Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. (9178 Views)

Okorocha’s Free education: The Fraud and Academic Crisis / 2015: Buhari Fails To Submit Academic Qualifications To INEC / Trends Of Epistemic Oppression And Academic Dependency In Africa’s Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by eldee(m): 2:00pm On Mar 06, 2009
fegflu:

Eldee,
Wat can of job are u doin in london?
is it related 2 ur paper qualification?

lets start from there first.

Hehehe . . . Going personal?? I saw that coming cheesy cheesy

Anyways, I'm a student . . . the reason why I swapped after two years in one of Nigeria's best unis is so that I can get a degree that won't be totally overshadowed by that of an Oxford Graduate.

The reason why I know I've got almost half a decade of education to pursue is so that the Education/Qualifications section of my CV will scream loudly before I send it in.
Anyone can write 'I am a purposeful, charismatic goal-getter' on his CV
But any stupid CEO knows that anyone with a Masters' degree from Durham has proven that he has at least tried to achieve a real goal.

What? You think you'll beat a Harvard Business graduate to any position if you don't have a good degree??
Are you just being funny or what?? This is what happens then y'all go screaming 'racism'.

Anyways . . . As I was saying, you can say education is not useful in Nigeria, it's your choice . . . but don't spew fuckery bout the UK
C'mon Boris Johnson: Oxford (Proven) . . . Bola Tinubu: 'Toronto' (Hmmmn)
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Fhemmmy: 2:01pm On Mar 06, 2009
fegflu:

Eldee- has still not answer my question.

I SAID:
Wat can of job are u doin in london?
is it related 2 ur paper qualification?

lets start from there first

u kidding me? so because the dude aint working in his field of study means, education is over-rated? I cant blv this, education is a gift that no one can take from you, education teaches you how to learn what life has got to teach you, and education doesn't end at the walls of the classrooms.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by fegflu: 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2009
I can guarantee u-Wat ever sch u r at d moment. Immediately u finish.if u dont hav experience in anyfield- u cannever get a job any where in dat london with dat qualification.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Fhemmmy: 2:11pm On Mar 06, 2009
fegflu:

I can guarantee u-Wat ever sch u r at d moment. Immediately u finish.if u dont hav experience in anyfield- u cannever get a job any where in dat london with dat qualification.

Na wa for this guy oh, that is why some position are called entry level, so dont start shooting yourself in the foot like bunny
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by eldee(m): 2:13pm On Mar 06, 2009
Fhemmmy:

u kidding me? so because the dude aint working in his field of study means, education is over-rated? I cant blv this, education is a gift that no one can take from you, education teaches you how to learn what life has got to teach you, and education doesn't end at the walls of the classrooms.

For goodness sake, please explain interships and work experience to your friend
Education in the UK is only 50% in the classroom, bout 30% internship and the rest extra-curricular

Almost every UK politician has one time or the other headed a club or social group in university
That's part of education too . . .
My Lawd!!! could you please help me explain that to fegflu??

Besides, why will they accept them when they go or customer-facing roles with half-baked anglais and exposed timidity??

fegflu:

Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!! You're funny!!!
Have you heard of the word 'intern'
Google 'Entry Level' and see what pops out
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by fegflu: 2:15pm On Mar 06, 2009
Eldee knows wat am talkin about. Cus he is in london.

So its not about entry level Fhemmmmy
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Fhemmmy: 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
eldee:

Education in the UK is only 50% in the classroom, bout 30% internship and the rest extra-curricular

Almost every UK politician has one time or the other headed a club or social group in university
My Lawd!!! could you please help me explain that to fegflu??

Besides, why will they accept them when they go or customer-facing roles with half-baked anglais and exposed timidity??
Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!! You're funny!!!
Have you heard of the word 'intern'
Google 'Entry Level' and see what pops out

Seems like the guy's mind is made up on why someone shd not go to school and just search for experience on the street, so let him/her be.
However, please, dont let anyone discourage you fron your dream, you are on the right path, and good luck
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by fegflu: 2:22pm On Mar 06, 2009
AHHH.  Entry level.

is that wat u think.

finish d sch first, and start findin d entry level .

it is a different ball game entirly wen u get to d outside.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by fegflu: 2:29pm On Mar 06, 2009
Eldee,
I dont need to study google for the word internship. it is u who need to study the UK job mkt u will find ur self after u finish that course of yours, and plann accordingly how u can position urself properly in it.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by eldee(m): 2:30pm On Mar 06, 2009
Anyways . . . It's still funny how majority of people in the Lower House are illiterate
How then will they help to save the system especially the Universities??

fegflu:

Eldee knows wat am talkin about. Cus he is in london.

So its not about entry level Fhemmmmy
I live in the UK and I'm 100% sure that anyone that has a degree from a Top 15 university (not London Southbank and them ones) will get top-class work experience that will give him a choice of whether to stay in the field or move out.

If you blame it on the Recession, I can accept that, but experience . . . Hell to the bleeping NO!!!
Come on, the first experience of the workplace you get is in the university . . .

Fhemmmy:

Seems like the guy's mind is made up on why someone shd not go to school and just search for experience on the street, so let him/her be.
However, please, dont let anyone discourage you fron your dream, you are on the right path, and good luck
I'm in a professional field, it's impossible for me to change my mind
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Fhemmmy: 2:33pm On Mar 06, 2009
eldee:

Anyways . . . It's still funny how majority of people in the Lower House are illiterate
How then will they help to save the system especially the Universities??
I live in the UK and I'm 100% sure that anyone that has a degree from a Top 15 university (not London Southbank and them ones) will get top-class work experience that will give him a choice of whether to stay in the field or move out.

If you blame it on the Recession, I can accept that, but experience . . . Hell to the bleeping NO!!!
Come on, the first experience of the workplace you get is in the university . . .
I'm in a professional field, it's impossible for me to change my mind

Great
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by eldee(m): 2:33pm On Mar 06, 2009
fegflu:

Eldee,
I dont need to study google for the word internship. it is u who need to study the UK job mkt u will find ur self after u finish that course of yours, and plann accordingly how u can position urself properly in it.
I've got job offers that I can't take because they'll stop me from going further

How can you say experience comes before education??
Maybe I should just drop out ASAP so I can go on to become Bill Gates grin grin
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by JJYOU: 2:37pm On Mar 06, 2009
fegflu:

AHHH.  Entry level.

is that wat u think.

finish d sch first, and start findin d entry level .

it is a different ball game entirly wen u get to d outside.

o boy dont discourage people from educating themselves.  education is very good and important.

eldee:

sorry sir almost 50% of the mps in the house of commons never went to university. i read this in the guardian just last year.

in this day and age no one should argue against education because it gives you access to many doors.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On Mar 06, 2009
JJYOU:

o boy dont discourage people from educating themselves.  education is very good and important.
sorry sir almost 50% of the mps in the house of commons never went to university. i read this in the guardian just last year.

in this day and age no one should argue against education because it gives you access to many doors.

3 Gbosas for you
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by fegflu: 2:47pm On Mar 06, 2009
Eldee,
I am not sayin experience comes b4 education. But the society were u are at d moment is dynamic.Our Expectations while in sch sometimes blinds us away from wat is happening out there. Do ur homework and Study the market properly. You might be surprise wit ur findings.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Fhemmmy: 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2009
fegflu:

Eldee,
I am not sayin experience comes b4 education. But the society were u are at d moment is dynamic.Our Expectations while in sch sometimes blinds us away from wat is happening out there. Do ur homework and Study the market properly. You might be surprise wit ur findings.

Now you are talking.
Everyone knows that there is a big difference btw what you learn in class and the reality of the real world, however, your learning and education will help you even when the path is too narrow to be walked.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by eldee(m): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2009
@fegflu
Anyways I still need to get this original argument
These Lower house people don't need to go to school becase they've got experience??
What experience?? Being election thugs for Chief Obafemi Awolowo for 20 years??

JJYOU:

Even though I have this nagging feeling that you're talking bout the House of Lords (Where the Church of England is heavily represented, even in that case most Bishops have qualifications in Theology), I still challenge you to name top politicians in the major parties that are not learned.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Moves: 3:40pm On Mar 06, 2009
I think we are getting wires crossed here, Feglu is your argument that
A, University education is not something necessarily required especially in the nigerian context
B, or that too much emphasis is been placed upon the importance of university education in nigeria

If your answer is Yes to both question, well considering the uniqueness of the nigerian situation and the quality of university education presently available, then you have a case, but kindly refrain from proclaiming that the situation is the same elsewhere like the Uk or US, , Recession aside, that are numerous yearly graduate job fairs in the UK, where coys recruits for fresh graduates.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Pataki: 3:44pm On Mar 06, 2009
Education is not vital in the UK economy? shocked grin These NVQ thingy has eroded into the senses of some peeps. Most of the Representatives and what not in Nigeria, I do not see them beyond the NVQ status. No wonder they end-up sleeping while proceedings in the house are on-going. Lazy drones.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 06, 2009
JIYOU YOU ARE MIXING THINGS UP BADLY. The argument is not about the usefulness of education but that education goes beyond the mere acquisition of paper qualifications which is what goes on in Nigeria
Besides education is a lifelong process.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 06, 2009
@fegflu

there re job and there re career,there re big diff 4rm both.

pple work to live but some work to die.some job does'nt count grin grin grin

job =just over broke=kitchen potter,security,shop assistant,cleaning and many more.qualification no undecided cry lipsrsealed tongue angry

career=for life=accountant,lawyer,politician,ceo and many more=qualifications yes. cheesy cool wink smiley
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Theblessed(f): 1:02am On Mar 07, 2009
Quoting Fegflu

It is Only in Nigeria that u need qualification to do everything. the world has change far away from such ideas. Experience is wat matters now. Go out of the country and c if qaulification is an issue 2 get a job.

Please get a life - Fegflu!  I wonder where you got your information. 

Yes, you can get a job without education or qualification but its the bottom-of-the-pile kind of jobs you will get. Got it Do you know what I mean  Toilet cleaning, Farm work (vegetable and apple picking jobs - real  back breaking jobs ok!), Super market Till and shelves filling jobs (if you're lucky), So, go get that your President's job without education and qualification - in your dreams man, in your dreams!!!
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Africason(m): 1:53am On Mar 07, 2009
I will say go ask Richard Branson his qualifications. Of course education matters but hey, remember there's is an educated fool as well! wink
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by SEFAGO(m): 8:55am On Mar 07, 2009
as
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by yousouph(m): 9:41am On Mar 07, 2009
D koko of d story is dat education is important. Natural talents(2face & co) is different & moreover it takes GOD's blessings 2 be successful.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by dayokanu(m): 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2009
Education does not matter? Classic Bullcrap!!!

Obama-Harvard, George Bush- Harvard, Yale, Clinton- Yale, John Kerry- Harvard to mention a few.

Bill Gates? Do you know he was a Harvard student before he dropped out.

You also said majority of people in schoool are foreigners? Dont deceive yourself. Maybe for rundown schools.

Go to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Wharton, Stern, Columbia and co and see the number of Americans there.

No one graduates from this school without a job. Wall Street? Where did you think all those top execs school?

Education in Nigeria is rubbish to start with. The average High school grad in the US is far more intelligent than the average Graduate in Nigeria. The way they think and articulate their points are brilliant. I schooled in one of the best schools in Nigeria and I went for Youth service so I mingled with a lot of Nigerian graduate and I know what I am saying
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by CrudeOil2(m): 2:28pm On Mar 07, 2009
Very true post. Over Fifty percent of reps members (specifically the northern members) are academically unfit to be Reps.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by davidif: 3:15pm On Mar 07, 2009
well you should checks forbes richest americans, a large number of ivy leaguers, education does matter in the developed world. It doesnt in developing countries and thats why we are having this debate.

Gbam, ori e pe jo
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by saxbe(m): 12:12am On Mar 08, 2009
i believe that it is their level of academic qualification that have made them fiscally irresponsible,overtly vulnerable to pressure from the executive,greedy,lacking substance,cumbersome and undisciplined.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by fegflu: 1:47am On Mar 08, 2009
The blessed,

I already hav a life. Pls thanks for ur advice.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Phemzy(m): 12:04pm On Mar 09, 2009
Can't the Senators, Representative have a minimum qualification of LLB LAW.
Re: Senators, Representatives And Academic Qualifications. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2009
Fegflu,
What you are stating are your opinions not fact.
The facts are:
1. Education or paper qualification as you choose to call it is not a waste, on the contrary it is an asset and will always be.
2. The top schools in the UK are attended by the children of the upper and middle classes not folks from the 3rd world as you quote. ( I should know I attended 2 of them)
3. The only time you can say you don't need education to get ahead is if you plan on owning your own business
4. Literacy and education are two different things ( I think you are confusing the thw two)
5. Where did you get the idea that you can't get a job if you don't have any experience in the UK (that's grossly wrong)?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. / BREAKINGNEWS: Buhari On Sick Bed In LONDON / Prophecy About GMB Winning But Not Being Sworn In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.