Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) (45896 Views)

Lagos Flood: Govt Tells Lekki Billionaires To Vacate Their Homes / Oyibo Man Paddling His Way Through The Lagos Flood In A Canoe - Pic / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by MizMyColi(f): 9:41am On Jun 21, 2015
Onegai:

For once I must disagree with you. There are private companies in Lagos who recycle PET bottles and pure water sachets. Fashola's "able" government and its parastatals were too busy wasting their time and looking for roadblocks to mount in their way. The pure water recycling plant was meant to produce waste bags (Fashola gave the contract to his relative, who started importing the waste bags and branding them). Yet when Fashola and his cohorts want to do publicity, they will go to the plant, snap photos, call journalists and give one fantastic story (as if it was working at full capacity).

I have so much proof on this, as I was working for Lagos state at that time. I couldn't believe the nonsense I saw and the elephant projects for waste executed by Fashola, who couldn't be bothered to utilise the expensive Waste Management facilities he built at Oshodi and Sura. They worked at less than 30% capacity. The PET bottle company, LASG used to frustrate them like mad and call for meetings in which nothing sensible will be resolved. They have a plant at Amuwo Odofin.

I blame LASG 70% for this mess and flooding. If they do their part and not eye service, they can effectively tackle Lagosians dumping waste everywhere. After all, wasn't it less than 10 years ago they achieved at least 60% compliance with seatbelt wearing in vehicles?

Chei!
See Schooling embarassed
Thanks for taking the timesmiley
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by MizMyColi(f): 9:42am On Jun 21, 2015
agarawu23:

you see yourself grin
you are one of the culprit
wait make I call 'operation sweep' make dey con carry you cheesy

morning.

Morning Jarey.
They can't do me Nada.
I live in mars cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by themodernman: 10:14am On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

bro, first thing we should know, Lagos is a Low ground area so buildings should be built following planning ordinance. Drainages should be built and the existing drainages shouldn't be blocked. There are always natural drainage pattern for rain water and other sources of mass water to follow their natural courses and if these natural drainage paths are obstructed, it is a disaster. These things I've said are meant for the planning and waste management authority to enforce folks should be enlightened and also those on flood paths or flood plains should be evacuated in planning, urban settlement, flood liable areas, flood zones, rocky areas and difficult terrains are kept aside for High income earners/low density zones (rich men) are only reserved for them to work on their environment in a manner that doesn't pose risk to the environment, lives and properties, the flood prone areas can be converted to agricultural land use areas for water loving crops such as swamp rice, sugar canes plantations et al.

As for the cars, I see electrical problem coming up soon. ECU and other components getting fried, possibly erratic offensive behaviour from electrical components, electrical fires emanating from breached or wet electrical components, those who claim to be brave and drive thru these deep water risk hydro locking (a situation where by water is sucked into an engine cylinder, since engine relies on compression and water can't be compressed, the resultant effect is a cracked or broken engine thus total destruction of engine), wastage of money due to frequent visit to mechanic and further destruction of flooded vehicles due to abuse meted by kazeems, which could cause the owner to sell his/her vehicle ridiculously cheap (flood salvage).

Oga na master....you're too good for your job. I'll talk to Seun for an upward review of your salary.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 21, 2015
themodernman:

Oga na master....you're too good for your job. I'll talk to Seun for an upward review of your salary.

In my previous comment which you quoted
, I added some other important ways Lagos state could tackle waste especially bottles.
Do you know these buildings constructed with such alternative materials are cheaper to build, stronger, might serve as Low income mass housing solution and could be bullet proof?
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by skyface00(m): 10:39am On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmmm human error! Don't throw anytin inside drainage, before u build ur house put a drainage system in front of ur land before building, don't sell rice, purewater, akara, ogogoro, don't do dis don't do that, they won't listn now d reasons u were told 2 be a good listner has come and u pay dearly for it and u shouting govt is bad, govt can't do everything for us, if we can't take just common warning....when govt use force we cry our head off, that they making life hard for poor...kai kai Nigeria and Nigerians na one rigid 2 amend
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by honeric01(m): 11:07am On Jun 21, 2015
Madamkilljoy:

I can't remember seeking your opinion.
Neither did he.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 21, 2015
Someone should help me look at the pics clearly, the first 2 pics is not Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by blank(f): 11:13am On Jun 21, 2015
ABJDOT:
Someone should help me look at the pics clearly, the first 2 pics is not Nigeria.

First 2 pictures are the entrance to VGC. Definitely in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 21, 2015
blank:

First 2 pictures are the entrance to VGC. Definitely in Nigeria.
Entrance to VGC- thanks my sister, are you on bbm? Add me up 2332EB32.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by strongerthaneva(m): 11:41am On Jun 21, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Chai
My padi u see wetin una don cause for us now..Abeg make una come do something sharply cos this is una unfinished business oo...I don miss u small self..Moderator Abeg leave me and my Dem play paddies alone o..PDP and APC are citizens of this nation just trying to tackle the mistakes of the country to get things right..
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nickymezor(f): 11:54am On Jun 21, 2015
Nt a new tin @ all ... It does suck 4 real. undecidedThe drainage system is really poor..wetin una dey expect kwanu
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by MurderX: 12:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
The first picture is VGC yesterday. High brow VGC and Lekki Phase 1 are worse hit by flood on the island.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Sponge3(m): 12:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
[quote author=Dollyak post=34980581]

I agree with you. Hope the flood is not affecting you directly.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by talktonase(m): 1:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
One day water will swallow up the lagos and the people and the houses...tnk God notin dey join me wit dt town for now.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Madamkilljoy(f): 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2015
honeric01:

Neither did he.
If you continue with this attitude, you'll make me lash at you. Let me be, abeg.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Souljaboi1: 1:50pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

Side Note: do you know empty bottles could be filled up with sand and used in building construction as an alternative to bricks/blocks which are then plastered?

Hello,

I find the idea of using waste bottles as building blocks quite interesting. It could be used for building public toilets and even temporary homes for Soldiers in remote areas.

Could you suggest a means to further this discussion.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by honeric01(m): 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
Madamkilljoy:

If you continue with this attitude, you'll make me lash at you. Let me be, abeg.

You mean i should start shaking?
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
Souljaboi1:

Hello,

I find the idea of using waste bottles as building blocks quite interesting. It could be used for building public toilets and even temporary homes for Soldiers in remote areas.

Could you suggest a means to further this discussion.

You don see opportunity to gain money using waste. Transforming waste to wealth cool
This will lessen the impact of PET and glass bottles waste in our environment, create job/money for those who pick up the waste/discarded bottles from bins, and bring them to you, it creates job and money for those who will sort and wash these bottle to rid them of harmful contents and odour. It will also create job/finance for those who fill up the bottle with sand, it will also create employment and bring money to those who will align the bottles in a neat way to create forms and patterns and to reduce amount of cement for choking in-between bottles.

It can be used for various forms of houses. You could also use it as core of a house and then plaster it so as to conceal the whole bottle (you know Nigerian/Africans might see such bottle houses and raise false alarm that it is charm filled bottles which are used in construction).
In all its a win-win situation. Because the environmental waste is lessened, people are employed and thus gain wealth, you use little finance to build stronger buildings thus gaining more from little.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Dollyak(f): 2:08pm On Jun 21, 2015
[quote author=Sponge3 post=34990637][/quote]
Gratefully not affected. Thanks for the concern. Are you?
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by hardbody: 2:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
agarawu23:
we Humans cannot stop the rains from falling. These are natural events, but we can do something to prevent them from having great impact.

our Government are not trying at all because they are lot of step they can take to control flooding and make flow of water easy.

I have seen countries where rain fall constantly but there is a good drainage system and underground well, once the rain stops within 1-2 hours everywhere is dried up.

Blame our Government.

Great write up, but we the people are also not helping matters. How do we dispose of waste? You see people dropping gabbage everywhere and blocking the few drainages thus compounding an already bad situation. While orientation is important, all hands should be on deck to change the status quo.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 2:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
hardbody:

Great write up, but we the people are also not helping matters. How do we dispose of waste? You see people dropping gabbage everywhere and blocking the few drainages thus compounding an already bad situation. While orientation is important, all hands should be on deck to change the status quo.
you have a point too

if the government can provide underground wells, there is no way refuse can be thrown there. I have seen examples
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by anonimi: 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
Onegai:

For once I must disagree with you. There are private companies in Lagos who recycle PET bottles and pure water sachets. Fashola's "able" government and its parastatals were too busy wasting their time and looking for roadblocks to mount in their way. The pure water recycling plant was meant to produce waste bags (Fashola gave the contract to his relative, who started importing the waste bags and branding them). Yet when Fashola and his cohorts want to do publicity, they will go to the plant, snap photos, call journalists and give one fantastic story (as if it was working at full capacity).

I have so much proof on this, as I was working for Lagos state at that time. I couldn't believe the nonsense I saw and the elephant projects for waste executed by Fashola, who couldn't be bothered to utilise the expensive Waste Management facilities he built at Oshodi and Sura. They worked at less than 30% capacity. The PET bottle company, LASG used to frustrate them like mad and call for meetings in which nothing sensible will be resolved. They have a plant at Amuwo Odofin.

I blame LASG 70% for this mess and flooding. If they do their part and not eye service, they can effectively tackle Lagosians dumping waste everywhere. After all, wasn't it less than 10 years ago they achieved at least 60% compliance with seatbelt wearing in vehicles?

Those who are honest and had any meaningful contact with Tinubu/Fashola administration understand they were plain SCAMMERS. Very smooth.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Isewa: 3:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
agarawu23:
we Humans cannot stop the rains from falling. These are natural events, but we can do something to prevent them from having great impact.

our Government are not trying at all because they are lot of step they can take to control flooding and make flow of water easy.

I have seen countries where rain fall constantly but there is a good drainage system and underground well, once the rain stops within 1-2 hours everywhere is dried up.

Blame our Government.
Please who do you blame for throwing sachet water nylon, bottle water plastic, PET bottles and many other things into the gutter. An educated person would finish softdrinks and throw the empty bottle into the gutter or on the road and end up in the drainage. Do we blame our govt for this also.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
Isewa:

Please who do you blame for throwing sachet water nylon, bottle water plastic, PET bottles and many other things into the gutter. An educated person would finish softdrinks and throw the empty bottle into the gutter or on the road and end up in the drainage. Do we blame our govt for this also.
no sir
blame the government for not providing underground wells because waste can't be dumped in an underground well.

though our citizens have a little blame too but blame our govt more
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
agarawu23:
no sir
blame the government for not providing underground wells because waste can't be dumped in an underground well.

though our citizens have a little blame too but blame our govt more

You've made mention of 'underground well' about 2 times, I don't have any idea what that mean, please explain.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 3:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

You've made mention of 'underground well' about 2 times, I don't have any idea what that mean, please explain.

Thanks in advance.
OK
this kind of wells are dug underground before tilling the roads and they will be an open and close cover in every 15 meters far away from each other. These covers have a hole on them where water can pass and enter the underground during rain falls. this wells are all directed to a big ocean once there is rain and even if the wells are filled up due to heavy rainfalls, before 2hours everywhere is dried up. no stagnant water.

I will take a pix and attach.
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike this is an example, its sunny I hope you can see it well

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 21, 2015
agarawu23:
lomomike this is an example, its sunny I hope you can see it well
I get you, but this is a manhole and a manhole is meant for underground electricity, urban/rural water, gas supply and/or sewage systems. Lagos like most Niger Delta region is a low plain area and its liable to flood, however the case in Lagos and Port Harcourt is worsened by inadequate sustainable urban drainage network system which easily and quickly evacuate flood water in events of flash floods.

In Abuja, some of the drainages are built big but trust Nigerian styles even a Medical doctor (or anyone who has no business with Urban design and Development) can get contract to construct drainage as long as he/she is closely related to someone who knows someone that knows something.

Even if Engineers are contracted, they cut corners, the people I blame here are the urban planners (I am an urban planner too).

Why?
Most times NITP, urban planning authorities et al sit down and watch as things are going wrong in Urban and rural centres without voicing out, with out proactive measures instead they sit in big conferences to give long boring seminars, workshops and talks (I am not against those talks) yet don't force the government to take actions.

EDITED: make I sharply remove those rants I posted grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by agarawu23(m): 5:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

I get you, but this is a manhole and a manhole is meant for underground electricity, urban/rural water, gas supply and/or sewage systems. Lagos like most Niger Delta region is a low plain area and its liable to flood, however the case in Lagos and Port Harcourt is worsened by inadequate sustainable urban drainage network system which easily and quickly evacuate flood water in events of flash floods.

In Abuja, some of the drainages are built big but trust Nigerian styles even a Medical doctor (or anyone who has no business with Urban design and Development) can get contract to construct drainage as long as he/she is closely related to someone who knows someone that knows something.

Even if Engineers are contracted, they cut corners, the people I blame here are the urban planners (I am an urban planner too).

Why?
Most times NITP, urban planning authorities et al sit down and watch as things are going wrong in Urban and rural centres without voicing out, with out proactive measures instead they sit in big conferences to give long boring seminars, workshops and talks (I am not against those talks) yet don't force the government to take actions.

EDITED: make I sharply remove those rants I posted grin
wow good explanation

I already read your rants grin no need to modify tongue
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Souljaboi1: 6:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

You don see opportunity to gain money using waste. Transforming waste to wealth cool
This will lessen the impact of PET and glass bottles waste in our environment, create job/money for those who pick up the waste/discarded bottles from bins, and bring them to you, it creates job and money for those who will sort and wash these bottle to rid them of harmful contents and odour. It will also create job/finance for those who fill up the bottle with sand, it will also create employment and bring money to those who will align the bottles in a neat way to create forms and patterns and to reduce amount of cement for choking in-between bottles.

It can be used for various forms of houses. You could also use it as core of a house and then plaster it so as to conceal the whole bottle (you know Nigerian/Africans might see such bottle houses and raise false alarm that it is charm filled bottles which are used in construction).
In all its a win-win situation. Because the environmental waste is lessened, people are employed and thus gain wealth, you use little finance to build stronger buildings thus gaining more from little.

I understand the technique involved and the economic implication. I am just asking for a means of communication which would be more 'private'.

Thanks
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by themodernman: 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

In my previous comment which you quoted
, I added some other important ways Lagos state could tackle waste especially bottles.
Do you know these buildings constructed with such alternative materials are cheaper to build, stronger, might serve as Low income mass housing solution and could be bullet proof?

You mean buildings with the waste materials resulting in stronger & buklet proof houses? That's incredible!
Re: Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
themodernman:

You mean buildings with the waste materials resulting in stronger & buklet proof houses? That's incredible!
Oh you also forgot to add the few words 'cheaper, locally sourced materials'
Why 'cheaper'? One 6" block is about 95-120Naira depending on area, while 9" block is 140-160naira depending on area you're purchasing it. But you could easily pick up this bottles from clubs, beer parlours, hotels in hundreds at very minimal cost and these places would gladly give you even extra (plus some cash too if you ask) thinking you're disposing their wastes (which you actually are) wink

Talking about business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari On Stage With APC Governors In Edo State For Obaseki (Photos) / Fayose In Abuja Court For Nnamdi Kanu's Trial (Photo) / Nnamdi Kanu: IPOB Restricts Movement Into Onitsha, Nnewi, Markets, Shops Closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.