Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) (45865 Views)

Lagos Flood: Govt Tells Lekki Billionaires To Vacate Their Homes / Oyibo Man Paddling His Way Through The Lagos Flood In A Canoe - Pic / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by lalasticlala(m): 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lagos flood caused these...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gidi_Traffic

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by lalasticlala(m): 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2015
Flood...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 7:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
we Humans cannot stop the rains from falling. These are natural events, but we can do something to prevent them from having great impact.

our Government are not trying at all because they are lot of step they can take to control flooding and make flow of water easy.

I have seen countries where rain fall constantly but there is a good drainage system and underground well, once the rain stops within 1-2 hours everywhere is dried up.

Blame our Government.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
undecided this is what happens when you ignore capable hands, and give a vital contract to a relation who doesn't know JACK!!! angry

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by SirStevoe(m): 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
Wow! Even Ikeja isn't spared. Lol shocked
In actual sense, the flood wasn't caused by the Lagos rains, but by blocked/insufficient drainage channels. These drainages did not block themselves, they were blocked by human beings. People who have poor values, who in turn have no value for environment and others. These set of people are the ones who turn these drainages to their refuse grounds and dump all sorts there.
Then when events such as these occur, government is blamed?!
This is not to absolve the government of blame, but if each one of us play our respective roles and citizens become law abiding, things will definitely move forward and the change we seek becomes clearly visible.
Government and people need to work hand in hand, Nation building isn't a job for either party but for both, individually and collectively.

I Don taya for this nonsense.

Change!!! Eko Oni Bake O!!!

-Sir Stevoe

131 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by raayah(f): 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
Wow!
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
Chai

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by MosakuAW(m): 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
It is well.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by EdCure: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
Horrific!

Curbing a disaster of this magnitude is not an exclusive duty of the government. Citizens should act responsibly.
Stop indiscriminate refuse disposal, especially in drainages.

17 Likes

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by lolababe331e: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lagos State Govt provides SMS, Whatsapp number for flooding complaints

The dedicated telephone number is: 08099183777 for Lagosians to notify the state government whenever they notice flood related issues in their streets, neighbourhood and highways.
the telephone line is strictly for “Short Message Service (SMS) and WHATSAPP.

17 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by piicity(m): 7:31pm On Jun 20, 2015
What is Ambode looking before the flood?chai

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by kristen12(f): 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
Wow......nawa O°˚˚˚
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
Few facts about flood

No region is safe from flooding.

Flash floods can bring walls of water from 10 to 20 feet high.

A car can be taken away in as little as 2 feet of water.

To stay safe during a flood, go to the highest ground of floor possible. If your skin comes in contact with flood water, make sure to wash it with soap and disinfected water because the contents are unknown.

Since flood damage is almost never covered by homeowners insurance, flood insurance is important for people living in high-risk flood zones.

Communities particularly at risk are those located in low-lying areas, near water, or downstream from a dam.

66% of deaths caused by floods usually occur in the vehicle, and most happen when drivers make a single fatal mistake trying to navigate through flood waters.

95% of those who perished in the flood try to outrun the waters along their path rather than climbing rocks or going to a place higher up the ranks.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
wow.

in other news

I used to be a hater of one Nigeria but i sat down
one day and i reflected on our country nigeria.

things are not going fine because we don't want
things to go fine. imagine what a great place
Nigeria would have been if everyone had supported
one Nigeria from the start.

we need to say no to terrorism and insurgency.
other countries are growing year in year out.
but Nigeria keeps going backwards just because
we are all full of hate and bigotry.

I pledge my support for one Nigeria.

back to topic , reminds me of some pics of Benin city a friend sent to me sometime this month sometime this month

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Genea(f): 7:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
Dah happens wen dere is no proper drainage system

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by natas22: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2015
Next thing now they will blame buhari because of it.
www.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by temitemi1(m): 7:36pm On Jun 20, 2015
Eko ti baje ooooooo grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Crieff(m): 7:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
Holy cow!

That rain was exceptionally heavy. Almost everywhere got flooded.

I totally agree with sir stevoe's post, right up there and Madamkilljoy's right down below.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Realdeals(m): 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2015
Chai
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by marieolae(f): 7:50pm On Jun 20, 2015
This is ridiculous
Things need to change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Dollyak(f): 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2015
The rate of flooding in Lagos is unacceptable. Why can't lagos invest in a proper underground drainage system? The long term benefit of underground drainage simply outweighs its project cost.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by eleko1: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2015
Good one.I doubt they'll come to Ajah/environ.Most of the str/area Nah mini river when heaven release rain
lolababe331e:
Lagos State Govt provides SMS, Whatsapp number for flooding complaints

The dedicated telephone number is: 08099183777 for Lagosians to notify the state government whenever they notice flood related issues in their streets, neighbourhood and highways.
the telephone line is strictly for “Short Message Service (SMS) and WHATSAPP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by funkiebully: 7:59pm On Jun 20, 2015
They voted for change. That's d result. Ambode is still confused about where to start.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by zimoni(f): 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2015
FG and LASG need to pay more attention to this flood.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Madamkilljoy(f): 8:03pm On Jun 20, 2015
SirStevoe:

In actual sense, the flood wasn't caused by the Lagos flood, but by blocked/insufficient drainage
-Sir Stevoe

I beg to disagree with the above mentioned, Sir Steve. I'll heap most of the blame on the doorstep of the government. They have tried but they should try harder. What would you say of the Apapa/Oshodi expressway? Whenever it rains, you know what happens. Tax payers money shouldn't be used for the beautification of the city only, rather it should be channeled to solving this monster called flood. However, a little portion of the blame would go to some pedestrians who love to litter the environment. Nevertheless, I think a law should be passed banning people from dropping filths on the road.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by tinuolababy(f): 8:11pm On Jun 20, 2015
shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by jnrbayano(m): 8:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
miqos02:
God help us oh

Leave God out of this.

Humans should help themselves.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by emorse(m): 8:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
agarawu23:
we Humans cannot stop the rains from falling. These are natural events, but we can do something to prevent them from having great impact.

our Government are not trying at all because they are lot of step they can take to control flooding and make flow of water easy.

I have seen countries where rain fall constantly but there is a good drainage system and underground well, once the rain stops within 1-2 hours everywhere is dried up.

Blame our Government.

We have to blame ourselves too. I've seen people emptying sacks of waste in drainages. Actions like that leads to flooding and there's little or nothing the govt can do about it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 8:16pm On Jun 20, 2015
emorse:

We have to blame ourselves too. I've seen people emptying sacks of waste in drainages. Actions like that leads to flooding and there's little or nothing the govt can do about it.
you have a point too. But the government should first provide where waste can be dumped some streets don't have where to dispose waste(though some ppl no go still follow the rule sha, you know say some of our citizens no dey hear word) grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by emorse(m): 8:17pm On Jun 20, 2015
funkiebully:
They voted for change. That's d result. Ambode is still confused about where to start.

Change in Lagos state? lol
You and ur likes (Tanoids) go chop poison last last on top this change matter.

I know say u go insult me o. lol

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by funkiebully: 8:18pm On Jun 20, 2015
[s]
emorse:

Change in Lagos state? lol
You and ur likes (Tanoids) go chop poison last last in top this change matter.
[/s]

Who be this mu.mu?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ambode Commissions Helicopters, Gun Boats, Armoured Personel Carriers / Picture Of Rotimi Amaechi And An Old Woman / Death Of 26 Nigerian Girls In Mediterranean Sea: Ezekwesili Slams Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.