Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,814 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? (69123 Views)

Here Is When NYSC 2017 Batch A Stream II Is Going To Camp / Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by teabully(m): 5:49pm On Jul 13, 2015
KingsJohnson:

if thatz d case, then no cause 4 alarm cus dis guy got talent lyk devil, so in few years 2 cum, government n job wil be d one looking 4 him n not d oda way round.
and why are u now seeking for public opinion snc u knw he has got many talents.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by locosis007(m): 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2015
if he can get exemption letter, he's good to go. cos some students like part timers and odas can't go for Nysc yet they work
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Adeboyefa(f): 6:38pm On Jul 13, 2015
emmatok:

OK,

Any student without exemption letter that decides not to serve is wasting his/her time.
You can can get your exemption even if you are not up to 30, e.g if you have health issues.
Thats way i am always angry seeing pregnant women coming to camp, some are even nursing mothers, they should be exempted.

According to http://www.nysc.gov.ng/certificates-info/cr-cert-exemption.php , "With effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification" :
1.He is over the age of thirty (30) years.
2.He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
3.He is a member of staff of any of the following:
a.The Nigerian Security Organization or
b.The State Security Service, or
c.The National Intelligence Agency or
d.The Defence Intelligence Service
4.He has been conferred with any National Honour.
These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the Certificates of Exemption.
-------------

I haven't seen exemption of ill ,pregnant or nursing people there. Pls tell NYSC to include it on their website to clear the air.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Adortem: 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2015
You would know the implications when you see the consequences...I know someone that slapped the NYSC camp director while in camp,he was dismissed. He never got a "real" job since then, about 10 years ago. No NYSC certificate na "gobe",if you can get an exemption,please do,but if you are below 30,I mean your birth certificate says you are below 30 and you present an exemption for an employment,be prepared to answer a lot of questions,some may not even give you an audience...
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by wisdomiskey(m): 7:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
Adortem:
You would know the consequences when you see the implications

wetin u tlk
nysc na certificate
to heaven?
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Adortem: 7:48pm On Jul 13, 2015
Adortem:
You would know the implications when you see the consequences
grin
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by edesumpitor: 7:55pm On Jul 13, 2015
I am happy to come across this discussion.I have a case which has been bothering me.I did my HND from Imo state Polytechnic,calabar.It's a part time program.I opted for that because of financial reasons.I was already engaged in a little way that could help me complete the program.I graduated with upper credit,Accountancy(which I can stand anywhere to defend).Now the rector is insisting that students from all satellite campuses cannot go for NYSC.I am still 3 years below the age of 30.I am desperately preparing to go for ICAN but the body needs NYSC certification.Should I go for exemption or wait since I understand the case in the school is still undergoing deliberations.Time is very much of essence.What should I do?,I am really disturbed.Useful advice please.Thank you all.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by nebukadnezzari(m): 8:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
Bhella5:
Nigerian students in abroad are coming home for that certificate this one is rushing abroad without it. Better think twice and get street OT

Na mumu dem be, how will I study abroad finish n rush back to Nigeria to serve a country riddled by thieves in high offices, omo I go go work for middle east where the pounds sterling dey flow.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Bhella5(m): 9:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
nebukadnezzari:

Na mumu dem be, how will I study abroad finish n rush back to Nigeria to serve a country riddled by thieves in high offices, omo I go go work for middle east where the pounds sterling dey flow.

You have a very big ROCK on your shoulder that you call HEAD bros! You are not smarter than those 'mumu' Ode!

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by nebukadnezzari(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2015
Bhella5:

You have a very big ROCK on your shoulder that you call HEAD bros! You are not smarter than those 'mumu' Ode!

Bro I'm currently thinking of absconding NYSC self getting my visa to Kuwait soon where at least 1 dinar equals #700 let me see if I work there for 10 years how your net worth in Nigeria will match my shoe collection... BABA WAKE UP. ITS NO LONGER ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW, ITS ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU CAN SPEND!!! Nobody will value you if you are a poor church rat after acquiring the whole paper qualifications in Nigeria, I have seen so many broke professors in this lifetime.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Bhella5(m): 9:16pm On Jul 13, 2015
nebukadnezzari:

Bro I'm currently thinking of absconding NYSC self getting my visa to Kuwait soon where at least 1 dinar equals #700 let me see if I work there for 10 years how your net worth in Nigeria will match my shoe collection... BABA WAKE UP. ITS NO LONGER ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW, ITS ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU CAN SPEND!!! Nobody will value you if you are a poor church rat after acquiring the whole paper qualifications in Nigeria, I have seen so many broke professors in this lifetime.
Pipe dreams!
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by nebukadnezzari(m): 9:24pm On Jul 13, 2015
Bhella5:

Pipe dreams!

Your mindset and that of those who have been fooling you has crumbled with the old era of stereotypical belief. WAKE UP!!! Lest your slumber ferries you to frustration, brokeness and death.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Bhella5(m): 9:57pm On Jul 13, 2015
nebukadnezzari:

Your mindset and that of those who have been fooling you has crumbled with the old era of stereotypical belief. WAKE UP!!! Lest your slumber ferries you to frustration, brokeness and death.
Wow! Am impressed. I wonder if I should treat u as a crass or a trash. Take a pick.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by emmatok(m): 10:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
Adeboyefa:

According to http://www.nysc.gov.ng/certificates-info/cr-cert-exemption.php , "With effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification" :
1.He is over the age of thirty (30) years.
2.He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
3.He is a member of staff of any of the following:
a.The Nigerian Security Organization or
b.The State Security Service, or
c.The National Intelligence Agency or
d.The Defence Intelligence Service
4.He has been conferred with any National Honour.
These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the Certificates of Exemption.
-------------

I haven't seen exemption of ill ,pregnant or nursing people there. Pls tell NYSC to include it on their website to clear the air.

Most NYSC camps do pregnancy test .

...........All around the camp, NYSC had posted signs saying PREGNANT OR NURSING MOTHERS ARE FORBIDDEN FROM SERVING. I worry that while they force pregnancy tests on us this year, the next year they may force ‘nursing mothers’ tests on all serving female Corpers, asking us to strip down as they feel our breasts to see if they are producing milk........
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2009/12/forced-open-air-pregnancy-tests-at-nysc-camp/
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by solomonsojay(m): 11:59pm On Jul 13, 2015
edesumpitor:
I am happy to come across this discussion.I have a case which has been bothering me.I did my HND from Imo state Polytechnic,calabar.It's a part time program.I opted for that because of financial reasons.I was already engaged in a little way that could help me complete the program.I graduated with upper credit,Accountancy(which I can stand anywhere to defend).Now the rector is insisting that students from all satellite campuses cannot go for NYSC.I am still 3 years below the age of 30.I am desperately preparing to go for ICAN but the body needs NYSC certification.Should I go for exemption or wait since I understand the case in the school is still undergoing deliberations.Time is very much of essence.What should I do?,I am really disturbed.Useful advice please.Thank you all.

the certificate is as good as the name on it. be it exemption or discharge...d exemption state u are very qualified to serve but above the stipulated age of 30. cos den u fit break leg in drilling process as old man concern cheesy while u may miss the cash u gain the certificate. NTSC was meant to help the youths both socially, financially n mentally in both personal n nation building at large, to encourage unity n Peace + give a taste of responsibility n self reliance.
the certificate show u are responsible n support naija peace n unity even the the exemption but u just miss d cash cos u be agbalagba (big man) (the law that all P.T students Wont serve was made my naija so don't be alarmed go collect exemption joor n stop wasting or time.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by olatricia(m): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
First Error. ICAN does not need your NYSC certificate to register you for the program.

edesumpitor:

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Ultimate001: 6:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
KingsJohnson:
Fellow Nairalanders, pls i do have a friend who will be graduating come this October, but he is indecisive whether to go for NYSC or leave the shores of Nigeria for greener pasture.

Then my question is whether there is any implication for not going to Youth Service?
is he a unilorite?
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Baldmarv(m): 9:07am On Jul 15, 2015
jerflakes:

I beg to differ.

You guys keep forgetting that there's something like self-employment.

I think i said clearly "if you don't plan to look for work"
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Gemc3(f): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2015
Let him just close his eyes and do his NYSC. Just get it over with. You never know. It's just a year then he can chase all the green pasture he wants outside Nigeria.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Lakeland4321: 3:40pm On Jul 15, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
Yep, service isnt by force.
Its not true, its only if you graduated at 30,if before you will need to serve. If you wait till your above 30 so as to get the exemption cert.they will insist you go and serve becausr you graduated before 30. I agree nysc is overrated and shd be scrapped but for now we are stuck with it and the rules apply..
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by olatricia(m): 4:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
Please tell me an organization that has ever insisted you must serve because you are not up to 30 yrs old

Lakeland4321:
Its not true, its only if you graduated at 30,if before you will need to serve. If you wait till your above 30 so as to get the exemption cert.they will insist you go and serve becausr you graduated before 30. I agree nysc is overrated and shd be scrapped but for now we are stuck with it and the rules apply..
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Lakeland4321: 7:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
olatricia:
Please tell me an organization that has ever insisted you must serve because you are not up to 30 yrs old

Do not misunderstand me, I am not saying an organisation will insist you go an 'serve' before engagement, I mean that they will see through the lie that you were not yet 30 yet got an exemption. It becomes an integrity issue on your part except you mean the smaller firms that may not really dig into your CV to see all that but quote me, what we call Nigeria's fortune 500 companies will not engage you if you graduated before 30yrs and have an exemption cert.as against an NYSC cert.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
taiwolusol:

Nigeria is not serving me!

Honestly, I owe her no shii angry

I can only agree with you, if u were born abroad, schooled dere and u are serving in Nigeria. Apart from this reasons, you owe her your one year service, which off cause you have decided not to do afterall.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Eceebor: 11:55pm On Aug 23, 2015
Baldmarv:
IF one doesn't serve his nation, he wont be eligible for government Jobs or even any meaningful company in Nigeria...skip NYSC if you dont ever plan to look for work in Nigeria!

No necessarily, I got a job at a firm before I got my BSc... . If u know what u re doing and you re talented.. The jobs will come... nysc certificate or not

Am an architect..... And architectural firms look for those that can do the job.. .. dose with talents.. Those that work hard... And besides... ..when one gets his ARCON seal.... what relevance is the nysc certificate.. ...and besides therez always the Nigerian factor..... though it all depends on one's profession

In my opinion, D nysc has outlived its relevance.. .. At dis point it should not be compulsory.. ...
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 5:11am On Aug 24, 2015
justi4jesu:
No NYSC pictures to post on facebook,twitter and Instagram cheesy cheesy tongue

And this makes life any easier or better
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 6:33am On Aug 24, 2015
Gemc3:
Let him just close his eyes and do his NYSC. Just get it over with. You never know. It's just a year then he can chase all the green pasture he wants outside Nigeria.

It is "just" one year you say lipsrsealed
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Gemc3(f): 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2015
taiwolusol:

It is "just" one year you say lipsrsealed

Yes. That is what I said.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by senatorken01(m): 8:13pm On Aug 28, 2015
The Mini Importation BLUEPRINT
Discover how to start a mini importation bizzness with #10,000 or less and make a profit of over #150,000monthly.Visitwww.empirebuz.com.ng
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by og1ebere: 12:04pm On Nov 14, 2016
Found this thread very helpful, I want to know if anyone has an idea of how long na exemption certificate takes to be issued?
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by tetengi4life(m): 8:33am On Nov 15, 2016
Congratulations to the prospective and serving corps members. For those that wish to engage in personal community development service for humanity, state award or presidential award sake should go through this thread, where I coach people online, I shall materials (project application, solicitation letters, project analysis and experiences etc) FREE OF CHARGE

https://www.nairaland.com/3180268/nysc-personal-cds-procedures-made

I have also won the state award, hoping for the presidential award

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests / Nigerian Army Reacts To Officer Pouring Dirty Water On Corper In Calabar / NYSC Date Of Birth And Exemption Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.