Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands (60823 Views)

Angry Bus Drivers Block Benin-Lagos Road Over The Killing Of A Conductor (Pics) / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People / Emirates Explains Credit Card Policy Demands For Nigerians Travelling To Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 09, 2015
Sunofgod:

Yeah - only associate with rich people - poor people are trouble!
(Bros - Can you lend me like $2000 until payday? Abeg!)
You be real clown
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Lumpyy(f): 9:18am On Jul 09, 2015
Op please it may seem you dont know me,but its one day people get to know eachother,any help you can do for me sir?abeg abeg abeg! cheesy
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nicepoker(m): 9:21am On Jul 09, 2015
Op u are staying in ekiti state for sure.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by jasonodogwu: 9:31am On Jul 09, 2015
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by asha01: 9:33am On Jul 09, 2015
StOla:
Guy! Welcome to Nigeria.

I don't even reply most whatsapp and facebook chats any more. They now lay in wait for me to come online then they attack, knowing you must acknowledge their presence.

I can write an epistle on this topic.
I'm resident in Nigeria so this is even rampant with those with higher earning power within Nigeria. I get to travel a lot, but the internet banking facilities have ensured I keep making expenditures on behalf of other people.

I'm getting really frustrated with always having to promise a portion of my future salary to help a friend or the other. These locusts, coupled with my own economic pursuits, have ensured I barely have enough cash before the next pay check.

how is it compulsory for you to do all these?

The demands never stop. Ranging from the very important to mundane stuff like a jobless man planning a wedding with expenses that rival a society wedding.
So I begin to wonder if people can't just cut their coat according to their cloth.

I have contemplated a change of mobile line, but I'll be losing a lot of contacts who must reach me in the course of my job.

It's a rather sad situation, that requires both financial empowerment of the needy, and social orientation on being self reliant - a trait that is not very African/Nigerian.

I hope Dangote and Adenuga can continue from where I must be stopping. This matter pass my power. I am not Jesus Christ, I can't help everyone I would like too.

I have my own needs too, and dreams to pursue. I also suspect most of these beneficiaries of my magnanimity would not do the same if roles were reversed.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Illuminator9(m): 9:39am On Jul 09, 2015
Pls continue to help them in d litu way dat u can,
They may be nt be bale to pay yhu back Financially bt someday, in some other ways most of them will surprise yhu.
''What goes around''
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by fanex: 9:40am On Jul 09, 2015
keep sending the money. if you do not need it someone else does.

silly questions. why dont you include the government of Nigeria in your monthly charity...
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by hasmuz(m): 9:40am On Jul 09, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Carry cocaine to indonesia, if u want to end it once and for all.

My G....congratulations, you just got employed to be Special Adviser to Shekau grin grin grin
See advise undecided grin
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by bayulll01(m): 9:45am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

You mean I should send myself to my death (for that is the reward for drug trafficking in Indonesia) to avoid them?

I don't know why u decide to answer that morronn,these are my advice for you,don't I repeat don't harm yourselves all in the name you want to help some people,do what the lord has sent or put in your hearth to do,most nigerians are generally opportunistic and like taking advantage of someone,remember when you are down these same people will turn their head on u,then you will know that no one I repeat no one will help

Cheers
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ChynoBEATS: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Thanks

Guy must you give when you dont have enough ni

Whick kyn tin u dey do sef
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by OmoMorolake: 9:55am On Jul 09, 2015
Do your best and leave the rest. If your best ain't good enough for 'em, then they can take a hike, kiss ur ass or better still, ignore 'em.....end of discussion.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Daresh(f): 9:57am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks

If you dont have, tell them you dont have. How diffiicult is that. I have a friends whose husband gave and gave. Paid rent for some, paid school fees tire. He was so busy paying he didnt save for the rainy day. When that rainy day came (he was fired), lo and behold, everyone found new solutions to their problems. They flew away, dont ask how he's surviving. Including his parents and siblings.

Moral of the story? Always save for the rainy day. Those asking and asking don't really care about you if you don't have anything to give them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by adepiero: 10:00am On Jul 09, 2015
We Nigerians are leeches, some of us find it hard to help ourselves instead we look for a Messiah in form of a friend or relative that can solve all our problems especially FINANCIAL

Its even better for you that is living abroad but for those loving in Nigeria, it is hell reason being that you can decide to disconnect from them bit for those here, where you wan go wey them no go find you? And once you turn them down, you automatically become an enemy.

Bit the question I always ask myself is that why can't they be contented with whatever they have or strive to get more instead of begging!

Bro, you are not alone jare but you still have to give at some point so it counts as Charity undecided
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kittykat1(f): 10:06am On Jul 09, 2015
StOla:

The problem is posting their demands till the next month.

I have made expenses of over N500K to benefit others just this month because I got some allowances. For this reason I was unable to service a debt of N200K that I owe.

Thinking I was done with magnanimity for the month, another dude had to source me out from no where telling me all his life issues. Obviously I wasn't liquid enough, guess what? I had to promise a token from my next pay check I'm yet to earn.

When will my next pay check come with all the money belonging to me? A lot is already shared to the needy before you even earn it.
I just deprive myself of all the good stuff I should have, so as to care for others.

Sometimes I want to cry. It is really depressing at times.

I barely like comments or pictures on social media anymore. It only puts me back in the consciousness of those I would rather they forget about me.

I used to be like you u until I realized that those I help even have had more money or savings than me. Then I was using nokia torch and helping ppl pay schools fees and this ppl were using smart phones. I had no car and ppl wet get car will come to ask me for money. Mumu me was being touched by their stories. Sometimes some even get landed property. In fact there was an aunt ( widow) that had like 3 landed properties in lagos and was crying and begging me to borrow money on her behalf. She asked me to go to the bank and use my name to borrow six million to and give her to finish her house. So that she can stop paying rent. In return she will dash me one room in the duplex. She cries to me almost every two days. She also comes to beg me for school fees. Me I don't even have any landed property o.

Then, I had a period of financial crisis. Guess what everyone ran away. I went back to subzero. When I came back up, I had to borrow sense and start saving. Every month, I put 60% of my income in an investment account. Try standard chartered e-savers or high investment account, diamond bank also has a similar saving package. What I have left to pay my bills and survive is 40%. If change remain from that I help. If it doesn't remain, I tell them I don't have.

5 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 10:07am On Jul 09, 2015
BabyDaddy20:

$15 * 15 hour per day is how much ??
Multiply it by 5 days a week
What's your answer ??
Then multiply your answer by 4 weeks a month.
Do you know if i do other jobs ??

Do you also know the nature of the jobs i do ??
15 hours in a day cheesy you are really hardworking. Even with that you ain't gonna get 6k. You never said you had other jobs, you said you earn $15 and make 6k. Anyways thats your wahala. Enjoy your 6k
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Kazrem(m): 10:11am On Jul 09, 2015
Jarus:

Lol @ this strategy.

Makes sense.

I'm not so good at saying NO too. What I do is ignore. I hardly pick calls, don't reply facebook PM etc.

As a young man that justed started working in Lagos years back, my father xmas disposition landed me in serious financial crisis.

Now, other than my parents, a couple of siblings,family members once in a while, I no dey share money anyhow again o

I don't even pick calls, as I know 90% of calls from certain people are to ask for money which I find difficult to turn down.

This doesn't however mean I don't give. I actually do, probably more than an average person, but I've become very selective.

I strongly believe "it took a whole village to raise a child" so that child must give back to the "village" (I.e family). As a student in school, I know how I also taxed my brothers and uncles.
You have done that "I hardly pick calls, don't reply facebook PM" to me even though what I asked wasn't finance but I understand.
BTW
As you said earlier the major cause is actually the person probably he/she has been flaunting his "wealth".
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Kizyte(m): 10:11am On Jul 09, 2015
bebe2:

family of four,

that means 2kids.
My bad! Maybe I got no time to understand well cool
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by holysina(m): 10:16am On Jul 09, 2015
I thoutght its only me oooo. the mstter serious. I have changed my line like 8 times and most times i put it on voice mail. i wander how they always get the new number. the moment you get to namdi azikiwe airport or murutala mohamed airport with ur bag and board a plain, form that moment expenses dom start be that, even if u are sleeping on the street. well we are the cux with the type of impression we creat during christmas periods
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:22am On Jul 09, 2015
ayusco85:

you are just so daft and u have an empty skull.
clap for thy self grey mattered lad
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kay29000(m): 10:31am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry

Chaii!!! With the situation I am in right now, I for like be your cousin o!
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by histemple: 10:34am On Jul 09, 2015
adepiero:
We Nigerians are leeches, some of us find it hard to help ourselves instead we look for a Messiah in form of a friend or relative that can solve all our problems especially FINANCIAL

Its even better for you that is living abroad but for those loving in Nigeria, it is hell reason being that you can decide to disconnect from them bit for those here, where you wan go wey them no go find you? And once you turn them down, you automatically become an enemy.
[color=#006600][/color]

This false and hasty generalisation (We Nigerians are leeches) is a very serious offence and an insult to all Nigerians because I don't believe ALL Nigerians are beggers neither do I believe that this trait is not universal. Please be objectively constructive in whatever you say because you might indirectly and inadvertently offend others

Bit the question I always ask myself is that why can't they be contented with whatever they have or strive to get more instead of begging!

Bro, you are not alone jare but you still have to give at some point so it counts as Charity undecided
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Emexicoman(m): 10:34am On Jul 09, 2015
THAT U LIVE IN THE STATES DOES NOT MAKE U A DIAMOND BANK FOR SOMEONE, UR FAMILY DESERVE SOMETHING FROM U. BUT IF U LET THAT CONTINUE IT MIGHT ALSO BE ABUSED, SO I WHAT I SUGGEST U DO IS TO START UP A BUSINESS FOR THEM DOWÑ HERE AND BONE THEM FOR A WHILE. U R JUST giving THEM FISH RATYHER THAN TAKING THEM TO THE STREAM. AND ABNIUT FRIENDS BEGGING U MONEY THAT ONE DEY BUT I DONT EXPECT U TO GIVE A HEALTHY GUY MONEY TWICE IN A YEAR... USE UR HEAD .!
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by histemple: 10:40am On Jul 09, 2015
[quote author=adepiero post=35657912][font=serif]We Nigerians are leeches, some of us find it hard to help ourselves instead we look for a Messiah in form of a friend or relative that can solve all our problems especially FINANCIAL

Its even better for you that is living abroad but for those loving in Nigeria, it is hell reason being that you can decide to disconnect from them bit for those here, where you wan go wey them no go find you? And once you turn them down, you automatically become an enemy.[color=#006600][/color]

This false and hasty generalisation (We Nigerians are leeches) is a very serious offence and an insult to all Nigerians because I don't believe ALL Nigerians are beggers neither do I believe that this trait is not universal. Please be objectively constructive in whatever you say because you might indirectly and inadvertently offend others

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Edusouls(m): 10:44am On Jul 09, 2015
ice25:
LEARN TO SAY NO..IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE.....
wicked girl,and when you beg for own help may they say no to you,just as you advice someone to say no to people that needs his help,greedy bitch, sorry for ur husband cos im brothers and relatives go suffer if im marry a stingy and greedy woman like u.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 09, 2015
drnoel:

We all have the same problem. U are not the only NLer that earns 6 figures. U don't see us crying openy. Take it like a man and stop ur fake tears. One thing I tell friends that have similar complaint is this. In ur bead to please everyone, u displease urself. I mean u know where it pinches u and sending money to people in Nigeria is not one of them.
What's bead, Dr?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by AOZealous: 10:45am On Jul 09, 2015
Ur post shows U already gat ur solution
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ezebinaugwu(m): 10:46am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry

Bro I leave in Adamawa too, yes book haram has been a problem in the north but that shouldn't be the reason he will use in disturbing you. We wey day here never die finish and we are doing great. Abeg give me his name and number make I help you warn am, he must be an Igbo guy I know
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by FOREXMARTS: 10:47am On Jul 09, 2015
The solution is simple, jump from the empire state building.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ayusco85(m): 10:48am On Jul 09, 2015
Lacomus:
clap for thy self grey mattered lad

What's ur own? undecided
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 09, 2015
Kizyte:

My bad! Maybe I got no time to understand well cool
Nope...u did what we do here. Counting only d kids! Even some pple count twins as one because they conceived them once. Not good on ur economy...and sense of proportion.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Acme77: 10:49am On Jul 09, 2015
Those asking and asking don't really care about you if you don't have anything to give them.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by StOla: 10:56am On Jul 09, 2015
kittykat1:

I used to be like you u until I realized that those I have had more money than me. Also I had a period of financial crisis. Guess what everyone ran away. I went back to subzero. When I came back up, I had to borrow sense and start saving. Every month, I put 60% of my income in an investment account. Try standard e-savers or high investment account, diamond back also has a similar saving package. What I have left to pay my bills and survive is 40%. If change remain from that I help. If it doesn't remain, I tell them I don't have.

Good advice. I've also planned towing this line in the coming months.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Inside The Kaduna-abuja Train Shared By A Twitter User (photos) / Is Asokoro, Abuja The Best Precinct In West Africa? (Pictures) / A Tour In The New Lagos To Ibadan Train, So Beautiful

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.