Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords (65766 Views)

Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Tips For First-time Tenants And Landlords / Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by donwise1(m): 1:12pm On Jun 28, 2015
many tenants are suffering in the hands of landlords because of ignorance. especially "face me, I blow you" tenants.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Swagk101(m): 1:12pm On Jun 28, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by ewizard1: 1:14pm On Jun 28, 2015
IMO... i agree with all but number 1. (For landlords that dont make use of Lawyers or agents)
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 1:17pm On Jun 28, 2015
whirlwind7:
Qkay, @OP, here's my question:
For a tenant who pays yearly rent and is entitled to 6 months notice, at what time should the notice be served, and deemed legal?

Is it after his rent elapses and is due for renewal, or
Is it in between rents, i.e, say, about 6 months before his rent elapses?

I ask this because I know about someone who pays yearly rent, and halfway into his tenancy, he got a notice to quit from his landlord. He has about 6 more months before his next rent is due.
He doesn't default on his rent, pays up regularly. Is this right, or legal?
There was absolutely no reason given for the notice.

It is Legal. My Thinking is that the landlord does it to encourage the tenant to pay his next rent or with the aim of increasing it.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by ArchEnemy(m): 1:17pm On Jun 28, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

If you observe carefully, you will see that those babas does not care about these laws only when dealing with illiterates and ignorant tenant, when they encounter an enlighten tenant, they trade with care. If not they might be made to pay damages for the rest of their life.
Including those not paying their rents as at when due?
Those destroying the house or the compound?
I believe you should not do things that will bring disrespect in the first place.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Ybnm4life(m): 1:20pm On Jun 28, 2015
This does not really happen in all cases especially if Baba Bolu be landlord and you rented the house without signing any document... Shey na baba Bolu wey no go school u go dey quote right for ni?

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2015
anibo2:
What about a situation whereby the landlady refuse to pay Nepa bills, what can the tenants do in such situation ?

The landlord is under obligation like every other tenants to pay taxes such as Nepa bill. In such case the tenants can complain to the authority in charge of Nepa bill , so that ur landlord's light will be disconnected.

But b4 u do anything ensure that you guys haven't ignorantly attest to pay for your landlord in the tenancy agreement .
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by MyMentor: 1:23pm On Jun 28, 2015
In ref 2 no.4; d landlord is nt liable 2 pay 4 any damage if it hapend in btwen d time d tenant has ocupied afta somtim.
Tenant hs d right 2 repaid and deduct tru rent if landlord refused 2 fix d prblm or ask 4 refund and quit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ybnm4life:
This does not really happen in all cases especially if Baba Bolu be landlord and you rented the house without signing any document... Shey na baba Bolu wey no go school u go dey quote right for ni?

Ignorant of the law is not an excuse . Baba Bolu still never meet trouble tenant wey go sue him if he act unlawfully. Nobody is above the law
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Innophyno(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2015
Dont worry,.u as a tenant cum nd try dose legal rights in WARRI nd watch how d landlord will put his landlord rights into display.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
PLEASE, direct such to IKWERRE LANDLORDS
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:28pm On Jun 28, 2015
vimi:
When uu just paid for a house Mr landlord says uu can't bring chics into his flat lipsrsealed undecided

Landlord has no right to interfere in the tenants lawful privacy.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Ndkings1(m): 1:30pm On Jun 28, 2015
Thiss is an eye opener to me. Thanks
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 1:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
2. Inadequate notice to quit: The duration of time
for which the notice to quit will expire is determine
by the kind of tenancy relationship existing between
the tenant and it's landlord. The landlord has no
right to quit the tenant anytime he likes .
* where the tenant pays monthly: the law requires
that he is entitled to full one month notice.
* where the tenant pays every six months: he will
be entitled to a full three months notice.
* where the tenant pays yearly: he will be entitled
to six months notice.
Any notice short of the above stipulated notices is
unlawful and gives the tenant right to sue for
unlawful eviction
Please be advised that you can actually give a yearly or bi-yearly or quarterly or monthly tenant just a MONTHS NOTICE TO QUIT and you will not be contravening any tenanncy law.
How it works is that the Landlord will have to EXPRESSLY STATE IT IN THE TENANCY AGREEMENT that irrespective of how the tenant pays his rent, that the tenancy will be DETERMINED BY A MONTHS NOTICE. If a prospective tenant accepts and signs the tenancy agreement without any duress, then I see why a landlord cannot terminate such tenancy with a months notice.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by ednut1(m): 1:32pm On Jun 28, 2015
some tenants are wicked . person use hin hard earned money to build House. they wud refuse to pay. bt will be secretly buiding der owm House somewhere

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by r33d(m): 1:33pm On Jun 28, 2015
How about the tenancy agreement? Some landlords in conjunction with their lawyer-agents do put in clauses in the agreement, that do not augur well with the unsuspecting tenants. undecided undecided
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by yorubaboiy: 1:36pm On Jun 28, 2015
HopeAlive14:
To as many as are tenants, I pray:

May God give you the grace to become landlords in Jesus name.

Amen!

my current tenants wouldnt be given dah grace in Jesus name AMEN
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by platz(m): 1:36pm On Jun 28, 2015
My dump headed landlord said i shouldn't bring in girls to my house.... Imagine
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by platz(m): 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2015
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 1:40pm On Jun 28, 2015
whirlwind7:
For a tenant who pays yearly rent and is entitled to 6 months notice, at what time should the notice be served, and deemed legal?

I ask this because I know about someone who pays yearly rent, and halfway into his tenancy, he got a notice to quit from his landlord. He has about 6 more months before his next rent is due.
Actually the Landlord is right. A tenancy can be DETERMINED if the Landlord serves the tenant a quit notice six months before the expiration of the last rent paid.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 28, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

Landlord has no right to interfere in the tenants lawful privacy.
Sir, iits wrong buh still happens.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by beyoncausme: 1:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
nice one....

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by refreshrate: 1:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
platz:

Na hostel Abi wetin?
Na you dey listen to am na.
Abi him subsidize the rent for you? some of these landlords ehn?

Guy do wetin you wan do nothing fit happen the man see go tire to para (if you be correct smasher) in fact ehn make sure say you arrange all those girls wey sabi halla like China phone during smash process.
what nonsense

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 1:42pm On Jun 28, 2015
eagleeye2:

Please be advised that you can actually give a yearly or bi-yearly or quarterly or monthly tenant just a MONTHS NOTICE TO QUIT and you will not be contravening any tenanncy law.
How it works is that the Landlord will have to EXPRESSLY STATE IT IN THE TENANCY AGREEMENT that irrespective of how the tenant pays his rent, that the tenancy will be DETERMINED BY A MONTHS NOTICE. If a prospective tenant accepts and signs the tenancy agreement without any duress, then I see why a landlord cannot terminate such tenancy with a months notice.

I don't know if I agree with that. I have seen instances in court where the Judge explains that you cannot contract outside the provisions of the law

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 1:42pm On Jun 28, 2015
eagleeye2:

Actually the Landlord is right. A tenancy can be DETERMINED if the Landlord serves the tenant a quit notice six months before the expiration of the last rent paid.

Correct. I explained so earlier
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by adadadon(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
whirlwind7:

According to the Lagos state tenancy law it is legal for an eviction notice to be given 6 months before the expiration of ones rent.
the landlord in that case scenario is therefore right by giving out an eviction notice six months before the expiration of a tenancy.
The landlord uses this to eject tenants out and jerk up rent prices
follow @myniglawyer for more info
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by HopeAlive14(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
yorubaboiy:
my current tenants wouldnt be given dah grace in Jesus name AMEN

What will it take from you if your current tenants become landlords?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:44pm On Jun 28, 2015
whirlwind7:

The issuance of 6months notice to quit can be in lieu of the outstanding yet to expire rent. A landlord is not under obligation to give a tenant reasons for his notice to quit as long as he issued him a lawful notice. So the landlord's action is legal and within the law.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 1:44pm On Jun 28, 2015
r33d:
How about the tenancy agreement? Some landlords in conjunction with their lawyer-agents do put in clauses in the agreement, that do not augur well with the unsuspecting tenants. undecided undecided

Very Correct. That's why I advise all tenants and prospective tenants to have their agreements reviewed by a lawyer. It prevents the future wahala

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 1:46pm On Jun 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

I have a problem with the 6months quit notice for 1 year payers.

That is the law
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by adadadon(m): 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
eagleeye2:

sorry but putting such an agreement will still be void bearing the fact that it contravenes and disregards the provisions of the tenancy law.
and the six months tenancy notice will still be binding. A mere agreement cannot supersede a law unless the law states otherwise

3 Likes

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by JUBILEE2000: 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
Quite enlightening.

I have a problem with the 6months quit notice for 1 year payers.

u should win an award as the most active Nairalander of the year

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

only at peanut prices / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.