Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion (2314 Views)

A Nigerian In Germany Wanted To Renounce His Nigerian Citizenship & Got This / Omokri To Soyinka: Think Twice Before Tearing Your US Green Card / FG Appoints Pwc As Growth And Employment Project Administrator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by spectroscopic: 7:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
A Nigerian friend of mine has just found himself in a dilemma. He asked for my advise and because I do not have all the answers for him, I thought I might get ideas from Nigerians online. Could you advise what my friend can do to eat his cake and still have it?

Here are the scenarios:

1. He holds a US green card (GC)
2. He will be eligible to apply for citizenship next year (after 5 years of holding the GC)
3. He is working and earning $aaa per month in the US
4. He recently got an international job in Nigeria where he will earn $aaa+aaa (all paid in dollars)
5. He hopes to take the opportunity to invest in landed properties in Nigeria, something he has not been able to do from the US as of yet
6. However, moving to Nigeria has some implications for his pursuit of the US citizenship as you have to be resident in the US, and not be out of country for an ''extended'' period of time
7. It is unclear what ''extended'' means (six months, one year?)

Your suggestions are welcome
Please no cussing, envy, hating, etc. Thanks
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by petkoffDrake(m): 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
..he should 4get d land in this yeye country and claim citizenship in that Sodom/gomora country joor

1 Like

Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by thorpido(m): 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
It will depend on what his long term goals are.Does he want to settle in Nigeria in the future?He should take up the international job in Nigeria.If he is the type that doesn't care about having a future in Nigeria,then he can take the option of staying in the US.
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by spectroscopic: 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
thorpido:
It will depend on what his long term goals are.Does he want to settle in Nigeria in the future?He should take up the international job in Nigeria.If he is the type that doesn't care about having a future in Nigeria,then he can take the option of staying in the US.

Dude! This guy wants both: work in Nigeria and earn the good pay for immediate and short-term ''flenjoring'' as well as being able to be a US citizen for future purposes (you know na)
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by thorpido(m): 8:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
spectroscopic:

Dude! This guy wants both: work in Nigeria and earn the good pay for immediate and short-term ''flenjoring'' as well as being able to be a US citizen for future purposes (you know na)
How can he have both?Can a man be in heaven and be on earth at the same time?
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by spectroscopic: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
thorpido:
How can he have both?Can a man be in heaven and be on earth at the same time?

I guess you could. Lol
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by tpiar: 9:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
is he planning to get his citizenship before he leaves?
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by spectroscopic: 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
tpiar:
is he planning to get his citizenship before he leaves?

No. The citizenship is next year, the job is in a few months.
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by jjshanana: 10:19pm On Jul 10, 2015
Tell him to apply for a reentry permit. He can leave for an extended time (I think 2 years) without losing his green card. I don't know if that will affect his ability to apply for citizenship next year. A lawyer should be able to tell him that for free.

2 Likes

Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 10, 2015
jjshanana:
Tell him to apply for a reentry permit. He can leave for an extended time (I think 2 years) without losing his green card. I don't know if that will affect his ability to apply for citizenship next year. A lawyer should be able to tell him that for free.
Sure. And as either a Green card holder or US citizen, he would have to pay US federal taxes on every income he makes in Nigeria; provided that he earns over the equivalent of $400 in a year in Nigeria.

Anyway, I would advise him to get naturalized just to clear any doubts. cool

1 Like

Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by spectroscopic: 9:04am On Jul 11, 2015
jjshanana:

2 years? Sure?
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by spectroscopic: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2015
CFCfan:

Sure. And as either a Green card holder or US citizen, he would have to pay US federal taxes on every income he makes in Nigeria; provided that he earns over the equivalent of $400 in a year in Nigeria.

Anyway, I would advise him to get naturalized just to clear any doubts. cool

Yes we all know you need to pay taxes
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by Chydobe: 9:32pm On Jun 29, 2018
Back in the 80's, it was really a very difficult task to get the US Citizenship Application Form. People form very long and disturbing queues at the government office very early in the morning. Which seldom guarantee there getting the US Citizenship Application Form on that day. However, they still wait patiently for hours to obtain a form.

The good-news is, obtaining a US Citizenship Application Form today is as easy as...click on link below for more details

http://www.newzified.com/us-citizenship-application-form-free-download-us-citizenship-form-n-400-online/
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by BabaRamota1980: 11:21pm On Jun 29, 2018
spectroscopic:
A Nigerian friend of mine has just found himself in a dilemma. He asked for my advise and because I do not have all the answers for him, I thought I might get ideas from Nigerians online. Could you advise what my friend can do to eat his cake and still have it?

Here are the scenarios:

1. He holds a US green card (GC)
2. He will be eligible to apply for citizenship next year (after 5 years of holding the GC)
3. He is working and earning $aaa per month in the US
4. He recently got an international job in Nigeria where he will earn $aaa+aaa (all paid in dollars)
5. He hopes to take the opportunity to invest in landed properties in Nigeria, something he has not been able to do from the US as of yet
6. However, moving to Nigeria has some implications for his pursuit of the US citizenship as you have to be resident in the US, and not be out of country for an ''extended'' period of time
7. It is unclear what ''extended'' means (six months, one year?)

Your suggestions are welcome
Please no cussing, envy, hating, etc. Thanks

With that amount of earnings he needs to retain a immigtation lawyer. Simple!
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by SalamRushdie: 12:01am On Jun 30, 2018
Problems only a Nigerian can have ...you can never see a swede , Japanese, South Korean or German having such problem in the first place... We need to rethink our existence because we don't even know what we want in the first place
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by sarrki(m): 12:06am On Jun 30, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Problems only a Nigerian can have ...you can never see a swede , Japanese, South Korean or German having such problem in the first place... We need to rethink our existence because we don't even know what we want in the first place

God Bless you

2 Likes

Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by Adelaide2: 1:34am On Jun 30, 2018
Take the Nigerian job and re-enter the US after every 6 months to maintain physical presence until your naturalization petition is approved one year later. Just look for an international conference to attend in the US so your company bears the travel costs.
Re: US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 30, 2018
He should talk to an attorney for best advice, it all depends on what he wants.

As for me, even if they decide to make me a General in the Nigerian Army today, I can't stay unless they want me to operate from here. My problem isn't just more money, it's also good life. I'll rather live where a little more years of life can be plausible.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CCB Begins Probe Of Pro- Saraki Senators / Massive Protest In Onitsha Demanding Release Of Nnamdi Kanu (pic) / Revealed how Govenor Wike Influenced Supreme Court Ruling – Peterside-Daily post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.