Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,442 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (62893 Views)

Photos Of A Big Python Killed In A Farm / Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by OgbavighoAjiri(m): 8:36pm On May 26, 2016
Pls add me on whatsup 09025261299
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 9:23pm On May 26, 2016
Hi,i commenced my snail farm 2months back,i started with 8 snails hand picked from a nearby bush.I constructed a wooden snail pen,with soil and vegetation.a snail hatched 235 eggs which I counted.dia were so tiny so I guess it Achatina achatina.the eggs were laid on 30th april.On the 22nd I noticed dat eggs ve hatched.The mature snails n the newly hatch snails r Stil in same pen.I was wondering hw wrong dat is.THo anoda snail laid clutches of eggs inside d soil.Pls I want to know how bad it is to keep d tiny snails with the mature ones,Thnks.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 10:02pm On May 26, 2016
gabriellaluchy:
Hi,i commenced my snail farm 2months back,i started with 8 snails hand picked from a nearby bush.I constructed a wooden snail pen,with soil and vegetation.a snail hatched 235 eggs which I counted.dia were so tiny so I guess it Achatina achatina.the eggs were laid on 30th april.On the 22nd I noticed dat eggs ve hatched.The mature snails n the newly hatch snails r Stil in same pen.I was wondering hw wrong dat is.THo anoda snail laid clutches of eggs inside d soil.Pls I want to know how bad it is to keep d tiny snails with the mature ones,Thnks.

Nice one dear....

First things first!

1. Your soil is very bad... That's clay soil and snails require a sandy loamy soil in their pen.

2. Your specie of snail is Achatina achatina as you rightly said and that's how they lay their eggs. Kudos... You have a goldmine on your hand.
3. Younger snail s require intensive care and as such, you have to do well to remove them from there into a smaller cage where you can appropriately take care of them.

It's nice seeing this. Where's your location?

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 10:58pm On May 26, 2016
Thnks dear.
I ve read a lot about heliculture,i am using a better soil now,loamy soil.Will do dat when I go home(currently in school)i.e separate the mature snails from the newly hatch.
My location is Iyana ipaja,lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by amadasunfarm(m): 7:55am On May 27, 2016
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 8:09am On May 27, 2016
gabriellaluchy:
Thnks dear.
I ve read a lot about heliculture,i am using a better soil now,loamy soil.Will do dat when I go home(currently in school)i.e separate the mature snails from the newly hatch.

Feed them more of pawpaw leaves, vegetables and calcium supplements and watch them grow very fast..

For your calcium supplements, get the shell from chicken eggs, dry under the sun and blend with a blender or wrap in quite a number of news paper and mash with grinding stone...

Then watch them grow very fast.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 8:10am On May 27, 2016
gabriellaluchy:
Thnks dear.

Feed them more of pawpaw leaves, vegetables and calcium supplements and watch them grow very fast..

For your calcium supplements, get the shell from chicken eggs, dry under the sun and blend with a blender or wrap in quite a number of news paper and mash with a grinding stone... You can then seive it and serve to them.

Then watch them grow very fast. Don't over water the pen so that they don't drown sha... I'd love to see more pictures!!
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 8:57am On May 27, 2016
Lol!
Olryt,thanks.
R a snail farmer?can u send sme pics of ur snailery? smiley
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 9:05am On May 27, 2016
gabriellaluchy:
Lol!
Olryt,thanks.
R a snail farmer?can u send sme pics of ur snailery? smiley

I'm a snail farmer... You can go thru my profile to see my thread on snail farming.. Currently. I'm on a low key cos of some irregularities on my part and logistics wahala.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 9:24am On May 27, 2016
Olryt,dats cool
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 7:18pm On May 27, 2016
Well done.. Feed ur hatchlings with dead plants or algae.. If u are rearing for commercial purposes get limestone from agege abbatior get like 10kg.. Too much water is not good.. Like op said change ur soil. Plant water leaves, pumpkins etc in ur pen.. My farm is not to far from urs
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 12:30am On May 28, 2016
Wooooow,thnk you soo much sir.
I am rearing for commercial purpose but my starting snails "8" is kinda small.
Don't know whr to get good breeders at my area.
I guess I will buy from d elderly woman that get snail in my school.She gets it from bushes whenever it rains.
My problem with this idea is transporting the snails from akoka to Aboru to b precise.
The problem of stress and dehydration.
#Heliculture is yet to b explored in nigeria
I never imagined myself "rearing snails"
Wow!like I never thought of it because to someone that knows nothing about it,the idea itself is hilarious.After lot of research and read ing up of pdf on snail,my point of view was not same.
Snail farming is the most stress free farming ever!A student cn do it,even a child cn take care of snail,wow!snails r beautiful and gentle creatures.
According to stories some pple dnt venture it because it takes time to start making the money.
Ghanians r soo into snail farming
I hope agric organisation can help educate the youth to venture into farming.
My opinion-farming is the way forward.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 5:13pm On May 28, 2016
gabriellaluchy:
Wooooow,thnk you soo much sir.
I am rearing for commercial purpose but my starting snails "8" is kinda small.
Don't know whr to get good breeders at my area.
I guess I will buy from d elderly woman that get snail in my school.She gets it from bushes whenever it rains.
My problem with this idea is transporting the snails from akoka to Aboru to b precise.
The problem of stress and dehydration.
#Heliculture is yet to b explored in nigeria
I never imagined myself "rearing snails"
Wow!like I never thought of it because to someone that knows nothing about it,the idea itself is hilarious.After lot of research and read ing up of pdf on snail,my point of view was not same.
Snail farming is the most stress free farming ever!A student cn do it,even a child cn take care of snail,wow!snails r beautiful and gentle creatures.
According to stories some pple dnt venture it because it takes time to start making the money.
Ghanians r soo into snail farming
I hope agric organisation can help educate the youth to venture into farming.
My opinion-farming is the way forward.
Don't get your breeders from the wide buy from reliable farmers I know snail farming is easy buy it has its basis. Farmers get hard time during dry season.. There are whatsapp group u can join that will help you learn some certain things about snail farming
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by karlxavier(m): 9:47am On May 29, 2016
Please on a three plots of land, how many snails can I rear there to maturity.. My interest is on achatina achatina
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:21pm On May 29, 2016
karlxavier:
Please on a three plots of land, how many snails can I rear there to maturity.. My interest is on achatina achatina

Thousands of snails.... If not millions

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by lilfizzie: 7:42pm On May 29, 2016
pls add 08062675609
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 29, 2016
Neduzze5:

You're right bro

The snails won't die of lack of oxygen?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 29, 2016
invinzible1:
Well done.. Feed ur hatchlings with dead plants or algae.. If u are rearing for commercial purposes get limestone from agege abbatior get like 10kg.. Too much water is not good.. Like op said change ur soil. Plant water leaves, pumpkins etc in ur pen.. My farm is not to far from urs

Hello, I plan on constructing a little snail pen 2mao, I intend to use wire gauze and mosquito netting for both the sides and cover, would this work, or is it compulsory to using planks to make a wooden pen?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by karlxavier(m): 9:47pm On May 29, 2016
Please I need to be certain of the number to rear there normally. Which pen do you suggest I should Get? Free range? Please I need answers
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 10:11pm On May 29, 2016
SnowJay92:

The snails won't die of lack of oxygen?

The top of the pen will be covered with a net to allow for easy flow of air
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 10:56pm On May 29, 2016
Thnks sir
Here is my no
Do add me to the whatsapp group
Anticipating to learn more on heliculture.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by karlxavier(m): 6:28am On May 30, 2016
Goodday, please I still need the answer to my question. How many snails in numbers can I rear on a three plots of land from growth to maturity?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Nobody: 7:29am On May 30, 2016
Neduzze5:

The top of the pen will be covered with a net to allow for easy flow of air

I plan on constructing a little pen today, what's the ideal materials and construction pattern to use?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Nobody: 7:31am On May 30, 2016
karlxavier:
Goodday, please I still need the answer to my question. How many snails in numbers can I rear on a three plots of land from growth to maturity?

Three plots of land is too big an area, start with a small sized pen,

3 plots should contain millions of snail,

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:42am On May 30, 2016
SnowJay92:

I plan on constructing a little pen today, what's the ideal materials and construction pattern to use?

Use the sample in page 1 of this thread
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Nobody: 7:44am On May 30, 2016
Neduzze5:

Use the sample in page 1 of this thread

With the polythene lining you suggested on the walls??
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:45am On May 30, 2016
SnowJay92:

With the polythene lining you suggested on the walls??

It isn't a must though
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 11:30am On May 30, 2016
Did sorting into different sizes today into 3 separate pens.
1.newly hatched r in my wooden pen
2.juvenile in a large bowl
3.breeders in a large bowl

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:48pm On May 30, 2016
gabriellaluchy:

You have a problem here Ma'am. Most of the snails in that bowl aren't like the Giant African Land Snails sold in the Nigerian Markets... Some people call them "ikoto" or something like that and they are never eaten, at least I have not seen a situation where they are eaten.

Secondly, they don't grow as big as the giant African Land snails so you need to sort them out and dispose of them unless you have other plans for them.

4 Likes

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gabriellaluchy(f): 2:55pm On May 30, 2016
Yes sir,the ones with long shells right?
It is edible but it does Nt grow big.
Nt rearing them for sales.
Thnks.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by orlard3(m): 3:05pm On May 30, 2016
gabriellaluchy:
Yes sir,the ones with long shells right?
It is edible but it does Nt grow big.
Nt rearing them for sales.
Thnks.

Send a msg to dis number to add u on d snail farming grp on watsapp.... +234 708 263 8957

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 31, 2016
gabriellaluchy:

What's the need for the separation?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? / My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.