Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) (30792 Views)

Photo Of Princess Diana With Maryam Babangida In The 80s / Photo Of Princess Diana With Maryam Babangida / About Aso Rock Presidential Villa History And Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by Perfecter4real(m): 9:02pm On Jul 03, 2015
beautiful pictures. Rest in peace princess Diana.
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by oluwanoni: 10:12pm On Jul 03, 2015
Princess diana was elegant.. ..one in a million princess.
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by fr3do(m): 11:29pm On Jul 03, 2015
Maryam, beautiful Asaba woman.
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 04, 2015
Princess Diana has such an innocence...a true beautiful soul.

1 Like

Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by purpledandelion: 1:32am On Jul 04, 2015
Bless the archive that sourced this

1 Like

Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by naptu2: 6:19am On Jul 04, 2015
babyblissShop:
I remember they visited Enugu and we're hosted by the governor Col. Robert Akonobi. They also commissioned the British council library at NUT house at Otigba junction. Yours truly saw them live. Princess Diana was really beautiful.

Thanks very much.

1 Like

Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by AyodejiCharles(m): 2:33pm On Jul 04, 2015
naptu2:

Thanks very much.
hi, really enjoyed your post, where you a witness to all these activities when she came to Nigeria?
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by naptu2: 2:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
AyodejiCharles:

hi, really enjoyed your post, where you a witness to all these activities when she came to Nigeria?

The activities in Lagos? Yes.

Everything I wrote is from my memory.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by chatterly: 10:07am On Jul 11, 2015
Oga NAPTU ,
you really are an encyclopedia on Nigerias not too distant past,
your post brought back memor[es of something i had always been curious about.
Babangida used a pullman 600 stretch during his tenure,i wonder where that car is and if it still belongs to the Nigerian government.
Those cars ooze class and history, if i was in authority i would recommend it as an official state car to be used during ceremonial periods.
not the gleaming brand new benzes which have to be changed every few years.

naptu2:
The Prince and Princess were offered the use of State House Marina, but they chose to stay aboard the Royal Yacht Brittania, which was moored at Marina (across the road from State House). They were also offered the use of the Mercedes 600 Pullman (W100), but they chose to use one of two Daimler stretched limousines that are usually parked aboard the Royal Yacht (they also used British High Commission's Range Rovers).

The Prince and Princess meet children of British expats at Marina in Lagos. Behind them is one of the stretch Daimlers and behind that is the Royal Yacht Britannia.
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by naptu2: 11:03am On Jul 11, 2015
chatterly:
Oga NAPTU ,
you really are an encyclopedia on Nigerias not too distant past,
your post brought back memor[es of something i had always been curious about.
Babangida used a pullman 600 stretch during his tenure,i wonder where that car is and if it still belongs to the Nigerian government.
Those cars ooze class and history, if i was in authority i would recommend it as an official state car to be used during ceremonial periods.
not the gleaming brand new benzes which have to be changed every few years.

smiley
I planned to post piictures of that car on a very long thread that I've been working on for a year. I should have created that thread since December, but things that prevent me from creating the thread keep happening every time I think I'm ready to create it.

I'll tell you a bit about that car. It was first used by Yakubu Gowon. It was green in colour and had the plate number NA1 on it.

Muetala Muhammad didn't use it because he wanted to show that his government wasn't ostentatious and reflected the mood of the common man (he also banned other government officials from using Pullman limousines, banned the use of long motorcades and sirens, etc).

It next surfaced during Shagari's tenure. This time it was dark blue and carried the Nigerian Coat of Arms, rather than a licence plate.

Buhari also didn't like ostentation and so he used a Volkswagen Santana as the number 1 state car, rather than a Pullman limousine. The 600 was retired again.

The next time the car was used was during the Babangida regime. Babangida at first tried to outdo Buhari by using an even less ostentatious car as his official car, thus he used a Peugeot 504 from 1985-1988.

Margaret Thatcher visited Nigeria in 1988 and the 600 was used to convey her around Lagos. This time the car was painted black and "NIGERIA" was written on its licence plate (white letters on a green background).

The car became the number 1 state car from 1988-1991. It was joined by the Peugeot 505 7V in 1989 (a 4door long wheel base car. It was about the same length as the 600).

Nigeria hosted the OAU summit in Abuja in 1991 and CVU and the ground fleet got around 32 6-door Mercedes Benz W124 (aka V-Boot) limousines. One of these cars became the number 1 state car.

However, the 600 was used by Babangida on August 27th, 1993 when he "stepped aside". It conveyed him to the Parade Ground where he handed over to Shonekan. It was then flown to Minna for the reception ceremony for Babangida, then flown to Benin for Aikhomu's reception ceremony.

The next time that car was seen in public was on May 29th, 2007 when it was used by President Obasanjo. It conveyed him to and from the Eagle Square where he handed over to President Yar'Adua. It also took him to the Abuja City Gate where he was given the key to the city and it then took him to the airport.

That car is so special that it was never kept at CVU (where all the unused Pullman limousines are usually kept) or at 15 Awolowo Road. It was always kept at Dodan Barracks, even when it was not being used.

p.s. I also have pictures of the 505 7V and most of the other Pullman limousines.

1 Like

Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by chatterly: 11:28am On Jul 11, 2015
wow,
Thank you so much,i never knew OBJ used the car
Thanks for the info,looking forward to your thread,a comment though,buhari also used the shagari s class benzes left behind by president shagari with the coat of arms on them
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by chatterly: 11:36am On Jul 11, 2015
hello,
saw a video on youtube that is very interestinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akV2HsCQDY
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by initiate: 11:54am On Jul 11, 2015
days of the Peugeots
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by OreMI22: 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
naptu2:
On March 17 the royal couple visited Maiduguri where they met the Shehu of Borno, were treated to a Durbar, visited a leprosy hospital and a village just outside the city.

Wonder if any international figure will ever visit maiduguri again. All lost in the quest to make Nigeria ungovernable if our man isn't in power
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by greatgod2012(f): 9:07am On Feb 17, 2017
Very educative!

@naptu2, have you removed the pictures, my browser refused to show pictures o and I want to see the pictures. Thanks!
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by naptu2: 9:13am On Feb 17, 2017
greatgod2012:
Very educative!

@naptu2, have you removed the pictures, my browser refused to show pictures o and I want to see the pictures. Thanks!

I'll add them again.
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by naptu2: 12:12pm On Feb 17, 2017
greatgod2012:
Very educative!

The pictures are now visible.
Re: Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) by greatgod2012(f): 4:17pm On Feb 17, 2017
naptu2:

The pictures are now visible.

Thanks so much sir

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Helen Okoye Burial: Patience And Goodluck Jonathan Spotted In Anambra / Bandits Attack Shiroro, Niger State. 15 People Drown While Trying To Escape / New Photo Of Aisha Buhari (adorable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.