Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords (65796 Views)

Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Tips For First-time Tenants And Landlords / Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by tpiander: 2:52am On Jul 09, 2015
so your own problem is the opposite of most landlords' problem.

your tenant overpaid, not the other way round.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by gabbytabby: 8:27am On Jul 09, 2015
LKO:

I would be returning it by Sunday, I won't be chanced to do it during d week. Thank u.
Do not return the 6 months payment but request that he pay the balance within a specific time period and if he does not you just carry out your rent default escalation as normal.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by LKO(m): 8:41am On Jul 09, 2015
gabbytabby:

Do not return the 6 months payment but request that he pay the balance within a specific time period and if he does not you just carry out your rent default escalation as normal.

Thanks for ur advice. But what do u mean by rent default escalation? Pls throw a little light. Thank u.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by gabbytabby: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2015
LKO:

Thanks for ur advice. But what do u mean by rent default escalation? Pls throw a little light. Thank u.
l just assume that you have one cos you need to decide what you do if someone owes you rent for me
1) call everyday in the first 3 weeks.
2) Write/paste a weekly default notice after 21 days
3) Issue/paste a 7 day notice of eviction due to non payment of rent after 3 months. Etc.

In this case he paid part rent and is already 6 weeks in so l would taper the timescales differently.

Goodluck.

When you have someone managing your property like I do they need a guide as to your expectations.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by LKO(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2015
gabbytabby:

l just assume that you have one cos you need to decide what you do if someone owes you rent for me
1) call everyday in the first 3 weeks.
2) Write/paste a weekly default notice after 21 days
3) Issue/paste a 7 day notice of eviction due to none payment of rent after 3 months. Etc.

In this case he paid part rent and is already 6 weeks in so l would taper the timescales differently.

Goodluck.

When you have someone managing your property like I do they need a guide as to your expectations.

Thanks for d kind suggestion.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by OsasuObayuwana: 4:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
kkon:
how about in a situation where the tenant who is a yearly tenant pays 6month rent at the expiration of his rent. Is it legal for the landlord to serve him quit notice on the 6months he paid. Or after the 6months. In such case what can the tenant do within the ambits of the law. Tnks

Gbam
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by iykmon: 4:59pm On Sep 23, 2015
Please can anybody tell me the duties and responsibility of an estate surveyor when he is managing your property.
What role does he play when things go wrong.
How is the agree percentage paid.
many thanks
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by kkon(m): 8:47pm On Sep 30, 2015
OsasuObayuwana:

Gbam
is that the solution grin
OsasuObayuwana:

Gbam
is that the solution
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by timtom: 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2016
please what does the law say about the number of years a tenant can enjoy a particular amount as rent cost and does the landlord has the right to increasevrent anyhow

My landlord just served a co-tenant a letter to inform him of the increase in rent from 750k to 1.2m and the landlord has requested for 2 years payment and an additional 400k for damages. This is a tenant that moved in 2 years ago.

Thanks
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by yomifola(m): 7:26pm On Jan 31, 2016
I just told my landlady that I'm no more interested in living in her house and my rent of 1yr expires today (31th Jan. ) , I've not yet gotten any place to pack to.. the reason of me telling her that I'm packing is dat she's too arrogant and likes money, every year na increment in house rent.

Is der any prove to show to her that I still have a little month to use without pay her grin
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by MASHINC: 1:35am On Apr 23, 2016
I have lived in the house for 3 years.

I was only able to pay half of the last rent.

Rent is 650,000 naira.

I was able to pay 350,000 naira.

I was taken to court and trial starts May 19th,2016.

Landlord came today and cut water supply. I have pleaded and willing to pay the remaining. 

Rent expired April 15, 2016. I now need to pay a 300,000 balance and 650‎,000 for the new year.

I up-graded the house but there was no agreement on a pay back by the Landlord. I am also not asking for any re-funds. I just want to be able to pay the rent and have my family live in peace.

I agree he needs the money but I have tried in everyway to avoid a court case. I have always appeared in court,never missed a date.

He has threatened to evict me by force by the end of this month saying he has with-drawn the case from the court.

I need assistance and am willing to pay the outstanding soon. I am held back by the current situation. This is the truth.

I am a Real Estate agent and I am expecting some funds soon that can cover the whole debt incurred. 

Please advice.

Abayomi Animashaun
08059706067‎
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by DaCharis2016: 9:13pm On Aug 01, 2016
[i][/i][b][/b]
Hello,

Pls I need ur advice here.

Am in Lagos currently.
And last year August, one man (friend of mine) I have known quite some yrs now, when I was in need of accommodation. Asked me to come n take over his 2nd room of a two-bedroom-flat(sublet). That he plans on moving out of the apartment within a short time. Then I can later becum d major occupant of the apartment, after I might have being recognized.

After considering it, I paid him the agreed amount per annum which was N100,000.

To my surprise he started acting strange, and never moved out till today.

Then when d rent was remaining like 4 months to expire, he told me to move out that he will balance me, after threatening to evict me even my rent is running, because we had no agreement and no proof that i gave him money.

And owing to the relationship btw us, we had no agreement, and landlord was not involved truly.

Now I feel betrayed and cheated.
What can I do now to fight back? Becoz by d end of August, and I don't move out, he may throw away my belongings.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by omapere: 11:27pm On Sep 09, 2016
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by yungkizzymiami(m): 10:55am On Oct 11, 2016
omapere:
Good evening, in January I rented an apartment owned by the family of a male friend, we agreed to stay in the apartment together. Sometime in April I found him touching me so I called his dad and he left. I insisted they should refund my money instead but they did not. The aunty of the boy who is the caretaker or landlady have been frustrating me since then, telling my friends I drove her brother away, in June she took away furniture ,fan and refrigerator and said I locked up the other room...few days ago she called and said her family members are coming. I didn't even agree. Only for me to find out she rented out the place to 4 men. 4 total strangers in the same apartment. I just want my money refunded. Also, I met over 5000 electricity debt, I paid 10000, my neighbour gave me her part, my landlady has refused to give me hers. Please HELP!

Sis .. just go to the nearest court near you and report ... plz do or nothing will be done
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by yungkizzymiami(m): 10:57am On Oct 11, 2016
DaCharis2016:
[i][/i][b][/b]
Hello,

Pls I need ur advice here.

Am in Lagos currently.
And last year August, one man (friend of mine) I have known quite some yrs now, when I was in need of accommodation. Asked me to come n take over his 2nd room of a two-bedroom-flat(sublet). That he plans on moving out of the apartment within a short time. Then I can later becum d major occupant of the apartment, after I might have being recognized.

After considering it, I paid him the agreed amount per annum which was N100,000.

To my surprise he started acting strange, and never moved out till today.

Then when d rent was remaining like 4 months to expire, he told me to move out that he will balance me, after threatening to evict me even my rent is running, because we had no agreement and no proof that i gave him money.

And owing to the relationship btw us, we had no agreement, and landlord was not involved truly.

Now I feel betrayed and cheated.
What can I do now to fight back? Becoz by d end of August, and I don't move out, he may throw away my belongings.

This is really sad.. since there is no proof you gave him money..it's gonna be hard
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by azpunpin: 6:02pm On Dec 14, 2016
I am to renew my rent on October 1, 2016 but I didn't because I am looking for a new apartment and I have been in search till now but I haven't getting any which I am still in search. My Landlord told me that I have to start paying monthly since I planned moving out but I ignored him, now he just served me a letter inviting me to Lagos State Government Citizen Mediation Centre saying I should appear on December 23. Please, I need an advise on what to do and do I have a case.

N.B I have been staying in this apartment for more than 4yrs and I have never delayed payment for once.

Your advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by BAYOR003(m): 8:04pm On Dec 27, 2016
Good evening.
Please I need your advice, in April 2016 I
rented a room self contain; though I moved in
June because the apartment was been
renovated by the landlord, so I was issued
receipt that starts from June 1st to next year
May 31st, 2017.
The landlord didn't discuss the amount of the
monthly miscellaneous payments of the phcn &
others, but I just know that I will be paying
which is a normal thing.
But after a month he sent one of his son to
collect N2,000 for the monthly bill. I was
shocked at the amount. I went to ask & was
given the breakdown of the payment which is
N500 each for PHCN, LAWMA, Security &
House Cleaner. I didn't complain after I confirmed from a co-tenant. I was paying promptly even
though I know it's outrageous for a room self-contained.
But after few months around September, the
community committee officials came to cut
the house wire claiming that our landlord last
paid on April, we tenant had to beg them that
we always pay him, they left because one of
the tenant just put to bed. We discovered from
the community officials that our house is
pegged to pay N1,000 monthly fee & he
collects N500 for that from we the tenants.
Also few weeks later PHCN officials came &
discovered the landlord by-passed the pumping
machine from the prepaid meter which no one
knows nothing about. He was charged for the
offence with the sum of N120,000, thereafter PHCN cut the light.
We had a meeting on how to resolve the
issue to see how we can assist even though
we don't know about it, but instead he said he
will pay N50,000 & we 5tenants should pay
N70,000. We totally disagreed. That's when
trouble kick-start.

We asked him about the breakdown of monthly
payment, he brought a fake receipt saying
each flat pays N700 monthly to Lawma, which
is a big lie. I asked what about a room self contained, he said it is the same amount. We also confronted
him on others issues like the security issues & cleaner charges, he was just giving false amounts.

About a month ago, Lawma dispatch man came to drop the bill & we saw that the house bill is N1,200
per month; N600 per flat, the house is charged
just for two flats monthly. Then we all were fully
convinced he is just extorting us, thereafter
nobody pays unless he give genuine evidence
of all payments, we demanded for transparency, not
going to be paying blindly anymore.
Presently tenant fetch water outside or we
contribute money for fuel to pump water.

Just last week, he gave quit notice to
everyone because we no more wish to pay the
monthly extorting fees.
The letter he gave me
state I leave by March 31st, 2017 even when
my Rent expires May 31st, 2017. I know even
if am to be served a quit notice at the expiry
of my rent due, it should be 6 months notice
starting the day after my rent expires. Please
what should I do, I want to handle this
lawfully.
Thank you.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by tunlex01(m): 10:37am On Jan 09, 2017
Good morning,

I need your advice on how to go about this. My rent expired December 31, 2016 which I planned to renew in January but unfortunately, I had an emergency which I used my rent to sort out. I discussed with my landlord to pay him 3 months’ rent after which I will pay the balance in April which he agreed. Last week, we had issues with PHCN and water, and I made a decision that I would leave the house after my 3 months payment elapses.

Over the weekend, my landlord requested I write a letter (like a form of indebtedness) stating that I would pay him the balance of my rent in April. With what happened last week, I would be leaving the house by the end of March but contemplating if it is a wise idea to write this letter as he requested.

Please assist.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by mytestimony: 10:59am On Feb 04, 2017
Please I need advice.
We have been paying our rent as at when due. This time we begged that we do not have money. Our rent expired November 2016. Now we want to leave. We told the landlady that we want to pay the months we owe. She said no that she and her children decided that for not giving her six months notice we will have to pay for six months rent. Is there anywhere under the law that tenants should give 6 months notice or pay in lieu?
I need to b informed please. She is actually angry cos she mentioned that her son has been saying he is seeing signs that we r building our house.(her son stays in the house). I need advice please
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eddd: 5:33pm On Feb 12, 2017
Hello everyone, please I need urgent advice on this matter; my landlady served me a quick notice last year october stating that I quit my apartment by 28th february dis year. However, I am of the opinion that the quick notice is supposed to be served after the expiration of my rent. I am thinking of handling dis issue legally assuming she attempts to force me out by 28th February. Please some1 advice me, what are my chances in court assuming it gets to that stage?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by BroadKasts: 7:22am On Apr 05, 2017
Guys please I have a situation and need your advice: I moved into an apartment 8weeks back and I've recently been having an issue with the owner of the produced property.

I live in the chalet while the landlord of course stays in the main building, though he lives abroad and occasionally visits. Up until my moving into the house, there had been security guards stationed at the gate. This brings me to the point. Last week, this security guys were asked to leave. Then I was informed that henceforth I'll be paying 50% of the new security to be hired monthly. From the start, I told them that I do not need the service of any security since the estate is largely surrounded by force men. Again, I clearly informed them that the security serves me no purpose other than the landlord's purposes of protecting his estate. But they insist that I must do as they say.

However, I've neither seen or signed the tenancy agreement.

So I'd like to know, am I in the right or in wrong on this matter? What are my rights?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Horus(m): 6:27pm On May 06, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qvip_ewFdI

Know Your Constitutional Right As A Tenant
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by INTEGRITYA1(m): 7:13am On Aug 04, 2017
Educative.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lolobukkie(f): 10:27pm On Sep 14, 2017
pls i need legal advice on this scenerio, my rent exp. april 31st my landlady wl always call like from 20th demandng wen am renewng my rent always annoyng though so as i planned payng in may she said no dat his son his movng in and,dt she is giving me.3months to move out and i said its nt enuf time to finish my own house, she asked me to,see her agent of which we neva had any written agreement wen taking d house in 2014, agent pleaded wit her to give us 4month and we paid for it,d 4month ended on 31st aug and we r still nt tru wit our own house, now d agent came wit a letter nw dat we move out by sept 31st sayng d 4month we payd for was a quit notice he gave us all with mere talk, we r askng to stay til dec, bt landlady say NO, what shud we do, dnt want to sit and look till sept 31st is here,any advice pls?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lolobukkie(f): 8:15am On Sep 15, 2017
lolobukkie:
pls i need legal advice on this scenerio, my rent exp. april 31st my landlady wl always call like from 20th demandng wen am renewng my rent always annoyng though so as i planned payng in may she said no dat his son his movng in and,dt she is giving me.3months to move out and i said its nt enuf time to finish my own house, she asked me to,see her agent of which we neva had any written agreement wen taking d house in 2014, agent pleaded wit her to give us 4month and we paid for it,d 4month ended on 31st aug and we r still nt tru wit our own house, now d agent came wit a letter nw dat we move out by sept 31st sayng d 4month we payd for was a quit notice he gave us all with mere talk, we r askng to stay til dec, bt landlady say NO, what shud we do, dnt want to sit and look till sept 31st is here,any advice pls?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lolobukkie(f): 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2017
[quote author=lolobukkie post=60475259][/quote] ttt
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by igbile1234(m): 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2019
“Buy real estate in areas where the path exists and buy more real estate where there is no path, but you can create your own.”
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by igbile1234(m): 7:35pm On Apr 10, 2019
Landlords grow rich in their sleep without working, risking or economising.”
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by igbile1234(m): 8:53pm On Apr 10, 2019
“The best investment on earth is earth.”
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by igbile1234(m): 9:17am On Apr 11, 2019
hello good morning
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by igbile1234(m): 11:39am On Apr 11, 2019
In so far as Goverment lands can be disposed of, I am in favor of cutting up the wild lands into parcels, so that every poor man may have a home.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by igbile1234(m): 2:40pm On Apr 11, 2019
Many people dream of building wealth. A goal that can seem harder and harder to achieve simply because of lack action. One of the strongest wealth-building vehicles overtime has been the investment of Real Estate. Not just a dwelling, but specifically in the land itself. The history of real estate investing has surprisingly been traced back to cave man drawings and from the looks of it...it's not going anywhere soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

only at peanut prices / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.