Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK (43219 Views)

Already Admitted Students Will Not Write 2017 UTME - JAMB / Ugandan Lady Banned From Attending Classes For Wearing Mini-skirt / 10 Pictures Only Nigerian University Students Will Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by gidjah(m): 11:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
Nigerians should try US or canada...they are better
education in America ain't cheap, you pay in millions per session o ,that's why most of our parents can't send their kids there

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by cabayes: 11:56pm On Jul 12, 2015
Baroba:

I knew this was coming, the number of weddings between Nigerian students and EU nationals is alarming, it was only a matter of time before Cameron with his anti immigration policies clamp down on this.

Surviving in England without work will be very very difficult, its difficult as it is on just 20 hrs of work a week, i dont even want to imagine what it will be without none...I will advice any one thinking of studying in UK to have a serious rethink. Canada and Australia presents better proposition in my opinion..

Australian master is quite expensive. Its twice the fee of a UK masters.
I don't see a problem with their restrictions since its a tier 4 visa. The thing is the marriage option has always been an avenue for serious international students who want to live and work in the UK. Why is that Nigerians do not marry the UK/Nigerian citizens ? Are they restricted to whites when it cones to marriage??

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by dallyemmy: 12:01am On Jul 13, 2015
Why not stay in your country apply to a Nigerian university and invest the rest of money instead of going to where you ll treated shabbily?

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by Nobody: 3:56am On Jul 13, 2015

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by peeta89(m): 7:08am On Jul 13, 2015
It's not their fault at all. If our governments both past and present have fixed all our schools and make them standard who will think of travelling abroad to study??

God please give our leaders WISDOM to know what to do at the right time.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 13, 2015
England will surely regret this move.
The lure to UK is the stay after masters or degree courses.
If this is removed no one will intentionally take the pain in the study.

Plus they want to make money from the student visa, plus the work visa and as well permanent stay visa.

Greed.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 13, 2015
cabayes:

Australian master is quite expensive. Its twice the fee of a UK masters.
I don't see a problem with their restrictions since its a tier 4 visa.The thing is the marriage option has always been an avenue for serious international students who want to live and work in the UK. Why is that Nigerians do not marry the UK/Nigerian citizens ? Are they restricted to whites when it cones to marriage??
Gbam!You spoke exactly what's on my mind bro.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by grandpuba: 8:38am On Jul 13, 2015
Hmmmm it will definitely affect their Economic and Education system and trust Nigerians they will divert interest to other countries.but I think it will also help us to think deep and inwardly in making Africa and Nigeria a better place for us all .Studying or living in UK is not the beginning or end of the world and I urge Nigerians not to see it that way.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by carpenter(m): 9:25am On Jul 13, 2015
The UK has told us what they want which is a good step. When applying for a student visa, you know you get to go to school alone. If you do well, a company may be interested in you and sponsor your work visa to bring you back after your education is complete. This might even make you work harder in school. If the investment in education in the UK is not worth it, go to another country or better still remain in Nigeria and study. It may have been fair to look for those defaulting on their promises but we all know that will take too much energy to sort out so they result to a blanket rule which still seems fair. I don't know where we sometimes get this our sense of entitlement and cannot demand the same in our country. All the best guys.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by gbishman: 10:09am On Jul 13, 2015
Men, this Brits really have disaster coming their way. Come to think of it how many Brits attend universities, how many Brits study courses like engineering or medicine, how many can afford to pay hard currency like the foreigners pay. So i think it will be wise for the British govt to heed what Seamus Nevin has said and see how best to manage and obtain best value of the situation rather than repatriate scholars out of Britain.
They too should realise they are they ones suppose to be accused of preventing parent countries of the students from benefiting from the scholars sent there to train.
This is quite insulting and embarassing.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by omoharry(f): 10:24am On Jul 13, 2015
ronald4lif:
The British natives have developed a habit to blame everyone else but themselves for their woes and the economic hardship bedevilling their country and Europe. Today they moan about EU migrants taking up top jobs and protest on leaving the European union if certain rules are not amended in Brussels, next day they fault non-EU immigrants. Who are they deceiving?. They never fault their lazy citizens who depends on state handouts for livelihood and teenagers who keeps breeding on council flats. Nonsense.

Foreign students are entitled to only 20hours per week employment which doesn't amount to nothing in a country where cost of living is extremely high and among the top nations of high taxation. Foreign students particularly Nigerians should focus on migrating to Canada where they stand a better chance of securing residence after their studies than the UK. Britain should be for students who intends of moving back home after studies and nothing else.
At least they are better than South Africa that will we rather go on killing spree instead of tightening their immigration laws. SOUTH AFRICANS SHOULD LEARN FROM THE UK.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by Junipero: 10:29am On Jul 13, 2015
Learn German and come to Germany
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by free37: 11:24am On Jul 13, 2015
Hmm....uk
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by laudate: 2:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
ttmacoy:
Firstly non EU student do not always pay double. Secondly even if they did it is subsidised by the government using the taxes they pay. Thirdly even for EU and UK students there is talk about increasing fees again for them.

As an international student, you are paying for the education not the right to remain in the UK but we seem to think they are both the same thing and being an international student should automatically give you the right to remain and work.

Yes the Uni's will feel it, but they will adjust. The decision is for the good of the overall UK economy as the cost of uncontrolled immigration on the NHS, primary and secondary school places and transportation is very high and increasing with more and more EU national moving to the UK.

The UNI'S can open campuses outside the UK if they are want more international students can't they? Nottingham has campuses in Malaysia and the Middle East don't they?

As I said for the good universities, they will fine. For those below par they will struggle and have to adjust accordingly.

If your aim as most of us claim when we apply for the student visa is to return home, then what is the problem?

If you know your aim is to try to stay behind then at this point Canada, Australia are better options. This will always change with time based on the immigration needs of each country at each point in time.

Bros, I don't know where you got the idea that non-EU students do not always pay double of what is paid as fees by UK and EU students. Have you done a comparison of school fees recently in British universities, for non-EU and EU students?? Especially for the first year?? shocked

If you feel they do not always pay double, please provide proof, oh! Because those who pay these fees know where the shoe pinches!

As for the British universities feeling the pinch, then they should be able to advise their govt accordingly of the repercussions of the decisions they take. sad

Most students want to return home, but back home there is a lot of bias against graduates without work experience. It doesn't matter if you are from a foreign university or a local one. The one or two years experience on your CV (especially if it is done at a multinational organisation), can make or mar your chances of entry into a good job, in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by ttmacoy: 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
Not all universities change double for non EU students. Some do yes, those higher up the rankings who can justify more than double the £9k max for home students, but most of the schools we pursue here on nairaland are the lower ranking schools and cheaper. What is the percentage of UK universities who charge 18k and above?

Irrespective of charging double or not, the universities are free to charge whatever they want as people have a choice so if you believe the likes of LSE is worth the fees then you go for it and you would probably have a better chance of getting a graduate role with a company that will sponsor you. If not you apply to cheaper schools. You also have the choice of applying to the US, Australia etc.

UK schools are still cheaper than American schools aren't they? That is still no justification to expect from right to stay and work.

The issue you mention about not being able to get a job without experience is a failure of the Nigerian government and cannot be passed to the UK government. The UK government will make immigration policies to benefit UK citizens and economy and not Nigeria.

Is it easier to get work permit in the USA? There are only 65k H1 visas each year and mostly taken up by top MBA students and companies from the likes of India transferring people to the US so how many do international students get?

As I've said the UK have been very clear about their immigration policy and intent so people have information to make a decision. If you are sure you are going back then fine, if not pursue other options while they are attractive because the likes of Canada and Australia will not always be relatively easy. It will change based on circumstances.

laudate:

Bros, I don't know where you got the idea that non-EU students do not always pay double of what is paid as fees by UK and EU students. Have you done a comparison of school fees recently in British universities, for non-EU and EU students?? Especially for the first year?? shocked

If you feel they do not always pay double, please provide proof, oh! Because those who pay these fees know where the shoe pinches!

As for the British universities feeling the pinch, then they should be able to advise their govt accordingly of the repercussions of the decisions they take. sad

Most students want to return home, but back home there is a lot of bias against graduates without work experience. It doesn't matter if you are from a foreign university or a local one. The one or two years experience on your CV (especially if it is done at a multinational organisation), can make or mar your chances of entry into a good job, in Nigeria.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by laudate: 2:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
ttmacoy:
Not all universities change double for non EU students. Some do yes, those higher up the rankings who can justify more than double the £9k max for home students, but most of the schools we pursue here on nairaland are the lower ranking schools and cheaper.

Irrespective of changing double or not, the universities are free to charge whatever they want as people have a choice so if you believe the likes of LSE is worth the feed then you for if not you apply to cheaper schools. You also have the choice of applying to the US, Australia etc.

UK schools are still cheaper than American schools aren't they? That is still no justification to expect from right to stay and work.

The issue you mention about not being able to get a job without experience is a failure of the Nigerian government and cannot be passed to the UK government. The UK government will make immigration policy to benefit UK citizens and economy and not Nigeria.

Is it easier to ge work permit in the USA? There are only 65k H1 visas each year and mostly taken up by top MBA students and companies transferring people to the US so how many do international students get?

As I've said the UK have been. Wry clear about their immigration policy and intent so people make a decision. If you are sure you are going back then fine, if not pursue other options while they ar attractive because the likes of Canada and Australia will not always be relatively easy.

It will change based on circumstances.

Ok Bros, point taken. You sound like a British consular officer. Hold on to your UK schools. I hope Nigerians will read this, and stop wasting their money going to all those British schools.

N.B: Please post the list of schools that do not charge non-EU students double what the EU & UK students pay, or those that do not charge non-EU students higher fees, than those paid by EU students. We need proof. Thanks.

Finally, not every one is expecting the right to stay and work. But if it was a valid scheme in existence, at the time the student made a decision to go abroad to study, it might have been one of the factors that influenced the student to choose a British university, instead of a higher institution in another country. Some of the agents that market these British schools in Nigeria, often use it as a selling point to woo students to the UK.

It is time the Nigerian govt banned them from coming in here, sef! angry

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by laudate: 2:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
zilokontah:
England will surely regret this move.
The lure to UK is the stay after masters or degree courses.
If this is removed no one will intentionally take the pain in the study.

Plus they want to make money from the student visa, plus the work visa and as well permanent stay visa.

Greed.

Hehehe.... hope more Nigerians will learn from this. Hypocritical Brits.. They won't say no to taking your money, but will give all kinds of negative conditions when it comes to the benefits that are supposed to come with it.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by ttmacoy: 3:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
I am not a consular officer, i am just being logical here. We can't be trying to pass the failure of our government on another country and be having a sense of entitlement.

Nigerians looking for cheap schools and who hope to work abroad should stay away from the UK now because they will find it very hard.

If your plan is to get your degree and leave then fine. If you plan to work in the UK, make sure you are going to a very good school with strong on campus recruiting for graduate roles with companies who sponsor for work permits.

It's very simple and straightforward.

I believe this is a also a sense check for Nigerian students who just flock to get degree abroad just because it is a fad and not because they actually have a plan/goal or know what they are doing or getting into. Obviously not everyone falls into this category, but many do. They just want to go abroad to study because it is the next step. In the 70s and 80s, it was the best of the best who went to study abroad and came back to good government and private jobs, but the whole system is upside down now with no logic.

Look at China, they send their best to the top schools abroad to go and come back to very good jobs. Look at the stats of tops schools like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc, they are full of Chinese, Indians etc and for example Oxford only had 2 Nigerians enroll last year, but look at the stats of the lower ranked and cheaper schools full of Nigerians.

See below Nottingham which is one of the top school's fee table.

For undergrad they charge the max 9k (which may increase soon) and the max for international is 18k which is double, but for many courses it is cheaper. This is one of the more expensive schools as I said and not even all their courses are double. For the lower ranked schools they cannot justify charging 18k as they just do not have the reputation for that.

https://nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201516/ugcourses201516.aspx

See below the post graduate fee table where they charge a lot more for home students sometimes up to 14k, and the max for international is 18k.

https://nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201516/pgtcourses201516.aspx

If you check the lower ranked schools the international fees is lower and these are all still cheaper than US schools.

laudate:

Ok Bros, point taken. You sound like a British consular officer. Hold on to your UK schools. I hope Nigerians will read this, and stop wasting their money going to all those British schools.

N.B: Please post the list of schools that do not charge non-EU students, double what the EU & UK students pay, or those that do not charge non-EU students higher fees, than those paid by EU students. We need proof. Thanks.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by laudate: 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2015
ttmacoy:
I am not a consular officer, i am just being logical here. We can't be trying to pass the failure of our government on another country and be having a sense of entitlement.

Nigerians looking for cheap schools and who hope to work abroad should stay away from the UK now because they will find it very hard.

If your plan is to get your degree and leave then fine. If you plan to work in the UK, make sure you are going to a very good school with strong on campus recruiting for graduate roles with companies who sponsor for work permits.

It's very simple and straightforward.

See below Nottingham which is one of the top school's fee table.

For undergrad they charge the max 9k (which may increase soon) and the max for international is 18k which is double, but for many courses it is cheaper. This is one of the more expensive schools as I said and not even all their courses are double. For the lower ranked schools they cannot justify charging 18k as they just do not have the reputation for that.

https://nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201516/ugcourses201516.aspx

See below the post graduate fee table where they charge a lot more for home students sometimes up to 14k, and the max for international is 18k.

https://nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201516/pgtcourses201516.aspx

If you check the lower ranked schools the international fees is lower and these are all still cheaper than US schools.

Bros, what is Nottingham's rating on the list of top schools in the UK? You had earlier made the comparison between Nigerians who went abroad in the old days to study and chose Oxford, Cambridge etc versus those going there now, who select East London Uni and others.

So why use Nottingham as a yardstick? Is this the only uni in the UK that charges comparatively lower fees in the UK for non-EU students, when compared with other British universities??

Pls post the list of other universities whose fees are as low as Nottingham. Thanks. Like I added in my last post: "Finally, not every one is expecting the right to stay and work. But if it was a valid scheme in existence, at the time the student made a decision to go abroad to study, it might have been one of the factors that influenced the student to choose a British university, instead of a higher institution in another country. Some of the agents that market these British schools in Nigeria, often use it as a selling point to woo students to the UK. "

Anyway, we get your message loud and clear. Oh ye Nigerians, stop going to British universities! They want just your money, but don't want you! And since they have failed to manage their immigration problems, they want to use you as scapegoats....
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by ttmacoy: 3:21pm On Jul 13, 2015
I cannot post all universities who do not charge double as I do not have the time, but see below a sample:

LSE is a top top school for Finance, and they charge max 16k which is less than double the 9k for home students.

At the lower end of the spectrum is London Met which charges 10k just 1k more than home students because as i said in my earlier post they just do not have the reputation to charge more.

If you attend the likes of the LSE, there is no way you will not get a job unless you do poorly in the course. I'm not saying the jobs will be easy to get, but you have access to the top employers on campus and have no excuse.

laudate:

Bros, what is Nottingham's rating on the list of top schools in the UK? You had earlier made the comparison between Nigerians who went abroad in the old days to study and chose Oxford, Cambridge etc versus those going there now, who select East London Uni and others.

So why use Nottingham as a yardstick? Is this the only uni in the UK that charges comparatively lower fees in the UK for non-EU students, when compared with other British universities??

Pls post the list of other universities whose fees are as low as Nottingham. Thanks. Like I added in my last post: "Finally, not every one is expecting the right to stay and work. But if it was a valid scheme in existence, at the time the student made a decision to go abroad to study, it might have been one of the factors that influenced the student to choose a British university, instead of a higher institution in another country. Some of the agents that market these British schools in Nigeria, often use it as a selling point to woo students to the UK. "

Anyway, we get your message loud and clear. Oh ye Nigerians, stop going to British universities! They want just your money, but don't want you! And since they have failed to manage their immigration problems, they want to use you as scapegoats....

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by ttmacoy: 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
Here you can see LSE charges the same for home and internationals for masters courses as they are not capped by the government to 9k compared to undergrad.

Yes they are using international students as scape goat because they cannot control EU migration. As I said it makes logical sense. IF Nigeria were in such a situation where people from West Africa were flooding in, I would hope the Nigerian government would take steps to ensure Nigerians are protected with jobs however they can.

Are you telling me that if our universities were good enough to attract lots of students from Ghana etc, and we had the job situation we currently have where there are not enough jobs for Nigerian graduates, would you expect the Nigerian government to open up it's borders and allow all in or would you expect them to take steps to ensure Nigerians their responsibility are protected?

laudate:

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by laudate: 3:48pm On Jul 13, 2015
ttmacoy:
Here you can see LSE charges the same for home and internationals for masters courses as they are not capped by the government to 9k compared to undergrad.

Yes they are using international students as scape goat because they cannot control EU migration. As I said it makes logical sense. IF Nigeria were in such a situation where people from West Africa were flooding in, I would hope the Nigerian government would take steps to ensure Nigerians are protected with jobs however they can.

Are you telling me that if our universities were good enough to attract lots of students from Ghana etc, and we had the job situation we currently have where there are not enough jobs for Nigerian graduates, would you expect the Nigerian government to open up it's borders and allow all in or would you expect them to take steps to ensure Nigerians their responsibility are protected?

Ok, thanks for posting the list of schools.

A lot of Nigerian students are however not taking jobs meant for the British or EU people. Most of them take the dead-end jobs with low wages, that British & EU citizens do not want or the ones they hold in disdain. undecided

As to your question on if the Nigerian govt would react the same way, if West Africans flooded their markets to take jobs meant for their citizens, then I would advise the govt to check what gives those West Africans the edge over the local citizens in the job market.

Then find out if the employers are bending the rules to favour these West Africans over the local people and why.

A number of countries have a policy that bars employers from engaging foreign nationals to carry out a job as long as there is a qualified local citizen, to do such jobs. I believe that in the case of the UK, enforcing such policies and monitoring the activities of employers would work much better, than using non-EU students as scape goats.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by ttmacoy: 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2015
I get your point and I agree that while international students do pose some problems, there are lots more EU citizens coming over, but if you think of it logically you will see that they can on focus on internationals as EU citizens are protected by EU laws.

Regarding menial jobs, is this what international students should be doing really? Also many EU people are doing the menial jobs. Those from the poorer countries come everyday for these jobs. I met a woman who was a doctor in Romania but who came to the UK to work as a pharmacy assistance because she warned a lot more than being a doctor in Romania.

Polish, Bulgarians etc are folding to do h farming labour ever harvesting season they are doing all the menial jobs because they still warm and lot more than in their countries.

As I Nigerian obviously I feel bad, but logically they ar doing what they have to do.

We just need to be aware so we making the right choice and focus on countries with more favourable policies.

At some point the UK will change again as these decisions are never permanent.

laudate:

Ok, thanks for posting the list of schools.

A lot of Nigerian students are however not taking jobs meant for the British or EU people. Most of them take the dead-end jobs with low wages, that British & EU citizens do not want or the ones they hold in disdain. undecided

As to your question on if the Nigerian govt would react the same way, if West Africans flooded their markets to take jobs meant for their citizens, then I would advise the govt to check what gives those West Africans the edge over the local citizens in the job market.

Then find out if the employers are bending the rules to favour these West Africans over the local people and why.

A number of countries have a policy that bars employers from engaging foreign nationals to carry out a job as long as there is a qualified local citizen, to do such jobs. I believe that in the case of the UK, enforcing such policies and monitoring the activities of employers would work much better, than using non-EU students as scape goats.
Re: Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK by souljaboi51(m): 10:05am On Jul 14, 2015
peeta89:
It's not their fault at all. If our governments both past and present have fixed all our schools and make them standard who will think of travelling abroad to study??

God please give our leaders WISDOM to know what to do at the right time.
AMEN!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Things Every Nigerian Will Remember About Reproductn Class In Secndry Sch. / Dirty Toilets At Unilag Hostels / Mother Beats Up Teachers In Ibadan School For Disciplining Her Daughter (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.