Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,577 members, 7,816,425 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

A Question For Tithe Payers - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For Tithe Payers (18303 Views)

If A Thieve Steals The Money I Had Packaged For Tithe, Do I Still Pay Tithe From / Uncomfortable Questions For Tithe Preachers / A Question For Tithe Payers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by zmurda(m): 9:06am On Mar 13, 2009
there is no mystery in tithing. you can choose to give more than your tithes if you wish to. i dont think anyone should be made to give tithes.
i think its all bull crap saying you'll be poor if you don't give tithes. name the first 100 richest people in the world and none of them give tithes.

Don’t be hoodwinked by the prosperity preachers in this world. I think they are just money and glory seekers, amen
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by zmurda(m): 9:07am On Mar 13, 2009
maybe on second thoughts we should all send our tithes to the pastors who haven't bought their jets yet, so they can buy too like the redeemed!!!
grin cheesy cheesy grin wink
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 9:51am On Mar 13, 2009
hubreality:

Does he need to follow this thread or what the scripture says.

This your bold competition with God and His word is terrible. Never will I debate or argue on this matter, but I'm so sorry for you Sirjohn and co who are in this competition with God and His word, unbelievers and mockers. grin grin grin

Its a shame that you will always label anyone as evil, atheist or anti-God who does not believe or agree with your Pastors deceptive antics; yet you will not provide any reasonable scriptural backing for your delusions. I have had disagreements with Image123 on some issues but I must confess that I admire his courage and boldness in defending his faith. I think yo have a lot to learn.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 11:48am On Mar 13, 2009
SirJohn:

Its a shame that you will always label anyone as evil, atheist or anti-God who does not believe or agree with your Pastors deceptive antics; yet you will not provide any reasonable scriptural backing for your delusions. [/b]I have had disagreements with Image123 on some issues but I must confess that I admire his courage and boldness in [b]defending his faith. I think yo have a lot to learn.

CEC plc members don't quote from the bible they quote from rapshodies of unrealities

In the case of Image123, i don't think he is defending his faith he is actually defending his source of lively hood hence this penchant to distort scripture to justify it.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by mreds: 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2009
I want to advice that we handle this issue with care,if you a true Born-Again christian,u sure know what i mean.I would just advice the 2 guys to ask God himself why he instructed us to pay tithes.He's the inly ONE with the best answer not we humans.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2009
God NEVER instructed christians to pay tithes, go and read your bible again. Even the jews that tithes was addressed to didn't pay tithes they took food items to the house of God and ate it their themselves with their families. Deut14:22-29
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by 2marto: 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2009
Don't worry, time shall tell.Very soon you will know the truth.What pains me for you is that your type will learn the lesson in a hard way.Just keep living soon the ball will roll to you then you will know who is the truth and the liar.

let God be true and let every man be liar.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 14, 2009
Could anyone please quote a single bible passage where christians(not jews) were asked to pay tithes
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 1:03am On Mar 15, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 1:17am On Mar 15, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by wanitas(f): 11:06pm On Mar 15, 2009
i do not particularly like joining issues on religious debates but i gotta say d issue of tithe is a sore one,

the New Testament, as i Understand it and which tenets bind me, as a christian certainly does not specify tithing as a way of worshipping God, instead it tells me to give as God has prospered me knowing that God loves a cheerful giver and no tithe-preaching pastor can convince me otherwise,

i think we shd all study our Bibles prayerfully as God has not given the prerogative to understand His word to a few select.

it is certainly not CHRISTIAN

I must add too that in religious circles, this tithing just surfacedsome years back and its amazing how people dont ask questions,
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 12:09am On Mar 16, 2009
@SirJohn
@Image123,
If you will not do away with tithing, then you are under obligation to keep the whole law. You of all people know that the process of transition from the old to the new covenant resulted in the dropping of several physical rites such as sacrifices, washings, sprinkling, sabbaths and tithing. A perfect explanation can be seen from what ttalks described using computer software upgrade (thats if you understand it)
I've been fulfilling the law all this while my brother.I pay my tithes in love,not in fear or watever.
Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
B T W,you should always remember that tithing was before the law.Abraham's giving was validated as tithes in Hebrews7 fyi
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 12:22am On Mar 16, 2009
@Ovamboland

The issue is not just about misuse of the the tithe funds but the bigger issue is that God no longer requires or commands tithes from believers contrary to what a lot of our pastors preach from the pulpit. Only true free-will giving, not of necessecity or compulsion
All this noise about free will offering.Free will offering was part of the old covenant as well.Infact,I'm still looking for that word free will offering in my new testament KJV Bible.Help me find it please.
Deu 16:10 And thou shalt keep the feast of weeks unto the LORD thy God with a tribute of a freewill offering of thine hand, which thou shalt give unto the LORD thy God, according as the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

Justice, mercy also exist in societies that have nothing to do with the 'law', it is not an exclusive attribute of Jews and Christians alone. What Jesus meant there is that the main purpose of the entire law is to foster justice, mercy, etc. but Perverts(Pharisees) have emphasised an enviable system (tithing) for show-offs and selfish ends. Hope you understand. The verse is not meant to rest a doctrine on but to show hypocrisy of the Pharisee.

Tithing and percentage giving is not restricted to the Jews either.
Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 12:39am On Mar 16, 2009
@KunleOshob

You have just repeated the lie often told by the pulpit to justify the collection of tithes in monetary form. For your information money was widely in circulation at the time the tithe law was passed, but money was never a tithable item cos tithe was food meant to be eaten in the house of God to assit your understanding please read and meditate over deut 14:22-29 which says:

Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

The Giving of Tithes

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work

As you can see from the above highlighted even though money was mentioned it was never used directly as tithes. And the instruction was to eat the tithes in the house of God with one's family. the tither was also reminded to give to the poor, needy and levites. Hence tithes is not the exclusive preserve of the levites/church as pastors tend to deceive us with malachi 3:8-10 which fails to define tithes properly

when will you learn new tricks?lipshell did not even say that there was no money.May you learn in meekness.

Besides hebrew 7 makes it crystal clear that the commandment of tithing as been anulled and it is not applicable to christians i would post the relevant verses below but i advise you go and read the whole chapter and digest it.

Hebrews 7:5:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Hebrews 7:11-12:

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Hebrews 7:18:

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

Hebrews 7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
This tithing above is clearly before Moses
Hebrews 7:4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.
Tithers and tithe receivers should be commended as shown above.
Hebrews 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Tithing in vogue .
Hebrews 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchizedek there ariseth another priest,
This priest will collect tithe like Melchisedec.
Hebrews 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
Hebrews 7:24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 12:59am On Mar 16, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 1:09am On Mar 16, 2009
@obatoro and co
So the bible is not God's word it only contained God's word? Funny!
Abraham died before the law and he gave tithe. Have you not read that he gave a tithe of the spoil after the slaughter of the kings , and he did not carry the remaining for himself?!
Please read for yourself.
Gen 14:20-24

20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all .

21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.
KJV

So it was not the tithe of his possession or income.
And it was not documented that he was practising it.

The above trash logic has been over condoned.maybe that's why it keeps repeating itself.Abeg obatoro,no vex say na during your shift o.Mr please read for yourself,have you ever read that Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils,not a tenth of the king of sodom's property?It would help if you read the whole chapter i.e Genesis 14

Genesis 14:1  And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
Gen 14:2  That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.
Gen 14:9  With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.

I believe its obvious from the chapter that the king of sodom and his friends were up against stronger kings.
Genesis 14:4  Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.

Genesis 14:14  And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
Gen 14:15  And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
Gen 14:16  And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
Abram went and defeated those opposition kings that toook Lot.He smote them.He took their spoils.That's what happens in any battle.It was of this spoils/income/proceeds that he paid tithes.He didn't take a tenth of sodom's stuff.
Gen 14:23  That I will not take from a thread even to to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

Jacob's payment of tithe was a vow (conditiona[/b]l and a personal decision ,[b] not compulsion). And it was never mentioned that he gave tithe again. Even when he got some sheep from Laban he didn't give any as tithe.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.Simply funny stuff.What is a vow?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 1:20am On Mar 16, 2009
@junijustin
I disagree.
Just because it is in the new testament book does not mean it was addressed to believers. Notice he said 'matters of the law'. So when he said they should not have left tithing undone, he was addressing people who were obliged to keep the whole law of Moses. Simply put, the law was binding on Jews.

The apostles once faced a dilenma about what laws gentile believers should or should not keep (that is, everyone who came to know Christ who is not a jew), notice the conclusion they came to from the passage in acts 15:5-29. Also notice that tithing was not in the list

Here comes a law[/b]yer.It's not about being in the new testament or old testament.What scriptures do you think the early christians read more often?The Word of God is addressed to me.I will keep it.I've got grace,that's why.
Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the [b]weightier
matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
I wonder why the least and lighter matters of the law keep getting the front page.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 1:34am On Mar 16, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 1:50am On Mar 16, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by TQFS: 2:09am On Mar 16, 2009
Image123:

Tithing in vogue .

Hebrews 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchizedek there ariseth another priest,
This priest will collect tithe like Melchisedec.

@Image123

OMG!!!, this is definitely not in the bible. Why did you construct this? And why are so many bits of that passage missing?? It looks to me like you're only extracting the portions that can be sewn together to support your position. Now if you feel like piecing stuff together, consider a true fact that can be seen in Hebrews 7:

5 Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, their brothers—even though their brothers are descended from Abraham.
6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.
7 And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.
8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.
9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham,
10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?
12 For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar.
14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.
15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears,
16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
17 For it is declared:    "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."[a]
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless
19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

If anything, that passage suggests the scrapping of the law. But all that aside, OMG!!! again, do not add to the bible. I am so disappointed.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 8:13am On Mar 16, 2009
@Image123,
Back to the original question: What spiritual blessings do you enjoy as a result of your obedience to tithe which non tithers like me and KunleOshob cannot enjoy?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 10:58am On Mar 16, 2009
@Image 123
I think you earnestly need to go and pray to avoids plagues and curses that are sure to rain on you for adding to the word of God in Hebrews 7:15

Revelation 22:18-19:
18 And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the words of prophecy written in this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by jamace(m): 1:07pm On Mar 16, 2009
I have never given tithe. However, I use my money to take care of my parents, brothers and sisters who are less privileged. Am I indirectly paying my tithes or not? Abeg, make una educate me.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 2:39pm On Mar 16, 2009
jamace:

I have never given tithe. However, I use my money to take care of my parents, brothers and sisters who are less privileged. Am I indirectly paying my tithes or not? Abeg, make una educate me.
As a christian you are not under any obligation to pay tithes, but you are encouraged to help the needy and less priviledge. Whilst it is good for you to assist the less priviledge members of your family, in my opinion i don't think your christian duty would be complete until you learn to assist the poor and the needy who are not even related to you. Helping your family can be deemed to be your responsibility and not necessarily fufilling the chrsitian mandate to help the needy.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by theteacher(m): 5:52pm On Mar 16, 2009
@TQFS

OMG! is right!

Someone once warned that taking a text out of context will only leave room for pretext.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by jamace(m): 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2009
As a christian you are not under any obligation to pay tithes, but you are encouraged to help the needy and less priviledge. Whilst it is good for you to assist the less priviledge members of your family, in my opinion i don't think your christian duty would be complete until you learn to assist the poor and the needy who are not even related to you. Helping your family can be deemed to be your responsibility and not necessarily fufilling the chrsitian mandate to help the needy.

Ok. Thanks.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by TQFS: 10:33pm On Mar 16, 2009
An additional note on the issue of tithing.

As KunleOshob rightly stated, we as Christians are not under any obligation to pay tithes. This does not mean we are against giving to God. Far from it !! Giving to God is a very key requirement for Christians but the reason and approach to giving is the issue.

Firstly, It is not stated in any way, shape or form in the New Testament that tithing is a requirement for Christians. Malachi 3 has long been used as a tool to instil fear in the hearts of Christians with the sole objective of compelling them to submit money. We must keep in mind that this law of the Levites was a requirement under the Mosaic Law which is not valid any more for Christians (i.e. New Testament churches). The very concept of “Christianity” should be enough evidence of the new and the old. Furthermore, the law on giving for Christians has been clearly defined in the new testament and should supersede others.

Remember Matthew 5:17 (NIV) where Jesus said:

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them.
18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished"

This is followed by Christ's subsequent death and fulfilment (i.e. nullifying) of the old laws.

Luke 24: 44-48 (NIV) (What will fulfil the old laws?)
44 He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."
45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.
46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,
47 and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 You are witnesses of these things.

Romans 7: 4-6 (NIV) (We serve in the new way of the Spirit rather than the old way of the written code)
4 So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.
5 For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death.
6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 10:4 (NIV) (Christ is the end of the law)
4 Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:23-25 (NIV) (faith and the old law)
23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.
24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.
25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Ephesians 2:14-15.
14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,
15 by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace,

Colossians 2:13-14 (NIV) (The written code has been cancelled)
13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,
14 having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

Hebrews 7:10-20 (NIV) (The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless)
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?
12 For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar.
14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.
15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears,
16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
17 For it is declared:    "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless
19(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

If you truly believe in Christ then you will follow the laws of grace as defined in the New Testament for Christians. For example, see 2 Corinthians.
Furthermore, the New Testament describes giving to God as an act of free will not of some form of compulsion as in 2 Corinthians 9: 6-8 (NIV)

6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.
7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion , for God loves a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Note that nowhere does it say a fixed amount or 10 percent. The act of faith based giving is further strengthened by the fact that Jesus commented on giving as a result of faith not just adherence to law in Luke 11: 42.

42 "Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

Luke 11:42 is commonly misconstrued by many to mean that Jesus supports the continued application of the tithing law. However, we must remember that Jesus was bound by the Mosaic Law prior to fulfilling the law and creating the new covenant. Furthermore, the rebuke is meant to point out the folly of giving without the love of God and justice as the primary reason. In my opinion, the tithing law (which according to the bible is no longer valid) is a loop hole that has been exploited by some people in Nigeria to extort huge sums of money from God fearing citizens. Nothing can enrich quite like a tax-free consistent stream of very significant sums of money from a large group of people. It can be likened to concerts (remember the rolling stones’ last tour?) but held on a monthly/weekly/daily basis.

I fully support the act of giving an amount proportionate to your personal blessings (1 Corinthians 16:1-2) as you feel in your heart and through faith as clearly stated in several parts of the bible, but I do not subscribe to the institution of a recurrent obligatory tax/levy (with fixed amounts or percentages) on well meaning people with the promise of blessings (which suggests attempt to bribe God) and the use of peer pressure (compulsion), media haranguing (compulsion), follow-up (compulsion), threat of a curse as in Malachi (compulsion) amongst other tactics to enforce submission of cash. Such dodgy practices are clearly against the Christian teachings in the bible and should be shunned by true Christians.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 1:47am On Mar 17, 2009
@junijustin and co

The apostles once faced a dilenma about what laws gentile believers should or should not keep (that is, everyone who came to know Christ who is not a jew), notice the conclusion they came to from the passage in acts 15:5-29. Also notice that tithing was not in the list

see,you may continue to get it wrong if you don't pay attention.Look at what brought the passage that you discussed.Its a little different from your view
Act 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
Salvation is not about this almost inconsequential things.Circumcision is nothing.I could very well say tithe is no big deal.Jesus mentioned some weightier things in Matthew 23v23.We're not saying that tithing is a pre-requisite to being saved.Those Jews said circumcision was necessary for salvation.Its emboldened above.I'm not here to force anyone to pay tithes or any form of offering.Have not seen any tither on this thread forcing others to join him.Its not by force.Its only the anti tithers that have been so grieved and bent on stopping people from paying tithes.To me,tithing is a minority.I only try to 'shed more light' on questions regarding tithes from the Bible.I thank God that to some extent,its been irrefutable.Anti-tithers keep skipping to other lame excuses and picking my words.So please be reminded again,tithing is not saving you or anyone.I'm saved before I pay tithes,not after.And remember,tithing was before the law and therefore cannot be limited to the law.Please don't forget that again again again.

True. but they also acknowledged that other believers who did not have their jewish background were under no obligation to obey the laws of Moses as Acts 15 shows.
[/quote]

It's good that you know that that the underlined was typed in response to questions by some as to whether Jesus and the apostles paid tithes.

[quote]because the law of tithing is not binding on me and I'm not obeying such law.

Moreso, the issue here is not necessarily about giving. it is about the manipulation from christian leaders using scriptures on tithing that are taken out of context.

Malachi 3 is normally used to point out that not paying tithe attracts a curse from God. But Malachi chapter 1 makes a similar case about the right animal sacrifice. How come no one talks about that one?

I don't know where the Bible talks about this law of tithes that is so smooth on anti-tithers brains.Also,I'm not sure but I don't think that I have mentioned Malachi on this thread but if you want to see Malachi,its also in my Bible.

Under the new covenant you give not 'pay'. They are two different things. That is one of the reasons why 'tithing' is so incompatible with the 'operating system' of the new covenant believer. The only debt we owe and by implication, the only payment we are to make, is that of loving one another.
Sorry I lost my 'brighter grammar' textbook.I should have just said that I give tithes,maybe that would placate you.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 2:13am On Mar 17, 2009
@tqfs and friends

OMG!!!, this is definitely not in the bible. Why did you construct this? And why are so many bits of that passage missing?? It looks to me like you're only extracting the portions that can be sewn together to support your position. Now if you feel like piecing stuff together, consider a true fact that can be seen in Hebrews 7:

Who are all these funny hypocrites?If you had read your Bible with your eyes open,you'll have seen that Hebrews7v15 ends with a comma and if it is copied and pasted,the comma will not disappear.In the post you 'picked and chose' from,there were brief comments made after verses2, 4, 8 and 15.There was alsomsomething that I quoted from one of your mentors.He pasted verses 5, 11 ,12and 18. If you were a good judge,your accusations should have started from him.And in comes KunleOshob sauntering and typing hypocrisy all over.

Back to the original question: What spiritual blessings do you enjoy as a result of your obedience to tithe which non tithers like me and KunleOshob cannot enjoy?

@SirJohn
I'll choose not to fully answer your question,but let me give you one.
PEACE.I have peace that comes fromobeying God.Obviously even an onlooker can tell that anti-tithers are restless and,
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by obatoro: 9:35am On Mar 17, 2009
@image123
Image123:

@obatoro and co
The above trash logic has been over condoned.maybe that's why it keeps repeating itself.Abeg obatoro,no vex say na during your shift o.Mr please read for yourself,have you ever read that Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils,not a tenth of the king of sodom's property?It would help if you read the whole chapter i.e Genesis 14

Genesis 14:1 And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
Gen 14:2 That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.
Gen 14:9 With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.

I believe its obvious from the chapter that the king of sodom and his friends were up against stronger kings.
Genesis 14:4 Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.

Genesis 14:14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
Gen 14:15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
Gen 14:16 And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
Abram went and defeated those opposition kings that toook Lot.He smote them.He took their spoils.That's what happens in any battle.It was of this spoils/income/proceeds that he paid tithes.He didn't take a tenth of sodom's stuff.
Gen 14:23 That I will not take from a thread even to to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.Simply funny stuff.What is a vow?

My dear brother, you seems to be confused.
Jacob's vow was conditional, He said If God does this, then i will do this, And if God doesn't i will not,
Do you speak English please?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by obatoro: 9:46am On Mar 17, 2009
@image123
Image123:

@junijustin and co

see,you may continue to get it wrong if you don't pay attention.Look at what brought the passage that you discussed.Its a little different from your view
Act 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
Salvation is not about this almost inconsequential things.Circumcision is nothing.I could very well say tithe is no big deal.Jesus mentioned some weightier things in Matthew 23v23.We're not saying that tithing is a pre-requisite to being saved.Those Jews said circumcision was necessary for salvation.Its emboldened above.I'm not here to force anyone to pay tithes or any form of offering.Have not seen any tither on this thread forcing others to join him.Its not by force.Its only the anti tithers that have been so grieved and bent on stopping people from paying tithes.To me,tithing is a minority.I only try to 'shed more light' on questions regarding tithes from the Bible.I thank God that to some extent,its been irrefutable.Anti-tithers keep skipping to other lame excuses and picking my words.So please be reminded again,tithing is not saving you or anyone.I'm saved before I pay tithes,not after.And remember,tithing was before the law and therefore cannot be limited to the law.Please don't forget that again again again.

Hmm, that trash again! Tithing preceeded the law, I've also said that many things preceeded the law. Twelve also preceeded the law.
When Martin Luther started bringing out some truths from the bible, these truths were contrary to the doctrine of the church in his time, he was excommunicated. But today see what we have!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rccg Holy Ghost Congress 2013 Theme: The Overflow / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own / Post Your Church Name And Your Position/Duty In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.