Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) (45897 Views)

Lagos Flood: Govt Tells Lekki Billionaires To Vacate Their Homes / Oyibo Man Paddling His Way Through The Lagos Flood In A Canoe - Pic / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by honeric01(m): 10:21pm On Jun 20, 2015
Madamkilljoy:

I beg to disagree with the above mentioned, Sir Steve. I'll heap most of the blame on the doorstep of the government. They have tried but they should try harder. What would you say of the Apapa/Oshodi expressway? Whenever it rains, you know what happens. Tax payers money shouldn't be used for the beautification of the city only, rather it should be channeled to solving this monster called flood. However, a little portion of the blame would go to some pedestrians who love to litter the environment. Nevertheless, I think a law should be passed banning people from dropping filths on the road.

His short sentence showed clearly that he didn't absorb the government, you would have saved yourself this long typing if you read his post carefully.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
MizMyColi:

Blame our people too!
Blame us for not heeding advice and orders, despite sensitizations to keep our environment clean.

Blame Coke, Pepsi, Dangote, Nestle and co...
For producing almost non-biodegradable pet bottles.

Blame our local waste collectors.

Blame the citizenry more.
I share in that blamesad [size=1pt]- I try to not litter the environment sha.
Most of the time when I drink sachet or bottle water or eat gala or whatever on the road, I neatly fold (where applicable) and discard in a next available suitable place..clap for me na gringrin [/size]

madam youre under arrest for littering the environment thereby contributing wastes blocking the gutters...oya bring ya hand
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
SirStevoe:
Wow! Even Ikeja isn't spared. Lol shocked
In actual sense, the flood wasn't caused by the Lagos rains, but by blocked/insufficient drainage channels. These drainages did not block themselves, they were blocked by human beings. People who have poor values, who in turn have no value for environment and others. These set of people are the ones who turn these drainages to their refuse grounds and dump all sorts there.
Then when events such as these occur, government is blamed?!
This is not to absolve the government of blame, but if each one of us play our respective roles and citizens become law abiding, things will definitely move forward and the change we seek becomes clearly visible.
Government and people need to work hand in hand, Nation building isn't a job for either party but for both, individually and collectively.

I Don taya for this nonsense.

Change!!! Eko Oni Bake O!!!

-Sir Stevoe

governments should slab all drainages.

And provide effective refuse disposal.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
This 2hrs downpour, 8hrs Flood experience don tire me oo..This is still June and Lagosians are going through this..if the highbrow areas VI,VGC are messed up by floods,what will my people in mushin,AJ,satellite town,amuwo do..Abeg make una watch our almighty Banana insland oo,make rain no go wash am goo.God Helep US oo
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by lonelydora: 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
E don be for that 2003 Toyota Camry. I pity the owner shaa.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
EdCure:
Horrific!

Curbing a disaster of this magnitude is not an exclusive duty of the government. Citizens should act responsibly.
Stop indiscriminate refuse disposal, especially in drainages.

The Lagos governments don't put good refuse disposal measures in place...u wan make citizens chop dem dustbin
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by angelsing(m): 10:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
SirStevoe:
In actual sense, the flood wasn't caused by the Lagos rains, but by blocked/insufficient drainage channels. These drainages did not block themselves, they were blocked by human beings. People who have poor values, who in turn have no value for environment and others. These set of people are the ones who turn these drainages to their refuse grounds and dump all sorts there.
This is not to absolve the government of blame, but if each one of us play our respective roles and citizens become law abiding, things will definitely move forward and the change we seek becomes clearly visible.
Government and people need to work hand in hand, Nation building isn't a job for either party but for both, individually and collectively.

-Sir Stevoe
This is my comment regarding this kind issue on some other thread yesterday
My brother as much as we can scold the
government we the masses has 70percent of
the blame..we all know lagos is surrounded
by water and the water can sometimes over
flow into the street and all around the state
but we the masses play a big part in the pool
of water we see on the street..I remember
vividly the advert aired on Ltv and channels
all about how water flow into the lagoon but
even with all this advert we the masses has
not decease from dumping refuse into our
water ways there by constitute the pool of
water we see on the road...We nigerians are
natural wicked, we blame the government
for everything while we the masses has not
done anything to help the government....A
classic example is my neighborhood, were
PSP comes around to pick our refuse, most
of the people refuse to pay for it instead they
dump the refuse in our gutter...Our
government can still do more but we the
masses most help out in curbing man made disaster

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 20, 2015
We means everybody including Govt.

kodded:
and what is the duty of the state government if we pay them our tax and still to build and design the drainage system ?

If the government provide waste bin, no one will throw refuse in the drainages
undecided
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 20, 2015
akoaki:

Our imams and pastors should stop preaching to us that prayer is what nigeria needs to prosper. That is a fallacy. What the country needs is patriotism, determination and hard work on the part of the government and the governed.

Gbam! you've said it all.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by MizMyColi(f): 10:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
IzonOwei:
madam youre under arrest for littering the environment thereby contributing wastes blocking the gutters...oya bring ya hand

Hehehehehehehehe
cheesy

At least I confessed my sinslipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by mmsen: 10:38pm On Jun 20, 2015
agarawu23:
we Humans cannot stop the rains from falling. These are natural events, but we can do something to prevent them from having great impact.

our Government are not trying at all because they are lot of step they can take to control flooding and make flow of water easy.

I have seen countries where rain fall constantly but there is a good drainage system and underground well, once the rain stops within 1-2 hours everywhere is dried up.

Blame our Government.

Blame the government for a city built on land below sea level?

Do you also blame the Oklahoma state government for their floods? Or the New Orleans city authorities for their flooding? How about the authorities in Houston and New York? Do you also blame them?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by ademoladeji(m): 10:40pm On Jun 20, 2015
Flood Flood Flood....

I sincerely hope we the citizens won't start raising abuses n curse on the government whn they start demolishing buildings n properties.

Well, I think now is the time to confront the realities of global warming, including the increasing frequency and intensity of heavy rainfall events across the country.

We need to reduce the risks to riverfront communities. Important steps include discouraging
development in flood-prone areas and protecting the natural systems, such as wetlands, that help to buffer against floods.

Recent years have brought more heavy summer
rainfall events along with increased likelihood of
devastating floods. While no single storm or flood
can be attributed directly to global warming,
changing climate conditions are at least partly
responsible for past trends. Because warmer air can hold more moisture, global warming is expected to bring more and heavier precipitation in the years to come.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by angelsing(m): 10:41pm On Jun 20, 2015
agarawu23:
you have a point too. But the government should first provide where waste can be dumped some streets don't have where to dispose waste(though some ppl no go still follow the rule sha, you know say some of our citizens no dey hear word) grin
My brother even when the government provide such, they still refuse to patronise them because they rather pour it in the drainage than pay to be properly disposed
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by loomer: 10:42pm On Jun 20, 2015
Do they need messages on whatsapp before them go know?
All the ones them dey see for tv wetin dem don do about am?
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by angelsing(m): 10:46pm On Jun 20, 2015
Madamkilljoy:

Don't you ever wonder what makes them do that? The truth is some areas do not have waste bins and LASTMA does not bother to pack the rubbish they heap on the street or drainage as the case may be.
Disposing of refuse dump is not free..people pay for their waste to be properly disposed...In my neighborhood, people still refuse to patronise the waste disposal unit and rather pour it in the drainage...Nigerians are naturally wicked, they could care less what happened so long as they can heap the blame on the government..Though the government can still do more

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by angelsing(m): 10:48pm On Jun 20, 2015
stobery:
Fashola with noise ehn

U mean when Akpabio was busy constructing underground drainage, Fashola did not learn any from him then?
Are u comparing the lagos to akwa ibom?...Lagos is surrounded by water..comparing akwa ibom to lagos is wrong when It comes to the effect of water
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 20, 2015
imagine that lagos is a PDP controled state... heaven for fall..same thing happens in Benin whenever it rains.... Was in Anambra state few weeks ago,all roads were tarred up to my grandmas vila with 6 feet converd drains... truly Ambode is confused and doesn't know where to start
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Madamkilljoy(f): 10:51pm On Jun 20, 2015
honeric01:

His short sentence showed clearly that he didn't absorb the government, you would have saved yourself this long typing if you read his post carefully.

I can't remember seeking your opinion.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Lexzycane(m): 10:54pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lagos drainage system might not be the best in the world, but at least there is a good one. It's people that dump refuse into gutters, some here are even guilty of drinking teem and eating gala, then drop the bottle and nylon on the floor. It ends up in the drainage. Floods comes and finds no where to go. Next thing is to blame the government. Do your bit
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by themodernman: 11:01pm On Jun 20, 2015
Oga lomomike sorry for disturbing again oh.

So what do you think is d fate of these vehicles dat are almost drowning and is there a preventive measure against ds?
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by kodded(m): 11:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
teeowl:
We means everybody including Govt.
kk
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by SirStevoe(m): 11:06pm On Jun 20, 2015
Madamkilljoy:

I beg to disagree with the above mentioned, Sir Steve. I'll heap most of the blame on the doorstep of the government. They have tried but they should try harder. What would you say of the Apapa/Oshodi expressway? Whenever it rains, you know what happens. Tax payers money shouldn't be used for the beautification of the city only, rather it should be channeled to solving this monster called flood. However, a little portion of the blame would go to some pedestrians who love to litter the environment. Nevertheless, I think a law should be passed banning people from dropping filths on the road.

You are also right my sister. Both sides are to share in the blame. If the government and the people play their parts well, there will be great improvement, and this issue might just be a thing of the past. People should just try to be responsible citizens. I wonder why people do such things here that they normally wouldn't try doing when they are in other countries!

Sir Stevoe

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by angelsing(m): 11:06pm On Jun 20, 2015
remember007:
imagine that lagos is a PDP controled state... heaven for fall..same thing happens in Benin whenever it rains.... Was in Anambra state few weeks ago,all roads were tarred up to my grandmas vila with 6 feet converd drains... truly Ambode is confused and doesn't know where to start
Please don't policise this issue...Have u forgotten lagos surrounded by water?..Can u say the same for Anambra?..If PDP does well, everybody will praise the party..beside Obiano is a silent worker, I like the man no noise just doing his thing..
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by tsdarkside(m): 11:06pm On Jun 20, 2015
our goverment dont understand organising a tall...the only thing they know is "money" and "partys"...this problem can be solved very easyly,,,it will not even be that expensive....useless leaders.... angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Madamkilljoy(f): 11:11pm On Jun 20, 2015
angelsing:
Disposing of refuse dump is not free..people pay for their waste to be properly disposed...Nigerians are naturally wicked, they could care less what happened so long as they can heap the blame on the government..

You're right, but it's not so expensive. Prior this time, it used to be free, at least my area benefitted from it (who no like free thing?). If the government fails to make things affordable and comfortable, the people would do the needful (no too blame them, na condition make crayfish bend).
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Madamkilljoy(f): 11:25pm On Jun 20, 2015
arsenal33:

blame the govt for people's dirtiness
No, sweety. I blame the two-double-both of them. For failing to provide clear the heaps of rubbish, on the government's part, and for using it to constitute nuisance, on the people's part (last time I checked, dirty dey kill black man, but them no send).
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 20, 2015
lolababe331e:
Lagos State Govt provides SMS, Whatsapp number for flooding complaints

The dedicated telephone number is: 08099183777 for Lagosians to notify the state government whenever they notice flood related issues in their streets, neighbourhood and highways.
the telephone line is strictly for “Short Message Service (SMS) and WHATSAPP.

Any for complaints about PHCN? The constant blackout in my area obviously is manipulated as surrounding areas have light, often sad
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by uchenageme(m): 11:53pm On Jun 20, 2015
emorse:

We have to blame ourselves too. I've seen people emptying sacks of waste in drainages. Actions like that leads to flooding and there's little or nothing the govt can do about it.
People drop rubbish into drains because the state has made it difficult for them to dispose same without incurring so much cost.
Imagine if you are unemployed, you need to pay for high cost of schools, house rent,electricity etc and then the government added cost of disposing refuse to the list..... I am just saying
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:55pm On Jun 20, 2015
SirStevoe:

-Sir Stevoe
I just wish everyone in Nigeria could behave like those in calabar.... That place is never flooded or dirty thanks to their understanding of being good citizens....
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by ademoladeji(m): 11:57pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lagos is a very low lying State, relatively flat in
topography, near the Coast (Atlantic Ocean) and is
served by many Rivers as well as lagoons. Under
normal circumstances, when water is to flow by
natural means, (that is under the force of gravity), it
does so from a higher level to a lower level. It
requires only a little stretch of the imagination for
even a non-technical person to then appreciate that
the steeper the gradient (upward slope) the better
the chances of excess water after a heavy rain to flow away through the drains, channels and canals into the sea/ocean.

Most people in Lagos dump refuse into the drains, which sometimes do not get cleared as often as they should. Also people, construct buildings along natural drainage routes and on flood plains. Many Nigerian roads have challenges of poor materials utilised for construction, poor design as well as poor supervision of construction on site. The conclusion is not too hard to seek on why Apapa – Oshodi Expressway (and other roads in Lagos) often become flooded and impassable.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:00am On Jun 21, 2015
Genea:
Dah happens wen dere is no proper drainage system
don't blame it on the system..... Blame it on Every citizen who behaves like an animal by refusing to dispose refuse properly which causes clogging of drainages all around..
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Adegbodolu1: 12:03am On Jun 21, 2015
Acidosis:
Here in Akute, the useless bridge linking Ojodu Lagos to Estate/Alagbole/Akute, Ogun state is in deep mess.

Governor Amosun is a monumental failure. APC Governors are the most wicked and hypocritical politicians in the world. I could not believe my eye when I saw a canoe on a so called major road in Ogun, near Lagos.

These guys are strict about their tax but ideal and docile when it comes to WORK. Just yesterday a woman who sells stuffs like indomie, sachet water, cray fish, salt, pepper and the likes was harassed because she's unable to pay Amosun's N8000 tax! The whole goods in her shop isn't worth N50,000, yet Amosun's touts won't stop these idiocy.

The CAP wearing governor should come to the rescue of Ogun state dwellers, particularly those living in the aforementioned places. This man sends his touts to collect tax from the highly populated and fast developing neighborhoods of Lagos only to pour the returns in Abeokuta and some ideal villages in Ogun.

@Amosun, a woman broke her leg last week saturday while moving on one of your useless and idle projects. I couldn't breath on seeing shattered legs in the dungeon you called road.

May God reward you in bad measures. You all will pay for your evils including the mad pilot we call governor in Kogi.

I wish it were your leg that was broken hopeless Yam tuber leg Igbo woman, Carry your smelly thing back to the sad east.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari On Stage With APC Governors In Edo State For Obaseki (Photos) / Fayose In Abuja Court For Nnamdi Kanu's Trial (Photo) / 3 Potential Candidates For EFCC Chairmanship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.