Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,672 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders (1138 Views)

OPC Gives Militants 14-Day Ultimatum To Stop Attacks / DPR Issues 21 Licences For New Refineries- The National Mirror / Gov Obiano Apologizes To Okada Riders , Asks Them To Ply All Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by drimpeccable(m): 6:09am On Jun 26, 2015
The Lagos State Government has given okada (motorcycle) riders in the state 21-day ultimatum to leave restricted routes.

The government met with okada unions on Thursday at the state secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, where the ultimatum was given.

The Secretary to the State Government, SSG, Tunji Bello, who chaired the meeting, said the government decided to give the riders 21-day ultimatum for the unions to sensitise their members to vacate the restricted routes before enforcement would begin.

He said. “We have held a meeting with the okada unions on what should be done. We had a meeting with security agencies before now on the resurgence of okada riders on the highways.

“They said they thought that the government had relaxed the law; there is no relaxation. We have decided to give them three weeks for enlightenment because we are not doing anything new; what we are doing is to re-enforce the law.”

Bello said when the law was introduced in 2012, okada accidents reduced.

He said, “We are not going back to that era again. For three weeks, they will educate their members on the need to leave the road. We need to save members of the public and the only way to do that is to restrict their movement and enforce our traffic law.”

The SSG stated that enforcement was relaxed during the last elections so that political parties would not capitalise on the enforcement for cheap political gains.

“We relaxed enforcement during the general elections because we didn’t want crisis and violence. We needed to avoid crisis at that time so that political parties would not capitalise on it. The enforcement will be in full force after three weeks. This is a law already in place and it has to be obeyed,” he said.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transportation, Oluseyi Coker, said the law restricting okada riders from major roads was still in force as the government had not suspended it.

He said, “We are doing this so that when we start enforcement, they will not say government did not caution them. The violation is much and we want the unions to educate their members.

“The Lagos State Government will do it right. We assure the residents that there will be normalcy on the road.”

Source: Punch Newspaper
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by hakeem4(m): 6:11am On Jun 26, 2015
Cool it would reduce robbery and accident
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by rawtouch: 6:12am On Jun 26, 2015
Oya now
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by tinuolababy(f): 6:24am On Jun 26, 2015
Good. They should stop plying restricted restricted routes.
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 26, 2015
ok. If its gonna enhance great development. Bikes should be restricted to some areas truly.

Copyright ©. 2015. All rights reserved cool
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by ojun50(m): 6:32am On Jun 26, 2015
this government Don start again
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by mrking3(m): 6:33am On Jun 26, 2015
we all know the Okada riders will be used and dumped after the elections. So not surprised!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by dridowu: 6:43am On Jun 26, 2015
mrking3:
we all know the Okada riders will be used and dumped after the elections. So not surprised!
meaning ? Well, they are only ban them from using major highways but how i wish they could ban them from the street cos i am victim of okada accident twice (last was 2months ago) and i know what i went through during those period.
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Bobbystanley(m): 6:43am On Jun 26, 2015
Election is Over and they are now useless.

All this Politicians are all the same.

I remember when they endorsed Ambode.
U guys got what you asked for.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by mrking3(m): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2015
dridowu:
meaning ? Well, they are only ban them from using major highways but how i wish they could ban them from the street cos i am victim of okada accident twice (last was 2months ago) and i know what i went through during those period.
meaning they relaxed the law which was already in enforcement just because they needed them to win elections. During election period the state Government never thought of the dangers of allowing the bike ment to ply restricted routes. Now they've seen the need to restrict them just because they used the bikers to achieve their political gain. Thats my point! I'm not against the Ban. Dont get me wrong!! they would have maintained the law in full force abnitio' without minding whose ox is gored!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Flets: 7:02am On Jun 26, 2015
Why didn't Fashola enforce this directive two weeks to election?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Raphtop(m): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2015
long overdue
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Nobody: 7:17am On Jun 26, 2015
Nice move.
Okada riders are like tissue paper,only useful when needed.
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by igbsam(m): 8:10am On Jun 26, 2015
Good cos since they hit the restricted roads again, accidents and robbery has been rearing its ugly head again.
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by dominique(f): 8:26am On Jun 26, 2015
That's a very good move. I noticed that the bikes were starting to ply some major roads towards the end of Fashola's tenure. This rule is one that must continue to be implemented for the safety of the citizens.
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Shaadey: 8:36am On Jun 26, 2015
not bad
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Vicadonis(m): 8:37am On Jun 26, 2015
Eyah...and these guys voted Ambode ooo.
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 26, 2015
Very good!!!! smiley
Re: Lagos Issues 21 Day Ultimatum To 'Okada' Riders by Princess042(f): 8:42am On Jun 26, 2015
Why did they allow them to operate before the election

(1) (Reply)

Aregbesola Begins Payment Of Osun Workers’ Salaries / Where Is Gbawe? / I Want To Know If One Dollar Is 196 Or 233 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.