Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. (18090 Views)

Jonathan: Obama Made It Clear He Wanted Change Of Govt In Nigeria / Buhari, AGF Meet Over Probe Of Govt Officials / 8-Year-Old Children Among Bauchi "Teachers" On Payroll Of Govt. - Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by omenka(m): 6:20am On Jul 04, 2015
Good morning.

This piece is meant for those of us who happen to be too naïve and ignorant to criticise the current government for saying they are "open to negotiations with Boko Haram".

I read on the thread concerning the subject matter the comments of some members in response HungerBad's comment especially that of Emeritus85 who stated "but Americans don't negotiate with terrorists". The only reason why people think American government doesn't negotiate with terrorists is because Hollywood made them believe they don't, whereas American government in reality might have engaged in negotiations and talks with terrorists, rebel groups and other non-state actors more than any other government on earth.

Just recently, a deal was reached between Washington and the Taliban for the release of a US soldier who's been held in captivity:
he nation's top military leaders offered their unanimous support for last month's return of Sgt. Bowe Bergdah from Taliban captivity in exchange for the release of five Taliban-affiliated detainees at Guantanamo Bay rebutting critics who said the swap wasn't worth it, or that it would set a dangerous precedent.

www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-joint-chiefs-unanimously-supported-bowe-bergdahl-prisoner-swap/
This isn't Hollywood, this is reality!

Let us go a step further. A couple of years back, Israel, the closest US ally, (so close a US Congressman referred to her as "America's 51st state!"wink agreed to a prisoner swap with Hamas, a group labelled as terrorist group by both countries, that saw to the release of over 1000 Palestinians for 1 Israeli soldier, Gillard Shalit. Though Israel, we agree, is a sovereign state, anyone conversant with her relationship with the US would know the deal wouldn't have been made without some form of nod from Washington: www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2011/10/20111017221258366393.html

At the risk of making the post verbose, I'd like to refer you guys to this link which is a compendium of some of the deals that have been brokered between the US and some violent/terrorist groups : foreignpolicy.com/2014/06/03/the-u-s-does-negotiate-with-terrorists/

The US does negotiate with terrorists when it suits them to do so. The cost of an endless war is too much for a state to bear, hence they are constantly in search of ways to arrive at a peaceful resolution of such situations in the shortest time possible. It is the norm across the world. Nigeria isn't an exception.

In the past, Jonathan's administration had sought out ways of negotiating with Boko Haram, the only problem was that time and again, their negotiations fell through:
Nigerians were ecstatic on October 17 when the federal government announced a ceasefire deal with Boko Haram. If it had been true, years of ruthless killing of several thousand citizens would have been halted - suddenly - and the over-200 Chibok girls kidnapped seven months ago would have been freed. www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/11/nigeria-fake-ceasefire-with-b-20141111103442243308.html. edition.cnn.com/2014/10/17/world/africa/nigeria-boko-haram-ceasefire/

Who has forgotten the overtures made by Obasanjo, with approval from the government, at bringing the group to a round table?? These are but incidences that were public knowledge- what about all that happen behind the scenes?

It is only fair that we support this government in finding a lasting solution to this problem which seems to have defied a military approach for too long. We can sit behind out computers and criticise all we want but those who suffer a direct impact of the group's activities, including the families of our fallen heroes, understand the imperatives of solving the crises once and for all (I know some would call me a hypocrite, but I never criticised Jonathan's government's desire to negotiate). We can't shoot or bomb our way out of this situation- if talking can solve the problem, so be it.

Remember, the cost of peace is the price for a war not fought.

Cc: Lalasticlala.

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Nobody: 6:20am On Jul 04, 2015
wink
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Allem(m): 6:20am On Jul 04, 2015
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by vizboy(m): 6:20am On Jul 04, 2015

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by vizboy(m): 6:21am On Jul 04, 2015
Allem:

Space Bookers

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by kenny091(m): 6:25am On Jul 04, 2015
We do not negotiate with terrorists.

63 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by HungerBAD: 6:25am On Jul 04, 2015
Omenka thank you very much.

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by donholy28(m): 6:26am On Jul 04, 2015
I thought d olodo said he will crush them in one month...and later again he said d same thing....is negotiation now part of crushing?

122 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Cutehector(m): 6:26am On Jul 04, 2015
No comment....
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by shakazuldadon: 6:26am On Jul 04, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by omenka(m): 6:27am On Jul 04, 2015
HungerBAD:
Omenka thank you very much.
Just thought to feed the house with some edible facts this morning. wink

Cc: PassingShot, Illugunboy, Beremx, Demdem, Caseless, Clerverly, Obiagelli, Midolian, NgeneUkwenu, Egift, Modath, Aresa, Jarlons, Agarawu23, Soe et al.

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by talktimi(m): 6:29am On Jul 04, 2015
Work for your money op, I would have been surprised if you actually had a contrary view to the actions and decisions being taken by your paymasters.

Ps: It's a done deal, boko haram are going to be integrated into the amnesty program by this administration

77 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by omenka(m): 6:29am On Jul 04, 2015
kenny091:
We do not negotiate with terrorists.
That is what they say in the movies. Reality is a world different bro.
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by omenka(m): 6:30am On Jul 04, 2015
talktimi:
Work for your money op, I would have been surprised if you actually had a contrary view to the actions and decisions being taken by your paymasters.

Ps: It's a done deal, boko haram are going to be integrated into the amnesty program by this administration
Seen.
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by GOATandYAMtheory: 6:51am On Jul 04, 2015
donholy28:
I thought d olodo said he will crush them in one month...and later again he said d same thing....is negotiation now part of crushing?
are u not the Olodo here? Give us a link to where Buhari said he ld crush Boko haram within a month.

This nairaland is becoming tiring because of dick caps like you

Great job, Omenka.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by stuff46(m): 6:52am On Jul 04, 2015
Everything about Apc is just excuses.

23 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by AnyibestDede(m): 6:57am On Jul 04, 2015
He should hv told Nigerians during his campaign that he was going to negotiate with boko boys not now. It's a pity there is no Tunde Idiagbon to help him this time

35 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by sunnyb0b0(m): 7:04am On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
are u not the Olodo here? Give us a link to where Buhari said he ld crush Boko haram within a month.

This nairaland is becoming tiring becausre of dick caps like you

Great job, Omenka.

Here you go;

“we know how they started and where they are now and we will rapidly give attention to security in the country. And I believe we will ef­fectively deal with them in two months when we get into office.” - Buhari

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/we-ll-crush-boko-haram-within-two-months-buhari/

83 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 04, 2015
Ok
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 04, 2015
Is Buhari dat daft? Sassybae, I wanna say good morning, and let u know how pretty "thou art". Pls don't mention back, if u do I may leave politics section for 2 weeks.

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:10am On Jul 04, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Here you go;

“we know how they started and where they are now and we will rapidly give attention to security in the country. And I believe we will ef­fectively deal with them in two months when we get into office.” - Buhari

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/we-ll-crush-boko-haram-within-two-months-buhari/
But he said 1month. undecided undecided And in the link you provided, I can only see two months. Is it that you bigots just can't wait to see Buhari fail? Why not pray he achieves his aim.

9 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by kromoto: 7:12am On Jul 04, 2015
Why pull GEJ down when he was making this effort in an even better way?

Buhari has lost it.

41 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by sunnyb0b0(m): 7:13am On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
But he said 1month. undecided undecided And in the link you provided, I can only see two months. Is it that you bigots just can't wait to see Buhari fail? Why not pray he achieves his aim.

If only you prayed for Jonathan to achieve his aim....

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:16am On Jul 04, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Is Buhari dat daft?
Sassybae, I wanna say good morning, and let u know how pretty "thou art".
Pls don't mention back, if u do I may leave politics section for 2 weeks.
this guy, u too like women. Any woman wey don get picture fr her profile na hin u dey like. Na recently ur dick begin dey function? undecided

Na so u go dey love raayah wey be man because hin put female picture for profile. Bleeping TANioD

7 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Firefire(m): 7:17am On Jul 04, 2015
Firefire:

You see, the recent increase in the wave of bombing is a clear evidence that Buhari will soon grant the terrorist, Amnesty.

Buhari stands is very clear in this from the beginning!

However, I hope my fellow Nigerians would be able to see the Fruad in Buhari past statements.

Interesting...

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/boko-haram-names-buhari-5-others-as-mediators/

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by ziccoit: 7:18am On Jul 04, 2015
Brb
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
this guy, u too like women. Any woman wey don get picture fr her profile na hin u dey like. Na recently ur dick begin dey function? undecided

Na so u go dey love raayah wey be man because hin put female picture for profile. Bleeping TANioD
Don't know u ve bin monitoring me
I get d blood of FFK
Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:19am On Jul 04, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

If only you prayed for Jonathan to achieve his aim....
everybody prayed for Jonathan to be successful but he himself wasn't ready to be. He was busy drinking and flexing in Aso Rock. Dancing and gallivanting after every bomb blast.

Man, you like it or not, Buhari won't be a failure like your paymaster.

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by funlord(m): 7:25am On Jul 04, 2015
grin
Amnesty my ass! They all deserve 2 die and then go and rot in hell! _fuck boko haram and anyone who desires 2 negotiate with dem! Who will negotiate with god 2 bring back the lives of the many families whose lives dey have taken or destroyed? Govt?

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Maxymilliano(m): 7:27am On Jul 04, 2015
Buhari is not a superhuman afterall ... We were expecting the maitasine treatment to be visited on boko haram as promised and got it completely eradicated but alas, he had to make do with the devil's alternative; Negotiation .

Dr. Stephen Davis, the Australian negotiator will be glad to show him the way.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by sunnyb0b0(m): 7:30am On Jul 04, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
everybody prayed for Jonathan to be successful but he himself wasn't ready to be. He was busy drinking and flexing in Aso Rock. Dancing and gallivanting after every bomb blast.

Man, you like it or not, Buhari won't be a failure like your paymaster.

We pray he finds his bearing and doesn't fail but so far, he has failed.

23 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: In Defence Of Govt's Position To Negotiate. by Firefire(m): 7:33am On Jul 04, 2015
'What is Boko Haram?' Buhari watch from 1:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5KqE0Qg8js

Nigeria's Buhari vows to target Boko Haram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnNf6GDNptw

CHANGE is here undecided

38 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekiti Labour Leaders Flog Workers For Not Observing Strike / NNPC Reports Monthly Profit Of N274m For The First Time In 15 Years - ThisDay / Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.