Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

My Baking Hobby.. :D - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Baking Hobby.. :D (24640 Views)

When She Says Cooking Is Her Hobby / Baking With Local Oven / Photo: Wow! This Is An Amazing Exhibition Of Creativity In Baking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by nifdem: 1:16pm On Oct 20, 2015
Ok...thanks. pls is it just butter u added to baked cake before covering with fondant or butter icing. If it is butter icing,is it same measurement u gave above u used....thanks for ur time
purplelips:
To make buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of full fat milk and let it stand for 10 minutes.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:31pm On Oct 20, 2015
nifdem:
Ok...thanks. pls is it just butter u added to baked cake before covering with fondant or butter icing. If it is butter icing,is it same measurement u gave above u used....thanks for ur time
yeah... buttercream... same measurement.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 20, 2015
purplelips:
It's been a while I posted.... got more cake works.. smiley I had a free week for me the first time in months and I just did what I love doing.... baking cakes cheesy
And you're good at it!
I don't know you but I'm proud of you and admire your passion....don't lose that smiley

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:19pm On Oct 21, 2015
RobinLongstride:

And you're good at it!
I don't know you but I'm proud of you and admire your passion....don't lose that smiley
Awww.... thank you. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by maritose: 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2015
Hi, am also a cake lover. Pls ow did U̶̲̥̅̊ do d basket design and what tool did U̶̲̥̅̊ use to carve out d rose shape.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Fabzgrace(f): 11:58am On Oct 26, 2015
Nice thread! I also have a love for baking cakes tøo but i haven't tried out fondant yet embarassed I'm following. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 5:56pm On Oct 26, 2015
maritose:
Hi, am also a cake lover. Pls ow did U̶̲̥̅̊ do d basket design and what tool did U̶̲̥̅̊ use to carve out d rose shape.
I guess this should help. for the roses I used tip #104. smiley

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 6:00pm On Oct 26, 2015
Fabzgrace:
Nice thread!
I also have a love for baking cakes tøo but i haven't tried out fondant yet embarassed
I'm following. smiley
You can try it.. just use the recipe I shared. You'd be amazed how well it would come out. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Fabzgrace(f): 6:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
purplelips:
You can try it.. just use the recipe I shared. You'd be amazed how well it would come out. smiley
thanks. I'll try it soon.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 28, 2015
Hi purplelips, nice work here. I'm an upcoming baker though, still doing butter icing. Really like those butter flower designs on your cake. How do you make them?
Btw, I sent you an email so please reply soon. Thank you alot

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 5:46pm On Nov 01, 2015
pelontus:
Hi purplelips, nice work here. I'm an upcoming baker though, still doing butter icing. Really like those butter flower designs on your cake. How do you make them?
Btw, I sent you an email so please reply soon. Thank you alot
I've replied you smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by spiceechic(f): 12:46am On Nov 07, 2015
purplelips:
For buttercream I use
200g butter/margarine
500g icing sugar
2 teaspoons of water

For fondant... I used Bece's recipe but substitute the 1/8 cup of water with 1/4cup. Here's a screenshot. smiley

Thanks darl...
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by JENMAUCY(f): 7:59am On Nov 10, 2015
cynhamscakes:
Hi Purple, kudos to you. Your fondant is really neat for a first timer. The first fondant covered cake i did was like a a sacrificial cake to the gods. ...lol. that was then sha.

I saw your recipe. Your sugar though its the appropriate measurement but you can try reducing it to 400g, then replace the 1 cup of water/milk with same quantity buttermilk.
can I talk to you please,i need your help on something
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Narnah(f): 10:03pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pls can anyone help with the recipe of red velvet cake
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by chommyAngela: 1:22pm On Nov 24, 2015
i love ur courage op,pls i knw how to bake cake but i dont knw how to do d icing part.pls share wit us d things we will buy for d icing of cake nd steps on how to do it.thx

2 Likes

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 8:52am On Dec 02, 2015
Hi all,
Nice work purplelips. How are you getting on now? Hope your fondant works are getting more and more easier by the minute.

I am a cake lover/baker who just ventured into the art of cake decorating and is journaling my cake journeys on http://ceescraftdesign.weebly.com/. I would like to feature other budding cake decorators who would like to participate in research about how they started, why they started and what they hope to get out of the art of cake decorating.
Attached is a recent photo of the latest cake I made (unfortunately I only make cakes mostly for people at home or when friends who know about my cake making ask as such it might be few and far in between)

Thanks and bless you.

Apologies if this is a cross posting or has offended anyone. That isn't what I was trying to put out.

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 8:39am On Dec 03, 2015
mooretes:
Hi all,
Nice work purplelips. How are you getting on now? Hope your fondant works are getting more and more easier by the minute.

I am a cake lover/baker who just ventured into the art of cake decorating and is journaling my cake journeys on http://ceescraftdesign.weebly.com/. I would like to feature other budding cake decorators who would like to participate in research about how they started, why they started and what they hope to get out of the art of cake decorating.
Attached is a recent photo of the latest cake I made (unfortunately I only make cakes mostly for people at home or when friends who know about my cake making ask as such it might be few and far in between)

Thanks and bless you.

Apologies if this is a cross posting or has offended anyone. That isn't what I was trying to put out.
Thank you. smiley

I haven't decorated in a while. My electric mixer broke.... sad and I'm yet to get another one. So until I have the money to get a new, baking postponed. Got new recipes I'm really looking forward to trying out cheesy and I really can't wait. cheesy

Btw, did you make that all by yourself?! It's beautiful.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 10:51am On Dec 03, 2015
@purplelips, that's a shame. Hopefully you get one soon.

Yes I made the cake after watching several videos of how to make a 3D minion cake. Thanks a lot.

Enjoy the rest of your day x
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by dexcira(f): 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2015
purplelips:
I guess this should help. for the roses I used tip #104. smiley
. Pls how did u get dose flower design on ur cakes They are so fyn.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 2:04pm On Dec 03, 2015
@ raayah,
Cakes are made depending on the type requested and the type of recipe the cake calls for.

I suppose like you, most Nigerians prefer the harder/dense cakes (your Nigerian one) to very soft/melt in your mouth cakes (those you referred to as been made overseas), tbh, I am unsure why this preference because there are loads of good cakes out there to try.

For me, when a cake is too hard, you would need to drink loads which takes away from the taste of your cake.
One exception though is the mud cake which is mostly associated with wedding cakes in Australia. This cake is so rich, moist and "chocolatey" that you only need a little bite otherwise, you are writing letter to heart attack.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by jokky4u: 8:22am On Dec 05, 2015
pls can anyone help me out with cake decoration and design,I only know how to bake cake.I base in Ilorin thou.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 05, 2015
Pls can you give me the oyibo cake recipe. Tired of eating hard cake. Will prefer cup measurements.
Thanks in advance

mooretes:
@ raayah,
Cakes are made depending on the type requested and the type of recipe the cake calls for.

I suppose like you, most Nigerians prefer the harder/dense cakes (your Nigerian one) to very soft/melt in your mouth cakes (those you referred to as been made overseas), tbh, I am unsure why this preference because there are loads of good cakes out there to try

For me, when a cake is too hard, you would need to drink loads which takes away from the taste of your cake.
One exception though is the mud cake which is mostly associated with wedding cakes in Australia. This cake is so rich, moist and "chocolatey" that you only need a little bite otherwise, you are writing letter to heart attack.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by nifdem: 11:28am On Dec 05, 2015
I don't mind if u can give me me the recipe of d oversees cakes that's soft and melt in the mouth in grams...thanks and God bless
mooretes:
@ raayah,

I suppose like you, most Nigerians prefer the harder/dense cakes (your Nigerian one) to very soft/melt in your mouth cakes (those you referred to as been made overseas), tbh, I am unsure why this preference because there are loads of good cakes out there to try.

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 6:10pm On Dec 06, 2015
Hi Nifdem and MrsOJ,
I will convert measurements and send to you asap.

Have a good evening
X
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 6:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
@nifdem sorry will send to u in grams
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
mooretes:
Hi Nifdem and MrsOJ,
I will convert measurements and send to you asap.

Have a good evening
X

Ok waiting in advance. shocked
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 7:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
dexcira:
. Pls how did u get dose flower design on ur cakes They are so fyn.
Check here. smiley www.wilton.com/roses/WLTECH-129.html
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by dexcira(f): 9:53pm On Dec 06, 2015
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by nifdem: 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2015
Aiit..waiting...thanks
mooretes:
@nifdem sorry will send to u in grams
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 11:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
@MrsOJ
Here is a link to one of my favourite cakes, though I just confess I don't like chocolate cake, however this recipe is really lovely and the cake very moist. Instead of expresso coffee just use normal coffee.

http://addapinch.com/cooking/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/

She has several other recipes but I haven't tried them yet.
I have added a screenshot of the recipe.

Also,where it says a cup of boiling water, please make sure it is a cup of boiling water.

You can make the cake using just a bowl and a laddle instead of a mixer because I have always used a bowl without any problem.

Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), cocoa powder and coffee

In another bowl, mix your vanilla, eggs, milk and vegetable oil.

Ps: Ive read somewhere that if using powdered milk, mix 2 tablespoon of milk with a cup of water (I haven't tried this, but I do have another information on how to use powdered milk, only, I'd have to search for it).

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well, at this stage the mix will be somewhat hard in consistency, add your boiling water and mix, this will make your mixture thin, don't worry, nothing is wrong with your mix.

Bake using an 8 inch or 9 inch pan, btw 50-60mins, oven temperature 140-160.
I hardly use 180, if you want a moist cake, bake on low heat for a little longer.

Ps: Turn oven to 140 before you start mixing.
If using two pans like the woman suggested, then baking time would be about 30-45mins

Nifdem, urs will come in grams, just wanted to drop something in the meantime

1 Share

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 08, 2015
Thanks, I've not baked a chocolate cake b4.
It will be a Christmas treat for family and friends.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by hairbraiding: 6:47am On Dec 08, 2015
Chocolate cake making serious sense since AD I no know when.

Add some chopped almonds and dried currants to the mix and see how that turns out. mmmmm

And yes, soft cakes rock. That hard dry consistency is a no no. I think sometimes, the cake is simply stale. Nothing better than fresh, bouncy cake.

@op please show pics of cupcakes or do you not focus on those?

Share your hair photos: http://www.hairbraidingnetwork.com/photo/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sokoto Meat Market (Chicken Section) / Homemade Jollof Rice / Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.