosi, Anambra state..
It's difficult to spot a bungalow, let to say zinc house or rusty roof...

Buildings here are clustered and is 4, 5, 6 story building and above...
obosi is a new settlement... Is every area in Anambra like that..

My settlement here in bodies Ibadan.. You will hardly see bungalow or roof with zinc...
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:23pm On Jun 19, 2015
Twistaray:

Exactly my point.
You want proof of brown roof in anambra?

And besides you can not compare the size of ibadan which is up to the size of the SE put together.

Ibandan tends to absorb more while anambra less with more visible development due to her size.

It doesn't make sense to litter a city with outdated houses. Houses should be renovated as needed. I know houses built 60 years ago in the east with new roofs or repainted walls. That way, the oldness of the house doesn't get too obvious
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by nkemdi89(f): 5:24pm On Jun 19, 2015
3 bedroom flat in town is 60k a year which can not even rent a room in owerri. Cheap green taxi at 20naira a drop. Sasha, dugbe cocoa house and orita challenge.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ribbit: 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2015
Macelliot:

I disagree...
Here in Obosi, Anambra state..
It's difficult to spot a bungalow, let to say zinc house or rusty roof...

Buildings here are clustered and is 4, 5, 6 story building and above...
stop lying

that's one of the old settlements in anambra ..

that's even onitsha .. pride of the east grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2015
ThisMeansWAR:
obosi is a new settlement... Is every area in Anambra like that..

My settlement here in bodies Ibadan.. You will hardly see bungalow or roof with zinc...

Do you realize that obosi is not the capital, Ibadan should do better .
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Twistaray(m): 5:27pm On Jun 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

It doesn't make sense to litter a city with outdated houses. Houses should be renovated as needed. I know houses built 60 years ago in the east with new roofs or repainted walls. That way, the oldness of the house doesn't get too obvious

And if that's been done in ibadan as well you expect it to be as visible/obvious like it is with anambra considering the size of ibadan. Which close to the whole of SE put together undecided undecided?

You still don't get
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by BobUg28(m): 5:28pm On Jun 19, 2015
I haven't been to Ibadan before so my opinion doesn't count much on this.

***silently walks out of thread***
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by BobUg28(m): 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2015
searching4lovee:
IGBOS ARE GUILTY OF THIS

Which part in Igbo land are you attributing it to??
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ThisMeansWAR: 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Do you realize that obosi is not the capital, Ibadan should do better .
what are you talking about? That's how to judge a city.. Old bad bad settlement and new settlement.. . New York as an example has Manhattan with all the sky scrappers and stuff and at the same time has Queens and some part of new Jersey etc which are old and eye sore..
Lagos has vi, Ajah, lekki and at thesame time has mushin, aajegunle maroko etc.

South Africa has Johannesburg and at the same time soweto...

Do you expect the entire Ibadan to be an Eldoradoor what?

Even Abuja with all the maitamas still has its guagualada...

Not everyone can afford to live nice areas in a particular city.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2015
Twistaray:

And if that's been done in ibadan as well you expect it to be as visible/obvious like it is with anambra considering the size of ibadan. Which close to the whole of SE put together undecided undecided?

You still don't get
So, people don't renovate houses there because the town is large? No, its attitude. You don't just litter a city with old houses , it makes it look rustic.
In Ibadan, all the old houses are still occupied, so it's not as if the houses are left for new ones.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by donodion(m): 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2015
DollyParton1:
But really Ibadan people can abuse ehn. Chai!!
grin grin grin I know city and settlements of Ibadan very well and you are correct.
Ibadan people are courteous,accommodating,social yet 'yabis' is a norm.grin grin The only Yoruba tribe that will abuse You,yet You will be reeling with laughter with their different adjectival phrasesgrin grin grin.There is always an object to relate their yabis with.
I remembered one young Ibadan hawker insult a taxi driver (pronounced taa-seen) ,the driver was at fault but passed a rude remark at the yr young girl..only her to reply " Woju bi ina beetle " meaning hes got eyeballs the size of Volkswagen beetle's headlamps

Also they talk a lot..chai chai chai..Ibadan indigenes are cool people to be with.

Now if you think Ibadan people have funny accents,try Ijeshas or Ijebus.grin grin grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by emmansy(m): 5:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
I served in ibadan, inside the polytechnic to be precise.... I enjoyed every moments of experience I had in ibadan... Visiting dugbe mall every thrice a week, and other exciting places to be.... The only thing I can say is that ibadan people likes Amala so much.. And I also enjoy seeing them having arguments, the scenario is always hilarious cos of there accent..
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ribbit: 5:39pm On Jun 19, 2015
emmansy:
I served in ibadan, inside the polytechnic to be precise.... I enjoyed every moments of experience I had in ibadan... Visiting dugbe mall every thrice a week, and other exciting places to be.... The only thing I can say is that ibadan people likes Amala so much.. And I also enjoy seeing them having arguments, the scenario is always hilarious cos of there accent..
i love amala kiss
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Twistaray(m): 5:40pm On Jun 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

So, people don't renovate houses there because the town is large? No, its attitude. You don't just litter a city with old houses , it makes it look rustic.
In Ibadan, all the old houses are still occupied, so it's not as if the houses are left for new ones.

Cheii
This is one of the reason why I don't enjoy engaging anambra fellows. grin
You still don't get my point.

Isn't it obvious that what's been done is your tiny anambra is happening is ibandan?

People move/migrate from place to place, move from a place to a better one.
Until you can prove me wrong that what's been done in anambra isn't been done in ibadan whatever you say is base on assumption grin

Nigeria is development mr, not developed abeg grin
Still don't get? undecided

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
Twistaray:

Cheii
This is one of the reason why I don't enjoy engaging anambra fellows. grin
You still don't get my point.

Isn't it obvious that what's been done is your tiny anambra is happening is ibandan?

People move/migrate from place to place, move from a place to a better one.
Until you can prove me wrong that what's been done in anambra isn't been done in anambra whatever you say is base on assumption grin

Nigeria is development mr, not developed abeg grin
Still don't get? undecided
The bigger a city is, the more developed it should be if there is population . Oyo receives more allocations than anambra.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by eleshin(m): 5:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
I served in IB and I had lots of funny experiences. Very cool and cheap city to stay and yes, Ibadan is very dull for a typical Gidi boy like me. I learnt how to eat amala from Iya Ope (Apata), iya kisun (Sango), and Iya Dunni (Challenge). They are very lazy tho, they open shops by 9-10am.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Twistaray(m): 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

The bigger a city is, the more developed it should be if there is population . Oyo receives more allocations than anambra.

And then what?
Did Oyo paid you a visit and tells you its not developing ni undecided

Guy, guy, you are boring me abeg grin

Get offline and see things for yaaaa self

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by eleshin(m): 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
nkemdi89:
3 bedroom flat in town is 60k a year which can not even rent a room in owerri. Cheap green taxi at 20naira a drop. Sasha, dugbe cocoa house and orita challenge.
You know you just lied? As at 2013 that I finished my service two of my friends got theirs at 250k nd 270k respectively in Mokola. How can you say 3bedroom in IB is 60k?

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by decode55(m): 5:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
obayaya:

FECAMDS - Federation of Catholic Medical and Dental Students
Yeah!
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
For someone like me that has lived in Warri,Asaba,Anambra,PH,lagos and Ibadan(I schooled at Univ.Ibadan),I feel people Underrate Ibadan too much,cos Ibadan is better than some of these so called "Big"cities..

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by arootech: 6:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
Yes ibadan people are guilty of that.... I can justify my assertion if u doubt me !
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Teespice(f): 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
I used to have several misconceptions about the city.

it took one weekend away from school to change my mind. need I say that I had so much fun, I didn't want to come back to lagos.

I won't even mind relocating there because it's really quiet and economical to live there.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Morayogba(m): 7:30pm On Jun 19, 2015
Ibadan is a city that is very accommodating. Forget about sentiment. Ibadan is one of the Great Cities in Africa. Try and get to Ibadan today you will discover some interesting places to enjoy yourself. To be frank, it is a peaceful place to be and you will love to dwell there.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by DollyParton1(f): 7:38pm On Jun 19, 2015
donodion:

grin grin grin I know city and settlements of Ibadan very well and you are correct.
Ibadan people are courteous,accommodating,social yet 'yabis' is a norm.grin grin The only Yoruba tribe that will abuse You,yet You will be reeling with laughter with their different adjectival phrasesgrin grin grin.There is always an object to relate their yabis with.
I remembered one young Ibadan hawker insult a taxi driver (pronounced taa-seen) ,the driver was at fault but passed a rude remark at the yr young girl..only her to reply " Woju bi ina beetle " meaning hes got eyeballs the size of Volkswagen beetle's headlamps

Also they talk a lot..chai chai chai..Ibadan indigenes are cool people to be with.

Now if you think Ibadan people have funny accents,try Ijeshas or Ijebus.grin grin grin

hahaha. .. "woju bi ina beetle" Lawd!!!!
I shared a room with two Ibadan babes for a year.
Dang!!! Those girls got lines. They got very crazy replies for every statements that has the slightest resemblance to an insult. It got to a point we had to nickname them "Oyo mesi" (Oyo knows the best reply).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Superman11(m): 7:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
searching4lovee:
IGBOS ARE GUILTY OF THIS

na you dey talk your own oo. IGBO people wey like night life flexing like wetin i nor know.... TALK WETIN YOU SABI OO
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by NovusHomo(m): 7:53pm On Jun 19, 2015
DICKtator:
I do know they like amala and gbegiri

And one of their past governor was a model for a bleaching cream!!!!

grin grin grin grin

Governor tiri color na Ogbomosho man o.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by NovusHomo(m): 8:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
BABANGBALI:
Others are,Ibadan girls no dey shave their toto and armpit,dem toto no dey sweet and dem they sleep like a log of wood wen they dey fok dem grin

That "sleep like a log of wood" part na 88% of Nigerian girls whether na for 9ja o, Europe o, and even America o.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Angelou(m): 8:28pm On Jun 19, 2015
shey una know nigerians and their generalisation problem na... If an average nigerian sees a madman 4rm ekiti, he automatically believes that all ekiti indigenes are mad
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by MzThormi(f): 8:29pm On Jun 19, 2015
DollyParton1:

Wee yhu kip kwayet!!! angry angry angry angry angry
Lol. Y are u vexing nah? kiss
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by DOCTORNLIA(m): 8:30pm On Jun 19, 2015
decode55:
I can remember going to ibadan last year for FECAMDS convention despite the Ebola outbreak brouhaha..

Best decision ever grin grin

From the well "stocked" UI zoo, to the vast town and landscape, to the heritage malls, cocoa house(first sky scraper in Nigeria), shopping malls, shoprites, cinemas and the cute females, cheesy
I must say: I really enjoyed myself smiley

Most Med Students I had convos with during the convention were igbos though shocked shocked (I wonder why)

Well, DELSU 2015; here I come wink

Which med school did u come from

Mine is EBSU btw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tear Gas Fired At Ooni Of Ife During Sowore's Visit (PHOTOS) / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch / Alaafin Of Oyo Younger Wife, Ajoke Slays In Arabian Outfit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.