Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? (17793 Views)

Top Six Most Endangered Animals In Nigeria(pics, Video) / 21 Overwhelming Images Showing The Effects Of Humans On Earth / Animals! Super Animals! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 12:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
sonofananimal:

I MAY BE YOUR FATHER'S BASTARD SON undecided
none of my brothers are bastards wink so go look for ur real father. #am out.

1 Like

Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:
none of my brothers are bastards wink so go look for ur real father. #am out.

I THINK YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ AND UNDERSTAND undecided
YOUR FATHER IS MY FATHER
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
johnydon22:
I think this factor is a very huge stumbling block to the development of science in Nigeria. No wonder many of them cannot even define science they make it out to be a religion or belief system . . .its frustrating and very disturbing... Yesterday i watched a documentary on North korea space voyages. . i was like WTF and Nigeria has not even invested even one naira for this. . i was ashamed

I study Computer Science in the UK, I feel somewhat cheated when my classmates say they've been programming and building computers since they were children. I'm glad my parents exposed me to technology at an early age but most Nigerian parents don't. They say things like, "internet is bad, it corrupts children".

Living in a developed country has really opened my eyes to see how far the world has gone scientifically and technologically. I think that in Nigeria, attitude is our biggest problem.

In the neighbourhood where I live back home, some of the landlords were trying to put up streetlights 'cause the entire street was pitch black at night. It took almost a year for all the households to contribute a mere N1000 for the streetlights because no one wanted to spend any money. Even after the street lights were installed in front of each house, the occupants of the house didn't bother to put off the lights during the day when there was no need for them, save for two houses.

Eventually, the bulbs died and we're now back to darkness, no one, except those two houses, has even bothered to change the bulbs of the lights in front of their own houses.

Even in so many businesses, people are late to work, bad at their jobs and treat customers anyhow only to say "how much are they paying me sef?"

Corruption, ignorance, hypocrisy, religious intolerance, extremism and tribalism is rife but all we do is blame our leaders. We have a responsibility to make the world better for ourselves and the coming generations. I've personally decided to dedicate myself to that.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
sonofananimal:

I THINK YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ AND UNDERSTAND undecided
YOUR FATHER IS MY FATHER
k.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 04, 2015
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by johnydon22(m): 12:33pm On Jul 04, 2015
Velocitron:

I study Computer Science in the UK, I feel somewhat cheated when my classmates say they've been programming and building computers since they were children. I'm glad my parents exposed me to technology at an early age but most Nigerian parents don't. They say things like, "internet is bad", it corrupts children.

Living in a developed country has really opened my eyes to see how far the world has gone scientifically and technologically. I think that in Nigeria, attitude is our biggest problem.

In the neighbourhood where I live back home, some of the landlords were trying to put up streetlights 'cause the entire street was pitch black at night. It took almost a year for all the households to contribute a mere N1000 for the streetlights because no one wanted to spend any money. Even after the street lights were installed in front of each house, the occupants of the house didn't bother to put off the lights during the day when there was no need for them, save for two houses.

Eventually, the bulbs died and we're now back to darkness, no one, except those two houses, has even bothered to change the bulbs of the lights in front of their own houses.

Even in so many businesses, people are late to work, bad at their jobs and treat customers anyhow only to say "how much are they paying me sef?"

Corruption, ignorance, hypocrisy, religious intolerance, extremism and tribalism but all we do is blame our leaders. We have a responsibility to make the world better for ourselves and the coming generations. I've personally decided to dedicate myself to that.
I am solidly with you on that... i was born and brought up in a ghetto. .lol. .and you know this trait of scientific ignorance and blatant corruption is a norm for ghetto cities.
I run an extra curricular lesson for children in primary and sec here for free fridays and Saturdays, i take them way past the limits they have so naively speculated for themselves its not just a normal lesson, i emphasize more on scientific subjects…We can only do out own little part to change things around us

3 Likes

Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 04, 2015
johnydon22:

It was not an argument bro, the Op brought out a topic open to discussion. . . Most people tend to rely on human perception when judging other animals
Your analyses on the topic are spot-on. When engaging in this kind of discourse, most people tend to adopt a subjective approach whereby they judge the behaviors of animals based on human perception. I believe an objective approach would do justice to the topic; a fair comparison and judgement can be made from the view points of physiologists and behavioral psychologists, like the one given below:
TONYE001:
I'll make my comment from the view point of a Physiologist.

It's our higher intellectual abilities that differentiate us from our lower brothers. Our frontal cortex is extensively developed..The frontal cortex is the anterior part of the "brain". This part of the brain undergoes the highest level of postnatal development.

Why is this important to us? The dorsolateral and orbitolateral prefrontal cortex give us the ability to carry out executive functions - planning, sequencing of activities, memory, division of attention, emotion management, personality, etc. In fact, the subcallosal and subgenual regions of our brains are implicated in suicidal tendencies. With these, humans have the ability to carry out complex functions.

As for our animal brothers, phylogenetically older regions of the brain such as the limbic system are more developed in them. These regions are involved in olfaction and other life-saving functions. A good example of this is the incredible olfactory skills of a lion. It's able to pick up the smell of a potential prey meters away.

So, cognition and general coordination are the major differentiating factors between humans and other animals.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 12:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
kayalla:
sorry this topic should be what distinguishes animals from humans?
we're higher animals miss.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
johnydon22:

I am solidly with you on that... i was born and brought up in a ghetto. .lol. .and you know this trait of scientific ignorance and blatant corruption is a norm for ghetto cities.
I run an extra curricular lesson for children in primary and sec here for free fridays and Saturdays, i take them way past the limits they have so naively speculated for themselves its not just a normal lesson, i emphasize more on scientific subjects…We can only do out own little part to change things around us

That's very, very admirable!
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by momahnany(m): 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
IQ
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Spybradd: 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
Humans have answered for humans,however the views of animals are needed here..so a zoogerian in the...err person of BluePulse shud zap his jablesxs_arsse over here to expartiate on that..
grin cool
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Spybradd: 12:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
Humans have answered for humans,however the views of animals are needed here..so a zoogerian in the ani...err person of BluePulse shud zap his jablesxs_arsse over here to expartiate on that..
grin cool

ZOOGEEBLUFPULSE,where @thou?
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by kayalla(f): 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:

we're higher animals miss.

lower i would say.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
kayalla:

lower i would say.
What makes you say that?
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by BluePulse: 1:23pm On Jul 04, 2015
Science has made several pitches on this issue. But d 'sense' is always a distinguishing factor. Sense in how we talk, think and act. By these, we place ourselves higher or lower than animals.

A human in context can be an animal by behaviour, but an animal can't be a human by any character choice.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by kayalla(f): 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
gensteejay:

What makes you say that?

going by the human behavior these days i would we should learn from the animals
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 1:27pm On Jul 04, 2015
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by KingTom(m): 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:

go and shoot your biology teacher.
Shoot? He should burn the fool with HCL. God!!! grin
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 3:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
KingTom:
Shoot? He should burn the fool with HCL. God!!! grin
hahaha....wicked!
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by KingTom(m): 3:04pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:

hahaha....wicked!
The guy has taken stupidity to a whole new level grin
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
KingTom:
The guy has taken stupidity to a whole new level grin
loool, he truly is the sonofananimal grin
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by no2fuks(m): 3:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
difference is spiritual. animals dont have spirit so they cant be pastor, witch, possessed etc.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by KingTom(m): 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:

Na First class Cretin grin

1 Like

Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by NobleG1(m): 3:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
What distinguishes humans from other animals?
ST*UPIDITY.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 3:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
NobleG1:
What distinguishes humans from other animals?
ST*UPIDITY.
so which are the stupid ones? humans/animals
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by yongnoble(m): 3:44pm On Jul 04, 2015
Humans can tame any animal but animals can't
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:
MUST YOU SUMMON MY NAME angry
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by RobinHez(m): 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
sonofananimal:
MUST YOU SUMMON MY NAME angry
dont be annoyed, we were just discussing about u grin

1 Like

Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Reference(m): 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2015
Kwarrapshan!
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by NobleG1(m): 4:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
RobinHez:

so which are the stupid ones? humans/animals

Of course, humans.
Re: What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 04, 2015
Velocitron:

I study Computer Science in the UK, I feel somewhat cheated when my classmates say they've been programming and building computers since they were children. I'm glad my parents exposed me to technology at an early age but most Nigerian parents don't. They say things like, "internet is bad, it corrupts children".

Corruption, ignorance, hypocrisy, religious intolerance, extremism and tribalism is rife but all we do is blame our leaders. We have a responsibility to make the world better for ourselves and the coming generations. I've personally decided to dedicate myself to that.
wow, impressive.
But one must realize that they had the materials, hence their having built computers since tender ages. Here i nigeria, even if you unscrew a TOY computer, you will be punished for being a destructive child.

You may think the problem with nigeria is attitude, . i think it also has a little to do with IQ. I once watched a teen show, where some teens were being interviewed. And the interviewer asked them why they wanted to go to college. As in, university. All the white and asian kids gave solid and admirable reasons. The ONLY black kid there said he was going because everyone else was. Such lack of purpose can only be attributed to lack of deep thought. I was not exposed to tech by my parents at all. They wanted me to be a doctor. But, I chose what i wanted by myself. Sometimes, it's not about the society, but the individual.
One can always make a choice. Either to wallow in mediocrity, or to stand tall and lead the way to a better future.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home / Woman Puts Her Hand Inside A Shark's Mouth To Release Hook / Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.