Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,777 members, 7,813,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections (2854 Views)

President Buhari To Go On Leave, Osibanjo To Serve As Acting President / President, Governors Must Quit Office Before Elections – Sule / Rumour: Buhari Wants To Go On Leave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by sunshine1974(m): 8:17am On Jun 22, 2015
Sunday Okobi   
Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, at the weekend, revealed that contrary to the rumours that made the rounds before and after the 2015 elections, he was never threatened or asked to proceed on leave or retire by anybody or authority, adding that it was just the work of rumour mongers who did not want anything good for the country.

Jega, who also tasked the new administration to try its best to ensure that the hopes and aspirations of Nigerians are realised, disclosed that during the elections, his security aides were never withdrawn for a second, contrary to what many were made to believe.

According to the INEC chairman, who was hosted in Lagos by EbonyLife TV in a programme tagged, 'Afternoon Tea with Professor Attahiru Mohammed Jega', “In our country, anything is possible. Frankly, the rumour mill in our country is incredible; a lot is manufactured, circulated and assumes a life of its own.

“Sincerely, I did not feel that I was under any threat, nobody threatened me and at no time was my security detail withdrawn.

“Even as I was sitting down at the collation centre, I even got text messages that my security men had been withdrawn, and they were there around me. So there were a lot of things that were said that weren’t true.

“The same thing was said that I was asked to go on retirement or proceed on leave. A lot of rumours about me being asked to proceed on leave were not true.

“Nobody or authority asked me to proceed on retirement or go on leave, and I never contemplated going on leave because I knew there was a job to be done.

“So I thought it was inconceivable for anybody to think that the leadership of INEC was contemplating leaving at that time.

“There were a lot of stories then that were untrue but that doesn’t mean we were not careful. Again, knowing the nature of our country, we have to be very careful at any point. Personally, I had to assume the worst and prepared for the worst but we thank God it did not come to that.”

During the interactive session, which was co-hosted by a group known as Enough is Enough, Jega said: “Nigerians believe in democracy, struggled for it and have been repeatedly frustrated, so it is the responsibility of every Nigerian and the government to see that these hopes and aspirations are realised.”

He informed Nigerians that the present window of opportunity should be utilised for the satisfaction and aspirations of every Nigerian.

“The challenge now is to keep on doing our best to ensure the hopes and aspirations of Nigerians are realised.

“Nigerians believe in democracy, they have struggled for it and have been repeatedly frustrated, so it is very important that the window of opportunity which now exists for the satisfaction of the aspirations of Nigerians for democracy is best utilised.

“Therefore I want to thank you for this opportunity given to me, and for thinking that we have done well for our country. I believe that we took the job at INEC as a duty to contribute to a reformed process.

“That process, I believe, has just started and there is tremendous hope for moving forward, for improving upon it and for it to impact positively on the governance process in our country. And everybody has a role and a responsibility to play in the process,” he added.

The commission’s boss advised the youths present at the interactive session to seize the opportunity in the country, be optimistic about the future and do the best for the country.

“I think that part of the challenge is that the people have been disconnected because of the frustrations and challenges of governance in this country, and we have to remain incurably optimistic about the future of our country, and from that optimism, we have to keep on doing our best under any circumstance so that that dream of a better Nigeria can be realised.

“So the young people here cannot afford to be disconnected. As a vice-chancellor, I interacted with a lot of student unions. When you sit with them, they say, ‘We don’t want to hear that we are the leaders of the future, as nobody is giving us the opportunity and thing are being destroyed in the country, among others.’

“To them it’s a basis for disconnection, and nothing is motivating them to do their best. But we have to do our best in any circumstance. We can’t wait for opportunities to be given to us, we have to create opportunities for ourselves, and we can only do that through positive engagement. So I really appreciate this opportunity to say these things,” he said.

When quizzed further on his future endeavours, Jega promised to continue serving his country in any capacity whenever he is called upon, stating that for now, he needed a break.

He said: “I will continue to serve this country until I can do it no more. So I am not running away from public service, I can work and contribute anywhere. But the only thing here is that I have done five years in INEC and I need a break.

“I also believe I didn’t do it alone, I achieved that with people and those people are still there, and each one of them can do his or her best if given the opportunity.

“I never thought I could do this job, I was just asked to come and do it. In fact, my friends and family were saying ‘don’t do it because you have some integrity, and you are going to be messed up’, but I told them that what is integrity if it cannot be tested?

“Although I tested it, it was a though test. I firmly believe that we have done our best for our country, and any opportunity to serve our country, we will do so but for now, let somebody else come to INEC and do the job.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jega-i-was-never-threatened-asked-to-go-on-leave-before-the-elections/212785/
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 22, 2015
“Nobody or authority asked me to proceed on retirement or go on leave, and I never contemplated going on leave because I knew there was a job to be done.
Sahara Reporters and APC used that line of propaganda against Jonathan and pursued it with so much vigour....

By the way, why didn't Jega say all this before the election when the heat was on? He should go hide his head in shame because his silence was seen as "vindication" for the APC propagandists

God Bless Jonathan

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Boy101(m): 8:18am On Jun 22, 2015
Interesting. One thing was quite rampant during the elections: waves of variety of rumours from different camps that make up the entire structure of the 2015 elections.

We can all heave a sigh of relief after being constantly fed with half-baked reports that lasted throughout the entire period. (Reminded me of ASUU six-month-long strike. Even the reputable Channels TV was caught in the web of half-baked reports. )

1 Like

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by sunshine1974(m): 8:22am On Jun 22, 2015
Jonathan is vindicated at last

1 Like

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by eagleeye2: 8:22am On Jun 22, 2015
Why did Jega keep mute all this while? I guess his job and that of APC is done. . We will hopefully believe the change they all worked for is worth it.

3 Likes

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Agwoden(m): 8:24am On Jun 22, 2015
So its now that your mouth is open. Why didn't you say it during the propaganda era? Because you were part of the schemes. The way God will disgrace all of you for the lies you people heaped on Nigerians in an attempt to discredit just one man.

3 Likes

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Maxymilliano(m): 8:31am On Jun 22, 2015
the whole hoopla was just a bogey sold to unsuspecting public to discredit jonathan ...

2 Likes

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by agarawu23(m): 8:34am On Jun 22, 2015
OK
we don hear

1 Like

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by baralatie(m): 8:36am On Jun 22, 2015
why now? to what purpose?
anyway........ GEJ IS A GREAT MAN GOD BLESS YOU WHEREVER YOU GO!

1 Like

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bukason212(m): 8:52am On Jun 22, 2015
They may not have asked him to but i believ if they had their way , they would hav. They comtemplated it or maybe not but in every rumour , their is a truth.
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by sunshine1974(m): 8:54am On Jun 22, 2015
my broda APC used every means within reach to win dis election. All I know is dat there will be consequences
Maxymilliano:
the whole hoopla was just a bogey sold to unsuspecting public to discredit jonathan ...
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by illmatic101(m): 9:56am On Jun 22, 2015
APC ! APC!! hmmmm

well, you guys have erected your party on a foundation of lies, be ready because this same party will soon collapse.

2 Likes

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by sunshine1974(m): 10:28am On Jun 22, 2015
The man has said it all. You what are u still saying?
bukason212:
They may not have asked him to but i believ if they had their way , they would hav. They comtemplated it or maybe not but in every rumour , their is a truth.
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Idiataqueen(f): 10:33am On Jun 22, 2015
La wa o
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by onagoodday1: 10:38am On Jun 22, 2015
APC...association of past criminals. Nothing done in the dark that will not be exposed...one by one the truth is emerging . from no more BBOG campaign to appointment of a St*pid principal and now this... God is alive.
Nigerians should always remember this
My ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian... GEJ
Gej has left a shoe too big for babaonechance

1 Like

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 10:51am On Jun 22, 2015
barcanista:
Sahara Reporters and APC used that line of propaganda against Jonathan and pursued it with so much vigour....

By the way, why didn't Jega say all this before the election when the heat was on? He should go hide his head in shame because his silence was seen as "vindication" for the APC propagandists

God Bless Jonathan

Protection seeker, shut ur trap.
It's on record that pdp chieftains nationwide (even governors) who weren't comfortable with Jega leadership continously and rigorously called for his removal even on TV stations like channels so what's ur point again?
It was one of their options but they were not courageous enough to see it through knowing fully well the repercussions.
Jega silence throughout was right on point. He did a pretty good job, it could have been better only if Jonah-daft had implemented in full the Uwais report.
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Maxymilliano(m): 11:02am On Jun 22, 2015
sunshine1974:
my broda APC used every means within reach to win dis election. All I know is dat there will be consequences

APC is synonymous with propaganda and falsehood, i'm not surprised at Jega's revelation ...

It is their way .
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 11:03am On Jun 22, 2015
barcanista:

God Bless Jonathan

Not only his silence on this propaganda by APC but also his reported readiness for the elections in February.

The aggregate of which caused depletion of our Stock market value and became a factor on Naira because it created uncertainty in Nigeria political clime hence Stock market dived.

1 Like

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by sunshine1974(m): 11:10am On Jun 22, 2015
Isn't it obvious it's u dat shld shut ur trap? D man in question has said it all.
dekdek:

It's on record that pdp chieftains nationwide (even governors) who weren't comfortable with Jega leadership continously and rigorously called for his removal even on TV stations like channels so what's ur point again?
It was one of their options but they were not courageous enough to see it through knowing fully well the repercussions.
Jega silence throughout was right on point. He did a pretty good job, it could have been better only if Jonah-daft had implemented in full the Uwais report.
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 11:14am On Jun 22, 2015
sunshine1974:
Isn't it obvious it's u dat shld shut ur trap? D man in question has said it all.

Fool, if u can't fault any thing in what I stated especially pdp chieftains opening calling for Jega removal while apc calling for such not to happen, i think u should creep back to ur ffucking hole.
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bloodkiller: 11:29am On Jun 22, 2015
dekdek:

Thunder fire your mama and papa there Hopless son of a rabid dog And a harlot mother cheesy

Ikpu nne i grin
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bloodkiller: 11:30am On Jun 22, 2015
dekdek:

Fool, if u can't fault any thing in what I stated especially pdp chieftains opening calling for Jega removal while apc calling for such not to happen, i think u should creep back to ur ffucking hole.

Kitikpa sewaa nne i onu ebea cheesy
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by Nobody: 11:35am On Jun 22, 2015
The truth about northern conspiracy is unravelling daily, why didn't Jega make these statemnts since
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 11:36am On Jun 22, 2015
bloodkiller:

Thunder fire my mama and papa there Hopless son of a rabid dog I am And a harlot mother cheesy

Ikpu nne i grin

Cool.
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 11:37am On Jun 22, 2015
bloodkiller:

Kitikpa sewaa nne i onu ebea cheesy

Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bloodkiller: 11:37am On Jun 22, 2015
dekdek:

Afo sagbuo nne i Otolo gbagbuo nna i cheesy
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bloodkiller: 11:38am On Jun 22, 2015
dekdek:

Cool. I love forking my harlot mother to stupor
shocked
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 11:39am On Jun 22, 2015
bloodkiller:

shocked Cool. I love forking my harlot mother to stupor

grin
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bloodkiller: 11:40am On Jun 22, 2015
dekdek:

grin am a product of dog's sperm

i know cheesy
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 11:42am On Jun 22, 2015
bloodkiller:

i know cheesy am a product of dog's sperm

grin
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by bloodkiller: 11:43am On Jun 22, 2015
dekdek:

grin Afo sagbuo nne m otu nne m

i know you love igbo language grin
Re: Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections by dekdek: 11:45am On Jun 22, 2015
bloodkiller:

am a product of dog's sperm grin

grin

bloodkiller:

I love forking my harlot mother to stupor grin

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Must Appologise To These Set Of People Immediately. / BREAKING: Tension In INEC Headquarters As DSS Bar Melaye From Gaining Entrance / Corona Virus: Nnamdi Kanu React.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.