Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,833 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (28481 Views)

Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School / Nigerian Graduates With First-Class From Canada University / 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Youths Do Not Go To Church - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by histemple: 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
dancok:
babe let me marry u and I will set up a business for u, u don't need a job.

Thanks for your interest and pledge. Both are highly appreciated and you may hear from me if or when needed.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by mikkypel(m): 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
I think the topic should be why some Nigerian graduates are unemployable
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by DrSage(m): 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:
Lol...I dey o...How u take sabi say na me?
y I no go sabi? grin
hw va ARO,SURE BOY & others
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
DrSage:
y I no go sabi? grin
hw va ARO,SURE BOY & others
evrybody dey na...u no dey skul?
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by InvertedHammer: 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2015

They Most Are Educated Illiterates
: According to a Nigerian minister who once announced that Nigerian youths are unemployable in defense of a question posed against the then President about his negligence in terms of job provision. He said “Just going to school and getting a certificate is not a guarantee of getting a job. Every employer wants beyond just a certificate. Every employer is out to employ someone with reasoning and intellectual might, not someone who cannot play with a full deck. Someone who knows how to and wants to learn more than what they studied in school and on the job. Someone who can readily bring ideas to the table on how the company can forge forward. Not someone with low reasoning capability who won't even be able to answer extremely trivial questions.“. A graduate is expected to develop him or herself so one can refer to such person as a worthy and employable graduate.

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by stchinedu: 3:38pm On Jul 10, 2015
Aspireahead:

i am quoting you because i am an undergraduate who will soon be thrown into the labor market and be termed `unemployable' after 4/5 years in school. I still believe that problem lies with our educational system ,nay our schools in that there is no focus on practicals nor reward for excellence.
my department for one does not encourage any outside academics be it social or political. it will surely tell on your result if you go against them. there is no guarantee if you heed their prayers though. what am saying in essence is that the university tries to kill any attemp at getting any on the job experience you try to get. it seems they are always asking you to chose between your dreams and your academics.

I understand your plight. It's really unfortunate that majority of the rot in the education system is caused and 'allowed' by those that have been saddled with the responsibility of taking it to good standard. So pathetic!

However, not all universities are like that, some really encourage it (only for studens with academic excellence). In the case of the graduate I made reference to, he was one of the best in his department. He was not the only student that was picked, others were picked from other departments...those with academic excellence.
They were 250 people that they picked from different universities for IT. After the interview, seven were retained for the IT. The seven of them did their IT successfully but only three were called back and offered job. Just like I mentioned in my earlier post, he succeeded because of his acquired skill.

The best thing to do is to keep your dream and don't let it die. No knowledge his a waste!
If your school does not encourage it, keep improving on on whatever you have been able toacquire on your own. With time, the spotlight will shine on you. The guy I spoke about read chemical engineering in school but it was his architectural skill that got him a job. The fact that he could do something outside his line of study thrilled them. You too can do that...Just keep your eyes on the goal!
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Fellonigerians: 3:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:

SOURCE

One of the major problem is that majority of our graduates dont work until the finish University... In other countries where opportunities exist, from 18yrs you can start having summer jobs... When you now graduate, and apply for a job, you can also be assessed based on your work experience...

People are forced to stay under the control of their parents until they finish school, maybe at 40yrs... Not allowed to be on their own
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Prosperity44(m): 4:03pm On Jul 10, 2015
The fact is going to sch is a necessity to become who we desire to be. but the truth is that going to sch will not make u a successful one. What will make u a successful is your skill. The morE skill u develop the more successful u become. So let's go beyond our certificate. And start to learn a skill that will set us in a part of greatness. Thanks.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Kingspin(m): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
Op, i like ur observation. But the truth about unemployment in Nigeria is as a result of system collapse. The same problem facing young graduates today can also be found in our economic sector, agriculture, our oil sector etc. So it the reflection of the society we live. The citizens do every thing for himself. The situation affects every sector/section of our country even in the National assemble and Aso Rock. It just BADgovernance at it peak in Nigeria. But i will survive.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nigeriatraining: 5:38pm On Jul 10, 2015
Do you know you can be your own Boss with these simple knowledge of CorelDRAW and Photoshop skills? With these set of skills you could be;
- Self employed
- Creating web-banners for sale online
- website interface design
- Consultant to corporate firms and individuals for print and digital publishing

FOR WHOM?
- Business Development officers
- Online Internet Marketers
- Bloggers
- Reporters/journalist
- Fresh Graduates and
- all that have flare for designs

SCHEDULE and DURATION
- 2 Weekends, Saturdays and Sundays Only

FEE and DURATION: N15,000 2Weekends 4Days, 10AM - 3PM daily.

TRAINING MATERIALS
Soft and hard copies will be provided

THE INSTRUCTOR
The instructor has over 6years hands on graphic designs experience that span across publishing firm, TV content production firm, Brand Management firm and currently with a consulting firm.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nigeriatraining: 5:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
Do you know you can be your own Boss with these simple knowledge of CorelDRAW and Photoshop skills? With these set of skills you could be;
- Self employed
- Creating web-banners for sale online
- website interface design
- Consultant to corporate firms and individuals for print and digital publishing

FOR WHOM?
- Business Development officers
- Online Internet Marketers
- Bloggers
- Reporters/journalist
- Fresh Graduates and
- all that have flare for designs

SCHEDULE and DURATION
- 2 Weekends, Saturdays and Sundays Only

FEE and DURATION: N15,000 2Weekends 4Days, 10AM - 3PM daily.

TRAINING MATERIALS
Soft and hard copies will be provided

THE INSTRUCTOR
The instructor has over 6years hands on graphic designs experience that span across publishing firm, TV content production firm, Brand Management firm and currently with a consulting firm.

CONTACT
Whatsapp or Call (+234)7012714330 for more information and detailed course content.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by DrSage(m): 5:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:
evrybody dey na...u no dey skul?
I dey naw,,,only be sey e don tey wey ah see una
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by haul: 6:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
Justjyde:
Start at Primary1-6: Teach dignity of labour.
At JSS1-3: Teach basic hand-work and business skills.
At SSS1-3: Each student must have a trade along with formal education

At SSS3 graduation: Student can decide to pursue his/her trade or take further apprenticeship in same or another trade

At University: Flexible opportunity to practice trade (with compensation commensurate to productivity) can be in form of a trade center that produces real products for National/International consumption

At Graduation: Graduate already has 4-7 years experience (depending on course of study), some cash (where possible) and dignity!!

See, problem fixed!

Making a research, so I'm compiling some paradigm shift towards somethings which you highlighted.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Immarocks(f): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
true.....Mr op.....I always say that the problem is not lack of employment but unemployability...
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by slimes(m): 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
histemple:
This points are absolutely true. No doubt. But while we ascribe the avoidable but pitiable unemployment rate in our nation to these excuses, It is my informed submission that all graduates are employable but the conundrum is identifying where such graduates are needed to fully maximize their latent potential. And based on this premise, it is a problem of lack of sufficient employment opportunities. Even in the best universities in the world, we still have dunce there and some of their graduates are also incompetent but that is not to totally exonerate some of our schools from the blame. Our curriculum needs to be reviewed because sometimes they load our brains with courses that are not related or useful to our course of study.
The university/college only guides an individual to achieve a well defined controlled behaviour called discipline but how far you develop yourself is entirely your own volition depending on how voracious you are for more information and knowledge. Thanks to the Internet.
Our government should create jobs for everyone because I insist that all graduates are employable in some areas across all the sectors of the economy including agriculture. Government should stop hiding under the cloak of unemployability to justify the lack of job creation.
Most importantly, while everyone can't be entrepreneurs, our graduates should consider self employment. Have you ever wondered why there is no employee in the list of the world's richest persons?

Good comment smiley cool
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by calcal: 8:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
Justjyde:
Start at Primary1-6: Teach dignity of labour.
At JSS1-3: Teach basic hand-work and business skills.
At SSS1-3: Each student must have a trade along with formal education

At SSS3 graduation: Student can decide to pursue his/her trade or take further apprenticeship in same or another trade

At University: Flexible opportunity to practice trade (with compensation commensurate to productivity) can be in form of a trade center that produces real products for National/International consumption

At Graduation: Graduate already has 4-7 years experience (depending on course of study), some cash (where possible) and dignity!!

See, problem fixed!

That is what we don't have!
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by tallfish145(m): 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
Cerificates or grades does not define how well can fair well when employed but how sharp one can adapt to the job. Can't imagine a graduate with 2.1 or Distinction yet acting too dull.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Adortem: 9:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
tuoyoojo:
ok

we were made to believe that once u get good grades in school that a job would be waiting for u....in so doing the innate entrepreneurial traits is then allowed to die.
this i believe is the reason for the quagmire we are in now

..so hence this over dependence on jobs...

i believe there should be change in school curriculum to include business management which should be to incorporated as part of the courses which is mandatory no matter what course one is reading in school

so that when students graduate, they could stand on their own
I agree with you, there is a great disparity between gown and town. There should be a balance between the two.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Princephelar(m): 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
Anytym I see jobless mata, one tin I will always say is "one day dey will start begging people with jobs especially in d gov. sector"

In other news,
Pls My peeps anticipate "THE INTERVIEW" my audio comic skit dropping soonest... 90% loading
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
hmmmmm...... still an aspirant
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by flames007(m): 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2015
INTROVERT:
How about

When you don't have a godfather.
Seems u'r on FTC mode today grin
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by NobleG1(m): 6:59am On Jul 11, 2015
Because most of them are illiterate graduates!
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Raalsalghul: 7:56am On Jul 11, 2015
[quote author=XuteSleeks post=35701167][/quote] The perfect reply.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by callonme(m): 8:35am On Jul 11, 2015
I always love seeing posts like this.....

They make me work harder.....

I mean work harder on my award-winning blog.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by simdam500(m): 6:29pm On Jul 11, 2015
Great point, both employees and the employer was treated fairly...

Good
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
lordtech:
Ok

shocked shocked Lol. Anyway I guess you're not far from the truth. I'm actually not looking for employment but looking for who to employ instead. You never can tell, you might be my next employee wink cool
What do you do for a living? Selling MB?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hurricane Maria In Dominican: Buhari Orders Evacuation Of Nigerian Students / Adey Orla Bags PhD In Biomedical Engineering From University Of Saskatchewan / NASU Will Join ASUU Strike Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.