Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent (29465 Views)

Fiance Of Fulani Siddika Sanusi, Emir Sanusi's Daughter, Pictured / African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

You're right, the white Berbers are called arab Berbers, and they speak Arabic and or French. But after that,I disagree with everything else. So if a black man from Congo starts speaking old Norse and praying to Odin and all that....he is suddenly a Viking? Again the same thinking that's plaguing my people today.

LOL I meant as a native language bro not a learned language grin
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
Radoillo:
What is this about 'Semitic' look? There is no Semitic look. Same way there is no Indo-European look. Those are just language groups. The dark-skinned Ethiopian Falasha is every bit as Semitic as the lightest-skinned Saudi.

So true, glad there are others who understand this concept.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

Ahhh! You're cheeky I'll give you that. But do you agree with me on the selling point?

LOL I do agree with you on the selling point.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 8:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

You're right, the white Berbers are called arab Berbers, and they speak Arabic and or French. But after that,I disagree with everything else. So if a black man from Congo starts speaking old Norse and praying to Odin and all that....he is suddenly a Viking? Again the same thinking that's plaguing my people today.

Actually yes. Being a member of an ethnicity is not based on ancestry alone but assimilation and orientation.
If a German was to speak yoruba and worship Orunmila I'll consider him a brother

You seem not to realize that these "white" berbers have more Turkish, Levant and Arab ancestry than original Berber

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 9:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
These are true berbers, the Zenata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMDSHJ8vJw8
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 21, 2015
Radoillo:
What is this about 'Semitic' look? There is no Semitic look. Same way there is no Indo-European look. Those are just language groups. The dark-skinned Ethiopian Falasha is every bit as Semitic as the lightest-skinned Saudi.

First there's no Semitic look, then you went on to describe a certain people as having a Semitic look? The Ethiopian Falashas are jewish by religion, but they look nothing like Semites. I.e (they look nothing like Middle eastern people).
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 9:42pm On Jun 21, 2015
Radoillo:

Really there's no look that defines the whole bulk of any group of people speaking similar languages
Not even a small ethnic group

But when I say a non Semite looks Semetic I mean "having features that can pass you off as a native Semetic speaker eg. Arab"

Falasha Ethiopians might be dark but they aren't as different from a Saudi Arab as you seem to suggest
So you would prefer I maintain better specifics than just " Semitic "?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

Actually yes. Being a member of an ethnicity is not based on ancestry alone but assimilation and orientation.
If a German was to speak yoruba and worship Orunmila I'll consider him a brother

You seem not to realize that these "white" berbers have more Turkish, Levant and Arab ancestry than original Berber

Looool! Clearly we have different views on this. Why is it that some Scandinavians don't practice their Viking cultures but are still ethnic Vikings? It's not about practicing the culture mate, I believe it has everything to do with ancestry.

Again I ask, who are the original Berber and why?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

LOL I meant as a native language bro not a learned language grin

What makes the language you speak your native language?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

What's this about white berbers? I believe if you don't represent the identity of the people then you aren't one of them
Berbers aren't white so there's no such thing as white Berber

Most of them have more non-berber genes in them

Here you contradict yourself. I thought you said it's practice and not genes or ancestry that makes you of an ethnic group?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

First there's no Semitic look, then you went on to describe a certain people as having a Semitic look? The Ethiopian Falashas are jewish by religion, but they look nothing like Semites. I.e (they look nothing like Middle eastern people).

I don't think you understood anything I typed.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

Really there's no look that defines the whole bulk of any group of people speaking similar languages
Not even a small ethnic group

But when I say a non Semite looks Semetic I mean "having features that can pass you off as a native Semetic speaker eg. Arab"

Falasha Ethiopians might be dark but they aren't as different from a Saudi Arab as you seem to suggest
So you would prefer I maintain better specifics than just " Semitic "?

The phrase I would use in this situation is 'Mediterranean look'.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 10:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

What makes the language you speak your native language?

The first language that you speak that you are born with is your native language. The language of the household, the language you learn how to count in first. all of these things consist of what make up a native language.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 10:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
Radoillo:

The phrase I would use in this situation is 'Mediterranean look'.

There you go
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
E
Radoillo:

I don't think you understood anything I typed.

Nor did you. I'm not even sure if you knew what our discussion was about when you made that statement.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

Also, I think I have to restate that Falashas do look different from the average Western Asian (i.e, the Arabs of Asia). Falashas have the Horner look. Apart from being darker-skinned, they also tend to have more frizzy hair, though not as frizzy as a Southern a Nigerian's.

I had a Saudi roommate last year. He says they have loads of Ethiopians in their country, and they call tell them quite easily from their looks. I can tell them apart very easily, too.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

The first language that you speak that you are born with is your native language. The language of the household, the language you learn how to count in first. all of these things consist of what make up a native language.

Brain teaser, let's use your logic. A full blooded pullo man marries another full nblooded pullo woman. Now the man speaks both tuareg and fulfulde, but the woman speaks only tuareg due to where she grew up. Now they beget a kid and obviously they can't communicate in any other language but the tuareg language, the boy grows up speaking only tuareg, is this boy a pullo or a tuareg?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

So true, glad there are others who understand this concept.

What exactly is "this concept"?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 11:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

Brain teaser, let's use your logic. A full blooded pullo man marries another full nblooded pullo woman. Now the man speaks both tuareg and fulfulde, but the woman speaks only tuareg due to where she grew up. Now they beget a kid and obviously they can't communicate in any other language but the tuareg language, the boy grows up speaking only tuareg, is this boy a pullo or a tuareg?

You are missing the point my friend. If a Full-blooded Pullo man marries a full-blooded Pullo woman, and they both speak Tamasheq (the native language of the Tuaregs), and that becomes the language of the offspring, the child is still a Pullo (though some Fulbe will not consider him as such). However, he is not speaking his native language, that's an alternate tongue. Though Tamasheq would be his first language, not his native language there's a difference.

I don't know what ethnic group you belong to, but let me give you another example since you threw that out there. Let's say for instance you are Yoruba (I don't know if you are Yoruba, this is just an example), and you marry another Yoruba woman who is only English speaking. Your child may grow up speaking English as a first language, but....it's not his Native language.

A native language is defined as a language that is native to a group of people (an ethnic group in this case). English is native to the English, Americans and Australians. Whereas, it's the colonial language of many countries but not the native language...

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 11:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

Looool! Clearly we have different views on this. Why is it that some Scandinavians don't practice their Viking cultures but are still ethnic Vikings? It's not about practicing the culture mate, I believe it has everything to do with ancestry.

Again I ask, who are the original Berber and why?
Well at least you didn't argue against my statement of "white" berbers (like Zidane) having Turkish and Arab genes hence polluting the "Berber" in them both biologically and culturally

First there are sects who still uphold certain Viking rites, and no other people practice the Viking culture. What would you think if non descendants of the old vikings had picked up the Viking culture? Certainly not what you are saying now
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 11:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Radoillo:

Also, I think I have to restate that Falashas do look different from the average Western Asian (i.e, the Arabs of Asia). Falashas have the Horner look. Apart from being darker-skinned, they also tend to have more frizzy hair, though not as frizzy as a Southern a Nigerian's.

I had a Saudi roommate last year. He says they have loads of Ethiopians in their country, and they call tell them quite easily from their looks. I can tell them apart very easily, too.

You know Ethiopians are diverse right? But sure one could spot an Ethiopian amidst arabs just as you could spot an Hausa amidst Igbos
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

You are missing the point my friend. If a Full-blooded Pullo man marries a full-blooded Pullo woman, and they both speak Tamasheq (the native language of the Tuaregs), and that becomes the language of the offspring, the child is still a Pullo (though some Fulbe will not consider him as such). However, he is not speaking his native language, that's an alternate tongue. Though Tamasheq would be his first language, not his native language there's a difference.

I don't know what ethnic group you belong to, but let me give you another example since you threw that out there. Let's say for instance you are Yoruba (I don't know if you are Yoruba, this is just an example), and you marry another Yoruba woman who is only English speaking. Your child may grow up speaking English as a first language, but....it's not his Native language.

A native language is defined as a language that is native to a group of people (an ethnic group in this case). English is native to the English, Americans and Australians. Whereas, it's the colonial language of many countries but not the native language...

Lol! I feel insulted you don't seem to see the person behind the moniker, first of all, I'm hausa, I think we interacted on the whole hausa fulani thread the other day. I've had 3 different monikers since then but it hurts that you didn't recognise my principle.

Alright, so not all berbers have to actually speak the language to be classified as berber then like you claimed earlier. Maybe these berbers grew up speaking a separate language from their native tongue.

So the native language is the language of his father's ancestors. Therefore ancestry is infact the defining factor when deciding the ethnicity of a person.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

Well at least you didn't argue against my statement of "white" berbers (like Zidane) having Turkish and Arab genes hence polluting the "Berber" in them both biologically and culturally

First there are sects who still uphold certain Viking rites, and no other people practice the Viking culture. What would you think if non descendants of the old vikings had picked up the Viking culture? Certainly not what you are saying now

Maybe now you see what I mean when I say we hausas have been polluted by God knows what, in Nigeria especially. Zinedine Zidane still sees himself as berber, why shouldn't he? It's like saying because an igbo man marries a yoruba woman and since he know has yoruba blood he can't be classified as igbo? But I guess people like him shouldn't be used as the standard for igbos, but here's my question, who are the true berbers then? Who are the berbers without a tainted bloodline? What do they look like?

If some people other than true ethnic vikings pick up viking cultures then they aren't vikings, they are just adopting their culture, which doesn't make them vikings. That being said there is a viking ethnicity, they have their physical characteristics and their culture. If you don't descend from a true viking then you can NEVER be a viking.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:43am On Jun 23, 2015
Fulaman198:

First and foremost there is no such thing as looking negroid, secondly there is no such thing as looking "Semitic" as it's a linguistic group.

The Fulanis that look "stereotypically" black (when I say that I mean non-Sahelian) are Rimaybe typically speaking meaning those who are not truly of Fulani origin as you know there are many Fulani people of Mande descent (like Juldeh Camara).

If you want a good idea of the true Fulani look, look at us the Mbororo'en and other groups further north like the Wodaabe. Ayub Diallo has the look too. A Fulani knows a Fulani when he/she sees one.

What is rimaybe fula, is it a cast?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 3:46pm On Jun 23, 2015
Takamba:

What is rimaybe fula, is it a cast?

Yeah it's a cast of those who aren't truly Fulbe ethnically but have become assimilated to Fulbe culture.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 4:02am On Jun 24, 2015
Fulaman198:

Yeah it's a cast of those who aren't truly Fulbe ethnically but have become assimilated to Fulbe culture.

Does rimaybe as a cast only exist in Nigeria because I don't know about it here? So Julde Camara is rimaybe because he is mixed you mean, do you think that Julde identifies himself as rimaybe? I thought that you didn't have castes like the ones we have and basically rimbe and rimaybe were more like the well off and the poorer Fulanis?
And about the look, a lot of Fulanis from other countries are rimbe, if it is the definition you meant, and do not look Fulani.
What about fulanis like atiku abubakar, he is from the nobility, and he doesn't look fulani to me. Issa Hayatou is also a prince from Garoua, yet he doesn't really has the typical fulani type.
Wodaabes are a minority, what about the vast majority? What is THE fulani look?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 5:09pm On Jun 24, 2015
Takamba:

Does rimaybe as a cast only exist in Nigeria because I don't know about it here? So Julde Camara is rimaybe because he is mixed you mean, do you think that Julde identifies himself as rimaybe? I thought that you didn't have castes like the ones we have and basically rimbe and rimaybe were more like the well off and the poorer Fulanis?
And about the look, a lot of Fulanis from other countries are rimbe, if it is the definition you meant, and do not look Fulani.
What about fulanis like atiku abubakar, he is from the nobility, and he doesn't look fulani to me. Issa Hayatou is also a prince from Garoua, yet he doesn't really has the typical fulani type.
Wodaabes are a minority, what about the vast majority? What is THE fulani look?

Rimaybe exists as a caste everywhere not just Nigeria or Cameroon. Juldeh Camara is Rimaybe because as you can tell by his last name, he's Mande. Juldeh in the Fulani language means prayer or pray. Camara is 100% Mande. Going by his name alone we know that his bloodline inherited Fulbe culture.

Senegalese Fulani do indeed have more castes than Nigerian Fulani or so I have been told by Fulani from other countries.

Fulani look = tall, beautiful teeth and most times lanky but not always as some Fulani living in grandeur are a bit plump loll. Fulani noses typically speaking are not wide. Some small, some long. For me personally I can easily spot a Fulani in a crowd.

The typical Fulani look is more of a Buhari, Yar'adua kind of look.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by kaura5000: 5:34pm On Jun 24, 2015
Fulaman198:

Rimaybe exists as a caste everywhere not just Nineties l Nigeria or Cameroon. Juldeh Camara is Rimaybe because as you can tell by his last name, he's Mande. Juldeh in the Fulani language means prayer or pray. Camara is 100% Mande. Going by his name alone we know that his bloodline inherited Fulbe culture.
Senegalese Fulani do indeed have more castes than Nigerian Fulani or so I have been told by Fulani from other countries.
Fulani look = tall, beautiful teeth and most times lanky but not always as some Fulani living in grandeur are a bit plump loll. Fulani noses typically speaking are not wide. Some small, some long. For me personally I can easily spot a Fulani in a crowd.
The typical Fulani look is more of a Buhari, Yar'adua kind of look.
lol why not atiku,ribadu,nyako, and lamido adamawa himself etc.. but fulaman do you know katsina is a hausa state with hausa majority... I just cant understand why katsina hausa are the most beautiful even among other hausa's,, it is had to comeby a person from katsina who is ugly... katsina is almost 70percent hausa

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 24, 2015
kaura5000:
lol why not atiku,ribadu,nyako, and lamido adamawa himself etc.. but fulaman do you know katsina is a hausa state with hausa majority... I just cant understand why katsina hausa are the most beautiful even among other hausa's,, it is had to comeby a person from katsina who is ugly... katsina is almost 70percent hausa

This is true. About the katsinawas I mean.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:41pm On Jun 24, 2015
kaura5000:

These are Fulani looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foLJje7mZzU

Pure-blooded 100% Fulani women

These are 100% authentic Fulani looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlSmTviLat4
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2015
here is a pure-blooded Fulani woman from Gombe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhURLS479U
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2015
Fulaman198:
here is a pure-blooded Fulani woman from Gombe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhURLS479U

Lol! This thread has officially been derailed. But 100%? That's speculative. You can't know for sure. The difference in physical looks and characteristics amongst them reeks of diversity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Origin Of The Name Yoruba / The Story Of The Legendary Farmer Turned Warrior, Lisabi / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.