Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,110 members, 7,818,311 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. (18102 Views)

Jonathan: Obama Made It Clear He Wanted Change Of Govt In Nigeria / Buhari, AGF Meet Over Probe Of Govt Officials / 8-Year-Old Children Among Bauchi "Teachers" On Payroll Of Govt. - Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by EriSaho: 4:04pm On Jul 04, 2015
You can't compare between Boko Haram to Taliban.

Boko Haram is not idealogically close to the Taliban. Boko Haram is much more extreme whereas Taliban is a lesser extreme and more focused on driving the occupation out like the Vietcong and establish their own rule in their country but the Bokos are targetting on its own population.

How can Boko Haram negotiate with the government when they clearly said they blasphemized (aka made takfeer) on the population who oppose them? There is no way they will accept to negotiate for peace.

Unfortunately, it's the ugly truth. Perhaps a divided Nigeria between the North and South is something they may agree with like the Kurds and Somalia/Somaliland.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
are u not the Olodo here? Give us a link to where Buhari said he ld crush Boko haram within a month.

This nairaland is becoming tiring because of dick caps like you

Great job, Omenka.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/we-ll-crush-boko-haram-within-two-months-buhari/
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by abbasbo003(m): 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
WRONG IDEA...
WHO NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS? AFTER NEGOTIATING WITH THEM AND IN THE FUTURE IF THEY CAN FULFILTTHEIR PROMISE TERRORISTS WILL AGAIN CARRY OUTTHEIR ACT JUST LIKE THE MILITANT. PMG, U DEY Bleep UP OOO

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by nunzk: 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
But please, d promise made was "we will defeat bok...." Not "we will discuss or negotiate or even sort out. Boko" which wld ve brought in alternative means of settlement. Wellsouth south don chop make we see if this will be d neastern version of amnesty. However, anytin which involves d rest of us converting or rather receiving amnesty from boko will not work o!!
talktimi:
Work for your money op, I would have been surprised if you actually had a contrary view to the actions and decisions being taken by your paymasters.

Ps: It's a done deal, boko haram are going to be integrated into the amnesty program by this administration

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by discusant: 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
Boko Haram's pursuit is not just political, it is mainly religious -Boko Haram wants a country friendly with use of sharia criminal codes.

Millions of people in the north of Nigeria want a country governed with sharia criminal codes - like stoning women to death for adultery; cutting hands of petty thieves, sentencing people to death for blasphemy, etc.

When Nigeria negotiates and possibly pays off millions of Dollars to the present crop of Boko Haram, another group must crop up.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
are u not the Olodo here? Give us a link to where Buhari said he ld crush Boko haram within a month.

Great job, Omenka.

His words: “ If you elect me as the president of Nigeria on February 14, 2015, I am assuring you that our government will chase Boko Haram out of Nigeria within two months because it is the responsibility of any reasonable government to secure the lives and property of its citizens.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/apc-govt-will-tackle-boko-haram-within-2-months-buhari/

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by preselect(m): 4:13pm On Jul 04, 2015
[size=13pt]this man is a fraud. . . . a very nasty bigot. . . . . . a scion of the islamic narcissistic caliphate with a born to rule attitude. . . . .this cattle reare. . . this con man. . . . this imbecilic, senile, demented, evil and blood thirsty agent of sharia. . . . . by the time he is done, in 2019. . . or God forbid 2023. . . . .nigeria. . . . . . . will be a wasteland.

This Presidiot of the Unfortunate Republic of Nigeria will be the darkest spot in the pathetic history of this Unfortunate Republic of Nigeria

Who will deliver Nigeria from this Abomination called Buhari?[/size]

[size=22pt]and what happened to the chibok girls?[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by ShowYourCertificate: 4:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:

Great job, Omenka.

This was during his interview with CNN's Christine Amanpour
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by BLOTRS: 4:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
BLOTRS:
@Omenka, please answer this question sincerely and maturely. if either your brother, sister, mother or father dies as a result of bokoharam, or you loose your two legs to their bombs right now, would you still support negotiation? please reply asap
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Ayietim(m): 4:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
Don't stand still, it's stagnation,
the only way forward is progression.
Don't stand still, your last business failed? Then begin another one, do that fast, do it now!
Don't stand still, do you need to go back to school? Then what are you waiting for? Get moving now!
Don't stand still, are you tired of your present job? Then get another one, this time a better one, start the search now!
Don't stand still, you need to own a home? Then start saving for it and start saving now!
Don't stand still, always keep moving,
keep searching, for happiness, when you get it, don't stop desiring,
for those things which would make your life fulfilling,
satisfying and worth living . /p5sIGP-hk

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by bigiyaro(m): 4:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
i really don't understand how some people tink, wen a full grown man belives in his heart, body n soul dat killin u n ur likes is his religious duty n obligation, his express ticket to al'janna (heaven) to consumate his virgis n u r here tryin to negotiate wit such an a.s.s. r u a learner?

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by aryzgreat: 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
[s]
omenka:
Good morning.

This piece is meant for those of us who happen to be too naïve and ignorant to criticise the current government for saying they are "open to negotiations with Boko Haram".

I read on the thread concerning the subject matter the comments of some members in response HungerBad's comment especially that of Emeritus85 who stated "but Americans don't negotiate with terrorists". The only reason why people think American government doesn't negotiate with terrorists is because Hollywood made them believe they don't, whereas American government in reality might have engaged in negotiations and talks with terrorists, rebel groups and other non-state actors more than any other government on earth.

Just recently, a deal was reached between Washington and the Taliban for the release of a US soldier who's been held in captivity: This isn't Hollywood, this is reality!

Let us go a step further. A couple of years back, Israel, the closest US ally, (so close a US Congressman referred to her as "America's 51st state!"wink agreed to a prisoner swap with Hamas, a group labelled as terrorist group by both countries, that saw to the release of over 1000 Palestinians for 1 Israeli soldier, Gillard Shalit. Though Israel, we agree, is a sovereign state, anyone conversant with her relationship with the US would know the deal wouldn't have been made without some form of nod from Washington: www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2011/10/20111017221258366393.html

At the risk of making the post verbose, I'd like to refer you guys to this link which is a compendium of some of the deals that have been brokered between the US and some violent/terrorist groups : foreignpolicy.com/2014/06/03/the-u-s-does-negotiate-with-terrorists/

The US does negotiate with terrorists when it suits them to do so. The cost of an endless war is too much for a state to bear, hence they are constantly in search of ways to arrive at a peaceful resolution of such situations in the shortest time possible. It is the norm across the world. Nigeria isn't an exception.

In the past, Jonathan's administration had sought out ways of negotiating with Boko Haram, the only problem was that time and again, their negotiations fell through:

Who has forgotten the overtures made by Obasanjo, with approval from the government, at bringing the group to a round table?? These are but incidences that were public knowledge- what about all that happen behind the scenes?

It is only fair that we support this government in finding a lasting solution to this problem which seems to have defied a military approach for too long. We can sit behind out computers and criticise all we want but those who suffer a direct impact of the group's activities, including the families of our fallen heroes, understand the imperatives of solving the crises once and for all (I know some would call me a hypocrite, but I never criticised Jonathan's government's desire to negotiate). We can't shoot or bomb our way out of this situation- if talking can solve the problem, so be it.

Remember, the cost of peace is the price for a war not fought.

Cc: Lalasticlala.

[/s]

Hypocrites! Hypocrites!!!

The Same u that cursed and abused GEJ when He offered boko haram amnesty, calling him a weakling and suggesting USA never negotiated with terrorist.

U are a stup1d hypocrite

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by denedene(m): 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
all i want to see is boko being crushed. The NA has the capability to crush them so all the lives lost will be forgotten on the negotiations table? No way!!!
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by GOATandYAMtheory: 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

This was during his interview with CNN's Christine Amanpour
All of you are quoting me only to give me the same link. In your links, he said 2months and the guy I quoted stated a month. It makes no sense the way you guys are praying for Buhari's failure. It will affect us all
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by ndcide(m): 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2015
agarawu23:
can you please tell us how much gej administration spent to fight boko haram if you with be specific + the loan he took too. thanks smiley

relocating the military HQ to the troubled state isn't an effort ?

do you want the killings of innocent soul to continue? if you are among the ppl that lost their families and friends, will you say granting them amnesty or negotiating with em isn't a good move ?

you and your group claimed buhari was behind BH to make the govt hard for gej administration, is he also behind BH to make the govt hard for his administration too ?

will be Glad if you can answer me sir smiley

Mr. Buhari is probably looking for less dramatic way to end what he is directly or indirectly connected with.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by discusant: 4:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
Dear omenka - read your take once again: The US and Israel negotiated for prisoner swap - not over what terrorists were fighting for.

If for example, any responsible government negotiates with the Taliban to stop fighting, and possibly pay off Taliban leaders, before long, a new crop of religious extremists shall crop up wanting for negotiations and possible pay-offs.

A govt can negotiate with warriors fighting a political cause, but not with warriors fighting for a religious cause.

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by ShowYourCertificate: 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
All of you are quoting me only to give me the same link. In your links, he said 2months and the guy I quoted stated a month. It makes no sense the way you guys are praying for Buhari's failure. It will affect us all
Who said we are praying for his failure? We are only holding him accountable to his promise.

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by zeusdgrt(m): 4:26pm On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:

Great job, Omenka.
Two things are involved,is either you are foolish fool or a stupendous Agbaya!choose one cz even ur nick tells ur foolishness

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by 989900: 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2015
While I won't (with my limited intel) support negotiating with BH/ISWAP for what they represent, OTOH, most comments on here about how xyz doesn't negotiate with terrorists is annoying -- fxck it, they do, yes, all the time; even arm them when convenient!

It's one thing to state your opinion as what it is: an 'opinion', but when you state your 'opinions' as fact/law, that is some whole 'nother level of st00pid.

I posted this article earlier https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2007-01-01/negotiating-terrorists but the problem with this generation is, everyone just wants to say something regardless if it's true, false, wise, or f00lish.

The argument against negotiating with terrorists is simple: Democracies must never give in to violence, and terrorists must never be rewarded for using it. Negotiations give legitimacy to terrorists and their methods and undermine actors who have pursued political change through peaceful means. Talks can destabilize the negotiating governments' political systems, undercut international efforts to outlaw terrorism, and set a dangerous precedent.

Yet in practice, democratic governments often negotiate with terrorists. The British government maintained a secret back channel to the Irish Republican Army even after the IRA had launched a mortar attack on 10 Downing Street that nearly eliminated the entire British cabinet in 1991. In 1988, the Spanish government sat down with the separatist group Basque Homeland and Freedom (known by its Basque acronym ETA) only six months after the group had killed 21 shoppers in a supermarket bombing. Even the government of Israel -- which is not known to be soft on terrorism -- has strayed from the supposed ban: in 1993, it secretly negotiated the Oslo accords even though the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) continued its terrorist campaign and refused to recognize Israel's right to exist.

When it comes to negotiating with terrorists, there is a clear disconnect between what governments profess and what they actually do

Negotiations can sometimes be an exit strategy for terrorists who have second thoughts about their campaigns. But governments must always be clear that a full commitment to democratic principles is the price terrorists will have to pay.

BH or ISWAP, CANNOT commit to democratic principles. #myopinion
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by InvertedHammer: 4:28pm On Jul 04, 2015
/
I said it before the election. And I will say it again...

BUHARI without IDIAGBON is nothing.

The only name that shook Nigerians was Idiagbon.

Buhari was a ceremonial head to protect the political interests of the North.

/

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by atlwireles: 4:28pm On Jul 04, 2015
Wildrage:
Only fools would be swayed by the hypocritical rationalization of the OP's fluid , unprincipled partisan logic carefully disguised as objectivity. Most of the decisions they ridiculed GEJ for are now considered as imperatives in the fight against the terrorist, yet they won't have the decency to first apologize for their earlier myopic and mischievous standpoint.
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by BLOTRS: 4:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
BLOTRS:
@Omenka, please answer this question sincerely and maturely. if either your brother, sister, mother or father dies as a result of bokoharam, or you loose your two legs to their bombs right now, would you still support negotiation? please reply asap
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by shenisaac(m): 4:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
Hmmm...
First off...Buhari said he ll deal with BH over TWO MONTHS, not ONE LIKE MANY OF YOU QUOTE. It's only been a month, be patient

Second, he promised that security ll be his biggest priority. If negotiating will solve it, why not?

Third, every Administration has had to deal with militants and extremists and negotiating had always been an option.

Fourth, considering the extent of degradation that this terror had brought upon us, why can negotiations be on the table?

Five, USA, Israel negotiated for their citizens, let's remember that these fighters are largely Nigerians howbeit agreived.

Six, if you have ever been directly affected, stayed in the fear for so long, walked the line of terrorist attacks, had a first encounter with blasts, guns and blood, am sure you would gladly embrace ANY option on the table that could make it all stop.

Seven, yes other groups may arise and take advantage so as to gain free money deals, but let's know that no competent govt would let such situations as terror take firm root in its society before taking drastic actions. Now this is where I draw a line of 'questionable competence' between GEJ and PMB. I feel the later ll not let things go that bad before he acts
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by fejikudz(m): 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2015
dulIardinho Op

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by darepoju(m): 4:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
omenka:
Good morning.

This piece is meant for those of us who happen to be too naïve and ignorant to criticise the current government for saying they are "open to negotiations with Boko Haram".

I read on the thread concerning the subject matter the comments of some members in response HungerBad's comment especially that of Emeritus85 who stated "but Americans don't negotiate with terrorists". The only reason why people think American government doesn't negotiate with terrorists is because Hollywood made them believe they don't, whereas American government in reality might have engaged in negotiations and talks with terrorists, rebel groups and other non-state actors more than any other government on earth.

Just recently, a deal was reached between Washington and the Taliban for the release of a US soldier who's been held in captivity: This isn't Hollywood, this is reality!

Let us go a step further. A couple of years back, Israel, the closest US ally, (so close a US Congressman referred to her as "America's 51st state!"wink agreed to a prisoner swap with Hamas, a group labelled as terrorist group by both countries, that saw to the release of over 1000 Palestinians for 1 Israeli soldier, Gillard Shalit. Though Israel, we agree, is a sovereign state, anyone conversant with her relationship with the US would know the deal wouldn't have been made without some form of nod from Washington: www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2011/10/20111017221258366393.html

At the risk of making the post verbose, I'd like to refer you guys to this link which is a compendium of some of the deals that have been brokered between the US and some violent/terrorist groups : foreignpolicy.com/2014/06/03/the-u-s-does-negotiate-with-terrorists/

The US does negotiate with terrorists when it suits them to do so. The cost of an endless war is too much for a state to bear, hence they are constantly in search of ways to arrive at a peaceful resolution of such situations in the shortest time possible. It is the norm across the world. Nigeria isn't an exception.

In the past, Jonathan's administration had sought out ways of negotiating with Boko Haram, the only problem was that time and again, their negotiations fell through:

Who has forgotten the overtures made by Obasanjo, with approval from the government, at bringing the group to a round table?? These are but incidences that were public knowledge- what about all that happen behind the scenes?

It is only fair that we support this government in finding a lasting solution to this problem which seems to have defied a military approach for too long. We can sit behind out computers and criticise all we want but those who suffer a direct impact of the group's activities, including the families of our fallen heroes, understand the imperatives of solving the crises once and for all (I know some would call me a hypocrite, but I never criticised Jonathan's government's desire to negotiate). We can't shoot or bomb our way out of this situation- if talking can solve the problem, so be it.

Remember, the cost of peace is the price for a war not fought.

Cc: Lalasticlala.

..nice piece..but sir..this is Nigeria and not America.. insurgency/insecurity is more of the reason why Nigerians tagged the former president incompetent.. Nigerians choose Buhari over him cos HE said he's capable to chase BH back to dia den ..GMB is a military man he knws wat to do...his dis wat he wanted to do?.. is dis all he had in mind to grant them amnesty?..
have u forgotten that He promised to deliver to chibok girls..?
in my opinion granting them amnesty is like paying them for kidnapping anfd killing...
I still don't knw why you call dis ignorance in the first place..

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by CSTR2: 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Greatfes17: 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
After several negotiation attempts by Jonathan government, he realized they are not ready for it. Then he fought them with the vein of a hungry Lion. Which was fruitful.

Buhari then promised to eliminate them in two weeks. Now why the U-turn.

Note: Niger Delta Militants were fighting for their right. What are this Boko Haram fighting for?

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Rexyl(m): 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
Negotiation with terrorists, maybe they will accept it this time since they rejected it when ex president Jonathan gave them the opportunity. Then they invited Gen Buhari as their chief negotiator but which he too declined. Now President Buhari will only create confusion in the country and he is likely to be implicated in the end.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by ICEMAN(m): 5:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
Bottom line. No Niger Delta money should be spent on or given to those worthless bastards.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fayose Suspends SSG, Modupe Alade, Orders HOS To Oversee Office / Date For Governorship, State Assembly Elections 2019, March 2 - INEC / BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.