Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,684 members, 7,851,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:37 PM

Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK (5670 Views)

Ohaneze Unveils Biafra Land 50 Year Development Plan / Victory For Saraki As Buhari, Tinubu’s Latest Master Plan Gets Exposed / Victory For Saraki As Buhari, Tinubu’s Latest Master Plan Gets Exposed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by NDPVF(m): 5:17pm On Jun 23, 2015
gwales:
thank you GMB, the niger delta people are very grateful
troll.Do you have sand for brain?.

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by warrior01: 5:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
I pray they finish the project as at when scheduled. Home mode activated
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 5:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
This is a great project, I just hope that Udom emmanuel will hurry up with the process of actualization of this port. Its what the former South eastern States has been clamouring for, over a long period of time.

Especially now that all the necessary approvals has been secured and all the political hoops that was hindering the project has been overcomed. the only thing that can stop it now is funding! this is why Udom Emmanuel was unanimously elected by the people of Akwa Ibom State, to use his banking wizardry to secure funds for this project and we trust that God will strengthen him to accomplish it.

2 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Stolen: 5:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
Na Baba God na him do am O! Nna di na enigwe! Thank God!

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Deltagiant: 5:20pm On Jun 23, 2015
The Igbo trooped into Lagos to live in part due to the several hundreds of kilometers their business men had to travel to clear their goods at the sea port. Therefore, It made sense looking for somewhere around to live and do businesss after several tiring trips. If Lagos had been say 80 or 150 kilometers to Igboland, most of these traders and importers wouldn't have had the need to live in lagos as they would simply go collect their cargoes and return to their bases.

I pray Akwa Ibom Deep seaport on completion would not be held down by the political "red tape" that made other Eastern and Mid western ports redundant. An Aba, Nnewi or Onitsha importer would simply rush down to Ibom Port, collect his cargo and still attend to his clients in realtime without hassles.
I dont foresee a suffocated city like lagos spring up at Ibom, instead the domino effect of the port operations will see development spread and spring into neighboring states. The Eastern and the middle belt maritime corridor will be great. This is good

5 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by gwales: 5:22pm On Jun 23, 2015
NDPVF:
troll.Do you have sand for brain?.
thank you GMB for aiding the niger delta

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 5:28pm On Jun 23, 2015
Deltagiant:
The Igbo trooped into Lagos to live in part due to the several hundreds of kilometers their business men had to travel to clear their goods at the sea port. Therefore, It made sense looking for somewhere around to live and do businesss after several tiring trips. If Lagos had been say 80 or 150 kilometers to Igboland, most of these traders and importers wouldn't have had the need to live in lagos as they would simply go collect their cargoes and return to their bases.

I pray Akwa Ibom Deep seaport on completion would not be held down by the political "red tape" that made other Eastern and Mid western ports redundant. An Aba or Onitsha importer would simply rush down to Ibom Port, collect his cargo and still attend to his clients in realtime without hassles.
I dont foresee a suffocated city like lagos spring up at Ibom, instead the domino effect of the port operations will see development spread and spring into neighboring states. The Eastern and the middle belt maritime corridor will be great. This is good

Nothing will hinder this port IJN, the usual low depth due to non dredging that hinders other ports will not affect this port as it is a natural deep port which require little or no dredging.
It will be a prefered port because it is right on the atlantic ocean with open ocean access with no shallow channel access route encumbrances.
and it will have the ability to berth the largest ships in the world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by NDPVF(m): 5:30pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:
This is a great project, I just hope that Udom emmanuel will hurry up with the process of actualization of this port. Its what the former South eastern States has been clamouring for, over a long period of time.

Especially now that all the necessary approvals has been secured and all the political hoops that was hindering the project has been overcomed. the only thing that can stop it now is funding! this is why Udom Emmanuel was unanimously elected by the people of Akwa Ibom State, to use his banking wizardry to secure funds for this project and we trust that God will strengthen him to accomplish it.
I bet you,when the port come on stream,we will match Lagos in IGR generation.Our neighbouring states of Abia,Anambra,Imo,and other Igbo business men,will make use of it.At the face of global oil down turn,we must leverage on areas where we have comparative advantage,else we will fail.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by dustmalik: 5:31pm On Jun 23, 2015
gwales:
thank you GMB, the niger delta people are very grateful
They can keep hating, while Buhari keeps effecting change nationwide.
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Deltagiant: 5:31pm On Jun 23, 2015
NDPVF:
I bet you,when the port come on stream,we will match Lagos in IGR generation.Our neighbouring states of Abia,Anambra,Imo,and other Igbo business men,will make use of it.At the face of global oil down turn,we must leverage on areas where we have comparative advantage,else we will fail.

I'm quite aware of all the topograpical advantages this port has over any port in Nigeria. But Nigeria being what it is .....

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Stolen: 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2015
This does not mean Ndiigbo should not seek the development of Obuaku Deep Seaport Abia in the long run.

It is very important that Ndiigbo are independent as a nation, depending on nobody.

Obuaku deep seaport in Abia is next. Nna di na enigwe dalu!

4 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 5:34pm On Jun 23, 2015
NDPVF:

Why do you feel the need to always compare Akwa Ibom with other states? please desist from that negative tendency it reeks of inferiority complex.
Lagos port will do its own business while Ibom port will do its own business at the end all ports will be owned and regulated by the FG and will generate income and jobs for Nigeria.

Lagos port will service the western region of Nigeria while the Ibom port will service the eastern and central parts of Nigeria.
Ibom seaport will reduce the turn around time for the eastern and central nigerian business will have to wait to receive their cargo form the congested and Distant Lagos port. thereby helping make Nigerian Businesses more efficient and also helping decongest lagos port with the attendant congestion of the city.
Its a win win for everyone, and the Country at large.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 5:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
The Ibaka seaport has the following unique features:

• Has a natural draught of 11 meters
• requires little dredging to accommodate large ocean going vessels
• located in the oil rich region and would serve the oil companies and oil service companies located within the region
• Easy access to the oil rich Gulf of Guinea
• Proximity and centrality to Deep offshore operations & West African region, JDZ, Sao Tome, Equatorial Guinea, Angola, Gabon, Tinapa.
• Could stimulate industrial, mercantile and tourism activities
• Development of infrastructure to support oil & gas exploration, shipping, industries and international trade within a free trade zone framework
• The synergy so generated would be used as a vehicle for rapid development
• Employment of a strategy that balances rapid industrialisation/ economic growth with environment protection.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 5:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ibaka Integrated Deep Seaport Initiative
The Ibaka Integrated Deep Seaport project is one mega project whose economic importance to Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria and the entire Gulf of Guinea has been well acknowledged. This has informed keen interest of the Federal Government of Nigeria in the project, which on completion, is expected to redefine the direction of economic activities in the sub-region. To underscore the importance of the Ibaka Intergraded Deep Seaport to the economy of the region the Federal government of Nigeria not long along ago gave approval and set up a technical implementation committee to ensure the actualization of this dream project and the required licenses have been issued for its takeoff.

The Ibaka Integrated Deep Seaport consists of key components are also constitute major investment areas for potential local and international investors.

The key components of the IIDS, are:
• Petrochemical Industries (eg, fertilizer plant)
• Refineries
• Five Star Hotel
• Dockyard and watercraft Repair Facilities
• Cargo Handling and Associated activities

The Ibaka Deep Sea Port is designed to be one of the components of proposed Ibom Industrial City. The Industrial City business resort is expected to house refineries, petrochemical plant, dockyard, housing estates and oil and gas support services.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by NDPVF(m): 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:

Why do you feel the need to always compare Akwa Ibom with other states? please desist from that negative tendency it reeks of inferiority complex.
Lagos port will do its own business while Ibom port will do its own business at the end all ports will be owned and regulated by the FG and will generate income and jobs for Nigeria.

Lagos port will service the western region of Nigeria while the Ibom port will service the eastern and central parts of Nigeria.
you must have qouted me out of context.Lagos is a model state at least by Nigerian standard,of a non-oil standard economy.Hence,i envisaging our economy im that light,isnt a thing of "inferiority complex",its rather called "healthy economic competition",which triggers real development.for instance,VISION 202020,is not inferiority complex,but a vision of Nigeria to be among the world largest 20 economies by the year 2020.you got it?.

2 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by NDPVF(m): 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2015
Deltagiant:

I'm quite aware of all the topograpical advantages this port has over any port in Nigeria. But Nigeria being what it is .....
you are right.
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 5:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
NDPVF:
you must have qouted me out of context.Lagos is a model state at least by Nigerian standard,of a non-oil standard economy.Hence,i envisaging our economy im that light,isnt a thing of "inferiority complex",its rather called "healthy economic competition",which triggers real development.for instance,VISION 202020,is not inferiority complex,but a vision of Nigeria to be among the world largest 20 economies by the year 2020.you got it?.

I must have, My bad! Appologies.

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by NDPVF(m): 5:58pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:

I must have, My bad! Appologies.
one love.

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by notobs: 6:00pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:

Ibom seaport will reduce the turn around time for the eastern and central nigerian business will have to wait to receive their cargo form the congested and Distant Lagos port. thereby helping make Nigerian Businesses more efficient and also helping decongest lagos port with the attendant congestion of the city.
Its a win win for everyone, and the Country at large.

This is so true @ujoinme
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Atouke: 6:08pm On Jun 23, 2015
jazzydee:
This is very nice move @op do you know where the port is going to be sited? I heard that the port is no longer going to be at Ibaka, but has been moved to a new location hence the change of Name from Ibaka to Ibom deep seaport.

Jazzydee I think you were right i just found this:

Ibaka deep sea port relocated to new site

THE proposed Ibaka deep sea port, Akwa Ibom, has been relocated to Ibeno Local Government Area, while the name has been changed to Ibom from Ibaka.
Vanguard gathered that the project analysis done by a foreign consultant and Transaction Advisers, FELAC Concept and Marine and Transport Business Solutions, MTBS, of Netherlands, showed that the port project would not be commercially viable if sited at Ibaka due to its long distance from the sea..
A source close to the Ministerial Steering and Delivery Committee for the port who spoke to Vanguard, explained that the project had to be moved initially to Okposo. The source further noted that the same problem of distance from the sea as well as the dense population, made it non-viable.
The source said that the soil analysis on Okposo showed that the earth there is marshy which would further drive up the cost of construction should it be sited there.
The source pointed out that the project had to be moved again to the third site at Ibeno Local Government Area and the name had to be changed from Ibaka to Ibom, like all other projects of the state to give it a state colouration.
The distance from the new site to the sea is about 20 nautical kilometres and also it is closer to the connecting expressway for quick evacuation of consignments from the port at completion, the source disclosed.
The source also said that the area is less populated, making compensation for displaced persons easy, as well as making the new site for the project commercially viable.
The transport ministry source said that one of the major challenges faced by the committee at the new site was the presence of under-ground oil pipelines.
The source explained that the Committee held several meetings with the Department of Petroleum Resources, DPR, National Petroleum Investment Management Services, NAPIMS, and the various oil companies on how to work around the pipelines.
The oil companies agreed to relocate some of the pipelines that were no longer active away from the area to aid quick construction of the port.
The source explained that construction work on the project is expected to commence sometime next year on a Public, Private Partnership.
It added that a few little details left on the part of government would soon be taken care of for construction work to commence.
On financing, the source disclosed that the private sector is expected to have 60 percent while the Federal and state governments are expected to hold 20 percent each. According to the source, “No government can fund a port project but it can only be achieved through a Public/Private sector partnership.”
Foreign concerns are already making inquires on what is required to partake in the financing of the project.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/ibaka-deep-sea-port-relocated-new-site/#sthash.P0rOBdyw.dpuf
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by jazzydee: 6:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
Atouke:

THE proposed Ibaka deep sea port, Akwa Ibom, has been relocated to Ibeno Local Government Area, while the name has been changed to Ibom from Ibaka.
Vanguard gathered that the project analysis done by a foreign consultant and Transaction Advisers, FELAC Concept and Marine and Transport Business Solutions, MTBS, of Netherlands, showed that the port project would not be commercially viable if sited at Ibaka due to its long distance from the sea..
A source close to the Ministerial Steering and Delivery Committee for the port who spoke to Vanguard, explained that the project had to be moved initially to Okposo. The source further noted that the same problem of distance from the sea as well as the dense population, made it non-viable.
The source said that the soil analysis on Okposo showed that the earth there is marshy which would further drive up the cost of construction should it be sited there.
The source pointed out that the project had to be moved again to the third site at Ibeno Local Government Area and the name had to be changed from Ibaka to Ibom, like all other projects of the state to give it a state colouration.
The distance from the new site to the sea is about 20 nautical kilometres and also it is closer to the connecting expressway for quick evacuation of consignments from the port at completion, the source disclosed.
The source also said that the area is less populated, making compensation for displaced persons easy, as well as making the new site for the project commercially viable.
The transport ministry source said that one of the major challenges faced by the committee at the new site was the presence of under-ground oil pipelines.
The source explained that the Committee held several meetings with the Department of Petroleum Resources, DPR, National Petroleum Investment Management Services, NAPIMS, and the various oil companies on how to work around the pipelines.
The oil companies agreed to relocate some of the pipelines that were no longer active away from the area to aid quick construction of the port.
The source explained that construction work on the project is expected to commence sometime next year on a Public, Private Partnership.
It added that a few little details left on the part of government would soon be taken care of for construction work to commence.
On financing, the source disclosed that the private sector is expected to have 60 percent while the Federal and state governments are expected to hold 20 percent each. According to the source, “No government can fund a port project but it can only be achieved through a Public/Private sector partnership.”
Foreign concerns are already making inquires on what is required to partake in the financing of the project.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/ibaka-deep-sea-port-relocated-new-site/#sthash.P0rOBdyw.dpuf

Right!! I told you there was news about the relocation last year. Am glad you found proof.
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 6:20pm On Jun 23, 2015
Atouke:

@atouke and @jazzydee you guys are misunderstanding the issue! the fact is that from Ibeno, ewang, Okposo, tom shot island all the way to Ibaka and jamestown is part of the ibom industrial city, If you look at the 3D model of the area i posted earlier you will see that all that area is earmarked for the industrial city development. the port is just a component of the industrial city and will be sited within the industrial city which covers about 5 Local Government Areas in the state

2 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Atouke: 6:24pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:

@atouke and @jazzydee you guys are misunderstanding the issue! the fact is that from Ibeno, ewang, Okposo, tom shot island all the way to Ibaka and jamestown is part of the ibom industrial city, If you look at the 3D model of the area i posted earlier you will see that all that area is earmarked for the industrial city development. the port is just a component of the industrial city and will be sited within the industrial city which covers about 5 Local Government Areas in the state

Whats your point exactly? I think we know the difference between the proposed industrial city and the deep seaport. we were discussing the site of the actual seaport. is it in Ibaka as originally proposed or has it been moved to ibeno as the MTBS(the consultant) website shows? If you have information to this regard kindly post it, and stop talking like a politician. you cant fool me.

3 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 6:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
Atouke:

Whats your point exactly? I think we know the difference between the proposed industrial city and the deep seaport. we were discussing the site of the actual seaport. is it in Ibaka as originally proposed or has it been moved to ibeno as the MTBS(the consultant) website shows? If you have information to this regard kindly post it, and stop talking like a politician. you cant fool me.

I am no politician Abeg -o ! just a concerned Akwa Ibomite. My point is that the seaport was to be sited within the industrial city which ibeno and ibaka are within that industrial city proximity so there is no relocation here as the seaport is within the proposed industrial city.

I heard from the grapevine that Ibaka where the initial site was earmarked for the proposed Nigerian Navy submarine port which is still underwraps as it is the deepest natural waterbody in Nigeria. That makes sense because its just a stone through from the NNS station at james town. So as a matter of National strategic security a new site was imperative. And that this was the reason for the delay in approval of the seaport as opposed to politics that everyone was blaming. But don't quote me on it as it is just rumor.
The most important thing is that a suitable site has been allotted for the deep seaport that is satisfactory to all Stakeholders in the project and all Approvals has been secured.LOL
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Atouke: 6:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:

I am no politician Abeg -o ! just a concerned Akwa Ibomite. My point is that the seaport was to be sited within the industrial city which ibeno and ibaka are within that industrial city proximity so there is no relocation here as the seaport is within the proposed industrial city.

I heard from the grapevine that Ibaka where the initial site was earmarked for the proposed a Nigerian Navy submarine port which is still underwraps as it is the deepest natural waterbody in Nigeria. That makes sense because its just a stone through from the NNS station at james town. So as a matter of National security a new site was imperative. and that this was the reason for the delay in approval of the seaport as opposed to politics that everyone was blaming. But don't quote me on it as it is just rumor.
The most important thing is that a suitable site has been allotted for the deep seaport that is satisfactory to all Stakeholders in the project and all Approvals has been secured.LOL

So in other words you are confirming the relocation of the seaport? See I know you know more than you were telling. But somehow i still feel you are a politician.

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by ujoinme: 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2015
Atouke:

So in other words you are confirming the relocation of the seaport? See I know you know more than you were telling. But somehow i still feel you are a politician.
You are getting it wrong, your choice of word is questionable, there is no relocation as the seaport is within the ibom industrial city and free zone. The area is large an covers about 5 Local government area, so siteing the seaport within any area of the zone does not mean a relocation. Relocation would have been applicable if the site was moved outside of the proposed industrial city zone.

I wish i was a politician then i will be rich ! LOL

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by Atouke: 6:48pm On Jun 23, 2015
ujoinme:

You are getting it wrong, your choice of word is questionable, there is no relocation as the seaport is within the ibom industrial city and free zone. The area is large an covers about 5 Local government area, so siteing the seaport within any area of the zone does not mean a relocation. Relocation would have been applicable if the site was moved outside of the proposed industrial city zone.

I wish i was a politician then i will be rich ! LOL
Okay thank you sir! A politician is known by their utterances, I will allow others to judge you by your utterance. I have already madeup my mind on who you are.
Am no fan of Akpabio and his political Godson Udom, But it will be great if they can actualize this seaport project.

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by jazzydee: 6:52pm On Jun 23, 2015
Atouke:

Okay thank you sir! A politician is known by their utterances, I will allow others to judge you by your utterance. I have already madeup my mind on who you are.
Am no fan of Akpabio and his political Godson Udom, But it will be great if they can actualize this seaport project.

Dont mind @ujoinme he is part of Akpabio political machine. A simple yes or know is what is needed here, is the approved site at Ibaka or Ibeno? maybe he thinks we are kids. Use Semantics on kids not us.
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by notobs: 6:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
jazzydee:

Dont mind @ujoinme he is part of Akpabio political machine. A simple yes or know is what is needed here, is the approved site at Ibaka or Ibeno? maybe he thinks we are kids. Use Semantics on kids not us.

What does it matter whether it is sited in Ibeno or Ibaka are they not in the same state? infact they are a stone through from each other.
Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by jazzydee: 7:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
notobs:

What does it matter whether it is sited in Ibeno or Ibaka are they not in the same state? infact they are a stone through from each other.

Yes it matters to me, If you are from akwa Ibom state you would understand. I am an oron man and this project was promised to oron people but now it has been hijacked to ibeno.

3 Likes

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by notobs: 7:20pm On Jun 23, 2015
jazzydee:

Yes it matters to me, If you are from akwa Ibom state you would understand. I am an oron man and this project was promised to oron people but now it has been hijacked to ibeno.

Its the same state and same senatorial District. Are you going to blame Akpabio or Udom? ibeno is not in their LGA.

1 Like

Re: Ibom Port Development Plan Gets OK by notobs: 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2015
Why is everything in Akwa Ibom called Ibom? Ibom Specialist hospital, Ibom Airport development authority, le meridien Ibom Hotel and Golf resort, Ibom industrial city and now Ibom deep seaport?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JUST IN!!! Tension In Aba, Onitsha As Youths Threaten War / BEFORE YOU JUDGE check out these photos With Gej And Pmb / Gani Adams Reveals How Yorubas Lost Lokoja Without A Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.