Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,514 members, 7,850,776 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:49 AM

Ending My Marriage In The Only Country That Bans Divorce – Philippines - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ending My Marriage In The Only Country That Bans Divorce – Philippines (557 Views)

Girlfriend Drives Lover's $100k Benz Into Pool For Ending The Relationship (pics / Should I Cancel My Marriage Plans? / How Do I Make My Manhood Bigger, Fatter And Long Lasting To Save My Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ending My Marriage In The Only Country That Bans Divorce – Philippines by PANACHE2: 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2015
MANILA, Philippines—The call came in the middle of a workday. My lawyer’s name flashed on the caller-ID screen, and there was no small talk when I picked up.

“I have the court decision,” she said.

She was literally holding my future in her hands, in the form of an annulment decision we had sought for four years. After opening the envelope, she rambled a bit, skimming the contents out loud to fill the dead air.

Then she paused.

“Petition approved. Congratulations!” she said. “You are now a free woman!”

I had finally gotten out of my long-dead marriage in the devoutly Catholic Philippines, the only country in the world (other than Vatican City) where divorce is not legal. Two people can voluntarily choose to love, honor, and remain faithful to each other, but in the Philippines it is pretty much only through death, or the torturously long process of annulment, that they can part.

I had walked out on my marriage five years earlier and had barely spoken with my daughter’s father for just as long, but on paper he was still my husband. I was a single woman, but I was not free. My name was only half mine—all my identification papers remained in my married name. Any major purchase I made would be considered conjugal property. If I got into a new relationship, I risked being charged with adultery and jailed.

I was 28 when I left my husband, 29 when I finally decided—against my family’s wishes and without their support—to file for annulment. I was 33 when I received the court decision. And on the phone that day, I felt like the oldest 33-year-old in the world.

Under Philippine law, two people wishing to end their marriage have limited options. They can file for legal separation, which will allow them to separate their possessions and live apart, but does not legally end a marital union and thus does not permit remarriage. They can file for divorce if they are among the estimated 5 percent of the population that is Muslim and is governed by the Code of Muslim Personal Laws.
To Continue reading click source: www.fixmeblog.com

1 Like

Re: Ending My Marriage In The Only Country That Bans Divorce – Philippines by sinaj(f): 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: Ending My Marriage In The Only Country That Bans Divorce – Philippines by ellapius(f): 6:05pm On Jul 12, 2015
congrats hope ur lover I not too far now

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Wiser? / Dating Tips For Singles, A Must Read / Lol, Eminem Makes Fun Of Caitlyn Jenner In An 8minutes Freestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.