Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords (65666 Views)

Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Tips For First-time Tenants And Landlords / Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2015
I Dont Think You Have A Life Outside Nairaland... Yhu No Get Future o
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

I have a problem with the 6months quit notice for 1 year payers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lonelydora: 1:52pm On Jun 28, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

This are some unlawful acts often perpetrated by landlords towards their ignorant tenants:

You don big pass this kind thing now.

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 28, 2015
my question is, does the tenant need NOT pay rent during the period of the notice?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by BabaTony: 1:54pm On Jun 28, 2015
What if a tenant refuses to pay at the expiration of the rent? Is the landlord left in limbo? How can he recover his rent? Its not easy to build a house and expect people to live in free just because one wants to obey the law.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2015
eagleeye2:

Please be advised that you can actually give a yearly or bi-yearly or quarterly or monthly tenant just a MONTHS NOTICE TO QUIT and you will not be contravening any tenanncy law.
How it works is that the Landlord will have to EXPRESSLY STATE IT IN THE TENANCY AGREEMENT that irrespective of how the tenant pays his rent, that the tenancy will be DETERMINED BY A MONTHS NOTICE. If a prospective tenant accepts and signs the tenancy agreement without any duress, then I see why a landlord cannot terminate such tenancy with a months notice.

Yes, I made reference to that on my last paragraph
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by yorubaboiy: 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2015
HopeAlive14:

What will it take from you if your current tenants become landlords?
2YEARS DOWN + EXTRA 6MONTHS(given to dem again last year by the court) ...DEY HAVENT PAID......ANYTIME WE TAKE DEM TO COURT the judge will always tell us to be giving them 6months......now they are owing us beyond ''be careful''.....recently when this six months expired we charged them to court again..now even the court is tired and asked them to leave...now they are begging....evn God knws i wont accept

now for you to knw aw wicked they are ......... apart from owing such amount(house rent of 450000 per year) they are still owing nepa....and according to the bill its over #200000 ....the question nw is the money they make what do dey use it to do

building the house the house they wont get to liv in i guess

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lonelydora: 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

You don come back? Possessing your possession since 1759.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by cole265(m): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
ArchEnemy:
How many of those babas care about these laws and get to see these?
They ll just throw one out and life will continue.
Berra abide by his own laws too as a tenant and if you are not cool with it, Find another house.

Na juju I fear pass in a case like this...which of these baby's can be patience to go through a 1 year eviction process? ...na juju them go resort to. I pity u
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
r33d:
How about the tenancy agreement? Some landlords in conjunction with their lawyer-agents do put in clauses in the agreement, that do not augur well with the unsuspecting tenants. undecided undecided

That's why tenants are advised to read the tenancy agreement carefully b4 you attest your acceptance signature.

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by afilaka(f): 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2015
Wat abt dis scenario, there wz a day our tenent called my dad Informin him of a blocked toilet,wen my dad arrived,he called a plumber n a bricklayer,after so much stress n all,so many condoms were found 2 b d cause of d blockage.......my tenent wz so embarrassed dat he had 2 ask 4 how much it wld cost 2 mak repairs n al.den I asked my dad dat if it wz sumtyn else dat had blocked it,wld he ve offered 2 pay 4 repairs.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by ArchEnemy(m): 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
cole265:

Na juju I fear pass in a case like this...which of these baby's can be patience to go through a 1 year eviction process? ...na juju them go resort to. I pity u
smiley
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by cole265(m): 2:04pm On Jun 28, 2015
yorubaboiy:
2YEARS DOWN + EXTRA 6MONTHS(given to dem again last year by the court) ...DEY HAVENT PAID......ANYTIME WE TAKE DEM TO COURT the judge will always tell us to be giving them 6months......now they are owing us beyond ''be careful''.....recently when this six months expired we charged them to court again..now even the court is tired and asked them to leave...now they are begging....evn God knws i wont accept

now for you to knw aw wicked they are ......... apart from owing such amount(house rent of 450000 per year) they are still owing nepa....and according to the bill its over #200000 ....the question nw is the money they make what do dey use it to do

The evils of tenants are worse than those landlords. It's not worth it to rent apartment out to individuals as residential most expecially. ...better to corporate organisations and company's if u are lucky.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by damiloladuke: 2:07pm On Jun 28, 2015
great information.

PRESIDENT BUHARI NEEDS TO READ MY SIGNATURE
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Mmaria: 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2015
[quote author=younglawya post=35242672]Most tenants Don't know their rights in Nigeria. The summary of the process in eviction of a tenant from the landlords property is

1. Provision of a 6 month quit notice( applicable for a yearly tenant)

2. After that, if the tenant refuses to leave the premises, the landlord issues a 7 days Notice of owners intention to recover posession.

3. If the tenant refuses to leave, the landlord goes to court and issues a Writ for recovery of premises. This writ has to be served on the Tenant. The tenant thus has to go to court.

THIS PROCEDURE TAKES ALMOST A YEAR.

If any landlord does not follow this procedure he will be in trouble with the Law. Op how do I handle a Landlord who counts 11 months as a year instead of 12months. For instance I paid 27th of september and he wrote "to expire 31st August" when I protstd he said dat's how he counts his own. Now he has told me to look for another house because he what to make use of my apartment. So what do I do. Should I mak cas
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by GentleYoung(m): 2:09pm On Jun 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

Always FTC, addicted to NL I guess tongue tongue tongue
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 2:11pm On Jun 28, 2015
BabaTony:
What if a tenant refuses to pay at the expiration of the rent? Is the landlord left in limbo? How can he recover his rent? Its not easy to build a house and expect people to live in free just because one wants to obey the law.

That's why we have the court. When application for debt recovery is filed against the said tenant, the court can recovery the expired rents whether by ceasing and selling some properties of the said tenant.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by benarex(m): 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2015
BabaTony:

Where a tenancy has expired, the tenant is not to be given the notices as expressed above but one week notice which is otherwise called owner's intention to recover possession. And from the period the tenancy expired to the period the tenant actually gave up possession, the tenant will be required to pay what is called mesne profit. So there's no law that entitles a tenant to live free of charge.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 2:17pm On Jun 28, 2015
vimi:
Sir, iits wrong buh still happens.
Yes, that's why everyone should have a lawyer
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by BabaTony: 2:17pm On Jun 28, 2015
[sub][/sub]j
wisdomguy4u:

That's why we have the court. When application for debt recovery is filed against the said tenant, the court can recovery the expired rents whether by ceasing and selling some properties of the said tenant.

Hmmm, thats a long one because we all know how the courts run in naija. Probably that's why the landlords have to take laws into their hands, some tenants are just terrible, they intentionally don't pay and just live in the property free and one day just disappear!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 28, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

Yes, that's why everyone should have a lawyer
Lol iin a lawless country
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by KingDerailer: 2:19pm On Jun 28, 2015
younglawya:
Most tenants Don't know their rights in Nigeria. The summary of the process in eviction of a tenant from the landlords property is

2. After that, if the tenant refuses to leave the premises, the landlord issues a 7 days Notice of owners intention to recover posession.

3. If the tenant refuses to leave, the landlord goes to court and issues a Writ for recovery of premises. This writ has to be served on the Tenant. The tenant thus has to go to court.

If any landlord does not follow this procedure he will be in trouble with the Law.

For more Information I can be reached on 07037836881 or 2bc42c35
Professional misconduct.. This is advertising. grin
younglawya:
Most tenants Don't know their rights in Nigeria. The summary of the process in eviction of a tenant from the landlords property is

If any landlord does not follow this procedure he will be in trouble with the Law.

Professional misconduct.. This is advertising.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Mmaria: 2:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
younglawya:

Op how do I handle Landlord who counts 11months as 1year? For example I paid 27th september and he wrote "to expire 31st August". When I protstd he told me dat dat is how he counts his own. Just last 3weeks he ask me to pack out when my rent is due ie August bcs he went to make use of d house.What wil I do? should I mak case

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by HopeAlive14(m): 2:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
yorubaboiy:

So sorry about your situation with your tenants, some of them can be very frustrating.

If they become landlords tomorrow and begin to suffer the same fate, they should not complain.

I pray God gives them a change of heart.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Miranda11: 2:36pm On Jun 28, 2015
wisdomguy4u:
It's a known fact that most people are not learned in terms of their legal rights as regard to tenancy, this has given some landlords(rent lawyers) the onus to act in such a reckless and unlawful ways toward their tenants without any fear of percussion. You can only defend your right when you know you have a right.

This are some unlawful acts often perpetrated by landlords towards their ignorant tenants:

1. Inadequate eviction: Locking out tenants, and physically throwing them of their property or assaulting him for his inability to pay rent at when due. Only the court can order and carry out the eviction of tenants, it's a legal wrong for a landlord or a rent lawyer to in anyway evict a tenants without an adequate court process. A tenant when unable to pay rent as at when due, is still a lawful tenant and must be treated with respect. A tenant who is inadequately evict due to inability to pay rent ,has a legal right to sue the landlord for damages.

2. Inadequate notice to quit: The duration of time for which the notice to quit will expire is determine by the kind of tenancy relationship existing between the tenant and it's landlord. The landlord has no right to quit the tenant anytime he likes .
* where the tenant pays monthly: the law requires that he is entitled to full one month notice.
* where the tenant pays every six months: he will be entitled to a full three months notice.
* where the tenant pays yearly: he will be entitled to six months notice.

Any notice short of the above stipulated notices is unlawful and gives the tenant right to sue for unlawful eviction.

3. Interference in the tenant privacy: The landlord has no right to walk into the tenant's apartment or make use of any of his property without an express permission from the tenant. The tenant is by law in exclusive possession and can sue his landlord for trespass if the landlord comes into his apartment without his permission. The landlord has no legal right to decide who visit his tenant unless the visitors constitute a nuisance to other tenants.

4. Inhabitable condition of the premises: it's an implied term of tenancy agreement that a landlord who let a building out must ensure that the building is in good condition. Where a tenant after paying rent, discovers that the house is not in a habitable condition, he has a legal right to sue the landlord for refund of rent and adequate compensate for the inconveniences he caused him. There are many cases where a tenant park into a house during the dry season, and when raining season comes, the house gets flooded, or the roof leaks or any other unbearable inconvenience .

5. Repairs of premises: The landlord has no right to compare his tenant to carry out all repairs in the premises. It's the duty of the landlord to carry out major (external and structural) repairs like damaged roof , cracked or collapse walls e.t.c . while the tenant carry out minors (interior)repairs like damage doors, window, sockets e.t.c

Note: However this tenancy right is sometimes varied by landlords in the agreement between them and their tenants , Where we the tenant ignorantly waves any of his right in a Tenancy Agreement, he is bound by it. This is why you are advise to read and understand the Tenancy Agreement before you attest your signature on it.

Ok what abt a situation where you pay for a tenancy agreement and none is given to you, there are problems in the house like plumbing, flooding in the house when it rains, and water leakages from the roof. You call the agent but no one comes until d last two weeks of ur tenancy and till now the problems still abound especially the plumbing which causes terrible smells in d house as if the soakaway is in the house. These problems have been going on thru out the supposed 1yr tenancy. Can d tenants sue for compensation? Till date no tenancy agr was given n it appears d money 4 day has gone?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by ideykwum: 2:39pm On Jun 28, 2015
Thanks bro! I just added you on bbm!

younglawya:

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by yorubaboiy: 2:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
HopeAlive14:

So sorry about your situation with your tenants, some of them can be very frustrating.

If they become landlords tomorrow and begin to suffer the same fate, they should not complain.

I pray God gives them a change of heart.
same fate!!!!......i sed dey wont evn build one nt to talk of bkoming landlords........do u think am joking......my dad willed dah property to me and he was never tenant not to talk of suffering a landlord to this extent.

bro plxx no vex......am already angry

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Skymiyke(f): 2:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

U will soon go blind!Please go n rest,u ve bin on screen for too long!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 2:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
There is a legal ground to issue a court case against your landlord for issuing to you an inhabitable premises.

Contact a lawyer to help you
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by notttty(m): 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2015
Hmm pls I ve a case like this... My rent expired in April I asked the landlord to give me one month to take salary and complete the with the one I have and pay the rent. A week after we had this discussion the agent sent me a quit notice, being confidence of my ability to pay I ignored and two weeks later the landlord asked me to pay half so that it will enable me to look for another house which I comply and paid him 175k which is the supposed half think by November I will look for another house cos honestly I'm tired of the rules in the compound cos u can't come home past 10pm u will be locked out by the gateman and the dogs in the compound are very destructive as well.. They eat visitors shoes and can climb the burglary anytime to do one thing or the other.... So a week after I paid the half which is 175k I came back from the office and met a court notice on my door requesting I show up in court by July 6...at this point I lost it nd confront the landlord which he said he wants me out cos u threaten to kill his dogs but on the court notice he mention several lies including me not able to pay rent for the past year till date among few they mentioned there which futunately I have all my receipts and bank tellers of payment from the inception till date. Now am due to appear in court and I don't know how to go about it.. I need a lawyer and an advise.... I ve all the tellers of payment till this last one and audio recording of my calls with his agent and himself.. I think I ve enough evidence to pull tru... But my question is can u evict somebody that have an active rent.... Cos I'm confused...

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 2:51pm On Jun 28, 2015
adadadon:

sorry but putting such an agreement will still be void bearing the fact that it contravenes and disregards the provisions of the tenancy law.
and the six months tenancy notice will still be binding. A mere agreement cannot supersede a law unless the law states otherwise
When you put in such provision, it will be clearly stated that the TENANCY AGREEMENT supersedes all other previous laws. That is how I operate. Ask any lawyer.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by upuphim(m): 2:54pm On Jun 28, 2015
@ Poster, thanks for this orientation. God bless you

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Machiny: 2:58pm On Jun 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

what the law states is a 6months notice. So as a landlord,and you want your tenant to pack out.you issue him a notice of 6months while his rent for 1yr is at the 6month..whereby his remaining 6months also count to his notice.because law states 6months notice.so wen ever it is given does not matter.but shld be on the expiration of the rent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / only at peanut prices / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.